Options

The Island with Bear Grylls - Channel 4

Comments

• Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Jackapple wrote: »
    I think every one is seeing through Rupert's idiotic Rambo routine now, it can only get worse for the big doofus.

At least he is throwing in his all on a trip of a lifetime, if he was like the rest they more than likely would have stopped filming and sent them all home.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i read channel 4's terms of the experiment last night, so have posted the link below for anyone who might find it interesting :)

it includes how they planted additional yuca tree's etc, etc, etc

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-island-with-bear-grylls/articles/all/terms-of-the-experiment

Shh, don't ruin the 'magic'! :p
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    i read channel 4's terms of the experiment last night, so have posted the link below for anyone who might find it interesting :)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-island-with-bear-grylls/articles/all/terms-of-the-experiment

I think that was pretty obvious when they rotted so quickly after the initial finding the treasure trove of food.
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting this fiagomez. Maybe that will put paid to all the conspiracy theorists and those seeking to cry 'fake!' at every turn and discussion can remain focused on the men, their interaction and decisions. Enjoying this show a lot! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member

very interesting. however, I do not believe for one moment that there are indigenous caimans on or around this island. I also dispute the fact that there are snakes there and that they would expose an inexperienced cast to stingrays given that they can get stressed very easily if being poked like that. Ask anyone who lives in key west Miami about how stingrays react to being stressed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ooops, sorry!!! :cry:

:p:D:D

Ha ha. I jest of course and I agree, interesting article. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this fiagomez. Maybe that will put paid to all the conspiracy theorists and those seeking to cry 'fake!' at every turn and discussion can remain focused on the men, their interaction and decisions. Enjoying this show a lot! :)

actually I think it vindicates the conspiracy theorists rather than 'puts paid' to them. if they are willing to admit this then there sure as hell is a lot more out there that is dodgy. its becoming like shipwrecked.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    observer1 wrote: »
    very interesting. however, I do not believe for one moment that there are indigenous caimans on or around this island. I also dispute the fact that there are snakes there and that they would expose an inexperienced cast to stingrays given that they can get stressed very easily if being poked like that. Ask anyone who lives in key west Miami about how stingrays react to being stressed.
    Why would we "believe for one moment" your claim that there are no indigenous caimans? Or your claim about snakes? Or your claim about stingrays?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stringrays are nowhere near as dangerous (and yes I know all about Steve Irwin) as some people like to make out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Why would we "believe for one moment" your claim that there are no indigenous caimans? Or your claim about snakes? Or your claim about stingrays?

I wasn't trying to force you to believe me. I was just putting it out there. I often work in Panama and I know of the island that it is filmed on although I have never been there. I do know that geographically it is fairly remote and that caimans (especially small ones) would not be able to travel to that island in quite rough salty water. There are different species but I believe most require a fresh water environment but can cope/an enjoy a little saltwater too. My claims about stingrays are valid. they would never allow these townies anywhere near a real stingray on h&s grounds.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't help but think Rupert is either a complete plant and in constant contact with the producers or he's just a grade a knob wanting as much airtime as possible.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    True Botham/ Rupert even admitted he shouldn't have said it but faced with some whining man child who didn't listen to the reasons they already gave re why they didn't trek back at night and wake people up just so that he could then come back and see it with them, I can't say I blame him all that much.

That's why I said putting aside whether Ryan is an arse or not. Because all the scrutiny so far has been on Ryan, and we've covered that extensively.
    The point I was making is that what Rupert said to Ryan about most people never getting the chance to see a live turtle was quite premeditated and nasty considering that Ryan had already told the camp that to see a turtle was one of his life dreams (Yeah, right).
    Which in my opinion doesn't make Rupert a better person. If he is actually saying things to Ryan in order to try to make Ryan act up then Rupert is just as much at fault as Ryan is.
    It strikes me that Ryan can hardly be fully to blame for acting up if much of it is due to Rupert being a root cause of some of these outbursts by trying to goad Ryan into a reaction (and as it now appears others)..

