Options

The refugee crisis currently facing europe

Comments

• Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,622
    Forum Member
    I think the west must take the blame.

instead of picking up all the boat people for rescue, they should take them straight back to the nearest country.

and they should execute lorry drivers involved in the smuggling.

too soft. soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime. liberal hand-wringers have a lot to answer for.

Execute lorry drivers? You sound like IS material.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maltshovel wrote: »
    Someone who is saying what I am thinking!!!! Great post.

I am becoming really irritated by these migrants in Budapest screaming that they want to go to Germany. You are in Hungary! A democratic and safe EU state! Now that you are in Hungary you have escaped (past tense!) from the horrors of the Syrian civil war!

I'm getting irritated too and I don't think we are at all alone in this. Hungary are right, Germany has created this problem and now they are looking to everyone else to help out. You can bet your bottom dollar that Germany will cherry pick all the best asylum seeks i.e. doctors, engineers etc and leave the less capable for the other countries to take.

Don't get me wrong I do feel sorry for the families but there does not seem to be a lot of them. The majority are all young men who are not fleeing anything.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    We throw away tons of food every day. To suggest there is a food shortage in the UK is lunacy. Food banks are for those who cannot afford food and not because of any shortages.

We throw away tons of food mainly because of rules/laws that stop it being sold because it is considered not fit for consumption. Laws that ensure there are not massive outbreaks of food poisoning, salmonella ect.

Laws that tell supermarkets if their freezers breakdown, all food has to be thrown, that kind of thing, sell by dates.
    And if you remember, there are moves to change some laws to cut down on waste.

Are you suggesting that refugees eat the food we consider not safe for the rest of us?
    Go through the bins?
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,622
    Forum Member
    We throw away tons of food mainly because of rules/laws that stop it being sold because it is considered not fit for consumption. Laws that ensure there are not massive outbreaks of food poisoning, salmonella ect.

Laws that tell supermarkets if their freezers breakdown, all food has to be thrown, that kind of thing, sell by dates.
    And if you remember, there are moves to change some laws to cut down on waste.

Are you suggesting that refugees eat the food we consider not safe for the rest of us?
    Go through the bins?

You said there was a food shortage in the UK which is nonsense so maybe if you can correct your error it would be a start
  • Options
    maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I'm getting irritated too and I don't think we are at all alone in this. Hungary are right, Germany has created this problem and now they are looking to everyone else to help out. You can bet your bottom dollar that Germany will cherry pick all the best asylum seeks i.e. doctors, engineers etc and leave the less capable for the other countries to take.

Don't get me wrong I do feel sorry for the families but there does not seem to be a lot of them. The majority are all young men who are not fleeing anything.

Agreed that Germany has created this problem - they should rescind this policy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK households are responsible for around 4.2 million tonnes of avoidable food waste every year…

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/british-families-waste-60-tonnes-of-valuable-nutrients-a-year-research-reveals-10324812.html

Food shortage my arse.
  • Options
    maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Give Lebanon and Jordan enough money to ensure they are not out of pocket for looking after these migrants.

Tell all migrants that asylum applications can only be processed within the migrant camps in Lebanon and Jordan

Turn away all migrants at the borders to the EU and tell them to go to the migrant camps in Lebanon and Jordan
  • Options
    Sarah777Sarah777 Posts: 5,060
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before. I have not read the whole thread.
    Does anybody know how many Syrian refugees USA has taken so far?.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Don't you find it odd that the normal route for ISIL supporters still seems to be via Turkey?.

Not really - Constantinople or Istanbul has been the gateway between Europe and Asia since the days of the Eastern Roman Empire.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Thats right, in her case she is presumably claiming persecution, so again I ask what her economic status would have to do with the decision on a claim. The decision is based on whether someone flees persecution THAT and only that is the basis of a claim for asylum.

I'm saying..

For two years in Istanbul, she enjoyed a comfortable life.

If true, does not sound like someone who's being persecuted. But from the article, it looks like she may have been coached to falsely claim she was. As she was named in the article and assuming that's the name she's given to the Swedes, it would be interesting to see if they grant here asylum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really - Constantinople or Istanbul has been the gateway between Europe and Asia since the days of the Eastern Roman Empire.

Yup, but on the land border, it's also where they've been having trouble with the PKK and a slight conflict in Syria. So again somewhere you'd expect to be secure, but clearly isn't.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,931
    Forum Member
    I think the USA should be approached on the subject and told to help pay for this crisis.

It is, after all, their lunatic Zionist interventions in the middle east that causes a lot of this uproar and suffering.

From a political point of view it is fascinating having Cameron and the Tories trying to grapple with this. On the one hand seeing them being forced to face up to the morals of the situation (selflessness and decency being largely absent from their DNA), and on the other hand seeing them excrete brickwork at the spectre of UKIP conflating the refugee crisis with those dirty stinking 'economic migrants'!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought exactly as you did. Of course the bleedin' hearts won't question anything he said.

If my spouse and children were in the water I'd be straight in after them.

Is that a joke? It was pitch black (being at night) and the boat had capsized with chaos everywhere, he lost the grip of his wife and children, how on earth do you think you would fare in that situation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So food banks are a figment of peoples' imagination?

And we do not have plenty of food, we import food by the ton because we cannot provide enough for the population already living here.

Food banks are nothing to do with food shortages, we dont have food shortages.

