Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know quite a few people who post on these pages are fans of talkSPORT's occasional boxing show Fight Club, but given its infrequent scheduling I know some have in the past found it difficult to keep up with the occasions it is due to air and therefore it is always worth giving a heads up to future airdates.

Well, with the World Cup done and dusted and the Premier League season not due to start for a month, there are at least a couple of Saturdays between now and August where they'll be editions of Fight Club. This Saturday's schedule has recently been published and I see that an edition of the show hosted by Gareth A Davies (I don't know his co-host yet) is due to go out between 9pm-midnight.

I imagine that a fair proportion of that programme will be devoted to previewing the upcoming Dereck Chisora v Tyson Fury fight, as on the following Saturday (26th July) talkSPORT will be providing exclusive radio commentary on the fight in question. So obviously that night's schedule will be devoted to boxing under the Fight Club Live banner. I'm not sure when bell time for Chisora-Fury II is set for but the hours of coverage will depend on when the fight is due to get under way - it should be something like 7/9pm to midnight/1am given that it's a domestic fight.

There's then no reason why talkSPORT couldn't give Fight Club a regular Saturday night run until the third weekend of August when their live 5.30pm Premier League commentaries return, with coverage of those followed by Call Collymore 7.30-9pm and Football First 9pm-midnight. However, with the television schedules having recently been released for the first four months of the Premier League season, there are five Saturdays between then and the end of November when there won't be a 5.30pm Premier League game - this should provide talkSPORT with a few more opportunities to broadcast Fight Club on Saturday nights (with Call Collymore and Football First both duly moving forward in the schedule) than there was during the second half of the last football season.

In other weekend schedule news, I see Geoff Peters is down to present both Saturday and Sunday Scoreboard in the afternoon this weekend - good to hear he'll be hosting a few shows before Up The League returns in August. The Transfer Tavern with Nat Coombs is on between 7-9pm on Saturday as it was last weekend - I imagine it'll stay in that timeslot until the start of the Premier League season.

On Sunday night, Matt Scott is hosting The Press Pass between 6-8pm, it's Howzat! with Dominic Cork between 8-10pm and then Alan Mullery is the subject of My Sporting Life 10pm-midnight. I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a special Golf Show recapping The Open this Sunday, I enjoyed these post-Majors programmes in previous years.

By the way, a tip for My Sporting Life fans - David Lloyd's edition of the show from two weekends ago is a really enjoyable listen, he's exactly like you'd expect him to be. It's worth a listen via the MSL feed if you're interested.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's that time again folks, time for 'Billy's Blunder of The Week' that long running repeat of the best blunder on talkSPOWERT of the last 7 days. :D This one concerns Sir Michael of Quinn the laugh-a-minute hilarious comedian from Liverpool where all the funny people come from. :D

Here he is interviewing Australian and ex Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich on the breakfast show alongside Alan Brazil and then suddenly forgetting his way.

http://bit.ly/1p8fWeg
  • Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone on here called in to the station before? How did you find the experience?

If you are interested in getting involved I can recommend some excellent debates happening on Drive with Adrian and Goughie on Talksport RIGHT NOW!

- Is Van Gaal the man to lead Man Utd to the title next season?
    - Is Phil Jones the future of England?
    - Does Roy Hodgson have to go?
    -Should Terry come back for England, should Roy beg for him to come back?

Some of the calls have been really interesting and I am enjoying hearing it all on Talksport wouldn't it be cool if you guys on the forum got involved in the chat?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know quite a few people who post on these pages are fans of talkSPORT's occasional boxing show Fight Club, but given its infrequent scheduling I know some have in the past found it difficult to keep up with the occasions it is due to air and therefore it is always worth giving a heads up to future airdates.

Well, with the World Cup done and dusted and the Premier League season not due to start for a month, there are at least a couple of Saturdays between now and August where they'll be editions of Fight Club. This Saturday's schedule has recently been published and I see that an edition of the show hosted by Gareth A Davies (I don't know his co-host yet) is due to go out between 9pm-midnight.

I imagine that a fair proportion of that programme will be devoted to previewing the upcoming Dereck Chisora v Tyson Fury fight, as on the following Saturday (26th July) talkSPORT will be providing exclusive radio commentary on the fight in question. So obviously that night's schedule will be devoted to boxing under the Fight Club Live banner. I'm not sure when bell time for Chisora-Fury II is set for but the hours of coverage will depend on when the fight is due to get under way - it should be something like 7/9pm to midnight/1am given that it's a domestic fight.

