Options

The refugee crisis currently facing europe

Comments

• Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edwinbot wrote: »
    What about these ones who refuse to get off the train in Hungary. The authorities there have transport ready to a local camp so they can be registered and given temp accomadation etc but they refuse because they want "asylum" but only if it's in Germany...

Do they want help or not?

They call it "asylum shopping" but Frau Merkel wants to introduce "asylum quotas", it may well all end in tears.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edwinbot wrote: »
    What about these ones who refuse to get off the train in Hungary. The authorities there have transport ready to a local camp so they can be registered and given temp accomadation etc but they refuse because they want "asylum" but only if it's in Germany...

Do they want help or not?

Perhaps it's their fear that if they are registered and processed in Hungary then that is where they will stay. But unfortunately for the refugees, and as desperate as they are, following the law or the rules of appying asylum in the EU has to be followed and adhered to regardless. Even the common German man and woman are sticklers of rule-making. It is part and parcel of being part of EU -well, at least it does when it suits the prevailing political agenda as Greece has come to realise to their economic cost. Orban is only doing what he and his nation signed up for it when they joined the EU, however unpalatable it may be to some.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    If there's not one then why do we need to import food? and by that I don't mean exotic fruit.

We are a rich country which can afford to import food. It's something to do with the globalised marketplace . Maybe the last 30 years has passed you by ? Might be worth doing a bit of research .
    A heads for you - Just because a country imports a certain product it doesn't mean there is a shortage just means its cheaper to produce abroad .
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for anyone supporting allowing them in, here's a video shot by Hungarian police showing the "refugees" being offered water....

http://youtu.be/7L3eSbpETf8

makes me question their "plight" if they refuse to accept aid being offered
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthGore wrote: »
    for anyone supporting allowing them in, here's a video shot by Hungarian police showing the "refugees" being offered water....

Why isn't this being shown on UK TV?
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Police have distributed water, but many migrants have refused it or thrown it back, fearing it could contain sedatives."

This is already stated on many news outlets.
  • Options
    DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morlock wrote: »
    "Police have distributed water, but many migrants have refused it or thrown it back, fearing it could contain sedatives."

seriously?? is this the same group of "refugees" who don't want to go to a migrant camp because they think it's a WW2 extermination camp?
  • Options
    MorlockMorlock Posts: 3,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seriously?? is this the same group of "refugees" who don't want to go to a migrant camp because they think it's a WW2 extermination camp?

It's amazing what time spent living in a war torn country, not knowing if you'll be alive in 24 hours, does to one's perception of reality.
  • Options
    The BrainThe Brain Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why isn't this being shown on UK TV?

Hardly. I saw it on the BBC news at 1.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I've an idea. If we 'have' to have them coming here, and politicians arent going to stop the flow in any way, why dont we send proper ships to the ports in libya to pick them up. Then at least it will stop them paying people smugglers.
    Then we could send the ships wherever we liked to re home them, not where they 'demand' to go.
    That would save a lot of lives and sort a few problems out i think, just an idea.
    Dont want them to come to just europe though.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Perhaps it's their fear that if they are registered and processed in Hungary then that is where they will stay. But unfortunately for the refugees, and as desperate as they are, following the law or the rules of appying asylum in the EU has to be followed and adhered to regardless. Even the common German man and woman are sticklers of rule-making. It is part and parcel of being part of EU -well, at least it does when it suits the prevailing political agenda as Greece has come to realise to their economic cost. Orban is only doing what he and his nation signed up for it when they joined the EU, however unpalatable it may be to some.
    Why would they "fear" that? They'll be safe from any conflict and will probably have a much better standard of living than they had back home. If they don't want to stay in Hungary then by definition that makes them economic migrants, not refugees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would they "fear" that? They'll be safe from any conflict and will probably have a much better standard of living than they had back home. If they don't want to stay in Hungary then by definition that makes them economic migrants, not refugees.

Hungary has very few non whites and many right wing supporters. Dont think they would be made welcome. Also the government is against them. Already they are getting heckled by young hungarian skinheads at the train station
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Hungary has very few non whites and many right wing supporters. Dont think they would be made welcome. Also the government is against them. Already they are getting heckled by young hungarian skinheads at the train station

Sadly their own behaviour to going to trigger a response like this. If this was happening in UK EDL would be out in force. Doesn't make it right but it is predictable.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    We're certainly seeing quite a lot of hostility and aggression at the train station - but it's coming from the 'migrants'.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get what your point is, so given you seem to be involved in asylum cases in some way, perhaps you could make it clearer.

So this woman was living and working in Turkey and described as having a 'comfortable life'. She travelled to Sweden illegally.
    She claims asylum there.

On what grounds do you think she can claim given it's on record that she was living comfortably? There's no suggestion she was being persecuted or threatened in Turkey, so she would appear to have no claim.

