Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The great Alfredo Di Stefano passed away yesterday at the age of 88 in Madrid. It was nice to hear one footballing legend being paid tribute by another as the great voice of Alan Brazil is back this morning for the Alan 'Brazilian' Sports Breakfast.

Some hot guests are coming up on the show, we have just heard the fantastic Henk Potts paying some hilarious scorn on the Tour de France and cyclists in general which I have to agree with when driving my van through London.

Next up is Jason Cundy with more insider info on the world of football.

This is certainly a good way to start my day.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guys,

Don't forget tonight is the first semi-final of the FIFA World Cup 2014 and hosts (Brazil) take on Germany tonight kick off 9pm UK time.

The whole game can be heard on Talksport live from Belo Horizonte and I will have it on my radio whilst watching on TV and I urge you to do the same to hear from Jim Proudfoot and Stan Collymore as they bring the UK what promises to be a captivating feast of samba football against the ruthless machine of the Die Mannschaft.

I can't wait:)
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Billy, this sums up the problem with Talksport in a nutshell doesn't it. This is also why there are people out here, like me, who are lovers of multiple sports themselves, who simply cannot abide the tunnel vision this station has 95% of the time with ONE particular sport. How they manage to sustain a never ending 24 hour cycle day in day out prattling on about much the same thing escapes me.

Why can Talksport not have dedicated sports shows on at a certain time of day, or week, specifically about particular sports, so that the listener can actively decide to tune in and know what they are likely to hear. Turning on a show like Extra Time, and hearing that they will talk about tennis for example, only to have to wade through 90 minutes of footy chat to finally get to what ends up a 3 minute item is just not worth the bother. You can never really tell when they are going to discuss anything in particular, unless it is....you guessed it.

I've currently got just a touch under 15,000 miles on my mountain bike cycle computer, mostly from the brilliant Milton Keynes "Redways" cycle system, fully red tarmacked and signposted routes all kept well away from roads. I rarely ride with a headset though, and never would with Talksport. I want to lower my blood pressure through biking, not raise it!

Crowds at the Tour de France in East Of England were rather impressive I thought. Not having listened I do not know if Talksport ended up doing the Tour in England justice with its coverage?

As for the World Cup, everyone knows this is going to be an all South American final with Brazil winning, surely? It's written in the stars!!

You and I are of the very same opinion on talkSPORT aren't we RT, as indeed are an absolute multitude of others on here, on TF, on Facebook, on Twitter and just about everywhere else left so never let a few happy clappers who only want football stop you posting your valued views on these hallowed pages I know I never will. ;-):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The great Alfredo Di Stefano passed away yesterday at the age of 88 in Madrid. It was nice to hear one footballing legend being paid tribute by another as the great voice of Alan Brazil is back this morning for the Alan 'Brazilian' Sports Breakfast.

Some hot guests are coming up on the show, we have just heard the fantastic Henk Potts paying some hilarious scorn on the Tour de France and cyclists in general which I have to agree with when driving my van through London.

Next up is Jason Cundy with more insider info on the world of football.

This is certainly a good way to start my day.:)

To be fair I am unable to remember him playing even though I had been invented, I certainly know all my life I've heard how fantastic he was on the pitch from those that do remember him playing. RIP. :(

By the way Corbyn when I was reading what you said about one legend speaking about another legend this morning on Alfredo Di Stefano I at first stupidly thought you were talking about Sir Alex Ferguson who has been all over BBC Radio 5 today paying tribute [maybe talkSPORT has played it themselves I don't really know because I've only heard bits of the station this morning while out on the bike] but how silly was that I should have clearly known you were on about Alan Brazil when you mentioned legend I feel such a fool now. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys,

Don't forget tonight is the first semi-final of the FIFA World Cup 2014 and hosts (Brazil) take on Germany tonight kick off 9pm UK time.

The whole game can be heard on Talksport live from Belo Horizonte and I will have it on my radio whilst watching on TV and I urge you to do the same to hear from Jim Proudfoot and Stan Collymore as they bring the UK what promises to be a captivating feast of samba football against the ruthless machine of the Die Mannschaft.

