Options

When will we get a 4K/UHD linear channel on Sky?

2»

Comments

• Options
    atannatann Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    pward1965 wrote: »
    Demos in stores always look good, live broadcasts tend not to be to the same standard. I have an LG OLED and it does produce a brilliant picture, although i have been more impressed with HDR than 4K. The Grand Tour in 4K and HDR looks absolutely stunning.

I guess we will have to wait and see how good F1 looks in 4K.

Any news on when Sky are going to implement HDR?
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    rscott wrote: »
    As someone who's had Sky Q since March and occasionally uses a Sky+HD box, I'd say you're utterly wrong about carrying over the old EPG.

UHD channels on the EPG may well happen, when there's actually enough UHD content to warrant it.

UHD should have been an evolution from Sky+HD.

Not the wreckage that is Sky Q
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this thread simply concerning Sky's output, or can we extend it to the possibility of other linear channels being UHD but appearing on the Sky EPG - thus requiring a suitable box to view which, of course, hasn't happened yet? Thinking maybe a Japanese news channel, or a dedicated channel where, say, Sony or Toshiba can "demonstrate" 4k? OK, won't kick-off 4k big time, but it's a start, and sport/films would probably follow.

But the key is how many have got 4k sets and wanting linear content on there and would jump at the chance of a new box should 4k come along?
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    UHD should have been an evolution from Sky+HD.

Not the wreckage that is Sky Q

Have you got Sky Q, or even used it for any period of time?

What's the point in grafting UHD support onto 10 year old software. Far better to start from a clean platform and avoid all the long standing issues. For example, series links actually work properly on Q..
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rscott wrote: »
    Have you got Sky Q, or even used it for any period of time?

What's the point in grafting UHD support onto 10 year old software. Far better to start from a clean platform and avoid all the long standing issues. For example, series links actually work properly on Q..

Series link works until the series ends so when it comes back it you have to re-link it or at least it did for me when supernatural returned.
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next few months are going to be Interesting for Sky and they really need to up their game with UHD content especially on live sport.

When you look most UK based live sport on BT is now in UHD with more to come and they launch the 2nd UHD channel in spring yet all Sky do is premier league football which is very disappointing.

I know from conversation I had before Christmas that Virgin media are also working hard to obtain UHD content with one large deal possible before the summer.
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    Are BT launching a second UHD channel - not seen anything about this in the media?

They've announced support for Netflix 4k @as they call it).
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uno wrote: »
    The next few months are going to be Interesting for Sky and they really need to up their game with UHD content especially on live sport.

When you look most UK based live sport on BT is now in UHD with more to come and they launch the 2nd UHD channel in spring yet all Sky do is premier league football which is very disappointing.

I know from conversation I had before Christmas that Virgin media are also working hard to obtain UHD content with one large deal possible before the summer.

F1 races will be in UHD in March (when the season starts).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R Scott - BT will add a second UHD channel as and when required like next Saturday evening there will be one channel showing Premiership football Man City vs Tottenham and another showing Leicester vs Glasgow European champions cup Rugby union both games in 4K

This will be happening most weekends going forward two 4K channels at the same time as BT are really pushing forward with UK based content and they will also soon be showing the French league Sun night game in 4K as well as more Série A. Later on this year Moto GP is going 4K too so am sure that will be on BT

Yet nothing new from Sky sports in 6 months since launch just premier league football and F1 when the new season starts very disappointing from them a very much half effort

They really need to sort something out for the Summer and up their game as once football ends in May they will be left with just F1 every few weeks

by now I had to expected announcements that Cricket would in UHD this year along with other regular UK based sports like Premier league of darts,Speedway,Super league rugby and others especially how they keep saying how many Sky Q customers they have upgraded and gained need to offer more content now.
  • Options
    jedapojedapo Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    gianni wrote: »
    Every shop demo I have seen (Currys, John Lewis, etc.) has had the contrast/brightness/etc. turned up on the 4K set making the picture almost unwatchable; yes I can see more detail and less pixilation but what I see is not what I want to watch for hours on end at home.

Oh yes you can, massively. Are you sure you have it set up correctly. I have a Samsung QLED tv and it is stunning, mind blowing, etc.... Had it with ordinary HD then Sky Q before HD, the difference is night and day, the darker black is more impressive than the colour.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky are now testing a second UHD channel. They'll need two for when the F1 returns.

also, Astra/SES now have two UHD demo channels. A regular 8bit showing extended clips from various channels (Fashion, Insight, Red Bull and NASA) and a 10bit BT2020 colour space one that loops a two minute demo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Sky are now testing a second UHD channel. They'll need two for when the F1 returns.

also, Astra/SES now have two UHD demo channels. A regular 8bit showing extended clips from various channels (Fashion, Insight, Red Bull and NASA) and a 10bit BT2020 colour space one that loops a two minute demo.

But no separate UHD channel on sky. Think it will be quite a while before that happens since there isn't enough content to justify a separate channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed in the last few days that BT have started to promote Dolby Atmos sound on their premier league coverage and films on demand where available. They are also in negotiations with US broadcasters about getting UHD and Atmos from them too.

Again Sky are being left behind this is something they should be offering now especially as they have more PL Games plus movie channels.

As I have stated before with regards to when will Sky have a proper UHD channel this is largely in their hands they have the broadcast rights,their UK OB partners are already doing BTs content in UHD and non sport wise they commission and produce a lot of content including drama,nature,comedy,entertainment themselves with so far little being in UHD.

When you look at our European neighbors like Spain,Portugal and from next week France they all have a selection of UHD channels to watch most being new content
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed in the last few days that BT have started to promote Dolby Atmos sound on their premier league coverage and films on demand where available. They are also in negotiations with US broadcasters about getting UHD and Atmos from them too.

Again Sky are being left behind this is something they should be offering now especially as they have more PL Games plus movie channels.

As I have stated before with regards to when will Sky have a proper UHD channel this is largely in their hands they have the broadcast rights,their UK OB partners are already doing BTs content in UHD and non sport wise they commission and produce a lot of content including drama,nature,comedy,entertainment themselves with so far little being in UHD.

When you look at our European neighbors like Spain,Portugal and from next week France they all have a selection of UHD channels to watch most being new content

I read that netflix are thinking about showing sports. Imagine if sky lost premiership football rights.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    I read that netflix are thinking about showing sports. Imagine if sky lost premiership football rights.

Imagine if the Premier League sold the rights to a company where millions of homes wouldn't have fast enough BB to watch it.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »

Netflix have always ruled out acquiring sports rights, most recently just a few days ago.

http://www.thewrap.com/netflix-has-no-plans-to-show-live-sports/
  • Options
    Johns63Johns63 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must admit I've been quite disappointment in lack of content. They clearly have the production capabilities as there's been 3 uhd games back to back today. Most surprising to me is that none of the efl cup semi finals have been in uhd. When they're at premier league stadiums that they've already shown content from before. Hopefully picks up sooner rather than later or it could be a long summer with a f1 race every few weeks..
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    If they bought out a new Box that had,

the EPG of Sky+HD with
    the added features of Sky Q
    The look of Sky Q (Box only)
    Personal planners
    4tb HDD &
    UHD channels on the EPG,

I truly believe millions would upgrade tomorrow.

sky Q is a mess.

Without a shadow of doubt, it would sell (or even rent !) in millions :-)
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    ktla5 wrote: »
    Without a shadow of doubt, it would sell (or even rent !) in millions :-)

Wow, positive feedback.

I need a (pick TV) klaxon for that. :)