CHRISTMAS BLIND DATE (ITV, 15:05) 9.7m
    ONE MORE AUDIENCE WITH DAME EDNA (ITV, 22:25) 9.5m
    CORONATION STREET (ITV, 19:15) 9.1m
    FILM : THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (ITV, 15:55) 8.5m
    CHRISTMAS MORNING WITH NOEL (BBC1, 11:00) 6.4m
    SAVE THE CHILDREN WITH MICHAEL CRAWFORD (ITV, 18:05) 6.2m
    IT'S A CHARITY KNOCKOUT (BBC1, 12:05) 6.2m
    BULLSEYE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL (ITV, 14:15) 5.7m
    Ratings not known for : The Queen (BBC1 & ITV 15:00), some news bulletins, and EastEnders Omnibus (BBC1, 13:00)
  • Options
    Ray TingsRay Tings Posts: 6,816
    Forum Member
    Monday 25th December 1989
    FILM : CROCODILE DUNDEE (BBC1, 18:15) 21.77m
    ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES (BBC1, 16:05) 20.12m
    NEWS AND WEATHER (BBC1, 17:30) 17.6m
    BREAD (BBC1, 15:15) 16.51m
    CORONATION STREET (ITV, 20:00) 16.22m
    THE QUEEN'S CHRISTMAS MESSAGE (BBC1, 15:00) 15.9m
    THE RUSS ABBOT CHRISTMAS SHOW (BBC1, 17:35) 15.01m
    FILM : DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS (ITV, 21:00) 12.4m
    NEWS AND WEATHER (BBC1, 22:10) 11.6m
    AFTER HENRY (ITV, 20:30) 11.58m
    TOP OF THE POPS CHRISTMAS SHOW (BBC1, 14:00) 11.38m
    FILM : CLOCKWISE (BBC1, 22:20) 10.94m
    MISS MARPLE : A CARIBBEAN MYSTERY (BBC1, 19:50) 10.31m
    IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH (BBC1, 21:40) 9.42m
    STRIKE IT LUCKY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL (ITV, 17:40) 8.78m
    COMEDY CHRISTMAS BOX (ITV, 18:30) 7.3m
    DAD'S ARMY (BBC1, 12:30) (Repeat) 6.7m
    THE QUEEN'S CHRISTMAS MESSAGE (ITV, 15:00) 6.2m
    Ratings not known for : Noel's Christmas Presents (BBC1, 11:00), Porridge (repeat) (BBC1, 12:00), On Her Majesty's Secret Service (ITV, 12:25), Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em (repeat) (BBC1, 13:10), The B.F.G. (ITV, 15:15), Home and Away (ITV, 17:00) and ITV's news bulletins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the Barb site update, interesting that Katie Hopkins is nowhere to be seen in the TLC top 10, w/e 30th Aug. Am assuming there *was* a Katie show on in that week...not that anyone would have noticed or cared, by the looks of it.

What on earth was the channel thinking?!!!
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    But it isn't in the BBC's interest to take on ITV more in terms of clashes. Ultimately they will be the ones to suffer if they were seen to be trying to kill off a commercial broadcaster. Plus ITV have their own weapons. What happens if they respond by slapping Corrie in EE slot instead of ED? Then EE would be in trouble.
    northlad wrote: »
    Why would you do that when it would be against the terms of your charter.

I am not talking about trying to kill off anything, I am talking of healthy competition something which ITV always say they are fine with until they start to lose than they cry foul. :D

What I am saying is that over the years BBC have given a lot of ITV big hitters an almost clear run but there is nothing wrong with challenging them. There are lots of examples for instance of 2 dramas doing very well despite going head to head.

Fair to say that ITV have also done this with BBC big hitters too. Also while ITV have options as you put it I think BBC have far more but we dont wont an all out war because then everybody will lose.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    That only shows that Cohen is useless not that there are not good arguments to be made.

Sure you havent got the ITV rose tinted specs on? :)

I think it certainly shows Cohen up!

Nope, pretty sure I haven't. I think you might have the BBC ones on though, given how many times you feel the need to defend them.