I can't wait:)

I'll be making one Corbyn, tv ON for the big game and talkSPORT firmly switched OFF throughout the match, in fact even though it must be a million to one in odds that my radio could somehow switch itself on all by itself suddenly bellowing out Proudfoot and Collymore doing the live commentary I will take the radio down to the very bottom of my long garden, dig a big deep hole in the ground and bury the damn thing then dig it back up tomorrow. :D
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can Talksport not have dedicated sports shows on at a certain time of day, or week, specifically about particular sports, so that the listener can actively decide to tune in and know what they are likely to hear.

They do. Rugby union show Full Contact airs between 8-10pm on Sunday nights during the club rugby union season, with it being replaced in that timeslot by cricket show Howzat! in the summer (live sports commentaries on things like the World Cup permitting). While they don't have weekly programmes on golf and boxing, last year they broadcast a special Golf Show on the evening of the final Sunday of each of the four golf majors and they have also broadcast such shows after the 2012 Ryder Cup and this year's Masters. Meanwhile boxing show Fight Club tends to take a Saturday evening slot on every Saturday when there isn't a live evening football commentary (albeit with talkSPORT winning FA Cup rights and Sky Sports winning rights to the 5.30pm Saturday Premier League kick-offs and scheduling games in that slot more regularly than ESPN were able to, such evenings have been a rare occurrence this year). You also have Fisherman's Blues of course, albeit that sadly has been reduced to just a single hour a week between 6-7am on Sunday mornings.
    Turning on a show like Extra Time, and hearing that they will talk about tennis for example, only to have to wade through 90 minutes of footy chat to finally get to what ends up a 3 minute item is just not worth the bother. You can never really tell when they are going to discuss anything in particular, unless it is....you guessed it.

I think that part of the problem here in giving specific timings for advertised items is that running orders change as news breaks and guests get delayed/drop off the phone line/cancel at short notice.

Listening to The Sports Bar over the last two weeks, they had a nightly Wimbledon round-up with Sunday Times tennis correspondent Barry Flatman. As the weeks went on it became clear he'd typically do about 15 minutes after the 12.30am news, but with news breaking and in this case the show's start and finish times adjusted due to live World Cup commentaries, I could see the sense in Andy Goldstein just saying "in the next hour we'll be joined by Barry Flatman to talk Wimbledon" ahead of the midnight news and leave it at that. I like Ash's comedy bits on The Sports Bar, but quite often they'll be quietly dropped or held over to later hours after being trailed ahead to if interviews overrun, news breaks or they have a glut of phone calls - it's just the nature of the show I'm afraid.

Some items of this kind become so regular you can almost set your watch by them - for example Todd Macklin does a weekly North American sports round-up on Fridays at about 3.20pm on Hawksbee & Jacobs, after the 3.15pm travel and before the half hour news and sports bulletins and Clips of the Week - but even these are shifted around when circumstances dictate.

I hope I've explained the above reasonably well and you can accept the reasons why radio presenters - on any station - are often not able to give their listeners exact times of the items they are planning to broadcast.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the 2 posters whose names I have seen on this thread who PM'ed me, unsolicited, since this morning and each independently gave me exactly the same name for who the "insider" at Talksport is, whose post #1203 looks so obviously a placement advert.

In response to Difference, yes I am aware that there are sporadic dedicated shows for certain sports, the F1 show a while ago never lasted long did it, but generally the overwhelming schedule on any day is shows of exactly the same basic homogenous format, output and input. Just taken a glance at the website for Talksport, covered in sports stories, every single one of them football related, and NOTHING whatsoever about anything else at all.

World Cup Semi-Final prediction for later - Brazil 3 Germany 1, just hand Brazil the trophy now and be done with it!
  • Options
    swfcforeverswfcforever Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Could somebody please post a clip/the music for Talksport's trailer music. The music that is at the start of the show on the hour (Not the awful World Cup song). Many thanks in Advance. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Gough talking more crap.

"Maicon is finished, his legs are completely gone."