In my opinion Rupert comes across as a bit of a narcissist. He wants to be seen as the hero of the camp by others, and one of those means would be to undermine others to make them appear in a poor light next to him. He appears to be so concerned with his image in camp as their saviour who they all look up to and pat on the back.
    He and Ryan are like two extremes of each other.
    Ryan comes across like a whiny maggot, but Rupert comes across as a rather arrogant, sanctimonious holier than thou git who likes to achieve things in order to give him the excuse to point fingers at others.

It's good that there are one or two in there like Sam who appear to be very balanced.
    I noticed that Rupert didn't like it when Sam tried to encourage morale and camaraderie in the camp. As I don't think it suited Rupert's own agenda.

I can't say that I like Ryan very much, but neither am I keen on Rupert. I think both of them would be a bit of a nightmare to spend any length of extended time with.
  • Options
    MarkyTheMonkeyMarkyTheMonkey Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Does it magically fill up over night? I expect that trench is lined and then topped up by producers with dyed water each time it gets low. Are people stupid enough to believe this? Call me cynical but i'm just putting these points out there.

You are not cynical - half of what you suggested in you post has been admitted by the production team already. On the Channel4 website, there are 'extras' videos where they explain the rubber lined water pool etc.

Yes the caimen was planted, & another has been/will be released.

Also remember that Kiff, Matt & Rupert have worked with Bear Grylls on other projects including the one where he faked living in the wild while actually staying in a hotel. They may be classed as 'participants', but they are also production crew with a vested interest in making good tv. Every time a drama has occurred on the island, one of them is somehow involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't trying to force you to believe me. I was just putting it out there. I often work in Panama and I know of the island that it is filmed on although I have never been there. I do know that geographically it is fairly remote and that caimans (especially small ones) would not be able to travel to that island in quite rough salty water. There are different species but I believe most require a fresh water environment but can cope/an enjoy a little saltwater too. My claims about stingrays are valid. they would never allow these townies anywhere near a real stingray on h&s grounds.

I agree with what you're saying.
    Last night especially I found it very hard to believe indeed that the men would be allowed to go out at night hunting caiman.
    Unless the caiman involved are dwarf caiman we're talking crocs that could be what, 4 or 5 feet long? In which case if caiman really are out there free what they were going out on would essentially be a suicide mission for at least one of the men.

Can you imagine the national News at Ten headlines announcing that criminal charges are to be pressed against the programme makers for allowing members of the public participating in their show to get killed by crocodiles?
    It just isn't going to happen. Not a chance.
    There are extremely strict rules and guidelines in place when it comes to members of the public being put at risk in the making of TV programmes. They aren't just broadcasting rules and guidelines either, there are legal ramifications if a production company puts members of the public in harm's way whilst making a TV show.
    There's good reason why the baby crocs on 'I'm a Celebrity...' have their jaws taped up.

The show isn't going to just let the men go off genuinely hunting caiman at night. It just isn't going to happen.
    This is a Bear Grylls production don't forget.;-):D
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    That's why I said putting aside whether Ryan is an arse or not. Because all the scrutiny so far has been on Ryan, and we've covered that extensively.
    The point I was making is that what Rupert said to Ryan about most people never getting the chance to see a live turtle was quite premeditated and nasty considering that Ryan had already told the camp that to see a turtle was one of his life dreams (Yeah, right).
    Which in my opinion doesn't make Rupert a better person. If he is actually saying things to Ryan in order to try to make Ryan act up then Rupert is just as much at fault as Ryan is.
    It strikes me that Ryan can hardly be fully to blame for acting up if much of it is due to Rupert being a root cause of some of these outbursts by trying to goad Ryan into a reaction (and as it now appears others)..
    <snip>

Aye, given that Rupert wasn't the only person to see the Turtle, I'm guessing that he said something either in content or tone to 'get' at Ryan.
    Rupert doesn't seem to be coming out of this too well.
    He wasn't happy when Sackie (sp) wouldn't go Caiman hunting and announced it in front of the group.
    I can only guess he thought Sackie was on his 'side' and was part of his mini group, I suspect he won't be having a go at Sackie any time soon because he'll get it right back.

