Options

Our Cilla

Comments

• Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that Sheridan Smith is doing this. She is a good actress who deserves better.
    This way she may be remembered for her 'cilla' role - in other words, remembered as a rude, untalented woman who made her fame on the back of really talented people.
  • Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    Sheridan has just been on this morning with Pip and Willabooby talking about tonights show. Cilla was supposed to be on with her but she isn't well so couldn't be there.

I like Sheridan so will give it a watch, she definitely sings better than CIlla.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cilla Black is our Celebrity Litter Tray Liner Of The Week
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will watch but only because I love that whole period in history, I can't stand Our a Cilla but I'm sure there will be a "lorra lorra laffs"^_^......

Cilla's success is down to pure luck. She was the right age in the right place at the right time and was friends with the right people. I don't think her voice was particularly good either. Just my opinion though.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Sheridan has just been on this morning with Pip and Willabooby talking about tonights show. Cilla was supposed to be on with her but she isn't well so couldn't be there.

I like Sheridan so will give it a watch, she definitely sings better than CIlla.

It's a shame she wasn't able to share the screen with someone younger, better looking and more talented. :)
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    Shame that Sheridan Smith is doing this. She is a good actress who deserves better.
    This way she may be remembered for her 'cilla' role - in other words, remembered as a rude, untalented woman who made her fame on the back of really talented people.

Yes of course she was untalented, hence her singing career.. was she rude to you when you met her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crikey. :o You got any clips of John Barrowman singing with Extreme Noise Terror?
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Is there some kind of showbiz rule that states that you must, for the rest of your life, live in the place you were born and grew up in?! I mean, Sean Connery doesn't live in Edinburgh but very few give a hoot about that and why would anyone really.

No of course not (though Sean Connery is not the best example, because people comment on it all the time). But as Johnnythefox says, Cilla Black is rather a professional scouser. My brother's girlfriend has lived in Liverpool all her life and is a passionate Liverpudlian, and she has far less of a pronounced accent than CB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crikey. :o You got any clips of John Barrowman singing with Extreme Noise Terror?

No of course not (though Sean Connery is not the best example, because people comment on it all the time). But as Johnnythefox says, Cilla Black is rather a professional scouser. My brother's girlfriend has lived in Liverpool all her life and is a passionate Liverpudlian, and she has far less of a pronounced accent than CB.

Like any City it has variations of accents, no doubt Cilla's is done for effect but to say that her type of accent in unheard in Liverpool is just plain wrong.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,031
    Forum Member

But he doesn't really get the same level of "hate" for it does he? You could call him a professional Scot by the same token. I do agree though, the very pronounced scouse accent she likes to adopt may be OTT (I don't know) but she's always done it, she will always do it. Who really cares.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    But he doesn't really get the same level of "hate" for it does he? You could call him a professional Scot by the same token. I do agree though, the very pronounced scouse accent she likes to adopt may be OTT (I don't know) but she's always done it, she will always do it. Who really cares.

That's the issue isn't it? Who cares?, I'm sure she doesn't, though some posters on DS think that stars/celebs must be put in their place even though that star doesn't give a toss what anybody thinks of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    That's the issue isn't it? Who cares?, I'm sure she doesn't, though some posters on DS think that stars/celebs must be put in their place even though that star doesn't give a toss what anybody thinks of them.

Indeed. Some people are hilariously parochial about these things.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't like the hate towards our Cilla in this thread, and also digs at her not living in Liverpool. Why should she? Isn't she entitled to live where she likes?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Therefore having total contempt for the people who have given her the lifestyle she has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Therefore having total contempt for the people who have given her the lifestyle she has.

Yes but so what? People don't buy music or watch TVs shows in the hope that the star likes them or even cares about them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    I really don't like the hate towards our Cilla in this thread, and also digs at her not living in Liverpool. Why should she? Isn't she entitled to live where she likes?

You'd think so, wouldn't you.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show and Sheridan Smith might turn out to be great, but if it does well it will be spun as evidence the public still love "our Cilla" and justify another comeback so I definitely won't be watching.
  • Options
    WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like any City it has variations of accents, no doubt Cilla's is done for effect but to say that her type of accent in unheard in Liverpool is just plain wrong.

