Options

Top Of The Pops 1977 - BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh! I almost always forget about Pick Of The Pops. 1981 would have been great! He he, Laurie Anderson..we were all bemused by that....even at 12 years old!! Lol :eek:

Don't forget that you can always listen to it up to 7 days after broadcast if you go to the Radio 2 site and search out the catch up player. I believe it is the No1 radio show that gets listened to on BBC catch up. Although I am not on twitter, I always enjoy reading Tony's tweets, and he is quite a frequent tweeter. Oh, and today he played The Tweets as well, you know the one, No2 this week in '81.
  • Options
    eurofandaveeurofandave Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    I don't think I'll be able to listen to "Way Down" again without thinking of those hotpants!! :o

Hahah,i am exactly the same as you there highlander!! :D

Another dance performance i'll always associate with a song is Ruby Flipper's routine to Candi Staton's 'Young Hearts Run Free' that was aired in the 1976 re-runs.Floyd was brilliant!! :D

I also listened to Tony Blackburn's 'Pick Of The Pops' yesterday.1981 is one of my favourite years and even now i'm bemused by Laurie Anderson's 'O Superman'.Such a strange track but i could still listen to it in it's entirety.

I had to smile when Tony played The Tweet's 'Birdie Song' at number 2 as i thought he may have skipped it lol.

IForgot to mention that i originally missed thursday's episode of TOTP due to a power cut!!! lol.Memories of the early 70's came flooding back :D:D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He he, great to watch again. I didn't pick it up on Thursday but DLT makes a comment about how Elvis reaches that low note at the end of "Way Down"..He doesn't, it was a session musician. :D

True. According to wiki:

'The recording also features gospel bass singing legend J.D. Sumner singing the words "Way on down" at the end of each chorus, repeating the phrase at the end of the song while hitting a double low C note (three octaves below middle C). According to the Guinness Book of World Records it is the lowest recorded note ever produced by the human voice, first accomplished by Sumner in a 1966 recording of the hymn "Blessed Assurance."'
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He he, you missed yourself Rich. Some numpty started a daft argument. I let it go and she/he had their posts taken off. It was a shame because I was talking to someone who was watching some editions from the summer and I was trying to give some input. :mad:

Yep, all set for the re-run. I didn't realise that Dusty did the original! :o I only had a problem with David Cassidy because it held "Children Of The Revolution" off No.1. :(

I'm not a "numpty" Highlander. You called me a troll for disagreeing with you, suggested I had no "dignity" and then started posting lots of yawning emoticons. YOUR posts were actually removed at MY request because it was clear you were derailing an otherwise good thread. Which is what trolls do incidentally. Hmmm..

You've also failed to mention that another FM posting at the same time defended me, didn't see anyone doing that for you.

I think the only "numpty" and troll round here is you, just remember it was you who started insulting me, I didn't resort to petty personal remarks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was just some chancer (Mrs Mackintosh) giving it large. We disagreed on Marc Bolan and Elvis. You know me Rich. I can't be bothered with petty arguing.

She/he started saying that this was my forum and I disagree with everyone. That's why I wish all the posts were still there for everyone to read.
    Over 18 months and it's my very first Troll! :D.
    All the posts vanished. Someone must have reported it. I couldn't care less. Just a shame I was having a conversation about the show with someone at the time! Hey Ho! :rolleyes:

I'll check out Dusty! ;)

I didn't say you "disagree with everyone" I said that you had no right to call me a troll for having a difference of opinion with you, the word "everyone" was never mentioned. But then you can make it all up now can't you, no evidence, that's convenient.

As I said, it was ME who had the posts removed. I've been posting the TOTP thread a lot longer than you, back when the 1976 re runs started so please don't think you can post derogatary remarks about me to the likes of Rich Tea and anyone else who you believe you can convince that you've been "trolled".

I also said that I thought better of you considering your previous posts which was met with a response of yawning and rolling eye emoticons and some lame joke on my username. You couldn't debate coherently so you resorted to load of passive aggressive grinning smileys.

