Options

Is Caroline's win destined to be a freak occurrence?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie1967 wrote: »
    Not necessarily unfortunately. Thanks to the dance off, even the person with the highest public vote can go if they are not liked by the judges or kept high on the leaderboard.

But the point is, if they are the most popular - even if not with the judges - they will receive the most votes and stay out of the dance off. Therefore the most popular will always win.
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    But the point is, if they are the most popular - even if not with the judges - they will receive the most votes and stay out of the dance off. Therefore the most popular will always win.

That's not true though. As many people pointed out the week Jake went, for example, mathematically he could have received the highest public vote and still been in the dance off.
  • Options
    londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. On the final, this is definitely true because the judges have no say on who wins. There isn't any big reason for why someone wins. Anyone can win if they are popular with the public, regardless of age or dance ability and if they manage to avoid the dance-off.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not true though. As many people pointed out the week Jake went, for example, mathematically he could have received the highest public vote and still been in the dance off.

It's possible but usually requires one specific combination of votes, no ties on the leader board, and the most popular dancer to also be the lowest scored by the judges. The system is essentially designed by the BBC so that the most popular dancer survives and it will probably deliver that for all the series of Strictly they'll ever make.

Don't make decisions based on the most unlikely outcome.
  • Options
    Ellie1967Ellie1967 Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davegold wrote: »
    It's possible but usually requires one specific combination of votes, no ties on the leader board, and the most popular dancer to also be the lowest scored by the judges. The system is essentially designed by the BBC so that the most popular dancer survives and it will probably deliver that for all the series of Strictly they'll ever make.

Don't make decisions based on the most unlikely outcome.

I realise that, I was just pointing out that saying 'if you are the most popular with the public you will always win' is not 100% true as that person may not necessarily reach the final because of the dance off.

I would disagree with the BIB - if the BBC wanted to ensure the most popular dancer survives they wouldn't need the dance off at all.
  • Options
    nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ANYONE can win, regardless of age, if they are the most popular with the voting audience. Nothing necessarily to do with dance ability.

Agreed. Caroline's personality and partnership with Pasha was IMHO just more appealing to the general public than Frankie and Pixie.

Nice though they were, I think to the voting demographic, Caroline just appeared to have a more engaging personality - no doubt as a result of her presenting experience.

We see this time and again with talented sports people when they do reality shows - their prior mind-set training makes them seem overly driven and obsessed with winning.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nosilauk wrote: »

We see this time and again with talented sports people when they do reality shows - their prior mind-set training makes them seem overly driven and obsessed with winning.

They do seem to win in reasonable numbers though?
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    robbleona wrote: »
    What she definitely DIDN'T do was go full time to a dance school...she went part time, pranced around with s club juniors for a bit, and has anyone seen the saturdays do a dance routine?? Anyone remember how crap rochelle was on the xmas show last year?? More to the point, frankie and pixie ADMITTED to some training. They came clean while caroline literally sat back and let them take the' flak'.
    Caroline meanwhile, diplomas apart, went to FULL TIME dance school for 3 years, was in a dance troupe till she was 20, 'tried out' for cats and les mis, and was recently trained up by kristina rihanoff for that other dance show she was in before scd came along.
    One more thing........if its ok for caroline to have all this training, then woe betide any caroline 'followers' who whine and moan about anyone with the remotest dance training in SCD 2015 , just because they don't like/fancy them........we will be watching you!! ;-)

They are imprinted on my brain.:D
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nosilauk wrote: »
    Agreed. Caroline's personality and partnership with Pasha was IMHO just more appealing to the general public than Frankie and Pixie.

Nice though they were, I think to the voting demographic, Caroline just appeared to have a more engaging personality - no doubt as a result of her presenting experience.

Sportswomen maybe - Gabby, Denise and Jade all get painted as it in their time. Sportsmen...it doesn't seem to bother people.
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto those for whom previous dance training is a deal breaker, but only for some celebs.

To be honest it is not difficult to look back at people posting history and see whether they were fans of say Frankie and they were already posting against Caroline long before the final. Though nice as Frankie is I am sure she was and continues to be most embarrassed by the sort of fan who would want to do so.

I have never cared about previous dance experience and neither do most people it seems.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Sportswomen maybe - Gabby, Denise and Jade all get painted as it in their time. Sportsmen...it doesn't seem to bother people.

