Options

Nick Grimshaw - His Rapid Rise Why?

Comments

• Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick's lovely. For all the talk of brown-nosing, the reason he's got so many celebrity friends, is actually because he's just really easy to get on with.

He does have a good knowledge of music, he did the 10 till midnight slot for a while, where he was playing a fair amount of decent new music.

Being honest though, he probably has never had a huge amount of influence over the music he plays..

I don't particularly think he's had a rapid rise, he's been around for a fair while now..l remember him from T4.
    Hi, Nick.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRM wrote: »
    Hi, Nick.

Nope, name's Jason, I don't exactly hide anything about myself.

Check my posting history..
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Maybe the rapid shift to having to brown nose and big up the likes of Rita Ora is what has put people off. He does know his stuff, he can do better but he's putting on an act to capture Radio 1's new target demographic of vapid people.

Unfortunately, the BBC Trust has had to force the radio stations to ensure they are targeting specific demographics.

Nick is trying his best, but is having to aim at a demographic who do not really listen to radio in the traditional way.

Sure he's shed a load of listeners but I imagine the podcast does okay..

In the company I work for, there were some changes to the way my particular department was run, a new role was created, and some people chose to carry on the same way they had been for the past 6 years, because they knew better.

It surprised no-one when they were moved on.

I imagine it's the same for DJs like Nick, Scott, Annie Mac and so on, they target whoever Radio 1 aims them at.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if there is a "director's chair" sort of thing in the music/TV industry?
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His breakfast show is appalling and forced me to switch to radio 2 for my morning commute.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since he's on XFactor it either means he's Cowell's protégé or somebody Cowell listens to recommended him. I think Cowell is enough savvy to recognise a true and manufactured popularity, the latter is what they do on XFactor after all.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    His breakfast show is appalling and forced me to switch to radio 2 for my morning commute.

After 25 years loyal listening to the breakfast show on my commute, he's finally pushed me over to Radio 4. Even Chris Evans and Sara Cox never managed that!:(
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    He does one across as kinda thick! (Grimmy not your little bruv!:D)

Isn't Nick Gerimshaw from the Oldham area ? He might not be thick, just sounds like it.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know understand the dislike for him. He always comes across as a very chilled, personable man to me.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I know understand the dislike for him. He always comes across as a very chilled, personable man to me.

Should say don't understand
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Quite a lot, seeing as how he's a pretty popular Radio 1 DJ.

Or was before X Factor, I dunno. I can't stand the bloke.

I think he's the worst judge on the panel this year.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hes a vapid fame ****.

He seems utterly transfixed & hypnotised by celebrity & being surrounded by famous people, who he relentlessly brown noses.

He seems absolutely desperate to appear cool.

He's a cringy social climber.

His radio show is Dull, dull, DULL.

He's bitchy about "ageing" celebs yet is 31, old enough to be the Dad of some of the demographic R1 are trying to court.

He stuffs it with his same set of friends who he RELENTLESSLY bangs on about ad nauseum. (Rita Ora, ASAPRocky, 1d etc)

He is neither funny, nor charming, or clever on his radio show. he's boring to be honest.
    It's all about his dog, going to the gym, the latest celeb he brown nosed, then hyping some lame ass song to death (he has very different musical tastes to me cos a lot of stuff I rate he doesn't and vica versa)

Haha wow this is quite the destruction! :o:D
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he seems quite a nice guy but he just has no charisma on anything I've seen him on. He just sits there with his mouth open half smiling.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha wow this is quite the destruction! :o:D

What can I say?? I'm a BITCH!!!:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, the BBC Trust has had to force the radio stations to ensure they are targeting specific demographics.

Nick is trying his best, but is having to aim at a demographic who do not really listen to radio in the traditional way.

Sure he's shed a load of listeners but I imagine the podcast does okay..

In the company I work for, there were some changes to the way my particular department was run, a new role was created, and some people chose to carry on the same way they had been for the past 6 years, because they knew better.

It surprised no-one when they were moved on.

I imagine it's the same for DJs like Nick, Scott, Annie Mac and so on, they target whoever Radio 1 aims them at.

Actually his Podcast HASNT done that well & R1 were spending time promoting it in recent months for that very same reason
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't Nick Gerimshaw from the Oldham area ? He might not be thick, just sounds like it.

Nothing to do with the accent, he just comes across as quite thick on his show.

I'm not sure if this is cos he's genuinely thick, or whether he's assuming the persona of an unworldly teenager to fit in with his intended demographic (yes-I have seriously considered that as an option) if that was right that makes him a cynical&patronising b*****d too!!>:(
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with the accent, he just comes across as quite thick on his show.

I'm not sure if this is cos he's genuinely thick, or whether he's assuming the persona of an unworldly teenager to fit in with his intended demographic (yes-I have seriously considered that as an option) if that was right that makes him a cynical&patronising b*****d too!!>:(

There was a video posted on the x factor forum, an interview with Henry Carvill, and it was embarrassing. He came across as an absolute idiot, and a bitchy, childish one at that.
  • Options
    JonNgogJonNgog Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Quite a lot, seeing as how he's a pretty popular Radio 1 DJ.

Or was before X Factor, I dunno. I can't stand the bloke.

Depends on how you define 'popular'. He certainly isn't with listeners.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no denying he's well connected. He's godfather to a couple of celebs kids, has lived with Pixie Geldof, Caroline Flack and Henry Holland and obviously picks up some pretty famous friends along the way (Kate Moss who I'm guessing introduced him to Sir Phillip Green which is why Grimmy has a Topman collaboration coming).

Speaking as a 30 year old female fan (big fan) of Chris Moyles, I actually really like Grimmy. I enjoy his show in parts and he's the reason I've been excited about X Factor this year.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vacuous.
  • Options
    lulululululu Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    There's no denying he's well connected. He's godfather to a couple of celebs kids, has lived with Pixie Geldof, Caroline Flack and Henry Holland and obviously picks up some pretty famous friends along the way (Kate Moss who I'm guessing introduced him to Sir Phillip Green which is why Grimmy has a Topman collaboration coming).

Speaking as a 30 year old female fan (big fan) of Chris Moyles, I actually really like Grimmy. I enjoy his show in parts and he's the reason I've been excited about X Factor this year.

My thoughts exactly
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got nice eyes.

I thought he was very attractive way back (see below) when he was more of an indie character, pre R1.

http://images.radiotimes.com/namedimage/Nick_Grimshaw_to_replace_Chris_Moyles_as_Radio_1_breakfast_show_host.jpg?quality=85&mode=crop&width=620&height=374&404=tv&url=/uploads/images/original/14705.jpg

http://radiotoday.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/nickgrimshaw.jpg

Maybe it's the hairdo, but I don't really like the swept back quiff on him these days. Makes him look old before this time imo but it's become his trademark. I thought facially he looked better with some fringe.

The guy knows his onions about music. That's not in doubt.
  • Options
    Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he has "something" on someone high up in the BBC. Would have to be big though as not much shocks anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cowell has picked him cos according to showbiz orthodoxy, he's massive with "yoof" (apparently) :confused:
    Only slumping ratings aren't exactly delivering the goods
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here I am really tempted to tweet him boddism post :P