Yeah, the same Maicon who was brilliant for Roma last season. It's actually annoying that this tool is getting paid loads of money to basically spoof about football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CorbynDallas an insider? NOOOOOOOOO surely not? :confused: ..... that's like saying The Difference is Liam Fisher it's so ridiculous.;-)

My forecast tonight is Germany to win and then win the final against Argentina, I think the machine will finally crank up against the hosts this evening and let's face it it'll be popular because we all love the Germans don't we. :p

Durham's trying his best to not sound rattled about England goalkeeper Ben Foster going public on twitter with total negativity on Durham, spot on Ben about time the footballers and managers hit back at this bespectacled overweight spotty mouthy clown.

Quotes: (Ben Foster)
    "Some of the stuff Adrian Durham writes is utter shite. Some of the most negative stuff you can read, comes from this guy."

"As someone with the ability to reach millions, how about a bit more positivity?? Wouldn't that be nice."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    CorbynDallas an insider? NOOOOOOOOO surely not? :confused: ..... that's like saying The Difference is Liam Fisher it's so ridiculous.;-)

My forecast tonight is Germany to win and then win the final against Argentina, I think the machine will finally crank up against the hosts this evening and let's face it it'll be popular because we all love the Germans don't we. :p

Durham's trying his best to not sound rattled about England goalkeeper Ben Foster going public on twitter with total negativity on Durham, spot on Ben about time the footballers and managers hit back at this bespectacled overweight spotty mouthy clown.

Quotes: (Ben Foster)
    "Some of the stuff Adrian Durham writes is utter shite. Some of the most negative stuff you can read, comes from this guy."

"As someone with the ability to reach millions, how about a bit more positivity?? Wouldn't that be nice."

That's getting a little personal isn't is? Adrian Durham is a fine broadcaster and his appearance shouldn't come into any feedback you have about his show. He is immensely popular with the listening masses and his Daily Mail online column receives literally tens of thousands of views every day.

CorbynDallas in insider? No way man. I am just an average joe like everyone else on here. The closest I have come to Talksport Towers is when we (The Ronnie Irani Appreciation Society) organised an official picket of the station in protest at his removal and we still believe that he is not officially gone as we never heard word about this in a satisfactory manner. I truly believe his is on a sabbatical and will return one day to save us all.

Being fanciful aside if I was an insider or trying to promote the station why would I be so critical of certain aspects of the station like H&J and the Paper Review being too short in the morning? I am a fan and I want the best for everyone listening to Talksport:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's getting a little personal isn't is? Adrian Durham is a fine broadcaster and his appearance shouldn't come into any feedback you have about his show. He is immensely popular with the listening masses and his Daily Mail online column receives literally tens of thousands of views every day.

CorbynDallas in insider? No way man. I am just an average joe like everyone else on here. The closest I have come to Talksport Towers is when we (The Ronnie Irani Appreciation Society) organised an official picket of the station in protest at his removal and we still believe that he is not officially gone as we never heard word about this in a satisfactory manner. I truly believe his is on a sabbatical and will return one day to save us all.

Being fanciful aside if I was an insider or trying to promote the station why would I be so critical of certain aspects of the station like H&J and the Paper Review being too short in the morning? I am a fan and I want the best for everyone listening to Talksport:)

Exactly, of course your not an insider well I don't think so anyway but I can see possibly why one or two might have thought you were because I don't know if you've noticed but some of your posts are a teeny weeny slightly bit pro the station maybe you've not noticed but I have reading very carefully between the lines like I do.

Durham I couldn't care less about what I've said to be honest, he's constantly pulled to bits on a national radio station one of the finest football managers to have worked in the English game he's had no shame in doing that so why should I have any in pulling him to bits.

Going back to that Ronnie Irani protest outside the Talksport building around the time Irani was fired so YOU were the guy doing that one man protest were you?, I read all about it on Facebook you were arrested weren't you and your Reliant Robin towed away by the police?. Didn't make much difference though did it the fannying bluffer still got the boot up his jacksie finest thing Liam Fisher will ever do although I don't think you'll agree. :D

Don't get too down about that though Corbyn Ronnie's calendar will always be full with all his masses of charity work, one-man show cricket talk-ins and having to find the extra time to have all those photos taken that he loves to put on his twitter account with him pointing his index finger at people to show what a full and exciting life he leads since talkSPORT.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Dungham is a third rate shock jock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else seen the BBC news channel this evening?