Seriously, grow up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Mrs Mackintosh, oh I thought she was a reasonable poster. Who could possibly argue with you Highlander! :D I got my first troll on the Caesar thread I warned you about a day or two back! That took 4 months. They vanished too. ;)

I am a reasonable poster Rich. Why would I troll on a thread I've been contributing to for nearly 2 years?

Contrary to whatever "Highlander" believes I just respond to posts as I see fit, I don't check out the FM and think "Oh, think I'll troll this guy".

Keep an open mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wasn't really that Way Down was he. Just 6 feet. Not too far.......sorry.:o

That was a very popular "joke" back in 1977 :o

Another sick one (and the only actual memory I have of anyone talking about Marc Bolan's death) was "What was Marc Bolan's last hit? Tie a yellow mini round the old oak tree".

Oh, that sophisticated 70s "humour". And we managed to make these before the internet as well! ;)
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also listened to Tony Blackburn's 'Pick Of The Pops' yesterday.1981 is one of my favourite years and even now i'm bemused by Laurie Anderson's 'O Superman'.Such a strange track but i could still listen to it in it's entirety.

I heard a bit of POTP yesterday including O Superman. Arrrggghhhhh!

That track split the nation between those who love it and those who hated it. I was very definitely in the latter camp. IIRC it stormed up to number 2 in the charts but because it was an acquired taste, it dropped out again very quickly.
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'll be able to listen to "Way Down" again without thinking of those hotpants!! :o

Funnily enough I am unable to hear 'Mama's Pearl' by the Jackson 5 without picturing the original Pan's People sextet with Flick Colby dancing to it on TOTP during the original hotpants era in 1971.

Each dancer wore a different colour and the hotpants were made from a shiny satin(?) fabric with a butterfly emblem emblazoned over the right b*tt*ck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAzDiSQuSN4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahah,i am exactly the same as you there highlander!! :D

Another dance performance i'll always associate with a song is Ruby Flipper's routine to Candi Staton's 'Young Hearts Run Free' that was aired in the 1976 re-runs.Floyd was brilliant!! :D

I had to smile when Tony played The Tweet's 'Birdie Song' at number 2 as i thought he may have skipped it lol.

IForgot to mention that i originally missed thursday's episode of TOTP due to a power cut!!! lol.Memories of the early 70's came flooding back :D:D

I have got a K-Tel double album called ChartHits '81, which on one side has got The Tweets, The Birdie Song but I have always been curious about a track on the other side, which was almost the same in many ways but for Ducks! It is called The Qwaka Song, by The Waders, yet it was never even a hit record so how it ended up on a Chart Hits album is a mystery.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got TOTP on the iPlayer running but am off out to the boozer so will watch it later, didn't remember the first record or artist at all, now it's La Belle Epoque I used to enjoy them. See El is still at number 1 good record that pity about the circumstances of course, Strangers now playing but it's got to go off until later.

I'll have a pint on you all. :D
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Classic disco tune. Don't recall quite so much of a processed vocal, though. Sounds like Autotune 30 years before it was invented...

That is indeed how the original sounded - layers of vocal effects on there!

Hard to credit that 'Black Is Black' was released on Harvest records, home to Pink Floyd, Deep Purple and Be Bop Deluxe ... they seemed to undergo something of an identity crisis in 1977, also being responsible for 'The Calendar Song', seen recently, as well as signing Wire and The Saints.

'Black Is Black' was, as I recall, released around the same time as the appalling 'DBM' track Rich referred to - both on major labels, who were growing aware that Eurodisco was becoming a force to be reckoned with. While medley tracks weren't necessarily anything new, 'DBM' is very much a forerunner of the much more successful 'Stars On 45' that polluted the charts in the early 80s ... :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a reasonable poster Rich. Why would I troll on a thread I've been contributing to for nearly 2 years?

Contrary to whatever "Highlander" believes I just respond to posts as I see fit, I don't check out the FM and think "Oh, think I'll troll this guy".

Keep an open mind.