All that said, I do think Rupert had a point about the day after the Stingray, they should have used that burst of energy to do more exploring and looking for alternative foods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something else about Rupert.
    In the latest show we were shown a VT of him with a bit of backstory about who he is, where he came from, and how he came to be a participant on The Island.

What was presented in the VT implied that he was lost in life, when to LA to look for something, but wasn't sure what to do with himself so applied to be on the show.
    Now I think that this was actually quite disingenuous.

As we now know from before the latest show, Rupert is one of the four out of the thirteen 'ordinary' men who have had prior experience with TV production. The VT mentioned nothing about his prior experience.
    Here's a link with some more details about Rupert's previous experience.....
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/neilmidgley/2014/05/10/bear-grylls-is-he-misleading-tv-viewers-again/
    * One is Rupert Smith. Ten years ago, Smith was the series producer and director of a series called Escape to the Legion, also presented by Bear Grylls, for Channel 4. He also made a non-broadcast pilot of another Bear Grylls show for Channel 4, called Angel Falls. Smith is an experienced factual TV professional, most recently as a director on the US version of the BBC’s Top Gear.

* Another is Dan Etheridge. Etheridge is an experienced TV cameraman and cinematographer. He too has worked with Grylls before, on at least three episodes of another Bear Grylls series, Discovery Channel’s Man vs Wild.

* A third is sound recordist Kiff McManus, who was nominated for a Bafta craft award last year as part of the British Top Gear team.

* And the fourth embedded crew member is Matt Bennett, an experienced documentary producer who worked on the series Ross Kemp in Afghanistan for BSkyB in the UK.

It's interesting that out of these four, Rupert appears to have more experience working on shows with a similar nature. Working on two previous shows with Bear Grylls himself.
    Yet none of this was revealed at all in is little VT shown on the most recent episode of The Island.

It's also quite interesting because Rupert is featured so heavily in this series. Possibly only second in airtime to Ryan.
    Shouldn't it be more the case that the 'real' civilians are the ones featured more so that we get to see how they cope, as opposed to watching the professional who's done things like this before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with what you're saying.
    Last night especially I found it very hard to believe indeed that the men would be allowed to go out at night hunting caiman.
    Unless the caiman involved are dwarf caiman we're talking crocs that could be what, 4 or 5 feet long? In which case if caiman really are out there free what they were going out on would essentially be a suicide mission for at least one of the men.

Can you imagine the national News at Ten headlines announcing that criminal charges are to be pressed against the programme makers for allowing members of the public participating in their show to get killed by crocodiles?
    It just isn't going to happen. Not a chance.
    There are extremely strict rules and guidelines in place when it comes to members of the public being put at risk in the making of TV programmes. They aren't just broadcasting rules and guidelines either, there are legal ramifications if a production company puts members of the public in harm's way whilst making a TV show.
    There's good reason why the baby crocs on 'I'm a Celebrity...' have their jaws taped up.

The show isn't going to just let the men go off genuinely hunting caiman at night. It just isn't going to happen.
    This is a Bear Grylls production don't forget.;-):D

yes. an island has been handpicked that has no wildlife and no water supply so that the production company can have control over everything under safe conditions. I had the misfortune to spend 5 days on a rough island off the coast of Cambodia about well ...... many many years ago with only basic provisions and there was no wildlife there whatsoever. I am sure there is no wildlife on that island whatsoever apart from insects. There is no way that a snake could exist on such an island. it is laughable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes. an island has been handpicked that has no wildlife and no water supply so that the production company can have control over everything under safe conditions. I had the misfortune to spend 5 days on a rough island off the coast of Cambodia about well ...... many many years ago with only basic provisions and there was no wildlife there whatsoever. I am sure there is no wildlife on that island whatsoever apart from insects. There is no way that a snake could exist on such an island. it is laughable.

