Options

The European Migrant Crisis

Comments

• Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    The Latest: Dutch police discover migrants on UK-bound ferry
    2:55 p.m.

Dutch military police have discovered 17 migrants hiding in a truck on board a ferry that was about to depart from the town Hook of Holland to the British port of Harwich.

http://news.yahoo.com/latest-dutch-police-discover-migrants-uk-bound-ferry-135640696.html
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    It's a complete non starter, unless anyone is masochistic enough to want to bankrupt themselves and the nation and at record breaking speed. Nor could it ever close the door on terrorists.
    There's been a response from the Government.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/107516

Complete with porkies of course.

I agree that its a non-starter, but not fir the reasons you have highlighted. Top ministers have come out and said that immigration has added little to no benefit to our economy. We do need limited numbers, in professions where there are serious shortages; however what needs to happen is skilling up of indigenous populations. We have a serious housing crisis in the UK, and importing more people adds to this. We will never get to the stage where more houses are being built than needed due to supply and demand, and the newcomers, coupled alongside the never-discussed issue of British born children of immigrant communities, mean we are headed somewhere very dangerous.

Its a ponzi scheme to say increasing newcomers taxing will help an NHS already on its knees. We need to bring NET down to 10,000's, and the only way to do this would be to exit the EU.

What Cameron is doing with the Syrians is completely right, but it should come with the caveat of it being entirely temporary. I also do not trust the motives of many coming here. I live in Leeds, and you see lots of homeless people out on the streets. Recently there was a new face, a woman in a hijab who I hadnt seen before begging outside a bank. I went over with a warm tea for her, as I disagree with giving money. I spoke to her a little, with what we could both understand, and her words were 'we came for safety, and for benefit, British people [are] good people, we want to live like you'. Two things unsettled me, that yes she came for safety, but her motives were also economic. Second was she was begging, but to be in the country must either be already on benefits, or illegal. If this is the kind of person we are importing I cannot agree with it. To generalise slightly, we dont need any more car washes, we dont need any more fast food restaurants, and we dont need any more beggars. These people must be helped at their homes, because bringing them here transfers the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No let up for Merkel on refugees as Bavaria demands quick action
    Angela Merkel's conservative allies in Bavaria increased pressure on the German chancellor over her open-door refugee policy at the weekend, saying she has until the end of the year to have European deals in place to ease the crisis.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-merkel-idUSKBN0TP0KF20151206
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gay Migrants Segregated In Dutch Shelters Against Minister’s Wishes
    Despite a government minister’s opposition, five gay migrants in Amsterdam have been moved to a new location after they were threatened, spat on and attacked by other residents housed in their refugee centre.

The threats and attacks against gay migrants are so numerous and serious that they “often don’t dare leave their rooms”, Philip Tijsma of gay rights lobby group COC told Amsterdam’s daily newspaper Het Parool.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/12/06/gay-migrants-segregated-dutch-shelters-ministers-wishes/
  • Options
    PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Migrants on Video: Paris Attacks ‘Good,’ ‘by 2025 All of France Will Become Muslim’

"When asked on camera whether it is good to kill French people for Allah, Muslim migrants seeking asylum in Italy answered affirmatively, remarking that it is “good” to kill French people, and warning of a looming December 8 Islamist attack on Rome."

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/12/06/migrants-video-paris-attacks-good-2025-off-france-will-become-muslim/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Greece - Government unveils plan to set up five hotspots
    Only days after requesting European Union help in tackling the ongoing migrant and refugee crisis, the Greek government has unveiled plans to set up five so-called hotspots to register and identify arrivals.

