BBC Still Putting Saville On The Air

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Virtually everything on DS is opinion - not fact:D
    In your opinion .... :D (sorry, someone was bound to say that, so I thought that I'd get in first ;))
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always found it a real shame that we don't see repeats of the first series of The Thick Of It because of what subsequently happened to Langham.
  • Options
    DazinhoDazinho Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always found it a real shame that we don't see repeats of the first series of The Thick Of It because of what subsequently happened to Langham.

I am not sure if this is of any use, but the first series in on NetFlix :)
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    I just had a look at the article, and wondered why the D**** M*** felt it was appropriate to include a large photograph of said persona non grata?

Exactly. The Daily Mail complaining about the BBC mentioning Savile is a bit rich when they have run hundreds of huge pictures of him every day for weeks. Even many of the comments have pointed this out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    I'm glad radio 2 had the balls to air the show,not like the spineless BBC Four who dropped not only the savile episodes but the DLT TOTPs last week and are considering scraping the entire run due to all this savile rubbish

That would be a really bad move if they do stop showing TOTP on BBC Four. A few months back, they showed a Gary Glitter performance. Yes, he turned out to be a filthy paedo but, like it or not, he was a major player in the early 70s popscene and I think for that reason alone that they were right to air it.

Anyway, surely there are more than enough TOTP episodes without DLT or Savile presenting to keep on going with the current repeats?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    Quite, it's a dodgy old world when you start airbrushing history.

Agreed, it's ridiculous to bar all references to a dead abuser!

Hitler's mentioned all the time on radio and TV and always has been!
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    argyess wrote: »
    That would be a really bad move if they do stop showing TOTP on BBC Four. A few months back, they showed a Gary Glitter performance. Yes, he turned out to be a filthy paedo but, like it or not, he was a major player in the early 70s popscene and I think for that reason alone that they were right to air it.

Anyway, surely there are more than enough TOTP episodes without DLT or Savile presenting to keep on going with the current repeats?

Is there a reason they shouldn't show any with DLT?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Is there a reason they shouldn't show any with DLT?

Because he was arrested for being accused of the heinous crime of jiggling a grown woman's boobs 35 years ago. Shocking stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like it or not he is a significant figure in radio history. Should we just airbrush him out of history?

Or should we try and get someone else sacked?

There are a lot of significant figures in history some good ,some bad.But most people would rather forget the bad ones
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This wasn't a glowing tribute to the man, but a documentary on a subject he was a significant part of. Why do people complain about this stuff?
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    franchise wrote: »
    This wasn't a glowing tribute to the man, but a documentary on a subject he was a significant part of. Why do people complain about this stuff?

Because the DM, effectively, encourage them to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Because he was arrested for being accused of the heinous crime of jiggling a grown woman's boobs 35 years ago. Shocking stuff, I'm sure you'll agree.

I would agree. If I was mental!
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW! A whole minute or so of airtime!

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boob jiggling to be an olympic event together with towel flicking ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be one thing to have fresh interviews with him on chat shows (ignoring practical problems), let him protest his innocence, make new music shows etc, its quite another to pull an entire show or series just because he features in it briefly. Episodes of TOTP with him in are being pulled, every aging rocker who was looking forward to a small repeat fee is going to be disappointed because JS compered the show. Slightly different I know because it's alleged things went on there, unlike the documentary, but where do you draw the line? Cancel all NHS documentaries that mention Stoke Mandeville in case in brings back bad memories? Shelve all Olympics footage because it had Mandeville the Mascot?

As ftv points out, Hitler still gets plenty of airtime.

For me the criteria are does JS get royalty payments? (No, he is dead. His estate is not guilty). Is he snidily joking about being a sleazeball, unless it's to expose his duplicity ("What do you do in your caravan?" "Anyone I can"). Is he somehow addressing allegations, rubbishing victims? Can he be seen with a vitim or doing something inappropriate? Is he central to the show?

Thinking about it the last few are the most important.
  • Options
    Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It amazes me how far people will go in defending the BBC. I wonder what it WOULD take for some on here to admit the BBC makes mistakes just like every other broadcaster?

Some of the replies in this thread are staggering - accusing me of wanting to airbrush history when I specifically said I didn't believe in doing that in my original post? What I do want is a bit of sensitivity - totally different, and only on this forum would anyone be able to try and make my totally harmless and well-worded original post look bad. Some here are absolutely unbelievable.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest that if you're that sensitive then this forum probably isn't the best place for you
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what should they do now?

Perhaps they could have a warning at the beginning of TV shows.
    *** WARNING - This TV show contains images of Jimmy Savile ***

At least you would have the chance to turn over to watch something less harrowing.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Bruce Forsyth tells The Sun he always thought Savile was creepy and a ''wrong 'un''. That settles it then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It amazes me how far people will go in defending the BBC. I wonder what it WOULD take for some on here to admit the BBC makes mistakes just like every other broadcaster?

Some of the replies in this thread are staggering - accusing me of wanting to airbrush history when I specifically said I didn't believe in doing that in my original post? What I do want is a bit of sensitivity - totally different, and only on this forum would anyone be able to try and make my totally harmless and well-worded original post look bad. Some here are absolutely unbelievable.
    "I don't want to airbrush history, but they should have airbrushed history"

Like it or not Savile was an important figure in radio and TV, to ignore him would have been more wrong than mentioning him. Eventually he will start appearing on TV and radio anyway, so why won't people just get over it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becasue they are very hypocrtical. The same reason they show many photos of woman bursting out of bikinis in the jungle show.
    And the same reason the DMGT broadcasts pictures objectfying two women and one man on Text on 3 page 390 = Text on 4 page 682 pre-watershed. £££££ and everyday sexism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest that if you're that sensitive then this forum probably isn't the best place for you

Clearly. It looks like absolutely zero criticism of the BBC is allowed - although threads demanding resignations of ITV people and bashing other channels in general is apparently perfectly acceptable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're being a bit sensitive.

Of course people can criticise the BBC. But this example which involves about a minute of interview with JS in an old, two hour long radio documentary seems a bit petty, that's all.

Its not actually as though they had decided to show repeats of Jim'll Fix It. If they had, I'm sure people would be agreeing with you.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly. It looks like absolutely zero criticism of the BBC is allowed - although threads demanding resignations of ITV people and bashing other channels in general is apparently perfectly acceptable.

Most other channels don't do the sort of programme we're talking about here. This was a very carefully crafted history of a major strand of broadcasting which must have taken months of work, and it couldn't really have told the story it was telling without some mention of Savile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    this example which involves about a minute of interview with JS in an old, two hour long radio documentary seems a bit petty, that's all.

Fair enough - my issue is that it's coming so soon after all the uproar. I just think they should have held it back for a while, out of respect for the victims. But I accept I hold a minority opinion.