Options

what songs scared you when you were younger?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cure 'Lullaby' with the Spider-Man video. Also goth bands such as The Sisters of Mercy.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    When I was young there was a church in town with musical bells and you'd here hymns echoing throughout the town now and then.
    One night I woke thinking they were playing "sweet harmony" by the beloved and that gave me the fooking creeps. I must have been dreaming.

"The days of pearly Spencer" weirded me out a lot too.

There were others around the early to mid nineties I think I've forgotten thank god but sombre songs would make me think about the wars in yugoslavia/Bosnia and the Rwandan genocide.

Now for the hilarious ;
    Informer - Snow.
    Seriously... After I'd finished laughing at the "licky bum bum down" part my sister told me all about how the guy was accused of a stabbing and after that the song freaked me out a lot.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson. Creepy...and I wasn't that young. :o
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Me too.

The video for "Wild Boys" by Duran Duran used to scare me a bit, and a Peter Gabriel song from about the same time that had Spitting Image puppets in the video. The song sounded a bit like We're In The Army Now by Status Quo, but I might be remembering that completely wrong.

And me. I think it's because she sounds like she can't breathe when doing the O, O , O bits and the robotic voice. Still can't listen to it now.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,310
    Forum Member
    The theme to Halloween, for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    "Theres a ghost in my house"
    Scared me silly when i first heard it in 1974

Me too. I thought it was actually about a ghost and was convinced our house was haunted.
  • Options
    Amy76Amy76 Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an old song called Goodnight Irene that always gives me the creeps. When I was about 5, a house in our street went on fire one night, and that song must have been playing and I remember being in my bed that night terrified that our house was going to go on fire - that Goodnight Irene song somehow reminds me of that feeling.

I used to be frightened of the theme song to Emmerdale - I would make my mother turn the station when it came on.

The song by Abba - I had A Dream - always gave me a creepy feeling, as did an old song called The Shadow of Your Smile.

I also never liked Bright Eyes from Watership Down - I've never seen the film but the song was just a creepy vibe.

I saw someone upthread mention Under Your Thumb by Godley and Creme - that was a horrible song - it had a sinister feel about it.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firestarter by the Prodigy - made worse by the fact that, when it was No1, the video was shown on Top of the Pops.

It wasn't a nice thing to see when you're 5 (as I was).
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    The intro to One Vision by Queen is another that put fear into me when I was younger. The voices were slowed down to the point that even playing in high speed dubbing, the voices were still fairly low pitched.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Mallaha wrote: »

The video for "Wild Boys" by Duran Duran used to scare me a bit, and a Peter Gabriel song from about the same time that had Spitting Image puppets in the video. The song sounded a bit like We're In The Army Now by Status Quo, but I might be remembering that completely wrong.

I was scared by the Wild Boys video as well!

Also, I was a very religious kid when I was small, and any song about the Devil or Hell used to frighten me, such as "Spanish Train" by Chris de Burgh, "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" by Charlie Daniels Band, and "Fire" by the Crazy World of Arthur Brown (even though I now think "Fire's" quite a good piece of rock craziness :cool: ).
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On side 2 of Tubular Bells there's some demonic growling that used to scare the sh*t out of me.
    The opening titles and theme tune of "World At War" ( *shudder* )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eqONgYHYo88
  • Options
    MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Steven by Alice Cooper is one that I still have issues with. Terrified me when I was a kid, not helped by the fact my dad used to play it, intentionally I may add, right before I went to bed. 😱