There's then no reason why talkSPORT couldn't give Fight Club a regular Saturday night run until the third weekend of August when their live 5.30pm Premier League commentaries return, with coverage of those followed by Call Collymore 7.30-9pm and Football First 9pm-midnight. However, with the television schedules having recently been released for the first four months of the Premier League season, there are five Saturdays between then and the end of November when there won't be a 5.30pm Premier League game - this should provide talkSPORT with a few more opportunities to broadcast Fight Club on Saturday nights (with Call Collymore and Football First both duly moving forward in the schedule) than there was during the second half of the last football season.

In other weekend schedule news, I see Geoff Peters is down to present both Saturday and Sunday Scoreboard in the afternoon this weekend - good to hear he'll be hosting a few shows before Up The League returns in August. The Transfer Tavern with Nat Coombs is on between 7-9pm on Saturday as it was last weekend - I imagine it'll stay in that timeslot until the start of the Premier League season.

On Sunday night, Matt Scott is hosting The Press Pass between 6-8pm, it's Howzat! with Dominic Cork between 8-10pm and then Alan Mullery is the subject of My Sporting Life 10pm-midnight. I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't a special Golf Show recapping The Open this Sunday, I enjoyed these post-Majors programmes in previous years.

By the way, a tip for My Sporting Life fans - David Lloyd's edition of the show from two weekends ago is a really enjoyable listen, he's exactly like you'd expect him to be. It's worth a listen via the MSL feed if you're interested.

Thanks for the heads up.;-)

I love Fight Club, but because I don't listen to TS regular, I sometimes miss when it's on.

I agree with your assertion about giving FC a regular slot, but I feel that a once a month slot would be sufficient, or moved to accommodate a big fight weekend or something, because there is an insufficient amount of newsworthy stuff going on the the boxing world to warrant a weekly slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone on here called in to the station before? How did you find the experience?

If you are interested in getting involved I can recommend some excellent debates happening on Drive with Adrian and Goughie on Talksport RIGHT NOW!

Some of the calls have been really interesting and I am enjoying hearing it all on Talksport wouldn't it be cool if you guys on the forum got involved in the chat?

Out yourself Sir I now think the game is up completely. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    It's that time again folks, time for 'Billy's Blunder of The Week' that long running repeat of the best blunder on talkSPOWERT of the last 7 days. :D This one concerns Sir Michael of Quinn the laugh-a-minute hilarious comedian from Liverpool where all the funny people come from. :D

Here he is interviewing Australian and ex Manchester United goalkeeper Mark Bosnich on the breakfast show alongside Alan Brazil and then suddenly forgetting his way.

http://bit.ly/1p8fWeg

That's really good Billy.:D

You must listen day and night to catch the clips.

Send them into H&J and they might make an appearance on CLips of The Week!:)
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Drive was decent tonight - Durham can be quite good when he's not trying to be a WUM. They managed to have a fairly balanced discussion which doesn't happen often. As much as Adrian can bait listeners, the show was much worse last Monday (imo) when Jason Cundy stood in for him. I don't know why they don't use Ian Danter more.

I don't particularly like Arsenal, but hopefully they win the league or CL this season, purely to put an end to the Daily Arsenal. Surely there's only so many times you can spout negativity about one team?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up.;-)

I love Fight Club, but because I don't listen to TS regular, I sometimes miss when it's on.

I agree with your assertion about giving FC a regular slot, but I feel that a once a month slot would be sufficient, or moved to accommodate a big fight weekend or something, because there is an insufficient amount of newsworthy stuff going on the the boxing world to warrant a weekly slot.

Now that the Premier League television picks have been announced from the start of the season in August until the end of November, we have a clear picture as to the Saturdays when there will not be a 5.30pm Premier League commentary, meaning that Call Collymore and Football First will move forward in the talkSPORT schedule to 5-7pm and 7-10pm respectively, opening up a few more slots for Fight Club to be broadcast in.

These dates are:

Saturday 6 September
    Saturday 11 October
    Saturday 18 October
    Saturday 1 November
    Saturday 15 November

So in theory talkSPORT have got more than enough opportunities to broadcast Fight Club at least once a month between now and December, albeit there are a couple of (near) back-to-back Saturdays without a late game where they might be less inclined to schedule Fight Club on both weekends.