We could provide more food if farmers didnt fancy covering their acres with masses of solar panels.
  • Options
    Damon_PlemburyDamon_Plembury Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely. Lunacy is the word for some of the comments I've seen on this forum today. Some people appear to live in an alternate reality where human life is utterly dispensable and no one has an ounce of compassion. I suppose it's just how they think, so they believe everyone else thinks that way too?

Were not being evil, were being practical. Why can't people grasp this. We have enough of our own problems without inviting more
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm saying..

For two years in Istanbul, she enjoyed a comfortable life.

If true, does not sound like someone who's being persecuted. But from the article, it looks like she may have been coached to falsely claim she was. As she was named in the article and assuming that's the name she's given to the Swedes, it would be interesting to see if they grant here asylum.

I didnt say she had been persecuted, read what I have already said. I said that asylum claims are based ONLY on persecution or humanitarian factors, not poverty and therefore that is what her claim must be.

Thats what ALL asylum claims are based on and why i said it doesnt matter what any of us think about whether someone is persecuted or not. You cant seek asylum because you dont like the weather or something.

So the powers that be, UK or Sweden or France or wherever then look at whether someone is fleeing harm or risk to their life and decide on a claim that way.

Therefore, again, I ask what relevance is her economic situation (or any of the asylum seeker's financial situations?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Therefore, again, I ask what relevance is her economic situation (or any of the asylum seeker's financial situations?)

I don't get what your point is, so given you seem to be involved in asylum cases in some way, perhaps you could make it clearer.

So this woman was living and working in Turkey and described as having a 'comfortable life'. She travelled to Sweden illegally.
    She claims asylum there.

On what grounds do you think she can claim given it's on record that she was living comfortably? There's no suggestion she was being persecuted or threatened in Turkey, so she would appear to have no claim.

From my POV, the financial side is whether asylum seekers can support themselves. If they can, they should. Then some concern for asylum seekers who may have more genuine claims, but don't have the money to bribe their way out of refugee camps, buy travel documents or pay people smugglers.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you know this but if so why are they for example boarding trains to get to their preferred EU member state.
    I can't speak for all the refugees, because there's a different story for each and every one. I'm just generalising. Settling in a country doesn't necessarily mean living their permanently. And does it matter what means of travel it takes for them to get into their desired country?

My partner speaks to plenty at the refugee centre, who say they'd be more than happy to return once the fighting was over and everything stabilised.
  • Options
    alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought exactly as you did. Of course the bleedin' hearts won't question anything he said.

If my spouse and children were in the water I'd be straight in after them.

I can only presume you are trolling by making outrageous stuff up for a laugh as i cant believe any normal human being would come to this conclusion.

How many thousand of different convoluted ways have you come up with to say "I dont give a toss". Stuff like this is almost sociopathic, sort of why should i feel remorse for anyone so stupid and uncaring about their own family. What a sick level to sink to when you happily state they let their own family drown as they couldnt be bothered to save them.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    You said there was a food shortage in the UK which is nonsense so maybe if you can correct your error it would be a start
    If there's not one then why do we need to import food? and by that I don't mean exotic fruit.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Food banks are nothing to do with food shortages, we dont have food shortages.

We could provide more food if farmers didnt fancy covering their acres with masses of solar panels.
    And how many acres would that be which would make a difference?

Solar panels lol.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Year 2040: A Social Historian is looking at letters written to The Times in the 1930s. He is rubbing his jaw which has fallen to the floor several times......

Sir! How do we do know that all these Jews getting onto a train are not simply looking for a Dentist. I know for a fact that many of them have attention to their teeth - especially the gold ones - almost as soon as they arrive at their destination.

Year 2115: A Social Historian is looking at Social Media from 2015. And today he is looking at a Politics forum. He is rubbing his jaw which has fallen to the floor several times......

That father was not fleeing from Hell! He was looking for a Dentist! I can prove it with a youtube clip.

You know.....that Father.....he could have held on to both the children and his wife. I tested it using a Drowning Simulator I found on piratebay. Yeah. I proved that fact beyond all doubt moments before I fell off the sofa.

Huh? He has a phone which can an access the Internet? WTF! How dare he talk about being in a death trap boat while he is actually in the boat!

Wow. This is quite a find from 100 years ago.. Sharing this will help future generations and will make sure that we don't forget.

No......wait a minute.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I think the USA should be approached on the subject and told to help pay for this crisis.

It is, after all, their lunatic Zionist interventions in the middle east that causes a lot of this uproar and suffering.

From a political point of view it is fascinating having Cameron and the Tories trying to grapple with this. On the one hand seeing them being forced to face up to the morals of the situation (selflessness and decency being largely absent from their DNA), and on the other hand seeing them excrete brickwork at the spectre of UKIP conflating the refugee crisis with those dirty stinking 'economic migrants'!

Zionist. Why does anti semitism crop up here. What on earth has Israel to do with this?
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Its an arab problem. Syria isnt in europe. Or Iraq, Afghanistan. They should have sorted ISIS out before it got out of hand.
    Feel sorry for these people but whats the point of taking in a token amount of refugees? What about the rest of them !
  • Options
    edwinbotedwinbot Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    What about these ones who refuse to get off the train in Hungary. The authorities there have transport ready to a local camp so they can be registered and given temp accomadation etc but they refuse because they want "asylum" but only if it's in Germany...

Do they want help or not?