Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 11)

1192193194195196198»

Comments

• Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be hoped so....I wouldn't want to see a man melt live on TV!
  • Options
    Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wozniacki
    Never really watched her for any length of time but did so for a few minutes at the weekend. I can see why she's where she is. She doesn't seem to have anything spectacular but she's solid, consistent and accurate - and sort of wears you down. Reminiscent of Murray. Like Murray it may be that she has to find more aggression to win her first GS since what she's showing at the moment probably won't be enough to take out the likes of Serena or Kim in GS finals.

You might enjoy this interview clip from Doha 2009 :D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxgoD1WCtA

lola14 wrote: »
    I want Bartoli to win now! Of course she won't, but when she is playing, I can't take my eyes of her! She is such an odd-bod, but I grown to like her!

I can't stand Azarenka, she sounds like a howling dog, everytime she hits the ball, I do like Nadia, but I have to say, Serena is starting to look very good!

Saturday's interactive coverage, was a waste of time! What's the point of having 6 options, if you aren't going to put matches on them!
    Year ago, Bartoli used to annoy me with her antics. However, in recent times I can do little else but laugh and show great amusement as she is so OTT. So I do enjoy her these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharapova on Court 2 again, but she's still not complaining. Serena on a show court.
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Sharapova on Court 2 again, but she's still not complaining. Serena on a show court.

Maria, said she likes Court 2, and she really played well there on Saturday, so I don't think she will be too bothered. I think it will be a easy win for her, unless of course her serve goes walkabout again!
  • Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay so I'm not a massive Wimbledon fan, but I'm having a little prediction for the finals.

I think the mens semi will be between Nadal and Federer with the former winning, whilst I think the females will be Serena vs Sharapova and whilst I would like Sharapova to win, I think Serena will steal it.

But I'm loving it, and I have all next week off work to watch it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that Maria has a reputation as a diva- did you see Serena's face when she walked onto Court One yesterday? Like a smacked backside. Glad she's on there again tomorrow.

Bartoli kicking her dad out was hilarious. Nice to see a tennis daughter-dad relationship weighted the other way to be honest. We've had years of it the other way
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    To be hoped so....I wouldn't want to see a man melt live on TV!

I'm surprised Andy is on early, he normally gets the tea-time slot, to pull in the viewers. I think it could be a cracking match, depending on which Ricthie turns up!

Worried for my boy tomorrow! JMDP is a fantastic player, and it could be a very close match. I shall be keeping everything crossed!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love JMDP too- I think that is the match most likely to cause an upset. Rafa doesn't seem himself and hasn't for a while. Youzhny is my favourite, but I don't see it happening. I've got a mad busy day tomorrow so will have to watch it all overnight! Be sleepwalking on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love JMDP too- I think that is the match most likely to cause an upset. Rafa doesn't seem himself and hasn't for a while. Youzhny is my favourite, but I don't see it happening. I've got a mad busy day tomorrow so will have to watch it all overnight! Be sleepwalking on Tuesday.

I think Rafa has played really well the first week at Wimbledon.He just goes about his job. I think he is quite happy to let Andy, Fed, etc, take all the headlines. JMDP is a top 5 player, there is no doubt about that, and it's going to be a very tough match.
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bartoli kicking her dad out was hilarious. Nice to see a tennis daughter-dad relationship weighted the other way to be honest. We've had years of it the other way

Why did she do that? I was actually watching the match but was going between that and here so when I looked back, I saw him walking out but I missed her telling him. So funny though she did that :D
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Rafa has played really well the first week at Wimbledon.He just goes about his job. I think he is quite happy to let Andy, Fed, etc, take all the headlines. JMDP is a top 5 player, there is no doubt about that, and it's going to be a very tough match.

I'm really happy with the way Rafa has played so far and even more importantly his demeanour is great - he seems really relaxed compared to the first few matches in Paris.

Didn't you love his little teasing of the crowd about throwing his top to them after his second round match?

That said, I agree Delpo is a much tougher opponent than those he's faced so far so I'll be watching from my usual spot - behind the sofa with all extremities crossed and my eyes closed.....:eek::p:D.
  • Options
    xsalsafanxxsalsafanx Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit worried about Andy tomorrow - Gasquet's been playing really well... Andy can't afford to have any mental lapses during the match!

