Options

Most Emotional You Felt During Or After A Game

Comments

• Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Ahem... back on topic... ;)

Half time Champions League Final 2005... and then after the penalties the same game. I've never known a rollercoaster of emotion like it. Crazy.

Well yes, maybe I was more emotional then than for the England win :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Ahem... back on topic... ;)

Half time Champions League Final 2005... and then after the penalties the same game. I've never known a rollercoaster of emotion like it. Crazy.

I gave a guy who wasn't a huge mate but was a friend all the abuse in the world by text at half time in that game. I totally ripped him (he would do the same back btw).

He is a Liverpool fanatic and the nicest guy you would every meet.

Im actually quite happy that the first thing he did on Liverpool winning was phone me up!!! He was just screaming down the phone but i think he was quite pleased.......
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Manchester United won the Champions League in 2008, as it was the 50th year since the Munich Air Crash happened, and you could see how emotional, and how much it meant to Sir Bobby.
    I just couldn't stop crying all night, partly out of joy, and partly out of sorrow.

Wow. I can imagine how emotional you must have been. It must have felt really strange, being elated and very sad at the same time :(
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I gave a guy who wasn't a huge mate but was a friend all the abuse in the world by text at half time in that game. I totally ripped him (he would do the same back btw).

He is a Liverpool fanatic and the nicest guy you would every meet.

Im actually quite happy that the first thing he did on Liverpool winning was phone me up!!! He was just screaming down the phone but i think he was quite pleased.......

Haha good for him! It's nice having friendly rivalries like that - you can rip the hell out of each other but you're still mates at the end of the day :)

I got laid into by a lad I knew that night. I was so upset at half time I begged my friend to take me home. She refused, and I'm bloody glad she did. Best, weirdest, most emotional night of my life :D Unbelievable.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I got laid into by a lad I knew that night. I was so upset at half time I begged my friend to take me home. She refused, and I'm bloody glad she did. Best, weirdest, most emotional night of my life :D Unbelievable.

When people bitch about "what was the biggest" win. The fact is 99 and 05 were 2 of the most f***cked up set of circumstances yet so different that they can't be separated. Different but similar. Kinda sums up Liverpool and Utd dare i say it!
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. I can imagine how emotional you must have been. It must have felt really strange, being elated and very sad at the same time :(

Yeah it was very strange, I was soooo happy, but at the same time, I was overcome with emotion for the people that passed away 50 years ago.
    :(:(
    It made it soo much harder to be happy (in a good way) when I saw Sir Bobby climb those stairs, and not take his medal, as I can only imagine what that must have been like for him.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people bitch about "what was the biggest" win. The fact is 99 and 05 were 2 of the most f***cked up set of circumstances yet so different that they can't be separated. Different but similar. Kinda sums up Liverpool and Utd dare i say it!

Yeah I agree, but to just put it simply, what is easier to do, score 3 goals in 45 mins, or score 2 goals in 2 minutes?
    I think that you will find ours was a lot harder, and far more unlikely to happen, so ours will always go down as the best comeback in Champions League final history. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah it was very strange, I was soooo happy, but at the same time, I was overcome with emotion for the people that passed away 50 years ago.
    It made it soo much harder to be happy (in a good way) when I saw Sir Bobby climb those stairs, and not take his medal, as I can only imagine what that must have been like for him.

It was an act of ultimate class that didn't go un-noticed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I agree, but to just put it simply, what is easier to do, score 3 goals in 45 mins, or score 2 goals in 2 minutes?
    I think that you will find ours was a lot harder, and far more unlikely to happen, so ours will always go down as the best comeback in Champions League final history. ;)

Jesus suffering f***

Thanks for explaining it to me cos I've spent 7 years trying to work out what the difference was(!) :rolleyes:

Its not better at all, its just different.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Manchester United won the Champions League in 2008, as it was the 50th year since the Munich Air Crash happened, and you could see how emotional, and how much it meant to Sir Bobby.
    I just couldn't stop crying all night, partly out of joy, and partly out of sorrow.