The decision, which was published early Saturday in the Government Gazette, foresees the creation of screening centers on the eastern Aegean islands of Chios, Kos, Leros, Samos and Lesvos.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/204081/article/ekathimerini/news/government-unveils-plan-to-set-up-five-hotspots

Greece to set up island screening centres to ease refugee crisis
    Threat of suspension from Schengen zone prompts Athens to publish surprise legislation that opposition says will kill tourism on Aegean islands
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/06/greece-to-set-up-island-screening-centres-to-ease-refugee-crisis
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dresden fears Pegida demos hurting tourism
    The German city of Dresden, known for its Baroque architecture and romantic Christmas market, worries about the damage to its image caused by the xenophobic protests of the Pegida movement.
    <snip>
    For more than a year, the city has made headlines as the birthplace and centre of the far-right populist movement "Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the Occident", whose flag-waving members rally every Monday against refugees.
    http://www.thelocal.de/20151206/romantic-dresden-fears-anti-foreigner-demos-hurting-tourism
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moroccans Threaten Mass Suicide at Greek-Macedonian Border
    Moroccan migrants say they will die at the border if they do not gain entrance to Macedonia. This week, one Moroccan migrant died of electrocution after climbing on railroad cables. Other Moroccans suggest the death was a suicide, and they are threatening to do the same.

* Verbal translations included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFWh9mnfdB4

I'm not sure what they think that will achieve. Morocco is a safe country. Why don't they just go home? Do we really want people who make threats like this wandering freely around Europe anyway?

Moroccan Protesters Confront Greek Police at Macedonian Border
    Moroccan migrants demand entrance to Macedonia. They stage a protest directly in front of Greek riot police.

Filmed Dec. 6, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tGfgV-1L_U
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gay Migrants Segregated In Dutch Shelters Against Minister’s Wishes
    Despite a government minister’s opposition, five gay migrants in Amsterdam have been moved to a new location after they were threatened, spat on and attacked by other residents housed in their refugee centre.

The threats and attacks against gay migrants are so numerous and serious that they “often don’t dare leave their rooms”, Philip Tijsma of gay rights lobby group COC told Amsterdam’s daily newspaper Het Parool.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/12/06/gay-migrants-segregated-dutch-shelters-ministers-wishes/

And yet authorities all over Europe have failed to provide safe segregated accomodation for women and children who are regularly subjected to serious and numerous attacks. I gurss they don't matter.

And how do they propose to effect the magical transformation from ME bigot to good European citizen anyway? Ain't gonna happen, is it? Unless they take action now and start refusing asylum to rapists and anti-gay migrants, after they've served their sentences for criminal acts, that is.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that its a non-starter, but not fir the reasons you have highlighted. Top ministers have come out and said that immigration has added little to no benefit to our economy. We do need limited numbers, in professions where there are serious shortages; however what needs to happen is skilling up of indigenous populations. We have a serious housing crisis in the UK, and importing more people adds to this. We will never get to the stage where more houses are being built than needed due to supply and demand, and the newcomers, coupled alongside the never-discussed issue of British born children of immigrant communities, mean we are headed somewhere very dangerous.

Its a ponzi scheme to say increasing newcomers taxing will help an NHS already on its knees. We need to bring NET down to 10,000's, and the only way to do this would be to exit the EU.

What Cameron is doing with the Syrians is completely right, but it should come with the caveat of it being entirely temporary. I also do not trust the motives of many coming here. I live in Leeds, and you see lots of homeless people out on the streets. Recently there was a new face, a woman in a hijab who I hadnt seen before begging outside a bank. I went over with a warm tea for her, as I disagree with giving money. I spoke to her a little, with what we could both understand, and her words were 'we came for safety, and for benefit, British people [are] good people, we want to live like you'. Two things unsettled me, that yes she came for safety, but her motives were also economic. Second was she was begging, but to be in the country must either be already on benefits, or illegal. If this is the kind of person we are importing I cannot agree with it. To generalise slightly, we dont need any more car washes, we dont need any more fast food restaurants, and we dont need any more beggars. These people must be helped at their homes, because bringing them here transfers the problem.

Are you saying that indefinitely closing the UK's borders wouldn't be catastrophic?
    I can only have the vain hope that I could escape with my net worth in tact if it were to happen.