Kiss and make up with Highlander when he comes back. :p

You can disagree with me anytime, that's fine. I suppose it is not entirely legit to criticise TOTP from 1977, from our vantage point here quite a few years later. I stand by the points I made about Marc Bolan though. Even in 1977 I think it was poor form to entirely pass him by on "the nations number one pop show" which was a quote that DLT used himself on the show.

Let's not throw that daft T word about on the thread. There are none on here. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiss and make up with Highlander when he comes back. :p

You can disagree with me anytime, that's fine. I suppose it is not entirely legit to criticise TOTP from 1977, from our vantage point here quite a few years later. I stand by the points I made about Marc Bolan though. Even in 1977 I think it was poor form to entirely pass him by on "the nations number one pop show" which was a quote that DLT used himself on the show.

Let's not throw that daft T word about on the thread. There are none on here. :)

Cheers Rich. You're a gentleman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I heard a bit of POTP yesterday including O Superman. Arrrggghhhhh!

That track split the nation between those who love it and those who hated it. I was very definitely in the latter camp. IIRC it stormed up to number 2 in the charts but because it was an acquired taste, it dropped out again very quickly.

My best friend loved it and I couldn't stand it. Graham Norton played it recently on his "I can't believe it's not better" slot.

I read a biography of Dennis Nielsen (the serial killer who used to cut up people and put them down drains) and apparently he used to listen to it on a loop on his headphones. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mackintosh nor Highlander are trolls that is plainly obvious because I know Highlander to be someone who is always very fair and decent and from previous posts I think exactly the same about Mrs T, fall-outs happen in Digital Spy all the time, it doesn't mean people are bad so I hope both let it pass and move on because both are great posters.

Sorry for sticking my oar in you two but I just wanted to say it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Mrs Mackintosh nor Highlander are trolls that is plainly obvious because I know Highlander to be someone who is always very fair and decent and from previous posts I think exactly the same about Mrs T, fall-outs happen in Digital Spy all the time, it doesn't mean people are bad so I hope both let it pass and move on because both are great posters.

Thanks for that Billy, I just felt it necessary to defend myself after being called a "numpty" a "chancer" and a "troll", I would imagine most decent people would.

I really enjoy watching TOTP and seeing what other people think of it and plan on continuing to do so for as long as the BBC show the programme.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Billy, I just felt it necessary to defend myself after being called a "numpty" a "chancer" and a "troll", I would imagine most decent people would.

Of course you had to defend yourself Mrs T anyone would have done it, I'm sure Highlander will now let it all pass because he's a very decent guy, these things happen all the time mostly though misunderstandings I have found. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB

I didn't know the Iron Lady was posting on Digital Spy; have I missed something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB

I didn't know the Iron Lady was posting on Digtal Spy; have I missed something?

Oh GAWD I'd forgotten all about HER. :p
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    I have got a K-Tel double album called ChartHits '81, which on one side has got The Tweets, The Birdie Song but I have always been curious about a track on the other side, which was almost the same in many ways but for Ducks! It is called The Qwaka Song, by The Waders, yet it was never even a hit record so how it ended up on a Chart Hits album is a mystery.

He he, I have that too. That Wader's track mystified me as well. It was a good set of albums though. I had the cassettes (remember them?) :D The forerunner's to the Now That's What I Call Music series. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh GAWD I'd forgotten all about HER. :p

So had I.... until I read your response to Mrs M :confused:
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You haven't been on the ratings thread where insults and accusations are common. You criticise something like dear old Coronation St and its paranoid fans accuse you of being a snob and an elitist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    You haven't been on the ratings thread where insults and accusations are common. You criticise something like dear old Coronation St and its paranoid fans accuse you of being a snob and an elitist.

Yup. Some people clearly lead a very sheltered life if they think I'M a troll. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Sad that the Legs and Co Oxygene has been wiped. Hope an off air copy exists somewhere. The Legs and Co performances have got sexier in recent weeks including the Way Down on the skipped Jimmy Saville show!

Any reason why Ed Stewart only seemed to do a few TOTP?