Given that she was born and grew up on Scotland Rd, the most iconically 'scouse' (and rough) working class area of the city, I suspect it was her posh luvvie accent that's the acquired one, something she affected as she climbed her way up the showbiz ladder. Scottie Rd has always been synonymous with the strongest scouse accent, in fact it was probably it's birthplace. People may not like Cilla but her working class scouse-irish roots are unquestionable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I can't say that this show grabbed me much. Because most of the Scouse band members throughout the show looked similar, it was difficult to make out whether one was Ringo, one was John or whether they were someone else completely. It could have been a lot better.
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot stand Sheridan Smith , and for that reason i wont watch anything she is in,although she caught me off guard when i saw her in Gavin and Stacey.
    Had words with her over how she should look after her dog , it even made the papers .
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will watch but only because I love that whole period in history, I can't stand Our a Cilla but I'm sure there will be a "lorra lorra laffs"^_^......

Cilla's success is down to pure luck. She was the right age in the right place at the right time and was friends with the right people. I don't think her voice was particularly good either. Just my opinion though.

Exactly, and I'm not having a go at her, she's not unique for this. Some people have great voices but just don't get the breaks. Which is why I was surprised when I read her autobiography and she didn't seem to acknowledge this at all, just thought it was down to sheer talent. It's quite an arrogant statement really, the same way she's convinced she'd win the X-Factor! Perhaps we're just not used to hearing someone being uber-confident and unashamed of it? :confused:

As to her voice (having grown up in the 70's with my mother blasting out her greatest hits on the stereo) I think she can sound lovely when she restrains her voice (sings quietly if you like) but when she belts out the chorus and screeches - ugh. Ear splitting stuff and spoils the songs IMO. However she WAS very successful back in the day, no matter how strange some people might find that nowadays :D She also carved out an incredibly successful TV career which I don't think should be sniffed at either. She does have talent but I also think her husband manager was excellent at his job and should take a large percentage of the credit too.
    Cannot stand Sheridan Smith , and for that reason i wont watch anything she is in,although she caught me off guard when i saw her in Gavin and Stacey.
    Had words with her over how she should look after her dog , it even made the papers .

Oooh, tell us more :blush: (<- for being so nosy!)
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cilla had zero stage presence as I recall. She'd just stand there and belt out the song. No comparison to say, Dusty Springfield, who showed raw emotion when she sang.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,862
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »

The problem is she built a career on being a 'proud scouser' and then she shot off to Buckinghamshire as fast as her little legs would carry her as soon as she got the chance. I don't blame her for it, I certainty wouldn't have wanted to stay in Liverpool in 70s, but the way she talks about it (and Paul O'Grady is similarly guilty of this) its like some hallowed land- Well if it's so great then go back there, she's barely associated herself with the place since and that's what winds people up I think! (apart from that hideous accent, which nobody has ever or will ever speak like, I mean even the most broad scouser's don't say hurr)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Cilla had zero stage presence as I recall. She'd just stand there and belt out the song. No comparison to say, Dusty Springfield, who showed raw emotion when she sang.

So true. I've often compared the two on DS. Dusty was a real student of music and invested much of her musical career over in the States, learning from the masters of soul. She lived and breathed it. It was her passion. Cilla had a decent voice in her younger years but she was more about being a 'personality.' Dusty had her own issues with drugs and alcohol as well as being intrinsically shy but there was a depth to her that is hard to define yet was reflected in her voice. She was also a ground breaker in terms of transcending class and race barriers in music, refusing to perform to a segregated audience in South Africa when apartheid was raging and immersing herself in the black music scene in America at a very sensitive time, historically. I was gutted when she died of cancer, having seemingly overcome so many of her demons.
  • Options
    WeeJintyMcGintyWeeJintyMcGinty Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    (apart from that hideous accent, which nobody has ever or will ever speak like, I mean even the most broad scouser's don't say hurr)

You are wrong. The scouse accent has evolved over the last 50 years but it was common for people of Cilla's generation to pronounce words like hair and fair, as 'hur' and 'fur' (for example George Harrison did too). She has an old style scouse accent that you only ever hear now from people of a certain age. (Funnily enough it's turned full circle and fur would now be pronounced 'fair' :D )

Btw it's not unusual for people to look back fondly/nostalgically to their youth and their roots, particularly the working classes. It doesn't mean they'd like to go back. I dare say Cilla's Dad used to sit in their flat in Liverpool talking fondly of the Ireland he 'escaped' for a better life, while her Mum spoke similarly of her Welsh background. Anyway, the Liverpool Cilla grew up in disappeared decades ago, the city is barely recognisable from her day, in particular the area where she grew up which was decimated by the slum clearances, with the community dispersed here, there and everywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »

No stage presence, no emotion and always just standing and belting out a song? Sorry, but that's really not true, no matter what you think of Cilla's voice or the person herself. All these are live performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K9hk3wjRfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykd7172CUeA

Randy Newman who composed this song says that Cilla's was the ultimate rendition of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ5fnaJRaRY