I've always thought that anyone's wish to live here, obviously not asylum seekers, should be dependant on a job being secured first or having enough capital as collateral. I agree with your points on the housing crisis. I'm unsure about what can be done to attract young people to the professions suffering serious shortages. I agree that ever rising EU migration appears to be the reason for the rising net migration figure. As it stands successful EU renegotiation on benefit payments at the very least is a necessity, but it would affect any Brit in any other EU country claiming benefits. I don't know what could persuade me to vote to stay now. Their ability to do the wrong thing for Europe and refugees, their gross incompetence and neglect and Germany's power are all too worrying.
    As I don't know why the woman you were speaking to was begging I can't comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moroccan migrants say they will die at the border if they do not gain entrance to Macedonia. This week, one Moroccan migrant died of electrocution after climbing on railroad cables. Other Moroccans suggest the death was a suicide, and they are threatening to do the same.

I'm not sure what they think that will achieve. Morocco is a safe country. Why don't they just go home? Do we really want people who make threats like this wandering freely around Europe anyway?

Moroccan Protesters Confront Greek Police at Macedonian Border
    Moroccan migrants demand entrance to Macedonia. They stage a protest directly in front of Greek riot police.

Filmed Dec. 6, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tGfgV-1L_U

Well they'll achieve..... death, I suppose. If that's what they prefer, so be it. Emotional blackmail is vile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedro wrote: »
    Migrants on Video: Paris Attacks ‘Good,’ ‘by 2025 All of France Will Become Muslim’

"When asked on camera whether it is good to kill French people for Allah, Muslim migrants seeking asylum in Italy answered affirmatively, remarking that it is “good” to kill French people, and warning of a looming December 8 Islamist attack on Rome."

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/12/06/migrants-video-paris-attacks-good-2025-off-france-will-become-muslim/

Pleased about Paris, threatening Rome. Europe is suicidal in continuing to accept these people.
    We need to tear up asylum laws and stop picking them up in the Med. No one should be obliged to succour those who hate them and cheer on their killers.
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thousands of refugees rescued off Libyan coast

Off the Libyan coast!?, why don’t they just pick them up and ship them over ffs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they'll achieve..... death, I suppose. If that's what they prefer, so be it. Emotional blackmail is vile.

They're like children threatening to run away so that Mum and Dad will be sorry.
    They have no intentions of offing themselves. The pity pleas didn't work so now they try blackmail. The one who has already electrocuted himself was a candidate for the Darwin awards, that's all.

These are the people who blocked genuine refugees, pitiful little families, from getting through the other day - I have no sympathy whatsoever for the. They can go home or freeze their tails off at the border. We've got all the migrants we can use, thanks very much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    They're like children threatening to run away so that Mum and Dad will be sorry.
    They have no intentions of offing themselves. The pity pleas didn't work so now they try blackmail. The one who has already electrocuted himself was a candidate for the Darwin awards, that's all.

These are the people who blocked genuine refugees, pitiful little families, from getting through the other day - I have no sympathy whatsoever for the. They can go home or freeze their tails off at the border. We've got all the migrants we can use, thanks very much.

Yes, that was disgraceful. Now the Greek riot police have had to stay at the border to ensure safe passage for the genuine refugees. Thankfully, their presence has ensured that a couple of thousand of them have been able to cross the border over the past few days.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Pleased about Paris, threatening Rome. Europe is suicidal in continuing to accept these people.
    We need to tear up asylum laws and stop picking them up in the Med. No one should be obliged to succour those who hate them and cheer on their killers.

We or indeed Europe did stop picking them up. Don't you remember during the general election campaign the furore about Cameron backing the mass slaughter of refugees by drowning. I exaggerate but the way the media went on you would think that it what the Tories were accused of. Cameron had to go to an emergency meeting in Europe and they decided they had to start picking them up again. Trouble is you can't just take them back and land them in a foreign country without their permission.

I agree though that Europe is on a death wish though and asylum rules have to be torn up.
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying that indefinitely closing the UK's borders wouldn't be catastrophic?
    I can only have the vain hope that I could escape with my net worth in tact if it were to happen.

I've always thought that anyone's wish to live here, obviously not asylum seekers, should be dependant on a job being secured first or having enough capital as collateral.

