Options

Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about?

The would both beat their tomato can fathers out of the ring (even in their primes).

Belly flops can be deadly! :D

:D:D:D:D
    PMSL.

To be honest, Id rather watch SRL v Marvellous 2!:D

They maybe in their 60s now, but they both look to be in better shape than their sons!:o
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D:D
    PMSL.

To be honest, Id rather watch SRL v Marvellous 2!:D

They maybe in their 60s now, but they both look to be in better shape than their sons!:o

:D

It's all rather sad really, I have no idea why Ray and Marv have not put their foot down.

What will it prove?

Personally I had the original at 115-113 for Leonard.

Actually would expect much the same result if had not retired in '82 and they had fought.

Marv was faster then but Ray had only one fight in five years so he was hardly at his best either.
  • Options
    Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Anyone know what channel is showing Frampton V Santa Cruz?

Boxnation.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh Roy Jones wants another 5 fights before he retires.
    The guy must have a death wish.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    Ugh Roy Jones wants another 5 fights before he retires.
    The guy must have a death wish.:(

Another five fights?:o

She should have retired after Glenn Johnson sparked him over a decade ago.

To see how far he has fallen is beyond tragic.

He is an accident waiting to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another five fights?:o

She should have retired after Glenn Johnson sparked him over a decade ago.

To see how far he has fallen is beyond tragic.

He is an accident waiting to happen.

Agreed! He just stood there like a statue gainst the ropes taking shots until the inevitable happened.
    Shane on his corner for allowing him to carry on when everyone could see he had nothing to give.

He was actually shot for the first Tarver fight after going up to heavy then coming back down again far too quickly. He later said he should have took a year to 18 months off to get back down slowly. Even for the Tarver fight his speed snd reflexes were not there. No combinations just trying to load up with one punch and his punch resistance was also gone when he nearly went down to what was little more than a jab.
    After that fight it was rapidly down hill all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »
    Agreed! He just stood there like a statue gainst the ropes taking shots until the inevitable happened.
    Shane on his corner for allowing him to carry on when everyone could see he had nothing to give.

He was actually shot for the first Tarver fight after going up to heavy then coming back down again far too quickly. He later said he should have took a year to 18 months off to get back down slowly. Even for the Tarver fight his speed snd reflexes were not there. No combinations just trying to load up with one punch and his punch resistance was also gone when he nearly went down to what was little more than a jab.
    After that fight it was rapidly down hill all the way.

On the money.

He let his ego get in the way when Tarver was goading him for a fight.

The thing is, Tarver is a bigger man than Jones Jr & Roy should have insisted that Antonio moved to HW, or at least CW if he wanted to fight so much.

The even more ironic thing is that Tarver is now an HW and has been for a good while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the money.

He let his ego get in the way when Tarver was goading him for a fight.

The thing is, Tarver is a bigger man than Jones Jr & Roy should have insisted that Antonio moved to HW, or at least CW if he wanted to fight so much.

The even more ironic thing is that Tarver is now an HW and has been for a good while.

I don't think Tarver being the bigger man would have been any kind of problem for an in tune Jones
    Tarver was a decent fighter but nothing more than that. He lost to the tough but very predictable and rather plodding Johnson. Had his ears boxed off and lost every round to Hopkins. A young Jones thrashed Hopkibs so badky it made Hopkins change the way he fought.
    Jones just made a career ending blunder putting on do much weight to fight at heavy then going back down again far too quickly.
    It was an extremely ameturish blunder by team Jones as everyone in the game knows how damaging rapid wright loss is to a fighter.
  • Options
    Casper GomezCasper Gomez Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see the Stevenson vs Williams Jnr fight yesterday? Well worth a watch. Stevenson needs to step up now though and fight Bieterbiev or winner of Kovalev vs Ward, I've had enough of him not fighting the top guys in his division.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxnation.

Thanks.

Santa Cruz appears to be the favourite but Frampton seems much happier at this weight.
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was surprised Santa Cruz was such a strong favourite when I saw the odds, might have a little tickle on Frampton.

Luke Campbell struggling again at the moment.

e: well he ended up out-hustling the geezer, for what it's worth. Bizarre display by Mendez who just stopped doing anything. I can't see much improvement in Campbell.
  • Options
    percygumtreepercygumtree Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Who is this bloke fighting dillan white? Never heard of him. Thought white was meant to be an up and coming boxer, shouldn't be calling out this bloke
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave Allen, from the Homer Simpson school of boxing. Might be working though, Whyte looks tired, not impressive at all here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great fight from both Frampton and Santa Cruz very hard to call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Worth getting up for!
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Frampton. Do like him as a fighter and was debating wether to get up for the fight but the bookies made Cruz such a big favourite that I thought they must know something I don't. Turns out they didn't and a link to a replay would be much appreciated. Ta
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gave it 2 rounds up to Frampton and was trying to be genous to LSC incase the Judges favoured him.
    Very sharp looking at this weight.
    Can't see him dropping down a weight again
  • Options
    Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there's already been a few views on here about Brook, Golovkin. With the crazy Khan fight that appeared to be just about money at the end of it all, plus the MMA / UFC McGregor, Diaz fight, it seems that fighters aren't taking the weight divisions seriously enough.