It'll be interesting to see what they do on Saturday nights between now and the start of the Premier League season on Saturday 16th August. We know we have Fight Club this Saturday and then live coverage of the Dereck Chisora v Tyson Fury fight in a week's time, but there are a couple of Saturdays in early August when there might be room for a show. It wouldn't surprise me if they pencilled in a Fight Club on Saturday 2nd August which would at least partially be a bit of a retrospective of Chisora-Fury II, but with the Football League season getting under way the following week, on Saturday 9th August I'd expect Football First with Ian Danter and Alvin Martin to return between 9pm-midnight, with Call Kelly/Matterface/Collymore going out from 5-7pm and The Transfer Tavern on at 7-9pm.
  • Options
    originalrobskioriginalrobski Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Now that the Premier League television picks have been announced from the start of the season in August until the end of November, we have a clear picture as to the Saturdays when there will not be a 5.30pm Premier League commentary, meaning that Call Collymore and Football First will move forward in the talkSPORT schedule to 5-7pm and 7-10pm respectively, opening up a few more slots for Fight Club to be broadcast in.

with steve bunce doing alot more work with the station, and their get together with Boxnation for the chisora/fury 2 fight, i would like to think that Fight Club def gets more air time. H and J seem to be interviewing a few more fighters recently aswell, so heres hoping. British boxing is certainly on the up so deserves more airtime (ok im biased on that front, but still :p )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me thinks Al's due for another very nice set of expensive Callaway golf clubs very soon he was dropping out the brand name nicely yesterday on the breakfast show so watch out for the delivery van Al they'll be arriving sometime very soon.
    At the moment Al's in his element on the show, plenty of top horse racing going on (which he loves) the British Open Golf (which he loves) and the Prem coming up (which he loves) I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed but the freeloader king only covers sports he loves on that pi$$ poor show.
    One day last week when he was doing the show alongside Mick Quinn they had the audacity to talk about dinosaurs in sport, let that sink in for a few moments folks Brazil and Quinn talking about dinosaurs. :D
  • Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me thinks Al's due for another very nice set of expensive Callaway golf clubs very soon he was dropping out the brand name nicely yesterday on the breakfast show so watch out for the delivery van Al they'll be arriving sometime very soon.
    At the moment Al's in his element on the show, plenty of top horse racing going on (which he loves) the British Open Golf (which he loves) and the Prem coming up (which he loves) I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed but the freeloader king only covers sports he loves on that pi$$ poor show.
    One day last week when he was doing the show alongside Mick Quinn they had the audacity to talk about dinosaurs in sport, let that sink in for a few moments folks Brazil and Quinn talking about dinosaurs. :D

:D the freeloading has,as his former sidekick would write No boundaries.
  • Options
    notinquestionnotinquestion Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    One thing that miffs me is their propensity to jump out of a live press event....

It always seems to happen and today I was thoroughly enjoying the LVG introduction and questioning session at OT, when they did it again.....

Why is that? It was neither dull repetetive nor slow, he was proving informed, narky and charming in equal measure and the relationship between him and the press was interesting listening - do they assume at production level that the listenership has a limited attention span?

Anyway, moan over and enjoy the sun

Toodle Pip
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D Gough was on freeload overdrive last week - he couldn't stop mentioning all the events he's been invited too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB92 wrote: »
    Drive was decent tonight - Durham can be quite good when he's not trying to be a WUM. They managed to have a fairly balanced discussion which doesn't happen often. As much as Adrian can bait listeners, the show was much worse last Monday (imo) when Jason Cundy stood in for him. I don't know why they don't use Ian Danter more.

I don't particularly like Arsenal, but hopefully they win the league or CL this season, purely to put an end to the Daily Arsenal. Surely there's only so many times you can spout negativity about one team?

Hey great post JB92.

DRIVE is usually a good listen and the debates are interesting.

Today they are asking if Diego Costa can win the title for Chelsea and I think, yes, he can myself.

As for Arsenal, no chance, they are perennial no-hopers and if actually after Arsenal won the FA Cup last season Adrian put it to the listener vote if they wanted to stop the Daily Arsenal and the majority said they wanted to keep it!

You can't argue with the masses!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD - ''You can't argue with the masses!''

Got to say you do have the ring of a mass debator about you old son ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD - ''You can't argue with the masses!''

Got to say you do have the ring of a mass debator about you old son ;)

I do like a good debate with the masses yes, especially when Talksport is on my beloved DAB.

Keep listening for more great sports debate! I know I will be!:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Why doesn't everyone just ignore it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with steve bunce doing alot more work with the station, and their get together with Boxnation for the chisora/fury 2 fight, i would like to think that Fight Club def gets more air time. H and J seem to be interviewing a few more fighters recently aswell, so heres hoping. British boxing is certainly on the up so deserves more airtime (ok im biased on that front, but still :p )

Having looked at the fight calendar, many of the Saturdays in the list I posted of dates when talkSPORT won't have a late Premier League commentary game during the first four months of the new football season actually coincide with quite a few big fights.