Whilst scheduling Strictly in later slots might damage X Factor, in the long run it is the BBC who will be damaged most if they schedule too aggressively. :)
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Ray Tings wrote: »
    Friday 25th December 1987
    Sunday 25th December 1988
    Monday 25th December 1989

WOW! This is phenomenal thank you so much. If you have anymore then please share. 1988 was a bit of an uneventful Christmas Day it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    I think it certainly shows Cohen up!

Nope, pretty sure I haven't. I think you might have the BBC ones on though, given how many times you feel the need to defend them.

Whilst scheduling Strictly in later slots might damage X Factor, in the long run it is the BBC who will be damaged most if they schedule too aggressively. :)

Ah - but I only defend if I see an attack, especially one I dont agree with. I think this whole discussion about the 15 min clash has been blown out of all proportion and thats why I have defended so strongly.

Can you explain how SCD is being aggressively scheduled this year compared to last or is it just another assumption?
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Top of The Pops in 1988 getting 10 million on Christmas Day! I seem to remember ITV having a pop video compilation or something similar

However for a step back in time to 1987 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4g4pzbpeCM
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah - but I only defend if I see an attack, especially one I dont agree with. I think this whole discussion about the 15 min clash has been blown out of all proportion and thats why I have defended so strongly.

Can you explain how SCD is being aggressively scheduled this year compared to last or is it just another assumption?

You do tend to defend them against pretty much any allegation against them though.

I think that the fact it was down for 7pm with XF at 8.15pm in the initial exchange and then they shifted it to create a 20 minute overlap was pretty shifty. More aggressive than last year? We'll have to see as the weeks go on. But the point I was making is that too much aggressive scheduling (not just with Strictly but across the board) could well come back to haunt them and do more damage to themselves than to ITV.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I would disagree about there is that they are as guilty as each other when 90% of the clashes are caused by ITV. Personally I would take ITV on a lot more if I were the BBC.
    But it isn't in the BBC's interest to take on ITV more in terms of clashes. Ultimately they will be the ones to suffer if they were seen to be trying to kill off a commercial broadcaster. Plus ITV have their own weapons. What happens if they respond by slapping Corrie in EE slot instead of ED? Then EE would be in trouble.
    northlad wrote: »
    Why would you do that when it would be against the terms of your charter.

Why would you "take ITV on a lot more" - there's no need to at the BBC because they have perfectly well rated shows that are strong enough to stand on their own 2 feet without looking over their shoulder at the other channel. It is more understandable for ITV to engineer clashes as they are a commercial broadcaster trying to get the highest rating figures in order to satisfy advertisers and investors. The BBC is quite the opposite - a PSB that whilst it should be looking to have healthy viewing figures for their top shows they should not be resorting to going down the avenue of point scoring - they are above that and a different model to ITV.

I agree with ...bwfc - it's not about trying to get one over a commercial channel - not behaving like that shouldn't be seen as a sign of weakness, moreso a PSB that is professional and will not rise to any bait that ITV puts out. I would think more highly of the BBC if they didn't resort to such tactics and rose above any shenanigans ITV conjures up.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, Strictly should move earlier to give XF a better chance of higher ratings. ITV afterall rely on advertising income.

I can hear the BBC society sharpening their knives as I type.:D
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who is on at 19.45 on the 19th clashing for 30 mins with XF I assume ITV will complain about that as well. Pointless is on at 7 pm.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Doctor Who is on at 19.45 on the 19th clashing for 30 mins with XF I assume ITV will complain about that as well. Pointless is on at 7 pm.

As much as I hate Doctor Who and dislike Strictly and Pointless, you cannot argue that thats a solid lineup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JordyD wrote: »
    To be fair, Strictly should move earlier to give XF a better chance of higher ratings. ITV afterall rely on advertising income.

I can hear the BBC society sharpening their knives as I type.:D

There is only one way to resolve this ................. FIGHT !! :D
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    If it isn't a huge sin, then why do you appear to have a problem with it?

Why are you asking me questions I have already answered? I don't have a problem with it really. The point I was defending was the pro BBC innocence view on here that has no logical reasoning attached to it with regards to this particular clash. It's a bit of a dirty tactic and it certainly makes no sense for the BBC to do it imo, especially considering that The X Factor is weak anyway. I don't see what they have to gain from it. In all likelihood this will just anger ITV and lead to them being even more agressive against EE.

