Options

Why do some men choose to be single

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Independence (or to be free of dependents, whichever way you look at it), freedom, no commitments...
    Some people (whatever their gender or orientation) aren't wired for relationships.

Yeah I feel constrained in relationships - I just like organising my own life.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel lonely occasionally, but if I ever feel the need to procreate then I'm sure a mutual arrangement can be made with someone.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I feel constrained in relationships - I just like organising my own life.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel lonely occasionally, but if I ever feel the need to procreate then I'm sure a mutual arrangement can be made with someone.

But you'd have to make a relationship with the child. Being Dad is one of the biggest committments there is. A cold 'I have procreated' followed by 'I feel constrained in relationships' just won't do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    But you'd have to make a relationship with the child. Being Dad is one of the biggest committments there is. A cold 'I have procreated' followed by 'I feel constrained in relationships' just won't do.

I'm sure I could fulfill the emotional needs of the child.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always end up getting friendzoned...
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No kids below 17 for me, if I get into a relationship.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    No kids below 17 for me, if I get into a relationship.
    So if there you meet someone and really...and i mean really keen on them, you wont go for it because they have kids under 17,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    So if there you meet someone and really...and i mean really keen on them, you wont go for it because they have kids under 17,

I read it to mean they won't have a relationship with anyone under 17.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I could fulfill the emotional needs of the child.

But HOW when you reject relationships completely? (which I agree you are totally entitled to do) But the fact remains that the most demanding relationship of all is the one formed with children.

See, I don't really believe that avoiding relationships is a matter of logic and intellectual decision making - it's a personality trait. As I said earlier, people either have the capacity for relationships and sharing a life, or they don't.
    Why would you be able suddenly to change your personality for a child?
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Women are irrational nagging hormonal frigid ****s. Why would anyone in their right mind want to live with 1? A wise man once told me never trust anything that bleeds once a month for no reason

Someone also said that some men are wise and some are otherwise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevinlad wrote: »
    Some women find men too dominant in a relationship and they want to be "independent" instead (words from some of my friends).

For gay men, it is just the reality for them not easy to find someone in a mostly straight world.

No it's because most gay men are **** who shag anyone willing
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whoah. Strap in, everyone, it's gonna get turbulent in here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

Really? That's got me thinking about turning the other way.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    My husband is a devoted video game player (he takes his holidays around releases of video games) and plays them as many hours a day or week as he pleases. He doesn't drink beer, but he could if he wanted.
    And he and I won't be having children.

The secret to this - and I know this will come as a shock to some - is only to marry someone who has the same ideals, goals and life plans as you do. ;)

That is the general idea, only not always possible as men do tend to put on such an act to impress at first, later on they revert back to the teenager they always were and destined to stay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

It's true though, gay men must have the most sexual partners than any other sexuality and it makes it hard to have a relationship, when in a small town nearly every gay man has shagged every other gay man.
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Is this a joke thread? Being single is brilliant. You can do what you want, eat what you want, watch what you want on tv, get up when you want, go where you want. Ive been in enough relationships to know that all they do is limit what you can do. You end up doing stuff you dont enjoy just to keep someone else happy. Not the way I want to live my life. And I know too many people who are unhappy with their relationships...saddled with kids, massive mortgage to house those kids, high pressure job to make the money to keep that house, going home at nights and getting moaned at, asking for permission to go out, asking for permisiion to spend their own money!! and being forced into spending Sundays at B+Q rather than sitting with their feet up watching the footy. The question should really be, why the hell would any bloke in their right mind want to get married? Lets face it, even sex gets boring after a while.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D so you've never been out clubbing with a group of straight guys?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    :D so you've never been out clubbing with a group of straight guys?

Believe me gay men can find sex a lot easier that straight men, I could walk out this house and get shafted within half an hour......Mind that's probably because there is a cruising site just over the road haha
  • Options
    Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm over 40 and never been married or had any kids. Been in an eleven year relationship previously so I've done my time in that sense. Now I would only consider ever living with or marrying a woman if she was my soul mate.
  • Options
    Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saddled with kids, massive mortgage to house those kids, high pressure job to make the money to keep that house, going home at nights and getting moaned at.
    Yup. A nightmare scenario which I've done my best to avoid.
  • Options
    Choc13257weqChoc13257weq Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    jules1000 wrote: »
    So you never lived with or trusted your mother then......

My wise mum always said never trust a man who doesn't like his mother.

I doubt baby P would have agreed with your mum (had he survivived).
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    schead wrote: »
    You know what? I previously defended marriage and all that bollocks. When you check on your wifes email and find an email from her to some bloke called "Rick" saying "Do you fancy a **** on Monday", you realise that the single guys are right.

I'm now more interested in what Schead is going to do. That's brutal, and another reason to be single. You must feel like you've just been kicked in the bollocks x 100.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevinlad wrote: »
    I can understand why some women choose to be single.

I can also understand why many gay men are single.

But what I don't understand is why some straight men choose to be single. I do know some of them in their 40s and never married and not intented to (they mostly could find somebody if they make an effort and not having unrealistic expectation). I don't want to ask them why (it's a men thing of not talking that kind of thing). Anyone could thnk of why?

There could be a number of reasons for a man not wanting a relationship. This isn't to say that they wouldn't be okay with a bit of 'fun' now and again. I'm just guessing with that bit though. But yeah, there could be a number of reasons why they don't want anything that remotely resembles a commitment.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

Not going to touch that one with a barge pole. Which is going against type apparently. :D
  • Options
    J B OddsocksJ B Oddsocks Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Previous relationships just didn't work out. Now that i've been on my own for a long time I've come to value my freedom and not having to worry about anyone else. Is that a bit selfish? Maybe, but i'm happy.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    This isn't to say that they wouldn't be okay with a bit of 'fun' now and again.
    Not all single men have 'fun' either, through choice, asexuality, acceptance or men who identify themselves as (the despised by others) incel.