A couple of times I've heard the sports bulletin on this channel seem absolutely clueless. They have stated twice that Germany are hoping to get to their first World Cup Final since 1986. Well I don't follow football very much, but even I am not that clueless, knowing they won the thing in 1990 and were in it again in 2002 as runners up.

What is the matter with the BBC? How about bringing some of your staff back from the never ending jolly to South America they seem to be on, and doing some basic research, clearly needed on even the most simple of facts.
  • Options
    notinquestionnotinquestion Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Durham

Now I know this will not go down well but I actually think he is top notch - well to be precise could be....

He has a great knowledge of the global game and clearly watches an enormous amount of games

My issue is that he has been deployed awfully in this load mouth persona on Drive, get him off that and with a more high brow collective to debate and he is an entirely different individual

Evidence? Well look at his Saturday show, just great radio and back at FFIE

Drive is however, irredeemable filth, specifically with Gough who I repeat is about as useful as a bog brush at Glastonbury
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't posted on the talksport thread for a while so I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned.

Is anyone else annoyed with that bloody Amiga loans advert or is it just me? It seems to be on all the time. It's ridiculous. That old blokes voice is so annoying.
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Haven't posted on the talksport thread for a while so I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned.

Is anyone else annoyed with that bloody Amiga loans advert or is it just me? It seems to be on all the time. It's ridiculous. That old blokes voice is so annoying.

That is the main problem - too few very repetitive adverts British Gas, reputation.com, screwfix......... they all get on your nerves after a while.
  • Options
    jewelleryqjewelleryq Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Ben Foster has neatly articulated the opinions of the average sports fan - Adrian Durham is a clown who makes John Gaunt sound like Raymond Glendenning.

Apart from the TS stooges and paid apologists who Post on this site defending Durham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are The Germans All That?.
  • Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jewelleryq wrote: »
    Ben Foster has neatly articulated the opinions of the average sports fan - Adrian Durham is a clown who makes John Gaunt sound like Raymond Glendenning.

Apart from the TS stooges and paid apologists who Post on this site defending Durham.

Agree with all that and by saying "average"sports fans I put myself in that bracket as far as I support my local team that is Brentford and watch them an average of 36 games a season.I find on my travels Around the country that TS is hardly mentioned by fans and if they are its usually a negative.I know he's basically a troll but the corbynDallas poster who said he supports 3 of the top 6 prem teams ( bit like Gougie ) represents a lot of the arm chair fans that tune in everyday.
    I log on many fans forums covering all 4 divisions and it's very rare you find any comments regarding the station.I still say these RAJAR figures are miles off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are The Germans All That?.

[highlight]BLITZKREIG![/highlight] :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else seen the BBC news channel this evening?

A couple of times I've heard the sports bulletin on this channel seem absolutely clueless. They have stated twice that Germany are hoping to get to their first World Cup Final since 1986. Well I don't follow football very much, but even I am not that clueless, knowing they won the thing in 1990 and were in it again in 2002 as runners up.

What is the matter with the BBC? How about bringing some of your staff back from the never ending jolly to South America they seem to be on, and doing some basic research, clearly needed on even the most simple of facts.

The BBC is terrible.

All that free money wrenched from honest citizens and this is what they come up with?

It is shocking in my opinion.

Commercial radio has to work at least twice as hard to make an impact and we all respect Talksport in all their efforts over the years:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    Agree with all that and by saying "average"sports fans I put myself in that bracket as far as I support my local team that is Brentford and watch them an average of 36 games a season.I find on my travels Around the country that TS is hardly mentioned by fans and if they are its usually a negative.I know he's basically a troll but the corbynDallas poster who said he supports 3 of the top 6 prem teams ( bit like Gougie ) represents a lot of the arm chair fans that tune in everyday.
    I log on many fans forums covering all 4 divisions and it's very rare you find any comments regarding the station.I still say these RAJAR figures are miles off.

I personally don't want to turn on my radio and hear some chat about brendforn or whatever they are called. If you insist on following non-league football you should stick to non-league podcasts which are available or tune to the Andy Goldstein Sportsbar of a weeknight where Dave Love does a wonderful non-league roundup. I can't wait for the Sportsbar to begin again:)

There is no problem with supporting the top Premier League teams as they are what the masses want to hear about.

