Options

Exceeding download limit

almostblondealmostblonde Posts: 255
Forum Member
The problem I would like help with is not mine. My friend is with BT and honestly she hardly uses her laptop, let alone downloads stuff. She had a virus a couple of years ago on her old desktop and thought it was sorted when she got her laptop, but within a few weeks she has been told she has exceeded her limit. My friend is not young(68) and really does not use a computer for anything other than shopping, emailing and browsing. I wonder if anyone is using her WiFi connection and how she could find out, or if there is something else going on? I have suggested she change her provider. I am with virgin and have unlimited download apparently but I have probably the same usage as my friend! If someone out there can advise I would extremely grateful, my friend is recently widowed and rather vulnerable. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know how much the limit is? If it was a new laptop, it may have been downloading updates etc the first time it was switched on. This could be the cause especially if the limit is only small.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She has had it a few months now, forget exactly. Just to point out her lack of usage, she wouldn't dream of going on a forum which is why I am doing this for her. Don't know her limit but they did tell her once before that she had exceeded her limit and she didn't understand then, but they increased her monthly debit. I told her then to contest it but she really doesn't challenge anything. I do get exasperated about it.
  • Options
    sjw8sjw8 Posts: 7,162
    Forum Member
    Hi Op - sorry for the delay in replying.

I'm also with BT and have on occasions got close to my monthly download allowance. In those cases I have received an e-mail from BT informing me that I had used so much of my allowance - I can't remember the wording but the e-mails have indicated the amount used e.g. 16 Mbs out of a 20Mbs limit.

Your friend should therefore have received similar e-mails.

On a couple of occasions, usually near to the end of the month I have exceeded my limit and have been charged for the excess used, usually as an additional charge on my quarterly bill.

HTH

ETA - That said I don't have a direct debit and if she regularly exceeds her limit, then they may put up the direct debit in a similar way to some utility companies (Gas/Electric).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your replies. The problem is she honestly does not use her laptop very much at all, barely an hour a week. However she has spoken to BT and they did say, as one of you pointed out, that because she hardly ever switches it on it will be the updates that periodically cause the excess. She seemed quite satisfied with this explanation and they have offered her some sort of adjustment on her bill that she is happy with. So thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your replies. The problem is she honestly does not use her laptop very much at all, barely an hour a week. However she has spoken to BT and they did say, as one of you pointed out, that because she hardly ever switches it on it will be the updates that periodically cause the excess. She seemed quite satisfied with this explanation and they have offered her some sort of adjustment on her bill that she is happy with. So thanks everyone :)

But surely the updates will be the same size whether she has her computer on for 1 hour a week or permanently on?
  • Options
    Rubby_WilliamRubby_William Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Disable your laptop's automatic updates option. Be sure what is your limited bandwidth is and use it according to it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disable your laptop's automatic updates option. Be sure what is your limited bandwidth is and use it according to it.

You can have the laptop (with 8.1?) is set to automatically check for updates but allows you to select which ones to download, that will be better for the friend.
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    But surely the updates will be the same size whether she has her computer on for 1 hour a week or permanently on?
    True, but if she does not use the laptop for quite a long period, then ALL the updates will be downloaded within one of her monthly data allowance periods instead of being spread out continuously over a couple of months.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I have suggested she change her provider.

That would be worth looking into, she may be able to get unlimited broadband for less money.
    BT are not renowned for great prices.
    Its nice to be not worrying about going over the limit.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do some ISPs still set download limits? :D
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's W10 good luck trying to disable Windows updates on that. And if it's not, the Windows Update can still try to download it, it's about 3-4 GB I'd say.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    You need to try and get her on unlimited if you can. :)
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member

You may as well advise the user to leave the front door. Updates are there for everyone's protection. :o
  • Options
    NilSatisOptimumNilSatisOptimum Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worth popping router\modem IP address into the browser and access its settings, you can check what's connected and change access password to router\modem etc.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP simply needs to tell her friend to switch to TalkTalk. Problem solved.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    You need to try and get her on unlimited if you can. :)

Yep! That would definitely be the best option. There'll be some very cheap non-fibre packages out there that will be below £10.