Options

BBC Olympic channels have white line on top edge

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    BBC should move their DOG back the right for this, or bottom of screen like US
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    icstm wrote: »
    BBC should move their DOG back the right for this, or bottom of screen like US
    Or just remove the sport and make it 75% of the current size as in my mockup here, I think having the 'sport' on it is completely unnecessary when the channels are actually called BBC Olympics, not BBC Sport Olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they are completely stupid size.
    I think they are that size to stop ppl streaming them around the world?
    but then I'd rather have your size in each corner of the screen then one HUGE one!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Or just remove the sport and make it 75% of the current size as in my mockup here, I think having the 'sport' on it is completely unnecessary when the channels are actually called BBC Olympics, not BBC Sport Olympics.

Presumably, it is BBC Sport because that is the BBC division that is producing them?

That would also make sense if one of the purposes of the DOG is to satisfy IOC rules regarding Olympic broadcast material being copied/syndicated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are completely stupid size.
    I think they are that size to stop ppl streaming them around the world?
    It could be an IOC condition imposed upon the BBC of course (which might be a reasonable assumption given the tight rules about Olympic branding that they have in place).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Presumably, it is BBC Sport because that is the BBC division that is producing them?
    I think it's unneccesary and just makes the DOG too big, if they are going to have a DOG, the channels are called BBC Olympics so BBC + the Olympic rings as a DOG is fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's unneccesary and just makes the DOG too big, if they are going to have a DOG, the channel is called BBC Olympics so BBC + the Olympic rings as a DOG is fine.

Read the rest of my post (I might have added this after you quoted me):

That would also make sense if one of the purposes of the DOG is to satisfy IOC rules regarding Olympic broadcast material being copied/syndicated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did read your post, the IOC would not insist SPORT is included after BBC, it is just unnecessary and imo it looks better without it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, but as I say have 4 smaller logos in each corner then.
    Everything is too HUGE, logo and graphics.

BTW, any thoughts on the how to check if I am receiving the HD stream?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but as I say have 4 smaller logos in each corner then.
    Everything is too HUGE, logo and graphics.
    4 :eek: I think my idea is better:D with just removing sport.
    BTW, any thoughts on the how to check if I am receiving the HD stream?
    Click info button, if the channel title is HD, it should be HD.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kinda illogical though that in order to spoil the copied/syndicated content by obscuring part of it with a massive DOG, they spoil the legal content with a massive DOG...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No all channel names do not HD, just BBC olympics 1-24.
    when the football is not on, say on channel 7, then the programme name is BBC Olympics 7 HD.

I think your DOG is too small, that is why I say use yours 4 times.
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch BBC1 where you can, no DOG.

Not even a HD DOG for the GB footie match today, on BBC1 HD.

At least not in the first or last 30 minutes, which is all I watched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No all channel names do not HD, just BBC olympics 1-24.
    when the football is not on, say on channel 7, then the programme name is BBC Olympics 7 HD.
    It's the channel title you need to look at on the info button, if it says HD, it is HD.
    I think your DOG is too small, that is why I say use yours 4 times.
    I made it smaller so it could fit to the left of the scorecard, it's possible it might fit just taking the sport out without reducing the size:).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    None of my channel titles show HD, only the programme name in the dead time.
    Are you saying your actual channel names are BBC Olympic (not s) 1-24 HD?
    I have not HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did read your post, the IOC would not insist SPORT is included after BBC, it is just unnecessary and imo it looks better without it.

You don't know the details of the IOC requirements and how those requirements might be translated into practice.

I don't either, but my supposition is still quite possible as the BBC Sport group will have produced it, and we know from current experience that the IOC have imposed very strict rules over what can be used and how it is portrayed when anything to do with the Olympics brand (or Olympic sponsors) is used. And as it seems commonplace for other internet businesses to try to rip off other content and pass it off as their own, or simply upload it to certain sites, it is quite understandable if the IOC have some restrictive rules in place. I don't know, it is simply a supposition.

I'll make it clear that at no time do I support DOGs or any other on-screen clutter anywhere, but there are sometimes reasons for why such things are as they are.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    When did the 24 channels go active?
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Kargo wrote: »
    When did the 24 channels go active?

On Sky, mid-Monday morning I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of my channel titles show HD, only the programme name in the dead time.
    Are you saying your actual channel names are BBC Olympic (not s) 1-24 HD?
    I have not HD.
    Yes on the Echostar & I presume other Freesat HD boxes the channels are renamed, and the only channels listed on the guide & via the red button are the HD versions even though they don't say HD in the channel name.
    You don't know the details of the IOC requirements and how those requirements might be translated into practice.
    I severely doubt that any guidelines require BBC to use Sport in the DOG.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I severely doubt that any guidelines require BBC to use Sport in the DOG.
    They might not, but there might be other requirements pertaining to any agreement that you and I are not aware of.

And I will say again, no-one here is party to any part of any agreement between the IOC, the host broadcaster or the BBC.

So further speculation is rather pointless as far as I am concerned (in other words, I see no reason for me to continue with this, before anyone accuses me of dictating what can and cannot be discussed)

If anyone is that concerned as to why the DOG is BBC Sport, or why the normal BBC DOG is not shown on these streams, then contact the people who will know - the BBC. They will be able to give a definitive answer.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    MGBCTV wrote: »
    Notice BBC SPORT DOG is over generic score clock
    They can't leave like this:rolleyes:

DOG overlapping scorecard
    Are the BBC the host broadcaster and did BBC/BBC Sport deigned the DOG and the other graphics?

It seems silly to have the Score/Time OSG the same side as the DOG. Surely they must have known this would happen?
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Are the BBC the host broadcaster

Well in the case of the football, yes and no. They are producing the football coverage on behalf of OBS, along with the tennis, boxing and rowing lake events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They can switch sides of the DOG.
    ITV4 do it all the time depending which sport they are carrying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So further speculation is rather pointless as far as I am concerned (in other words, I see no reason for me to continue with this, before anyone accuses me of dictating what can and cannot be discussed)
    :rolleyes: I know why they used 'Sport' in the DOG, I am just saying I don't think it is necessary as the channels are simply called BBC Olympics, and they should try and keep screen clutter to a minimum. Also, with just BBC and the rings it would enable them to stick the DOG on the left without overlapping the scorecard which I think would actually be better than moving it to the right as it keeps all the clutter in one place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can switch sides of the DOG.
    ITV4 do it all the time depending which sport they are carrying.

The BBC do it all the time as well so someone has just forgot.