Options

World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZ fan wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that following the success of the journalist-led panel on BT Sport's European Football Show that BBC and ITV have gone for the same old tired formula with some pundits who think they are above doing proper research and actually earning their corn.

This was a great opportunity to have Tim Vickery at the core of BBC's coverage. Instead we will have Alan "Germany are an average side and eminently beatable" Hansen.

On commentary, none of BBC's big three have ever completely convinced me. I'd love to see Steve Bower play a much more prominent role, if only to read the reaction on here :D

I hope if an ITV game goes to penalties and Clive isn't on duty that lightning doesn't strike twice for Sam Matterface. Still, he gets to go home to Natalie Sawyer...

;-)

That is the best thing ever tbh.
  • Options
    19741974 Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    And the same is true of the BBC's lineup with regard to ITV, so not sure what your point is.

To nowhere near the same effect have the BBC picked off top ITV personnel down the years, yet ITV still fails to gain the head to head results they crave. Isn't it time ITV showed a bit of originality rather than continue to imitate the BBC?

ITV 's Euro 2012 coverage was a shameless BBC tribute act. Purpose built studio with picturesque backdrop? Check. Matey presenter? Check. Outspoken lead pundit? Check. Classical music theme tune? Check. It's a blueprint the BBC implemented at France 98. Are ITV so devoid of their own ideas they need to copy decade and a half old BBC aesthetics? I'd just like to see a bit of diversity between the two channels. ITV used to be distinctly different in the way they covered major tournaments. Maybe the upcoming loss of most of its live football over the next 12 months might provoke a fresh start for them.
  • Options
    aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Matterface and Natalie Sawyer are divorced. He confirms this in his interview in the current Radio Times.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »
    Sam Matterface and Natalie Sawyer are divorced. He confirms this in his interview in the current Radio Times.

Crikey, that didn't last long! Well I knew something was up when she wasn't wearing her wedding ring when she presented a live League One game on Sky over Easter.

The greatest tragedy is that they had a young son together.
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey, that didn't last long! Well I knew something was up when she wasn't wearing her wedding ring when she presented a live League One game on Sky over Easter.

The greatest tragedy is that they had a young son together.

I'm not quite sure I would describe that as a "tragedy"

Sad yes. Tragedy? No.
  • Options
    samburrowssamburrows Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was a great opportunity to have Tim Vickery at the core of BBC's coverage. Instead we will have Alan "Germany are an average side and eminently beatable" Hansen.

Completely agree. Although from listening to Tim on the WFPI recently it sounds like they're going to be keeping him very busy over the duration of the tournament. He was even on Football Focus a few weeks ago!
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samburrows wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure I would describe that as a "tragedy"

Sad yes. Tragedy? No.

Agreed, wrong choice of word I admit. Still all too brief though, two years at most I'd say (IIRC they had their son a year before they got married).
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »

I did wonder about this quite a long time ago. A number of times when she was on air I thought she looked unhappy and sometimes as if she had been crying beforehand. Also lost a lot of weight at one stage. Once the wedding ring disappeared it seemed to me she started looking a lot brighter again.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While not wishing to take any joy out of someone's divorce, it's these bits of info that I love garnering here on DS - anything to do with commentators and sports broadcasters.

Hopefully Matterface will be paired with Carlisle and kept off any Belgium/Netherlands games but I'll probably be that pumped up, I'll be doing my own commentary anyway for those. More seriously, it means less games will be spoiled. Still can't believe that the home of commentators cannot have a stronger line-up with the likes of Champion and the underrated Derek Rae heard on our screens this summer.

Which countries take the HBO feed with Dave Woods etc?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Just saw BT sport have announced some world cup coverage

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/bt-sport-confirm-new-shows-for-fifa-world-cup-S11363902199826

Pretty dissapointed that they haven't greenlighted a discussion show following the world cup with the European Football Show panel
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which countries take the HBO feed with Dave Woods etc?