I have only heard of one small team which I heard all over the news today as some team called Leyton Orient have been bought by a multi billionaire Italian who has promised to pump money into the team and I expect they will be top four Premier League in the next few years and competing with the other top London team Chelsea whereas brendoforn or whatever they are called will probably be out of business by then and, frankly who would care?

Nevertheless, keep it Talksport!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be making one Corbyn, tv ON for the big game and talkSPORT firmly switched OFF throughout the match, in fact even though it must be a million to one in odds that my radio could somehow switch itself on all by itself suddenly bellowing out Proudfoot and Collymore doing the live commentary I will take the radio down to the very bottom of my long garden, dig a big deep hole in the ground and bury the damn thing then dig it back up tomorrow. :D

Well Billy,

Jim and Stan were great tonight.

You seriously can't tell me you enjoyed the village idiot Martin Keown on BBC tonight. He is a complete fool who I only remember for jumping around like an idiot around the great Ruud V. Nistelrooy a few years ago.

Talksport had great commentary and I think the earthworms in your back garden really enjoyed it and they will tell you when you dig it up tomorrow.:)
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Durham

Now I know this will not go down well but I actually think he is top notch - well to be precise could be....

He has a great knowledge of the global game and clearly watches an enormous amount of games

My issue is that he has been deployed awfully in this load mouth persona on Drive, get him off that and with a more high brow collective to debate and he is an entirely different individual

Evidence? Well look at his Saturday show, just great radio and back at FFIE

Drive is however, irredeemable filth, specifically with Gough who I repeat is about as useful as a bog brush at Glastonbury

I completely agree with your appraisal of Adrian Durham, notinquestion. I actually think very few people on here would disagree with the majority of what you have written.

Of the two presenters talkSPORT have sent to Brazil to front their live World Cup coverage, I personally think Durham has greatly outshone Mark Saggers (who in fairness was very good tonight, but can be very Jekyll and Hyde) despite being behind him in the pecking order. If it was up to me, I'd have Durham anchoring talkSPORT's coverage of the semi-finals and final rather than Saggers.

I thought Durham's work on World Cup Live, with him not hamstrung by Darren Gough and the rabble rousing format of Drive, was great. He could just concentrate on building up to matches, reacting to games after they'd finished, assessing top international sides and striking up good discussions with some of the more cerebral pundits who they used as co-commentators such as Stuart Pearce, Alvin Martin and Matt Holland. He was even fairly considered in the immediate aftermath of England's exit (while Saggers and others back home were flying completely off the handle).

As others have said on here, Durham's best work during the World Cup was on the extended build-up to Saturday and Sunday afternoon matches where he'd be joined by a couple of journalists, including the likes of Gabriele Marcotti, Tim Vickery and Raphael Honigstein. It was a blast from the past of the good old days of Football First in Europe, we ever had a revived Karl Heinz Rumour Monger a couple of weeks back!

But now he's back in the UK and it's back to the daily grind of Drive Time with Goughie, "Is he all that?" style controversial topics and The Daily Arsenal. Yawn. We all know Durham is capable of much more than that. As you say, he's great on Matchday Live, which is fast-moving, allows him to showcase his knowledge of football throughout the English and Scottish leagues and his skill in linking together live updates from numerous grounds. When he's away from the environment of live football presentation though, I get the impression he's going through the motions, serving up a diet of predictable controversial-for-the-sake-of-it topics that even he must be tired with.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Saggers was lured away by another broadcaster/spontaneously combusted in anger at the England team (the latter is probably the more plausible ;-)), talkSPORT secured a "big name" to take over Drive Time and Durham returned to Kick Off on a full-time basis, a programme he was always much more suited to than Drive's current format.

Really enjoyed Jim Proudfoot and Stan Collymore's commentary tonight (which I listened to over BBC One's commentary as I can't stand Steve Wilson and Martin Keown). If Sam Matterface retains his position as talkSPORT's lead commentator on Premier League and other major domestic matches next season then he must have a watertight retainer with the station - IMO Jim has completely outshone him during this World Cup and sounds significantly better alongside Stan than he does. Stan doesn't talk over Jim nearly as much as he does with Sam and on the few listens and to me he sounds a bit more thoughtful and analytical too.
This discussion has been closed.