Think Rafa will beat Delpo in three or four sets.
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMDP is a top 5 player, there is no doubt about that, and it's going to be a very tough match.

I agree, but he may need a bit more time to get back to where he was. Let's see what happens against Rafa.
  • Options
    ElCantoDelLocoElCantoDelLoco Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member

I think the problem with Rafa was that he was convinced Nole was going to win the French and take the number 1 slot, and he perked up considerably once Federer knocked Nole out, and, apart from being exhausted and probably wanting to conserve energy at Queens, I think he's played really well since. I think having his status as king of clay threatened like that affected him a lot

Not saying Delpo won't be tough though, taking nothing for granted
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Andy is on early, he normally gets the tea-time slot, to pull in the viewers. I think it could be a cracking match, depending on which Ricthie turns up!

Worried for my boy tomorrow! JMDP is a fantastic player, and it could be a very close match. I shall be keeping everything crossed!:)

Not really. Wimbledon don't set the order of play just for Andy to be 3rd up for him to be on BBC1 in primetime.

It's the BBC who alter the primetime schedules when Andy is scheduled 3rd up. The BBC have no say in the order of play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ThaGazBoi wrote: »
    Okay so I'm not a massive Wimbledon fan, but I'm having a little prediction for the finals.

I think the mens semi will be between Nadal and Federer with the former winning,
    But I'm loving it, and I have all next week off work to watch it. :D

:p Bit difficult, they wont be meeting in the semi, but I think you meant the final. I think Fed will grab it this year. :( No reason, just a gut feeling I have that Fed will get Nike to whip him up a new creation to replace his 16 GS logo.) Rooting for Rafa of course if we do get a Rog/Rafa final.

xsalsafanx wrote: »
    Bit worried about Andy tomorrow - Gasquet's been playing really well... Andy can't afford to have any mental lapses during the match!

Think Rafa will beat Delpo in three or four sets.
    I'm extremely worried for Andy. Dickie's looking good and I can see either a straight sets slump as Andy crashes out, or a 5 set who-will-crack-first thriller.
    I didn't realise Andy has come back from 2 sets down to win against him TWICE. :eek: Please dont try 3rd time lucky tomorrow.
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,575
    Forum Member
    DelPo love on this thread?

I'm sure that wasn't the case 2 years ago :p

Anyhow I think DP will upset Rafa, he'll do what Muller couldn't and win some TB's

Having said that I'm hopeless at predictions, so Rafa will probably win for the loss of 6 game :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE=barracuda91;51034957]Why did she do that? I was actually watching the match but was going between that and here so when I looked back, I saw him walking out but I missed her telling him. So funny though she did that :D[/QUOTE]

Apparantly either in that match, or the previous one, the umpire had warned Marion about her father coaching her from the sidelines. Clearly it's something she isn't asking him to do, and something that he can't help but do. Parents eh? :rolleyes: Guessing she figured if he kept doing it she'll end up getting disqualified!

Have managed to come up with a plausible story for not going to work tomorrow ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have managed to come up with a plausible story for not going to work tomorrow ;)

Excellent! :p As long as you dont go to Wimbledon and get caught on camera. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahaha no no not that lucky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll be fine, he's used to following the sun on tour all year plus he spends a lot time training in Miami :D

Yeah I feel more sorry for those in the crowd on centre and court 1 who are in direct sunlight. One year when I went it was over 30C outside the court and a fair bit hotter in centre court due to all the people - it was just awful - felt so bad.
  • Options
    xsalsafanxxsalsafanx Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I'm extremely worried for Andy. Dickie's looking good and I can see either a straight sets slump as Andy crashes out, or a 5 set who-will-crack-first thriller.
    I didn't realise Andy has come back from 2 sets down to win against him TWICE. :eek: Please dont try 3rd time lucky tomorrow.

I seriously don't think my nerves could take another five set epic! Though that win was brilliant, Gasquet's bound to be extra-motivated to take out Andy this time round. I do think though that if both play to their highest level, Andy will win - just hope Andy starts the match fully focused and playing well.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,944
    Administrator
    This thread is continued here: The Tennis Thread (Part 12)
This discussion has been closed.