Options

Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Billy, I just felt it necessary to defend myself after being called a "numpty" a "chancer" and a "troll", I would imagine most decent people would.

I really enjoy watching TOTP and seeing what other people think of it and plan on continuing to do so for as long as the BBC show the programme.

Highlander is a gentleman too, and that was out of character. Maybe as it was late Saturday he'd had a "wee dram"? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smooth Radio has just this moment begun playing this week in 1977 with David "Kid" Jensen for anyone interested.

(Double Top 20 Show)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He he, I have that too. That Wader's track mystified me as well. It was a good set of albums though. I had the cassettes (remember them?) :D The forerunner's to the Now That's What I Call Music series. :)

Yes, I have the cassettes not the vinyl too. Is there anything that will separate us? :D

That album got a single week at No1 in December 1981. I got it for Christmas that year with my first ever decent stereo tape cassette recorder, a silver Pye machine, which I have still got too. The album was a curious thing because it had a lot of tunes that simply were never chart hits, such as Charlie Dore and Gerard Kenny to name two alongside the Waders.

But hey, we are getting 4 years ahead of ourselves here! ;)
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister used to own that Chart Hits 81 album.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Chart-Hits-81-Volume-1/release/2925773

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Charthits-81-Volume-2/release/927388

I think it may have been the first K-Tel album where you bought volume 1 and got volume 2 free. It's quite a good double album!
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Smooth Radio has just this moment begun playing this week in 1977 with David "Kid" Jensen for anyone interested.

(Double Top 20 Show)

Cheers Rich! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    My sister used to own that Chart Hits 81 album.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Chart-Hits-81-Volume-1/release/2925773

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Charthits-81-Volume-2/release/927388

I think it may have been the first K-Tel album where you bought volume 1 and got volume 2 free. It's quite a good double album!

Yep Robbie, there were a few of those at that time. Buy one, get one free. I have Chart Beat/ Chart Heat and Raiders of the Pop Chart from 1982. Naff titles!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

(Double Top 20 Show)

:D Danny Mirror. We have that 'delight' to look forward to on TOTP's pretty soon. He might have been on the Jimmy Savile show?
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highlander is a gentleman too, and that was out of character. Maybe as it was late Saturday he'd had a "wee dram"? :o

Well, I'll reserve judgement on that thanks Rich. Still had nothing approximating an apology and considering I had the original spat removed at MY request and then he dragged it all up in subsequent posts when I was offline calling me all the offending words "gentleman" isn't a description that immediately leaps to mind when describing "Highlander".

Anyhoo, I'm past caring now, let's get back to the music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Danny Mirror. We have that 'delight' to look forward to on TOTP's pretty soon. He might have been on the Jimmy Savile show?
    His first appearance was on the JS show that would have been broadcast on Thursday. But he does make another appearance and that will be shown in two weeks time, or in three weeks time if "The Sky At Night" once again gets in the way...
  • Options
    tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member

There seems to be an amusing error on the www.chartstats.com website, where they have placed last nights Stardust from 1977, alongside 1998's better known Stardust as the same act, returning to the charts 21 years later!

Speaking of which, the same thing has happened in my copy of the Virgin book of British hit singles (2nd edition)! I was flicking through it the other night after watching that Stardust performance and had to cackle when under the entry for Stardust, both acts have been combined and put under as one entry! Talk about poor quality control...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His first appearance was on the JS show that would have been broadcast on Thursday. But he does make another appearance and that will be shown in two weeks time, or in three weeks time if "The Sky At Night" once again gets in the way...

I thought that was the case Robbie. I never knew quite what to make of that song..tribute or a micky take?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought that was the case Robbie. I never knew quite what to make of that song..tribute or a micky take?

If you look it up on youtube, the comments seem to suggest that fans of Elvis thinks it's a wonderful and moving tribute.

I think they're wrong. It's shocking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Best Leo Sayer record IMO, so good it got re-released a few years ago....

The 2006 remix and the original are both excellent though I prefer the original now. I can truthfully say I'd never heard the original until the remix came out - another example of a great 70s song that had largely gone unplayed on the radio for years. The track that Meck contributed to after the Leo Sayer remix, called 'Feels Like Home,' is one of my favourite songs from recent years too.

However, my favourite Sayer single is undoubtedly his 1975 hit 'Moonlighting,' which was prevented from reaching the No. 1 spot by Rod Stewart's 'Sailing.' It's another one that doesn't get played enough and the lyrics are brilliant.
    Just for completion so far of the episodes, this is the line-up of the TOTP edition from 08/09/77 which was the last episode that the BBC don't hold in their archive

Presenter: David Jensen

(27) THE EMOTIONS – Best Of My Love (and charts)
    (NEW) THE MOTORS – Dancing The Night Away

The song in bold is yet another one that doesn't get sufficient airplay. As well as 'Airport,' they had another fantastic song called 'Forget About You,' which has been cropping up on compilations a bit more frequently of late. Really worth checking out if you've not heard them before or like your 70s 'power pop.'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was meant as a tribute but I think it's absolutely dreadful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...The album was a curious thing because it had a lot of tunes that simply were never chart hits, such as Charlie Dore and Gerard Kenny to name two alongside the Waders...