What I wonder about is how the production co keep the participants to a vow of silence. eg. what is to stop Ryan going straight to The Sun and telling them about the fakery. This applies to all shows such at IACGMOOH. And also to magicians who claim to hypnotise people on stage. how do they keep their mouths shut?
  • Options
    MarkyTheMonkeyMarkyTheMonkey Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    What I wonder about is how the production co keep the participants to a vow of silence.

Sign a legally binding contract?

Like all these shows 'The Island with Bear Grylls' main objective is to create good entertainment.

Entertainment first / reality second :)
  • Options
    Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i am loving it though and am trying to persuade my boyfriend to sign up for the next series!! :D

I'm not sure what this says about your relationship! :-D
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »

Guess not ;)
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Hey ho, it says in the voice over he's ensured there's enough food and water, the point is finding it and how they get along.
    That will do for me.

Rupert had face like thunder when the others were cracking funnies about not finding Caiman, which I found amusing.
    It's a bit of a shame the series isn't longer as we'd get a better feel for what's going on if it didn't focus so much on a small number of people.

As a cheery aside, for those who remember it, remember Bush Tucker Man/Les Hiddins.
    Even he went out with steaks, etc, he didn't rely on substance foods even though he had the skills and knowledge.
  • Options
    londonmanlondonman Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    There is a distinct polarisation between the two groups of men and I wonder if Channel 4 arranged this deliberately. On the one hand you have a group of bone-idle lazy under 30-somethings who like nothing better than to sunbathe while the other group - those 30+ are actually making things happen. Is this to try and reinforce the stereotype image that Yoof of today are bone-idle?

I would put money on anyone here bitching about Rupert are under 30.

Lastly when they were all starving, they missed the walking larder aka Ryan. I'd have had no concern in 'helping' him contribute as a food source. Irritates the hell out of me.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    londonman wrote: »
    There is a distinct polarisation between the two groups of men and I wonder if Channel 4 arranged this deliberately. On the one hand you have a group of bone-idle lazy under 30-somethings who like nothing better than to sunbathe while the other group - those 30+ are actually making things happen. Is this to try and reinforce the stereotype image that Yoof of today are bone-idle?

I would put money on anyone here bitching about Rupert are under 30.

Lastly when they were all starving, they missed the walking larder aka Ryan. I'd have had no concern in 'helping' him contribute as a food source. Irritates the hell out of me.

He irritates me too! And as much as Rupert may not be a "nice guy", I know which one I'd rather be stranded with! Rupert does (apparently) wind Ryan up, but I know from experience that sometimes it's just irresistible when faced with someone like him. It's just to easy to f*&%k with their heads. Ryan's simply a big baby - a mummy's boy who likes his own way. Sadly, he's not uncommon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey ho, it says in the voice over he's ensured there's enough food and water, the point is finding it and how they get along.
    That will do for me.

Rupert had face like thunder when the others were cracking funnies about not finding Caiman, which I found amusing.
    It's a bit of a shame the series isn't longer as we'd get a better feel for what's going on if it didn't focus so much on a small number of people.

As a cheery aside, for those who remember it, remember Bush Tucker Man/Les Hiddins.
    Even he went out with steaks, etc, he didn't rely on substance foods even though he had the skills and knowledge.

"Hey ho, it says in the voice over he's ensured there's enough food and water, the point is finding it and how they get along.
    That will do for me"

yes. but the implication is that the food and water resource exists IF they can find it. at the moment their water source is given to them by the production company imho in dyed brown safe water ( I simply do not believe they are boiling unsafe water for 13 men) and the food that they have eaten has also been given to them including the stingray and the caiman.