Options

Christmas day as annual leave

13»

Comments

• Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    What's the 2 that not all get then cos I get 12 statutory holidays?
    Statutory holidays are the number of days paid holiday you are entitled to by law. This is calculated based a figure of 5.6 weeks per year. That gives 28 days paid holiday a year for someone working a typical five day week. If you get 12 statutory holidays a year you must be working part time.

Whether you get bank holidays in addition to your statutory days, or they come out of your statutory allowance (or you even get them at all) is something that should be laid out in your contract of employment.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Statutory holidays are the number of days paid holiday you are entitled to by law. This is calculated based a figure of 5.6 weeks per year. That gives 28 days paid holiday a year for someone working a typical five day week. If you get 12 statutory holidays a year you must be working part time.

Whether you get bank holidays in addition to your statutory days, or they come out of your statutory allowance (or you even get them at all) is something that should be laid out in your contract of employment.

By statutory I meant statutory closures as opposed to annual leave.

I get 21 days and 12 bank holidays (10 this year but that's because it was 14 last year due to the leave year). That's why I'm asking about the bank holidays in NI cos I get 12 off not 10.

I work in HR so I do know what the minimum leave entitlement is but we work in terms of annual leave and stat leave.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    By statutory I meant statutory closures as opposed to annual leave.

I get 21 days and 12 bank holidays (10 this year but that's because it was 14 last year due to the leave year). That's why I'm asking about the bank holidays in NI cos I get 12 off not 10.
    There are ten bank holidays in Northern Ireland as shown here: https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays#northern-ireland

If there are other days that you are required to take off then perhaps they are local holidays or other days when your business is closed. For example, I get 35 days holiday a year and I am required to take eight of those on bank holidays plus three days between Christmas and New Year as our office is closed then. That leaves 24 days to take when I choose.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    There are ten bank holidays in Northern Ireland as shown here: https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays#northern-ireland

If there are other days that you are required to take off then perhaps they are local holidays or other days when your business is closed. For example, I get 35 days holiday a year and I am required to take eight of those on bank holidays plus three days between Christmas and New Year as our office is closed then. That leaves 24 days to take when I choose.

They're not local holidays, 13th July and 24th December are taken by the majority of public sector organisations in NI.
  • Options
    David_Flett1David_Flett1 Posts: 9,309
    Forum Member
    I really have no clue what you are talking about? Criteria? I am talking about what the minimum holiday entitlement used to be and what it is now. It used to be 20 days and now it is 28 days. It always included Bank Holidays so it is now 8 days extra.
    No it wouldn't. It is 28 days which can include the Bank Holidays so if an extra Bank Holiday was added you would still only get 28 days off.

Because if you were given an extra Bank Holiday it would have to be adjusted to 29 days because you would not be able to deduct a day from the way people normally treat holiday entitlement where they take them in blocks of weeks. If 28 days remained the case then as I pointed out at least one of the weeks would be subject to losing a day.

I can just imagine what the reaction would have been from my staff if I had said yes there is a new public holiday but I will have to deduct one of your days from your four weeks holiday because the number iof days still remains 28 days.

Perhaps you don't agree and therefore you would be in the minority because the majority of employers and more importantly employees expect their holiday entitlement to be calculated as 4 weeks holiday which is calculated as 4 x 5 day working week plus the 8 public holidays.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current employer calculates your annual leave in hours rather than days, based on how many hours per week you are contracted to. The total number of hours includes an allowance for the bank holidays. I work six hours on a Sunday so to get paid for tomorrow I have to use six hours from my holiday allowance.
  • Options
    David_Flett1David_Flett1 Posts: 9,309
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    My current employer calculates your annual leave in hours rather than days, based on how many hours per week you are contracted to. The total number of hours includes an allowance for the bank holidays. I work six hours on a Sunday so to get paid for tomorrow I have to use six hours from my holiday allowance.

This is quite normal especially for part time workers who although may only work 3 days are normally entitled to the same 5.6 weeks holiday but obviously this works out at 16.8 days. It is more complex than just working to the statuatory 28 days as someone working a 6 day week as many in retail do are only entitled to 28 days not 33.6.