Good grief - Gerard Kenny! Sky were using his hit 'New York, New York (So Good They Named It Twice)' for their trailers advertising the US Open tennis coverage a few years ago and I had friends asking me 'who sang that 'New York New York' track at the time. Whether I should admit this or not I don't know but I quite like that track! :o
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved The Motors - dancing the night away, it's long intro always seemed to get truncated on radio play tho
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    Sad that the Legs and Co Oxygene has been wiped. Hope an off air copy exists somewhere. The Legs and Co performances have got sexier in recent weeks including the Way Down on the skipped Jimmy Saville show!

Any reason why Ed Stewart only seemed to do a few TOTP?

He was the host of Junior Choice for 12 years and most of his audience would be big fans of TOTP. Ed was a nice man and very down to earth, I doubt we will ever hear any allegations about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    I loved The Motors - dancing the night away, it's long intro always seemed to get truncated on radio play tho
    The intro to 'Dancing The Night Away' is brilliant. It starts off sounding like a Byrds song and then goes into a piece of glorious new wave. Unfortunately most of it was edited out of the version that was released as a single.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The picture quality I have is quite a bit better - with a bit more colour (though the colour generally is very faded) and the DVD is timecoded.

All that survived of the episode was from half of a video of Elvis' American Trilogy onwards (as the previous poster has correctly mentioned) but my mum definitely remembers Gary Glitter being there when the episode was being recorded. And at the end of the episode, when the audience are dancing to Nut Rocker by B. Bumble and the Stingers, you can just about make out a few kids with "Gary Glitter" printed on their shirts.

The BIB is available to view on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzdYU6iw5LQ

I noticed four people in 'Gary Glitter' vests/tops at the start of the clip and a young girl wearing a 'Slade Alive' sweatshirt towards the end.

It was suggested on this thread recently that Pan's People interpreted all of Elvis Presley's singles during the early 70s. Perhaps the video for 'American Trilogy' namechecked during the end credits in this clip from 22 June 1972 was the last one shown on TOTP prior to his death five years later?

I understand the late, legendary music arranger Mike Leander (who co-wrote and produced all of Gary Glitter's eleven top ten hits in the seventies) appeared on stage with GG for his TOTP debut on this show. All GG records were created with just Glitter and Leander basically working alone together in the studio. Leander played literally all of the instruments himself including drums. No member of the Glitter Band (which was put together hastily for this TOTP) played a single note on any of the records or hit a single drumbeat although they were professional musicians who accompanied GG when he went out on the road and they played the songs live. I believe the original Glitter Band bassist was sacked soon after he appeared on this particular show for peeing in Glitter's beer on his first UK tour!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    Speaking of which, the same thing has happened in my copy of the Virgin book of British hit singles (2nd edition)! I was flicking through it the other night after watching that Stardust performance and had to cackle when under the entry for Stardust, both acts have been combined and put under as one entry! Talk about poor quality control...

The Virgin Book Of Hit Singles is nothing like as good as the Guinness Book Of British Hits Singles used to be. I got my first one of those back in 1984, with the 4th edition that had a cartoon style cover with many major artists. I think I have the final edition from 2006, but have never bothered with the new Virgin one.

By the way, the 1st ever edition of the Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles came out in...1977!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    He was the host of Junior Choice for 12 years and most of his audience would be big fans of TOTP. Ed was a nice man and very down to earth, I doubt we will ever hear any allegations about him.

I think we could be hearing very very serious allegations against him unfortunately:
    His taunting of children was legendary, he used to ply kids with gifts galore and then throw a cabbage or two on top, making the poor wretches drop the lot. The swine! :D

It just had to be said.
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

He may yet get mentioned. He met his wife when she was 13 who, in his autobiography, he described meeting for the first time thus: "I was greeted at the door by a 13 year old apparition. She was stunning!"

Junior Choice indeed...
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends if anything happened at that point surely?
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zimbo78 wrote: »
    Any reason why Ed Stewart only seemed to do a few TOTP?
    As far the episode coming up this week is concerned, Stewpot must have been a late replacement, as I have the Radio Times covering the week of its original broadcast, and it has Tony Blackburn listed as the presenter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    The Virgin Book Of Hit Singles is nothing like as good as the Guinness Book Of British Hits Singles used to be. I got my first one of those back in 1984, with the 4th edition that had a cartoon style cover with many major artists. I think I have the final edition from 2006, but have never bothered with the new Virgin one.

The first Guinness book I bought was the one that went up to the end of 1982. Bought most of them thereafter.

Am I correct in saying that the first Virgin book only covered the Top 40? The more recent Virgin book was similar to the original Guinness ones.