It was a hairs standing up on the back of your neck moment.
    The premier league game against City the same season was the same but was a more sombre affair.:(
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still cry watching the Bobby Charlton up the steps thing in 2008. The music in the background doesn't help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Totally agree. To Utd fans, 1999 will be the "biggest" and to LFC fans, 2005 will be. In all honesty, both were incredible finals and two that will go down in history. Both teams should be immensely proud of that.

So emotional. I do think it's strange but also kind of wonderful how football can elicit such strong emotion from people. Of course when your club has tragedy in their history it makes it even more emotional, but football is (well less and less nowadays) is about community as well as results and all pulling together in wins and losses, in happiness and tragedy is something very special.

If you're going to be picky, Liverpool actually scored 3 goals in 6 minutes ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unlike the follically challenged sheister that moved from red to blue marching up the steps. That was cringe worthy moment, considering he wasn't even a footballer.:rolleyes::o
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echo 99 CL final. Watched it in a pub with a friends girlfriend due to a strange set of circumstances. She likes football but isn't a man utd fan but she was in floods of tears at the end just through the whole roller coaster of it. I was pretty much beside myself!

I felt like crying that night too, although for very different reasons!!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Unlike the follically challenged sheister that moved from red to blue marching up the steps. That was cringe worthy moment, considering he wasn't even a footballer.:rolleyes::o

He would have been elbowing Terry out of the way had they won the damn thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    I felt like crying that night too, although for very different reasons!!:eek:

Why? Just between you and me,nobody else need know.:D
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I copied this from the Spurs forum, which I wrote after hearing about Dave Mackays illness. I still clearly remember him coming back to Spurs for his first game with Derby. Amazing reception he got.

One of the greatest players ever, and all Spurs fans should read about his qualities, and achievements.

I remember being at the Lane for his first game there with Derby. During the warm up, there was banter, with chants of "Dont cry Mackay", which as a young lad I thought was a little disresptectful to one of my heroes, but it was good natured.

When the Ref blew for the skippers to go for the toss, Dave started the walk, and the whole ground stood and applauded, whilst chanting his name. it was the most amazing, emotional moment I ever had at a football ground.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sir Bobby Robson charity game (Just seeing him so frail was awful) :(

Gary Speed memorial game

Some happy ones

Newcastle 3 - Man U 0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I copied this from the Spurs forum, which I wrote after hearing about Dave Mackays illness. I still clearly remember him coming back to Spurs for his first game with Derby. Amazing reception he got.
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »

Gary Speed memorial game

Some happy ones

Newcastle 3 - Man U 0

I didn't even think of the memorial games and the like.

The Bobby Robson one was a real choker actually, thats a great example cos he was there but i guess anything of that nature is emotional
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »

Sir Bobby Robson - what a wonderful man. My geordie OH was completely cut up when he passed away. Very, very sad.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you're going to be picky, Liverpool actually scored 3 goals in 6 minutes ;)
    You could be even pickier and say Man U only actually needed to score 1 goal to take it into extra time.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AC Milan for both. The happy one of course being Istanbul, a blistering comeback from a team definitely overachieving. Even Vladimir Smicer scored!

Then there was Athens in 2007. Boy oh boy did that ever crush me.
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    AC Milan for both. The happy one of course being Istanbul, a blistering comeback from a team definitely overachieving. Even Vladimir Smicer scored!

Then there was Athens in 2007. Boy oh boy did that ever crush me.

I was in Paris that day in 2007.

Wore my CL Final 2005 shirt all day, loads of people were coming up to me and wishing me luck.

Settled down in front of the TV in a bar not far from my hotel to watch the game, full of anticipation.

Then a dozen Milan fans came into the bar and my heart sank, although the banter from the English-speakers was a laugh, and very good-natured to be honest.

Until the final whistle when I walked back to the hotel crushed, leaving them celebrating into the night :cry:

Almost as bad as the ribbing I got on the train back to Manhattan from the Prudential Center wearing my New Jersey Devils top after the New York Rangers had stuffed us... (NHL)

I think I should stay at home, maybe I'm just a jinx :D
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Agreed, but I thought it summed up the difference between the 2 clubs and everything they represent absolutely perfectly.