Obviously we've got an edition of Fight Club this Saturday and then live coverage of Chisora-Fury II on the following Saturday, but if they were to do another edition of Fight Club on Saturday 2nd August (the last Saturday before the start of the Football League season), not only would they have their live commentary fight to look back on (as well as an undercard there involving fighters like Billy Joe Saunders), but Frankie Gavin's latest fight takes place the night before the show plus you have all the boxing at the Commonwealth Games.

You mention BoxNation, Saturday 6th September (an international football weekend where England are not playing until the Monday) is also the date of their next big domestic fight after Chisora-Fury II - Carl Frampton's IBF World Super-Bantamweight title shot against Kiko Martinez. Carl is managed by Barry McGuigan, a regular guest on and some time co-host of Fight Club, so it's a fight talkSPORT have a link to and you'd hope one they'd want to give some coverage to.

If the fight is due to start post-9pm, that night they might be able to justify broadcasting Fight Club in the 7-9pm slot with reports on the fight into Football First (in its normal timeslot) - however given their links to McGuigan and BoxNation I'm wondering if this is the next fight they could look to acquire commentary rights to? Rightly or wrongly, I know it's the big heavyweights who tend to capture the public's imagination beyond well-established domestic fighters and Frampton is in one of the smaller weight categories, but he's fighting on a blank evening for talkSPORT given the lack of Premier League and Championship football and the reduced lower league programme.

The day of that fight is also the first day of the Premiership rugby union season and the Twickenham double header - Saracens v Wasps and London Irish v Harlequins - is taking place which I imagine they might cover, perhaps with reports or commentary during Matchday Live or as full commentary on the talkSPORT Extra platform their launched during the World Cup for clashing final group games. Even if they do provide commentaries on the rugby on the main station, as the later game kicks off at 4.30pm their coverage of that should be done by 7pm. They can ditch Call Collymore (it's usually someone subbing for Stan during international weekends anyway) for one week and have both Fight Club and Football First on in the evening plus perhaps live coverage of Frampton in there too.

James De Gale and Kevin Mitchell are both due to fight on a card taking place on Saturday 11th October, another international weekend with England not playing until the Sunday. With BBC Radio 5 Live typically not providing live commentary on all but the biggest of British fighters - only really Carl Froch and perhaps George Groves now since Ricky Hatton and Joe Calzaghe retired and David Haye lost to Wladimir Klitschko, they didn't even cover Amir Khan's most recent bout - if talkSPORT were interested in picking up radio commentaries to these fights I'm sure they could obtain them and secure exclusivity albeit by default. But even if they don't want to do live commentary on them, they could still schedule a Fight Club before Football First and there may be an audience for such a show seeing as these fights are unlikely to start before 9pm. And the promotion of these fights on national radio would be good advertising for Sky Sports/BoxNation who are likely to help them out by providing interviews, audio etc.

However on one of the Saturdays I listed, Saturday 15th November, there's no Premier League action as it's England v Slovenia in Euro 2016 qualifying, and while talkSPORT don't have commentary rights to England qualifiers (only their friendlies) I imagine they'd want to schedule in a Kick Off: International Special with updates on that game before Call Collymore and Football First in their normal slots. But even despite that, there should be room for at least one edition of Fight Club per month between now and December.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is This the face of CorbynDallas?.

I merely ask I do not know. :D

The clues:
    Seeks attention like the guy in the photo.
    100% pro talkSPORT all the time.
    Giving out plugs for a certain show in the afternoons.
    Surely can't be a listener we've all heard this station and he still praises it.

There are people on this thread that supposedly know the truth why are they keeping it under wraps and not going public who it is?, are they themselves all part for the cunning plan and in on the conspiracy?. :D

The plot sickens OOPS I MEAN THICKENS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is This the face of CorbynDallas?.

I merely ask I do not know. :D

The clues:
    Seeks attention like the guy in the photo.
    100% pro talkSPORT all the time.
    Giving out plugs for a certain show in the afternoons.
    Surely can't be a listener we've all heard this station and he still praises it.

There are people on this thread that supposedly know the truth why are they keeping it under wraps and not going public who it is?, are they themselves all part for the cunning plan and in on the conspiracy?. :D

The plot sickens OOPS I MEAN THICKENS.

Goodness who is that UGLY MUG?

That is surely a face for radio if I ever saw one.

Billy we are both seekers for Truth and Justice just like the great Mike 'Porky' Parry, tell me when will your beloved Sheffield Wednesday be back in the big time and will the new owners really break the bank to make it happen?