I think it depends how competitive they come across as. I would think that any celeb on Strictly is competitive because their respective businesses are all competitive not just sport - but some can mask it with a cheery laugh and a merry tra-la in public while kicking the waste paper basket in the dressing room - it's just that sports people are expected to be more so.

I could never understand why Denise took so much flak for the competitive thing. She came into Strictly after just trying to retain her Olympic title. She was always going to take it seriously but you could tell she was having fun as well.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    coppertop1 wrote: »
    Ditto those for whom previous dance training is a deal breaker, but only for some celebs.

To be honest it is not difficult to look back at people posting history and see whether they were fans of say Frankie and they were already posting against Caroline long before the final. Though nice as Frankie is I am sure she was and continues to be most embarrassed by the sort of fan who would want to do so.

I have never cared about previous dance experience and neither do most people it seems.

There are also many people whose posts indicate a liking for Caroline yet still dismissed as "haters" because of an opinion on training or the way its presented.

Tut tut to Frankie comment, I'm sure the same could be said of any of them, perhaps even yours. ;-)
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth have I got a tut tut?

Funny that of all the people to have a tut tut it should be me. What exactly have I said? I said Frankie was nice and would be embarrassed by all this fuss I am sure.

I don't think I have ever posted something in support of anyone I liked that would embarrass them. If I don't like them I will say so ,to be honest some people when they are spoiling the programme for me, I post about it. Cheif offenders this year were Gregg and Mark. Now they are off my tele I don't care at all about them. In fact I quite enjoy Gregg on Masterchef, he needs to stick to that.

Fairness in everything if I get a tut tut so should many other people.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Although Caroline looks good at 35, I wouldn't say she looks like she's in her 20s and her performances were no more energetic than someone like Denise Van Outen and that didn't help her. It seems that, for whatever reason, people liked Caroline's personality and all her competition was seen by too many people as either unlikeable or just a bit dull, so they voted for her.

I think twitter can determine voting patterns, am very suspicious about it and think that was the reason why pixie lost her place as they thought she was fake and playing up to the cameras, as well as her training prior to SCD. Also Trent got on lens nerves at times hence the votes loss, then again len was probably told by the executive producer to be more serious with the rules. Was a shame when pixie did go as people had her down as a potential winner, however the twittersphere who were taken in by lens comments and a certain SCD group on fb had other ideas. To be fair there are some individuals who aren't very nice on twitter at all really and I would suspect pixie had some abuse on twitter to be fair. :(

Twitter to me are a dictatorship and a sewer, its because of twitter that the wrong person won big brother 15. I bet pixie trended on twitter, but not for the right reasons sadly. :(
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Tall Paul wrote: »
    I think twitter can determine voting patterns, am very suspicious about it and think that was the reason why pixie lost her place as they thought she was fake and playing up to the cameras, as well as her training prior to SCD. Also Trent got on lens nerves at times hence the votes loss, then again len was probably told by the executive producer to be more serious with the rules. Was a shame when pixie did go as people had her down as a potential winner, however the twittersphere who were taken in by lens comments and a certain SCD group on fb had other ideas. To be fair there are some individuals who aren't very nice on twitter at all really and I would suspect pixie had some abuse on twitter to be fair. :(

Twitter to me are a dictatorship and a sewer, its because of twitter that the wrong person won big brother 15. I bet pixie trended on twitter, but not for the right reasons sadly. :(

Twitter can be great - like anything its down to the people who use it (or misuse it)! I'm on Twitter and it can be really good, certainly in celeb terms its a great way to keep fans in the loop about various activities, and is a good platform for interaction.

Digital Spy is probably just as bad as Twitter anyway... have a look at the Pixie Lott thread in the showbiz section. Some of it is just plain nasty!
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    Twitter can be great - like anything its down to the people who use it (or misuse it)! I'm on Twitter and it can be really good, certainly in celeb terms its a great way to keep fans in the loop about various activities, and is a good platform for interaction.

Digital Spy is probably just as bad as Twitter anyway... have a look at the Pixie Lott thread in the showbiz section. Some of it is just plain nasty!

Exactly. I do suspect people are too quick to follow people without looking at their tweeting history. Or even more strangely feel the need to read & retweet the vile stuff.