I remember being at OT in 1993 against Blackburn, the day after we won the league (courtesy of Villa losing to Oldham), I was 9 years old so didn't really get the enormity of what had happened, but I remember there were old blokes there crying tears of joy, most of them probably thought we'd never win another league in their lifetimes, especially after what had happned the previous season.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry in adavance for my ramble.

As a Liverpool fan no emotion can match that of 25th May 2005. The pain of the early goal, the disbelief of going 3-0 and Milan playing brilliantly, the shock of just getting 1 goal back when not playing overly well and the elation at getting 2 further goals inside 6 minutes. The nerves really kicked in at that point as Milan could still have got 1 to win but extra time came and went, uneventfully, until Dudek last minute double save from Sheva in the last minute of extra time. Dont even get me started on the nerves i felt at pens or the elation when Dudek and his wobbly legs saved Sheva's pen and we won it for a 5th time and got to keep it.

A special mention must go to the 2 matches in the tournament that season that really showed our mettle. Olympiakos with us needing to win by 2 clear goals and when they scored the task was harder than ever imagined. We were on our way out at the group stages and we brought on 2 reserve players to save us. And save us they did. Simina Pongolle(sp) and Mellor scored and then Captain Fantastic himself scored a brilliant goal. I found that match amazingly nerve racking but also enjoyable all the same, mostly due to Stevie's goal. I can still remember the commentator saying "Ohhh, you beauty" as Gerrard ran off in celebration. The second match was Chelsea, second leg. The tie was poised at 0-0 and Luis Garcia scored(and yes Chelsea fans, players and Mourhino we DID score)and we had to wait 92 mins until the ref blow the whistle. The were very tense moments. The last minute Gudjohnsson ball that blow away from the line would have put them in the final but we beliveved it was our year and we made it. The fans were amazing that day and even JT said they were intimidated. A special mention must also go to the Chelsea tie in 2007 with the score at 1-0 to them. We pulled a goal back and yet again the crowd saw them through to the final on pens. Oh how i miss those nights!!

The 2006 FA Cup run. Beating West Ham in the final like we did, did nothing for my nerves that day either. We were losing to a team that, no offence to Hammers fans, we shouldnt have been and then, guess who, Captain Fantastic again scored arguably the greatest FA Cup goal ever seen and that led us to win the cup on pens again. It also has personal memeories for me and my family as it was the last match my grandad saw before he had a stroke that night and died 2 weeks later. It makes me think of him everytime we think back to that date and today the final may be a different date but the experience is the same.

We also had 2 matches in the space of a week when we played against Arsenal and Chelsea and drew 4-4. The Chelsea match knocked us out of Europe so the Arsenal one was better to be involved in.

Winning the Carling Cup this season after 6 years without a trophy was amazing and Kenny' emotions in that campaign said all about his feelings for the club.

Special mention must go to Brad Jones' help in getting us through to the FA Cup final after all he has been through. You could tell he was still emotional with his son dying but he coped well and deserves all the plaudits that come his way. Kenny's emotional second coming. He got the job and less than 24 hours later he's playing ManU in the FA Cup. The fans singing his name and believing again. Plus them singing him happy birthday in the match when we beat ManU last season with a Dirk Kuyt hat trick and Luis Suarez pulling the strings.

As a neutral, Arsenal throwing away a 4-0 lead to draw with Newcastle last season and ManU throwing away a 3-1 and then a 4-2 lead against Everton last weekend was amazing. Plus Newcastle having the egos landing at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night. Cisse's goal would be my GOTS if it wasnt for Suarez's last weekend.

Finally and arguably the greatest i have felt about a football match since that Carling Cup win in Feb was Monday night when the egos at Old Trafford were brought down a peg or 2 and even if they now still win the League i know it will be tainted as the best team will not have won.
  • Options
    TombstoneTombstone Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1963 Cup Final versus Leicester which was my first ever football match in a stadium. I remember the build up and the roar of 100,000 fans like it was yesterday - then The King scored the first goal and a lifelong love affair was born.

I intermittently talked and replayed the the match nonstop on the long 4 hour drive home to Yorkshire, driving our next door neighbour to distraction.