I certainly hope so, Wednesday are one of the greats of the English game and Hillsborough is one of the great old stadia of |Britain.

I love the Premier League and I would love to see Sheffield Wednesday back up there with the big boys once again.

Also it would shut Neil Warnock up about his beloved Blades heh:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nutters of the night

For no obvious reason. I was pondering the 'back in the day' night radio and the various loons of the airwaves. For those that listen elsewhere, any of them emerge on other stations?

Nigel from Maidstone
    That God Bothering woman from N London
    Perma furious Sylvia of Yorkshire (Goughies mum?)
    That mad conspiracy theorist that had to be in a homemade plywood bunker

Moon howlers one and all but tremendous value.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nutters of the night

For no obvious reason. I was pondering the 'back in the day' night radio and the various loons of the airwaves. For those that listen elsewhere, any of them emerge on other stations?

Nigel from Maidstone
    That God Bothering woman from N London
    Perma furious Sylvia of Yorkshire (Goughies mum?)
    That mad conspiracy theorist that had to be in a homemade plywood bunker

Moon howlers one and all but tremendous value.....

Regrettably we lost all the crazy moonhowlers in the barmy format change to 24 hour premiership football didn't we, I read somewhere Mike Graham had to have special counselling when he lost Nigel from Maidstone as a caller, here's a pervy call Nige made to the Matt Forde show. {I should warn you it's terrible especially when the singing starts). http://bit.ly/UeupeH

Here's the infamous Jonathan in Swansea calling into to the same presenter, http://bit.ly/1tcSlM5 another one I've always liked but I have to admit it wasn't on talkSPORT is this call next to my own local radio radio station BBC Radio Sheffield I better fill you in on a little detail. This guy used to ring up the local phone every week acting as if he was a World War 2 ex Spitfire fighter pilot who had seen lots of action, in all the time he rang up he never let his guard down always keeping the act up and I just thought he was funny, the radio presenter incidentally is the brilliant James H Reeve and I'm sure that helped a great deal to make it even better because he just played along with it all, listeners never found out who the caller really was but I always suspected he was a Sheffield university student. http://bit.ly/1rm1m7U

There's this one to the same radio station during the morning phone-in the subject of the hour was Halloween and callers were asked to ring in with spooky stories about Halloween (listen right up to the end ok) http://bit.ly/1phVcke and another one from our intrepid RAF fighter pilot. :Dhttp://bit.ly/1nhPh1I

Hope you enjoy some of those NIQ. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness who is that UGLY MUG?

That is surely a face for radio if I ever saw one.

Billy we are both seekers for Truth and Justice just like the great Mike 'Porky' Parry, tell me when will your beloved Sheffield Wednesday be back in the big time and will the new owners really break the bank to make it happen?

I certainly hope so, Wednesday are one of the greats of the English game and Hillsborough is one of the great old stadia of |Britain.

I love the Premier League and I would love to see Sheffield Wednesday back up there with the big boys once again.

Also it would shut Neil Warnock up about his beloved Blades heh:D

Very kind words about my team thank you Corbyn the Sheffield Wednesday takeover is still waiting to be ratified by the Football League we're all hoping it's goes through ok he's a very rich guy this proposed new owner and they say a genuine man a well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could somebody please post a clip/the music for Talksport's trailer music. The music that is at the start of the show on the hour (Not the awful World Cup song). Many thanks in Advance. :)

Hi swfcforever and welcome to the forum. I know you posted this a while back and I didn't have an answer to hand at the time, but I didn't want your post to go ignored and not replied to.

I'm not absolutely sure which piece of music you mean - but I suspect you are talking about talkSPORT's "theme" for their World Cup Live match commentary programmes, which was also used for the intros at the start of some of the other shows on the station during the tournament and on their trailers for their World Cup coverage (as heard at the start of this video). I'm afraid I'm not sure what the music is, the Shazam music app didn't bring up anything either. I suspect it might be a generic piece of music that the talkSPORT production team put together especially for their coverage of the World Cup.

At the start of each hour of their shows during the World Cup, Hawksbee & Jacobs used Cochise by Ed Lincoln as their theme tune rather than their usual opening music of Coffee Pot Part 2 by Bo Junior. They mentioned the name of the track a couple of weeks ago. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JB92 wrote: »
    Drive was decent tonight - Durham can be quite good when he's not trying to be a WUM.

Well its a pile a shi*e this afternoon ( Has Philipp Lahm bottled it ) ( FFS give me strength)

its about time tS put this dinosaur out to pasture >:(>:(

(Heads Gone, Heads Gone)
This discussion has been closed.