HBS, sorry! :blush:
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Hansen`s projected words during the World Cup....
    `England have a really good chance of winning this tournament, pace, power, there is no reason why they can not beat Italy/Germany/Brazil....` mid June.

`The whole set up was wrong, the defenders didn`t defend and the manager seemed to lose the plot, how anyone considered England as potential champions I will never know, Italy/Germany/Brazil showed true quality in every area of the game today`.....end of June.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw BT sport have announced some world cup coverage

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/bt-sport-confirm-new-shows-for-fifa-world-cup-S11363902199826

Pretty dissapointed that they haven't greenlighted a discussion show following the world cup with the European Football Show panel

Very happy that Baker and Kelly will be on for 32 consecutive nights! VSPO has been one of the highlights of BT's first season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A slim chance that we may see adverts DURING the match. This time intentionally. Up to itv to decide if they concede and do the impossible of sinking even further down in people's estimations.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/england-world-cup-fans-face-3552971
  • Options
    sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,332
    Forum Member
    Very happy that Baker and Kelly will be on for 32 consecutive nights! VSPO has been one of the highlights of BT's first season.

This should be fun, their world cup radio shows were always a good laugh :) Just hope it's not while the matches are on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    This should be fun, their world cup radio shows were always a good laugh :) Just hope it's not while the matches are on!

First show is 7pm. I imagine it will the same time for all so the perfect slot between the first two games of each day.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    First show is 7pm. I imagine it will the same time for all so the perfect slot between the first two games of each day.

Like the show myself. I was thinking 7pm would be the best slot for them given the kick off times.

Big plus is you can avoid BBC/ITV build up.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A slim chance that we may see adverts DURING the match. This time intentionally. Up to itv to decide if they concede and do the impossible of sinking even further down in people's estimations.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/england-world-cup-fans-face-3552971

That would certainly be very poor. If there are long drink breaks, the most I'd be happy with would be bringing in a few of the studio pundits to hear their views - rather like BT did for their first Premier League game with Tony Pulis.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think anyone believes these breaks are really for heat reasons.

28 years ago, footballers were a lot less fit than they are today and nobody thought about taking breaks in games played in Mexico in early afternoon. This is purely a way for FIFA to make more money (hence why only FIFA tournament sponsors can advertise during these breaks).
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    I don't think anyone believes these breaks are really for heat reasons.

28 years ago, footballers were a lot less fit than they are today and nobody thought about taking breaks in games played in Mexico in early afternoon. This is purely a way for FIFA to make more money (hence why only FIFA tournament sponsors can advertise during these breaks).

Likewise USA 94 - and didn't the Americans ask FIFA to introduce mid-half breaks solely for advertising purposes and were denied them?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV's extended World Cup trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73izUVIm91w

Certainly captures the emotion well but the BBC have got the edge for me as their trailer is more innovative albeit slightly random.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    ITV's extended World Cup trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73izUVIm91w

Certainly captures the emotion well but the BBC have got the edge for me as their trailer is more innovative albeit slightly random.

That is an awful trailer. ITV usually cover tournaments very well, normally something set out by their trailers. Brazil is a party country, home of the carnival, but if they go down the route of classical music and emotional crap, I'll probably skip the pre & post match stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    That is an awful trailer. ITV usually cover tournaments very well, normally something set out by their trailers. Brazil is a party country, home of the carnival, but if they go down the route of classical music and emotional crap, I'll probably skip the pre & post match stuff.

It's only an advert. It doesn't tell you anything about the tone of their coverage, which I'm sure will be full of colour and bring the atmosphere to our TV screens.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a trailer on ITV just now which suggested their coverage would start at 7pm for the opening night - 2 hour build-up to the first game?

If I understood Adrian Chiles correctly Cannavaro, Viera and Dixon will be ITVs guests that night. Not the best line-up for me - certainly Viera. I hoped O'Neill would be on the first night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    There was a trailer on ITV just now which suggested their coverage would start at 7pm for the opening night - 2 hour build-up to the first game?

Yes that sounds about right. They had a similar amount of build-up in South Africa for the opening game.