A six pound weight difference has a huge effect in boxing, and Brook thinks he can move up TWO weight divisions to beat the best fighter there is at any weight? To me, it's just about money, and yes Brook is a fantastic welter weight, but I just can't see him winning that fight at middle, and he'll get stopped.

Some fighters can move up the weight divisions successfully, but if Brook is serious, he should have taken at least a year to do it. He's not getting the money and big fights at welter, so he's taking too big a jump to get the big fight. Only problem is, it's the wrong big fight, and one he can't win.

He'll be a lot richer at the end of it though and maybe that's all he's really bothered about now.

McGregor is a boxer at heart, so I've included him in this post. UFC is different, and I don't think that McGregor would have taken the rematch if he wasn't sure he would have a decent chance of winning. It's about money there as well, but with McGregor I don't think it would ever just be about money. I'd give him a 55 / 45 chance of winning that one if he's much fitter than he was last time, and fights the right in and out fight.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tip top 2 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's already been a few views on here about Brook, Golovkin. With the crazy Khan fight that appeared to be just about money at the end of it all, plus the MMA / UFC McGregor, Diaz fight, it seems that fighters aren't taking the weight divisions seriously enough.

A six pound weight difference has a huge effect in boxing, and Brook thinks he can move up TWO weight divisions to beat the best fighter there is at any weight? To me, it's just about money, and yes Brook is a fantastic welter weight, but I just can't see him winning that fight at middle, and he'll get stopped.

Some fighters can move up the weight divisions successfully, but if Brook is serious, he should have taken at least a year to do it. He's not getting the money and big fights at welter, so he's taking too big a jump to get the big fight. Only problem is, it's the wrong big fight, and one he can't win.

He'll be a lot richer at the end of it though and maybe that's all he's really bothered about now.

McGregor is a boxer at heart, so I've included him in this post. UFC is different, and I don't think that McGregor would have taken the rematch if he wasn't sure he would have a decent chance of winning. It's about money there as well, but with McGregor I don't think it would ever just be about money. I'd give him a 55 / 45 chance of winning that one if he's much fitter than he was last time, and fights the right in and out fight.

Brook doesn't believe his moving up two divisions. His camp see him more of a 154lbs fighter who has killed himself to get to 147lbs.
  • Options
    Damien_JohnsonDamien_Johnson Posts: 2,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice Nick Halling not commentating for Sky on the weekend? Has he gone now?

I never liked him, or Jim Watt for that matter. Found them very biased towards Matchroom boxers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see the Stevenson vs Williams Jnr fight yesterday? Well worth a watch. Stevenson needs to step up now though and fight Bieterbiev or winner of Kovalev vs Ward, I've had enough of him not fighting the top guys in his division.

Agreed.

Stevenson has been ducking the big names for far too long.

I can't understand why, as he has the power to spark anyone, although I don't think he beats Kovalev, who is technically better, nor Ward, who would shut him down, outmuscle & outbox him.
  • Options
    Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Brook doesn't believe his moving up two divisions. His camp see him more of a 154lbs fighter who has killed himself to get to 147lbs.

On the night, I just think that Golovkin will be a lot bigger and stronger, and that Brook has made a miscalculation for the money. There are big money fights out here for him against the likes of Garcia, Vargas or even Liam Smith. That would have been a huge domestic fight, and a more realistic match up. Just can't see Brook having any chance at all, unless Golovkin has a huge off night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In today's Sunday Life Frampton says he's looking at an immediate rematch with Santa Cruz before the end of the year.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »

Seeing how he is in-between fights, I can certainly believe that.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tip top 2 wrote: »
    On the night, I just think that Golovkin will be a lot bigger and stronger, and that Brook has made a miscalculation for the money. There are big money fights out here for him against the likes of Garcia, Vargas or even Liam Smith. That would have been a huge domestic fight, and a more realistic match up. Just can't see Brook having any chance at all, unless Golovkin has a huge off night.

On paper yes but they offered Garcia more than $3 mil and he didn't take the fight.

Vargas took forever to agree to a $2 mil payday while Warren offered Brook £600k for the Smith fight which isn't great.

At 147lbs fighters are not in a rush to face Kell Brook.