Options

Sony Movie Channel Sony Movie Channel+1 & More Than Movies coming soon to freeview?

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
More Than Movies might be LCN 32 but any one have a idea where the hours are coming from for the other two channels?

I will be glad if there are more movies channels on freeview.

Ofcom have given these 3 channels freeview licences.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    IIRC More Than Movies is the same channel as Movie Mix with different branding. It would be interesting to see Sony on Freeview as these are currently not on Freesat, as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christoFar wrote: »
    IIRC More Than Movies is the same channel as Movie Mix with different branding. It would be interesting to see Sony on Freeview as these are currently not on Freesat, as far as I am aware.

more>movies are FTA on satellite, but not available on Freesat. Movie Mix is another broadcaster simulcasting more>movies.

The Sony Movie Channel and Sony Entertainment Television channels are currently encrypted but part of the Freesat from Sky bundle (alongside Motors TV, 4 Music, and Liverpool FC TV) but as you say aren't part of Freesat, but would be very worthy additions.

The movies4men and movies4men +1 channels are however on Freesat (and Freeview in Manchester) and part of the same group of channels owned by Sony,
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    more>movies are FTA on satellite, but not available on Freesat.
    More>Movies IS on Freesat, channel 143
  • Options
    Tim_BishopTim_Bishop Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Sony Entertainment Television *is* available on BT Youview and BT Vision via Broadband.

The reason why Sony decided to proceed this way instead of DTT is because of the cost and (lack of) space via the DTT Multiplexes. The reason why Sony TV decided to go FTV instead of FTA is because they were unhappy with the satellite footprint versus cost of rights.

BT are planning on adding more channels because of this to its basic package, because the capacity of Multicast is nowhere near full!!!
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Not surprised re More> Movies.

Always suspected that the gradual changes to channel 32 has been a way of turning the channel into something else without coming under Digital UK's new channel rule and being demoted.

Now that this has been achieved, it makes little sense to continue operating two channels with the same content.

But why is there a separate licence?
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder will moviemix close or will it do a deal with another channel
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    I will be glad if there are more movies channels on freeview.
    Why? In the coming two weeks there are over 250 films being shown spread among LCNs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15, 21, 24, 28, 30, 31 and 61. Do we really need more films?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    Why? In the coming two weeks there are over 250 films being shown spread among LCNs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 14, 15, 21, 24, 28, 30, 31 and 61. Do we really need more films?

In a shock move you miss out LCN 32. :o:D

To answer your question i like movie and the more choice the better anyway it beats more shoppingtelly.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To answer your question i like movie and the more choice the better anyway it beats more shoppingtelly.

Ain't that the truth - I've just joined Freeview and found 126 channels, and so far have hidden over 70 of them as a waste of time for me.
  • Options
    moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Bizman wrote: »
    yes we do
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I realised after I had posted, there are a further 80 films to add as a result. Lets put things in perspective, there are 168 hours in a week and a film is typically 2 hours long so in a week that is 330 hours of films.!
    Agreed I would happily swap shopping for films, but there are only so many hours a day viewing time.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

moviesman wrote: »
    yes we do

I agree with both tomee and moviesman because I'd also like to see more film choice on Freeview (and indeed Freesat for that matter) although I appreciate that we'll never get the most recent cinema blockbuster films on Freeview.

I assume that more>movies will just replace Movie Mix which is the same channel but with different branding. The Sony Movie Channel (see http://www.sonymoviechannel.co.uk/programs) and Sony Movie Channel +1 is a much more potentially interesting development. However (as far as I can tell)), it's not clear from the licences whether these two channels will be proper linear channels for us all to watch or whether they'll be IPTV streamed channels on the subscription VuTV service, for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I appreciate that we'll never get the most recent cinema blockbuster films on Freeview.
    My feeling is that for contractual/licensing reasons we will get more or less the same films, but spread across more channels.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the Sony channels appear using the same technology as Motors TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what i can see on the ofcom list all stream channel or IPTV channels are Licences to Connect TV Limited.whereas none of these new Licences are so i think that everyone should be able to get these channel like we all can get movie mix.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    From what i can see on the ofcom list all stream channel or IPTV channels are Licences to Connect TV Limited.whereas none of these new Licences are so i think that everyone should be able to get these channel like we all can get movie mix.
    Synapse TV also hold licenses for streamed channels.

A reminder:
    DTAS licences - streamed channels, text services.
    DTPS licences - "normal" linear channels

Sony's licences are listed as being DTPS.

With London's Local TV service about to go live and the local TV antenna going up at Winter Hill in the past few days expanding coverage across millions more households very soon, I wonder if we might see Sony appear on the local TV multiplexes, replacing the temporary Bonanza Bonanza channel.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    No they don't. Synapse TV hold licenses for streamed channels.

A reminder:

With London's Local TV service about to go live and the local TV antenna going up at Winter Hill in the past few days expanding coverage across millions more households very soon, I wonder if we might see Sony appear on the local TV multiplexes, replacing the temporary Bonanza Bonanza channel.

Indeed, tomee, and the implication is that these channels will proper linear channels on the Freeview platform because all three have DTPS licences and not DTAS or TLCS (like Sports Tonight Live) licences as set out on page 10 of this Ofcom document here: http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/dtps-dtas-guidance.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Synapse TV also hold licenses for streamed channels.

A reminder:

Indeed, tomee, and the implication is that these channels will proper linear channels on the Freeview platform because all three have DTPS licences and not DTAS or TLCS (like Sports Tonight Live) licences as set out on page 10 of this Ofcom document here: http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/dtps-dtas-guidance.pdf

You are both most wise.

Thank you both for the information.
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    I strongly suspect the Sony Movie channel will go on COM 7 in the same way as Al Jazeera Arabic.
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems strange that they've licenced a +1 rather than their other channel Movies4Men. I wonder if Movie Mix will continue and take the schedule of that channel instead when More Than Movies launches as a stand alone channel.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gottago wrote: »
    Seems strange that they've licenced a +1 rather than their other channel Movies4Men. I wonder if Movie Mix will continue and take the schedule of that channel instead when More Than Movies launches as a stand alone channel.

movies4men and movies4men+1 already hold licences thanks to their includsion on the Manchester multiplex.
  • Options
    bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony also owns Crackle UK which is closing April 1st, so wondering if thats the starting date on Freeview?
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Sony also owns Crackle UK which is closing April 1st, so wondering if thats the starting date on Freeview?

Could be. Which of their channels shows the same sort of stuff as Crackle?

They might be migrating Movies4Men off of the Manchester mux and replacing that with SMC. SMC has a +1 licenced from the start, which is how Movies4Men has always operated in Manchester, so a direct replacement looks likely (and dropping the +1 for a national mux launch).

Looking at the BARB ratings, Movie Mix (More>Movies) does really well, and I daresay most of that success is down to Freeview. SMC does really badly, so I can see they might want to prop up the ratings.

Men&Movies, which became More>Movies, was on the Manchester mux before Movie Mix morphed into it, so there is precedent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/sonytvuk

Can some one who is on twitter please ask sony about information regarding freeview.

1. What LCNs?

2. Will the channels be uk wide?

3. What date do the channels start broadcasting on freeview?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather have another channel then a +1.