From my POV, the financial side is whether asylum seekers can support themselves. If they can, they should. Then some concern for asylum seekers who may have more genuine claims, but don't have the money to bribe their way out of refugee camps, buy travel documents or pay people smugglers.

She can claim any grounds she wants, even to say she doesnt like the weather.

BUT an asylum claim is ONLY judged on whether someone is fleeing persecution or for humanitarian issues. I already made it clear that she would appear to have no claim, I am simply telling you what asylum claims have to be based on. People usually make a claim based on persecution but it has to be proved, it is investigated. Their income or social/economic standing is not part of that decision.

Now, you say that an asylum seeker should support themselves if they can. Of course,,, but that still does not answer why it seems so important when people discuss asylum and definitions of 'genuine refugees' (remember these are people who are fleeing persecution) whether they have money or not. I see it written all the time, 'they cant be refugees, look at their clothes, look at their phones, they all look clean and tidy'.

A person has to claim asylum in order to be considered, unless they are happy to remain in a country illegally but they dont have to take the financial support they are offered. If they are allowed to work, most do, if they are not and they are already well off they may be self supporting but most wouldnt have the money to provide food and accommodation indefinitely, trainers, a leather jacket and a smart phone wont keep a roof over your head.

I dont know whether you are 'well off' or not, whether you own your own house or have savings or whatever. If we had regime change over night, if tanks were rolling down your leafy avenue (or whatever) and you decided to go to America/Canada/Australia/New Zealand or whatever (Im thinking English speaking countries here),,, would you suddenly lose all your clothes, phone, car, haircut, glasses?

No, of course you wouldnt, you would gather as much cash as you could, max out the credit card and go to where you thought you had some success.
  • Options
    shaun_davidsshaun_davids Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So hundreds of people can invade Europe, walk around demand and nothing can be done.

So basically anyone can go to any country and without passports and just go where they want.

Imagine if these people had invaded America and no one knew who they were.

All this pandering that they are refugees, no one knows who they are and basically Europe has been invaded and Europe can do nothing to stop it.

Who would have thought it would have been so easy just to invade Europe now anyone can do it and no one can stop them.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Morlock wrote: »

And yet they're happy for the same food and water to be given to the women and children...they can't be that worried.
    From what I've seen they just want their own way and are playing up. If I tried to help someone and had it thrown back in my face I'd be annoyed.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    And yet they're happy for the same food and water to be given to the women and children...they can't be that worried.
    From what I've seen they just want their own way and are playing up. If I tried to help someone and had it thrown back in my face I'd be annoyed.

I noticed on the BBC news at 6 they just said they had refused food and water. They didn't show them kicking and hurling bottles of food and drink onto the railway lines.

As usual some of them cry "we are not animals." Really:confused::confused:

If they are "desperate" as all their supporters claim then they should gratefully accept what is provided for them and also let the police and rail staff get on with their jobs.

I am getting sick and tired of all this demanding, shouting, kicking and screaming. People would think more of them if they behaved in an appropriate manner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They definitely should be processed, who knows who are hidden amongst the refugees. Its very dangerous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So hundreds of people can invade Europe, walk around demand and nothing can be done.

So basically anyone can go to any country and without passports and just go where they want.

All this pandering that they are refugees, no one knows who they are and basically Europe has been invaded and Europe can do nothing to stop it.

Who would have thought it would have been so easy just to invade Europe now anyone can do it and no one can stop them.

What if they have diseases we don't know about, imagine if Ebola was still as serious would we allow people like this to roam around
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member

Yes. Those in the former USSR must be really pissed off all they needed to do was create millions of "refugees" in mother Russia and they could just have walked in no expensive weapons needed.

The EU politicians are a joke they should have immediately started to send the first ones back and make it known that all would be sent back as soon as they arrived.

The net result of this balls up by the dwarf Merkel and others is a bloody shambles which will have nasty consequences somewhere for sure. Just wait until we discover
    that some of these "poor" people are actually IS killers and have been helped to get in.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not allowed to say invasion, it's racist ^_^.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Austria says anyone who gets there can go straight through the country to Germany unchallenged.

Seriously a country just saying anyone can come in unverified it beggers belief.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Austria says anyone who gets there can go straight through the country to Germany unchallenged.

Seriously a country just saying anyone can come in unverified it beggers belief.

Not that daft if they can keep 'em moving on and out and leave the Germans with the mess.

As you say makes a complete mockery of border controls and checking whether you are letting murderers, rapists, child molesters or terrorists in, not to mention common or garden crooks.

It will all end in tears.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A small little island in western europe and the hysteria over here is now in complete overdrive. We've commited today to take in thousands more.

The whole of the Irish media are all singing off the same hymn sheet.