Options

The Island with Bear Grylls - Channel 4

Comments

• Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    londonman wrote: »
    There is a distinct polarisation between the two groups of men and I wonder if Channel 4 arranged this deliberately. On the one hand you have a group of bone-idle lazy under 30-somethings who like nothing better than to sunbathe while the other group - those 30+ are actually making things happen. Is this to try and reinforce the stereotype image that Yoof of today are bone-idle?

I would put money on anyone here bitching about Rupert are under 30.

Lastly when they were all starving, they missed the walking larder aka Ryan. I'd have had no concern in 'helping' him contribute as a food source. Irritates the hell out of me.

You've come up with a theory, but failed to look at the facts.
    How old is Joe the farmer, Sackie?
    Ryan was out and about looking for food with Sackie this week.
    Assuming that those Rupert didn't moan about were doing 'some' work, the Hairdresser bloke did do some work, along side some sunbathing and swimming.
    When they came back from their daytime trek/hunt there were older members of the group also sleeping and sunbathing.

You'd lose your money on your age group bet too.
  • Options
    JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what things would be like if they were on there for real ?...i.e. no back up and no cameras..

I suspect the sun bathing would last all of 5 seconds and Rupert would install himself as supreme leader/Dictator.
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved les Hiddins he was by far the best of them all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yObpeHD6_X4
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    observer1 wrote: »
    yes. but the implication is that the food and water resource exists IF they can find it. at the moment their water source is given to them by the production company imho in dyed brown safe water ( I simply do not believe they are boiling unsafe water for 13 men) and the food that they have eaten has also been given to them including the stingray and the caiman.
    A lot of suppositions, based on no evidence at all. We saw them boiling water in the first episode and talked about how much water they need to boil, and we see them carrying water in many episodes back to the camp. We also saw them trying to spear a stingray (second episode I think), and stingrays are sea creatures, it is hard to plant anything like that because they can swim away. And they do have to catch the caiman themselves even if it was brought to the island.

No need to see conspiracy, just see it as a show as stated - the production crew ensured that there are enough food and water on the island to sustain those on the island, but the people there need to find/catch/fish/forage for those themselves.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    I'm sorry but he is an adult and none of them is his parent. He could have gone on the night hunt, even if they didn't catch anything it was an adventure that they would likely never experience again.

He behaved like an eight year old, yes I may have sneaked back and quietly woken an eight year old but an adult never.

I have no words for how ridiculous this sounds....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    A lot of suppositions, based on no evidence at all. We saw them boiling water in the first episode and talked about how much water they need to boil, and we see them carrying water in many episodes back to the camp. We also saw them trying to spear a stingray (second episode I think), and stingrays are sea creatures, it is hard to plant anything like that because they can swim away. And they do have to catch the caiman themselves even if it was brought to the island.

No need to see conspiracy, just see it as a show as stated - the production crew ensured that there are enough food and water on the island to sustain those on the island, but the people there need to find/catch/fish/forage for those themselves.

Same point, I made earlier, they still need to trek about getting the water and firewood.
    At the moment it looks like whatever has been 'planted/seeded' on the island for them, they're not actually taking, haven't found or haven't recognised.
    They seem to be surviving on coconuts, snails, occasional oyster rare catch of fish/stingray.
    I 'think' there's more on the Island they could be foraging for, but foraging still takes energy and commitment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved les Hiddins he was by far the best of them all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yObpeHD6_X4

Thought that was going to be a link to Les Hiddins doing his thing.
    What I got after a lot of preamble was Les Hiddins saying Bears a bit of a dill and if people copied him they could get into trouble.
    Les Hiddins didn't survive purely on the Bush Tucker he found during his programs, he took food along with him too.

Bear's programs where he jumps out of choppers, etc, is a bit of escapism.
    If you're stupid enough to think you can just wing it and copy him out in the wild, then you're very very stupid, that wouldn't be Bear's fault.
    Where are all these stupid people who don't know it's a bit of escapism and copied him, I haven't heard of them.

There are plenty of c0ckmeisters about, that bloke who didn't think he needed proper maps when sailing around the UK and tried to use OS or AA road maps, he was repeatedly rescued by the coast guard.
    I had a boss who had a similar attitude to flying and decided he could just follow the roads, they took his light aircraft license off him eventually.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help but think Rupert is either a complete plant and in constant contact with the producers or he's just a grade a knob wanting as much airtime as possible.

I'd say the former, particularly as it was revealed he is an aspiring actor in LA.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Im convinced this is mostly faked. it seems like the camera guys (or actors\show employees) are the ones leading the narrative and creating these situations between themselves. It also seems to be mostly collections of edits where it suits probably from entirely different times and context.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i read channel 4's terms of the experiment last night, so have posted the link below for anyone who might find it interesting :)

it includes how they planted additional yuca tree's etc, etc, etc

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-island-with-bear-grylls/articles/all/terms-of-the-experiment

Oh yeah there was that as well. They discover the new source of carbs which seems like a miracle and then overnight they are all rotten.....how?
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Bumped for tonight's show!

Ooooo! they don't like it up 'em!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I wonder what will happen to just"wash up" this week
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed last week's programme...Did I miss any earth-shattering moments?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They still havent caught that big fridge full of food yet ;-):D:D
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen to just"wash up" this week

an enema kit :o
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Don't try this at home kids! :D
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Home made enema....Lovely!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What the hell is going on :o:o:o:D:D
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine walking back from a food forage to see that in camp. I think I'd turn straight back around.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slightly scarred by that! :eek:
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Jeeze, why did I just eat? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    an enema kit :o

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    Wonder if Biffo from these forums is watching :D:D
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Sweet jesus. :o

In 5 years time- 'Hi mate, were you that guy on that Island show that shoved a tube up his ass on camera'? :D
  • Options
    FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't try this at home kids! :D

Oh I don't know there must be a channel 4 documentary in it,