No one has suggested that X Factor ratings will shoot up without clashes either to refer to another post.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member

Is that the Doctor Who special of Pointless that has been recorded ?
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has suggested that X Factor ratings will shoot up without clashes either to refer to another post.
    Then why are the SCD/XF clashes such a big deal to ITV cheerleaders?

Programme times change all the time from the release of initial schedules (which sometimes aren't even approved by broadcasters, just the best guess of digiguide etc) and the weekend shows have no fixed slots to start with.
  • Options
    Aaron_2015Aaron_2015 Posts: 3,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC insist on clashing SCD for the sake of it, ITV should begin clashing Coronation St. and Eastenders. I don't see why they shouldn't to be honest.

If the BBC and ITV can come to a reasonable agreement concerning the soaps, why not Strictly and X Factor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCD overlapping with XF for a short period of time isn't even the equivalent of ITV aggressively scheduling Emmerdale right across EastEnders' slot.

The equivalent would be the BBC putting EastEnders against ITV's soaps constantly, say hour long episodes on Thursday from 7.30pm and Monday and Friday from 8.00pm. The BBC when rescheduling EE or finding a slot for a rare extra episode usually avoid putting it against ITV's soaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Why would you "take ITV on a lot more" - there's no need to at the BBC because they have perfectly well rated shows that are strong enough to stand on their own 2 feet without looking over their shoulder at the other channel. It is more understandable for ITV to engineer clashes as they are a commercial broadcaster trying to get the highest rating figures in order to satisfy advertisers and investors. The BBC is quite the opposite - a PSB that whilst it should be looking to have healthy viewing figures for their top shows they should not be resorting to going down the avenue of point scoring - they are above that and a different model to ITV.

I agree with ...bwfc - it's not about trying to get one over a commercial channel - not behaving like that shouldn't be seen as a sign of weakness, moreso a PSB that is professional and will not rise to any bait that ITV puts out. I would think more highly of the BBC if they didn't resort to such tactics and rose above any shenanigans ITV conjures up.

I just think more competition in more slots is healthy whoever is winning. I do agree with the rest of your post though and it seems this is what the BBC usually default to.
    Having said that with all the shenanigans of the last couple of years its ITV that are losing share so the BBC can sit back as ITV damages itself more than anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    SCD overlapping with XF for a short period of time isn't even the equivalent of ITV aggressively scheduling Emmerdale right across EastEnders' slot.

The equivalent would be the BBC putting EastEnders against ITV's soaps constantly, say hour long episodes on Thursday from 7.30pm. The BBC when rescheduling EE or finding a slot for a rare extra episode usually avoid putting it against ITV's soaps.

The point you're missing is that EE isn't strong enough for that. Hour long episodes at 7:30 on Thursday would be responded to by either:

7pm: ED
    7:30pm: CS
    8pm: ED

Or just an hour long ED at 7pm when there's no Corrie. EE would be destroyed.

Also ITV don't care about whether it's equivalent or not. If the BBC annoy them they can just hit back harder with EE/CS clashes.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Is that the Doctor Who special of Pointless that has been recorded ?

I would presume so, they have done that before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point you're missing is that EE isn't strong enough for that. Hour long episodes at 7:30 on Thursday would be responded to by either:

7pm: ED
    7:30pm: CS
    8pm: ED

Or just an hour long ED at 7pm when there's no Corrie. EE would be destroyed.

Also ITV don't care about whether it's equivalent or not. If the BBC annoy them they can just hit back harder with EE/CS clashes.
    I don't think the BBC are setting out to deliberately annoy them, they are merely refusing to hurt Strictly by airing it too early. Let's be honest, though, XF's figures are going to be pitiful with or without the clash. The soap clashes happen way more frequently and at any point in the year, the idea that they only come about through retaliation on ITV's part is very amusing. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Is it a normal length episode then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    I don't think the BBC are setting out to deliberately annoy them, they are merely refusing to hurt Strictly by airing it too early. Let's be honest, though, XF's figures are going to be pitiful with or without the clash. The soap clashes happen way more frequently and at any point in the year, the idea that they only come about through retaliation on ITV's part is very amusing. :)

I agree with the BIB. Again you've missed my point as I'm not saying that the soap clashes are a retaliation. Nor are the Strictly ones. But ITV could retaliate by being even more aggressive against EE. It's not worth that risk for the BBC when they gain very little from it.
This discussion has been closed.