[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    rubik cube is very easy to work out how it is done I thought
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Well of course it's "fake" in the sense, as he says,nobody is a psychic

yep,, its just a trick he does,,,thats the beauty of it, he does it better than any of the so called "psychics", whilst telling you its not true
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Ok im getting the idea.

The fact is though i cant do that and most people couldnt either. Not how specifically he is doing it.

I think psychics are all frauds, but what hes doing is exactly the same as they do. Hes made himself millions from doing this kind of thing so i dont think hes in a position to judge someone who makes the odd fifty quid here and there with "lucky guesses"

Because he doesn't play on peoples emotions. People don't go to see him hoping to speak to a deceased relative or hear from 'beyond the grave'. He is an entertainer. He doesn't tell people things they want to hear and charge them for it. That is the difference.
  • Options
    jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, not more being read the answers through an earpiece by a guy offstage...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL, they probably thought he had cheated in the exam,,, it must have been hard to explain how he remembered it all
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonm01 wrote: »
    Oh dear, not more being read the answers through an earpiece by a guy offstage...

Seriously, type "memory palace" into a search engine.....
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't someone check his ears for an earpiece? ah they must have been actors lol.
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    How did we learn the planets? That's basic mnemonics
  • Options
    Forum Member

:D:D:D lol,,, if it was that easy he would be booed off stage :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, type "memory palace" into a search engine.....

I'm fully aware of that. But he isn't using that technique. This is the same thing he did with the telephone directory at previous shows. You really think he would 'memorise' every number from every town or city he was doing a show at!? Er, no. Someone reads the answers through a very discrete earpiece.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I don't need to know how he does it I just enjoy being entertained and baffled. It's why I love illusion.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny that people are getting upset about other people being sceptical about the tricks of a performer who's entire act is about scepticism. We're only getting in the spirit of it! If you genuinely believe Derren Brown is some mind master then you've got no business looking down on people who believe in psychics.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm fully aware of that. But he isn't using that technique. This is the same thing he did with the telephone directory at previous shows. You really think he would 'memorise' every number from every town or city he was doing a show at!? Er, no. Someone reads the answers through a very discrete earpiece.
    lol.

Enjoying the show but reading the comments on here are also amusing me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bu turning everything in to a picture.. He's just said that..... Memory palace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funny that people are getting upset about other people being sceptical about the tricks of a performer who's entire act is about scepticism. We're only getting in the spirit of it! If you genuinely believe Derren Brown is some mind master then you've got no business looking down on people who believe in psychics.

i know he isnt some sort of mind master as you put it, but what he does is a very clever trick, and for that i enjoy what he does
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Theres no possible way he could do that phone number thing.
  • Options
    Foxy RhinoFoxy Rhino Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bet that lady has her phone switched off tonight. Of course because people had the number on their calculator, it's easy for any sceptics to ring up and check.
  • Options
    Forum Member

there are world memory championships where people memorize pages of binary code, it can be done
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not unless he knew the outcome of those dice. I supposed the could be weighted....

That would make the rest of the trick a lot easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bu turning everything in to a picture.. He's just said that..... Memory palace.

Fair enough, you just carry on believing that this very busy entertainer has the time to spend weeks and weeks memorising information far in advance of any human being ever, including the people who compete in it, rather than have it relayed to him through clever technology. Coincidently, exactly as seen in the Gadget Man show before this programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    there are world memory championships where people memorize pages of binary code, it can be done

I meant the way the number was supposedly chosen randomly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I meant the way the number was supposedly chosen randomly

oh i see, i have no idea either :D

Edit : looking back i think i answered your question by mistake , i was supposed to answer someone else :blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not unless he knew the outcome of those dice. I supposed the could be weighted....

That would make the rest of the trick a lot easier.

If he didnt know the woman how would he know what to set the dice on?

We never did see her bit of paper did we with her phone number on?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I think a certain % of people will perhaps go along with it.. especially if they're on stage. But I believe some are so highly suggestive that they do go "under".

On the Hypnosis thing, something some might find interesting, from Radio 4.
    Archive on 4 You are feeling Sleepy.

The history and science of the use of hypnosis in medicine.

Hypnosis has BMA and BMJ approval, NHS support for helping with the likes of depression, anxiety, burns and childbirth, and a pedigree of being used to alleviate physical and mental pain for thousands of men in the Great War. Yet in the popular imagination, hypnosis is associated much more with quick-fix quacks and dodgy stage shows.

But as well as the charlatans and fakers, there have also been pioneers in genuine medical hypnosis, whose stories are less often told, but whose extraordinary dedication and impressive willingness to challenge the medical establishment, often at great personal cost, led to the clinical understanding of hypnosis that we have today.

In this Archive on 4, interviewees include psychiatrist Dr John Butler, illusionist Derren Brown, hypnotherapist and hypnotist Chris Green, hypno-birthing expert Tamara Ciafini, and Associate Professor of History at the University of Chicago, Alison Winter.

And there is archive not only of the ground-breakers, but also of the bogus and the mystical, and variations both serious and hilarious of 'happiness sought through radical personal transformation'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holy shit people. The whole point of illusionists is walk away going "how did he do that?" how have we become so cynical that we now jump straight too "how did he do that... CAUSE HE FAKE OBVZ!"

It's like showing a card trick to your mates you know it's not real, they know it's not real but the greatness of it is how they fool you. But now your mate wants to take the deck and shuffle knowing that's not real just so they can go "ha it's not real!" in your face when of course there is a trick to it.

The memory palace is a real thing and if your somebody who can store more information easier like Derren has proven he has it's not a leap to think he spends time memorizing it. You dont have to take in any context just memorize what the word or number is.