No I inferred that we do need migration, however it needs to be at a deficit or strictly limited to the 10,000's. It needs to almost be a case of 'this years quota is full - no more until more leave.' Its a very tough stance, but these are tough times. Things such as housing, teaching, NHS, transport, local governance, taxes etc. will be under ever increasing strain until we take tough stances. There may be urgent exceptions, for instance the worlds only top brain surgeon, and migrants must be able to fund themselves. We are past the tipping point in this country, and its only going to get worse and worse. It is a falacy to say it would be 'catastrophic'. Nobody can truly say what would happen. If as Theresa May states, migration has zero benefit, then a net migration of 0 or a deficit will not be a negative, as there is less strain on essential services and the economy. Growth cant continue forever, and a population boom such as ours cannot continue unabated.

I also believe that family unification should be scaled right back. Im sorry but their wives/children/mum/dads do not meet the criteria of necessary skills. Obviously this is not for asylum seekers - mainly regular migrants. It is also the case for marriages from abroad, and its too much for these migrants, they are always welcome to return to their country of origin, or move to another country that will take them e.g. Germany.

Anyway Im going off topic on the discussion!
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. The lie that's peddled is that people do things like this out of desperation. It's not. It's blackmail. It's people using others' sentimentality against them. It's people coming from a different culture, of extreme forms of protest and passion overriding reason.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow .. Some wealthy migrants out there! they can afford £10,000 to smugglers to get to Britain. then I guess they live off our benefit system for the rest of their lives. Doesn't bear thinking about.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12034653/Middle-class-migrants-paying-10000-to-be-smuggled-into-Britain-by-speedboat.html
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is they know pictures of dozens of 'refugees' lying dead on the tracks would be enough to reboot the guilt complex in Germany/Sweden which has been wavering a bit. If they do it it will confirm my opinion this migration is to a significant extent religiously based.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    Thousands of refugees rescued off Libyan coast

Off the Libyan coast!?, why don’t they just pick them up and ship them over ffs.

Ship them where? Unless you think Lybia would sit back and allow anyone to enter their waters illegally, let alone in the numbers required.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ship them where? Unless you think Lybia would sit back and allow anyone to enter their waters illegally, let alone in the numbers required.

They would if they were accompanied by a Royal Navy battleship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wave of young Afghan migrants seen hurting economy they leave behind
    KABUL, Dec 7 (Reuters) - Afghan software entrepreneur Farshid Ghyasi, chief executive of the Netlinks company, is struggling to keep his best employees, as more plan to join a wave of migrants leaving for Europe that risks causing long-term damage to the country and its economy.

He is not alone in bemoaning the mass exodus, triggered by poor job prospects and worsening security as Taliban insurgents grow more powerful after the bulk of NATO troops withdrew at the end of 2014.

Many of those going are young city dwellers who should be spending their productive years at home as their country struggles to emerge from war, and nearly 15 years of international support, to build a self-sustaining economy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3348573/Wave-young-Afghan-migrants-seen-hurting-economy-leave-behind.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Migrant crisis: German charity gives gifts to refugees
    Refugees in Mulheim, west Germany, received boxes of presents made by volunteers at a local charity.
    Locals donated sweets, crayons and drawing pads to the Welcome to Mulheim refugee initiative that was set up by Reinhard Jehles.
    Mr Jehles explained how it all came together.

video - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35021707
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    We or indeed Europe did stop picking them up. Don't you remember during the general election campaign the furore about Cameron backing the mass slaughter of refugees by drowning. I exaggerate but the way the media went on you would think that it what the Tories were accused of. Cameron had to go to an emergency meeting in Europe and they decided they had to start picking them up again. Trouble is you can't just take them back and land them in a foreign country without their permission.

I agree though that Europe is on a death wish though and asylum rules have to be torn up.

Yes, I remebered but knew it had never come to anything. So we're stuck with picking them up in their thousands every week. Migrants will bankrupt European countries and set up slums because of the housing shortage. It has to stop. It's been a surprise to me that Cameron has been right about limiting migration and right about stopping nava
    l rescue. I think the migrants know very well that they'll be picked up - maye knowing they won't be wil halt the influx, at least from safe African coutries.
This discussion has been closed.