Options

Anyone got fears/concerns about Capaldi?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only concern is that I'll just see Malcolm Tucker.
  • Options
    xblingxbling Posts: 2,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most interesting things I found in those last few minutes was how PC handled the confusion. It was a panic but not manic. I thought it was how it should have been, just that niggling feeling like he (the Doctor) wanted to get on with it but was not able to. May I say Clara's face was brilliant.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xbling wrote: »
    One of the most interesting things I found in those last few minutes was how PC handled the confusion. It was a panic but not manic. I thought it was how it should have been, just that niggling feeling like he (the Doctor) wanted to get on with it but was not able to. May I say Clara's face was brilliant.

I agree entirely. Have watched the last ten minutes of this episode a ridiculous number of times now a) because it's goodbye to a favourite Doctor and Matt is sublime right up to the end, and b) it's flippin' marvellous.

Assume the script said something like (Clara looks on aghast)...well, Jenna certainly nailed 'aghast'! :D
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    He's only 56, he's not old!!! People really need to grow up and stop being so superficial.

55, I thought :) Still only early 50s, though.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Blf073f2Lc

{Very Swaery}
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I have no fears or concerns at all.
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The doctor has no choice how old he appears anyway.

Sometimes he has an older appearance and sometimes a younger one. Its time for him to appear older and use his years of learning in a different way. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I know a 4 year old, who when Capaldi was cast, his mother regularly woke up to him running round his bedroom shouting "yay the Doctor is going to be Peter Capaldi" I think we're all safe on the younger viewer front.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact this thread won't go away must prove people do have concerns?

See, you're all worried!!!! Matt Smith will be back in the role in 2015. :D
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. The majority of people have posted their support of Capaldi and how wrong they think you are. So quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Smith prefers Atlantis anyway - so it doesn't matter what happens to Doctor Who ;)
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not, I've never been more confident in a newly appointed Doctor.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »

I'm f*****g counting on it. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He will be fantastic Doctor. He was in only one scene, and I'm thrilled. He looks like a mad scientist (in a good way). Can 't wait for next season :).
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    How many people who watch Doctor Who watch solely for 'eye candy'? It's not like Matt Smith was some superhot hunk.

The younger viewers (children and teens) won't particularly be able to 'relate' to someone Smith's age more than Capaldi. Unless they cast a teenager in the role, the children are not going to 'relate'. If anything, I think the young viewers might find an older Doctor more enjoyable.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    How many people who watch Doctor Who watch solely for 'eye candy'? It's not like Matt Smith was some superhot hunk.

The younger viewers (children and teens) won't particularly be able to 'relate' to someone Smith's age more than Capaldi. Unless they cast a teenager in the role, the children are not going to 'relate'. If anything, I think the young viewers might find an older Doctor more enjoyable.

Exactly. There seems to be some patronizing myth that children and younger viewers only relate to someone their own age. Utter nonsense. When I was a child I didn't aspire to be or admire characters my own age. I found them annoying. I wanted to be grown up and my heroes were Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy and Han Solo and when I was a teenager it was Fox Mulder and Agent Cooper.

It seems a bizarre sort of self imposed ageism comes into play when people get older and worry they're out of touch so they bow down at the altar of youth rather than remembering that when you're a kid you look up to the grown up heroes. Look how popular Robert Downey Jnr, Martin Freeman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddlestone and many others are with the fandom! Ok. They're not quite as old as Capaldi but nor are they fresh faced teeny boppers. This creepy and desperate obsession with youth in our culture in recent years needs stamping out. This isn't Percy Jackson or Twilight. Enough!
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »

I am convinced you are trolling now.

It is not clever or funny >:(

I for one certainly do not want Matt Smith back - in 2015 or ever.
    It is time for him to move on - and for you to as well.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »

Nice bit of trolling! Not answering any of the points put to you, and being provocative.

I detect a familiar pattern here! Do tell me...

Are you Clackers in disguise.....?!!!
  • Options
    Mr MajesterMr Majester Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    He was barely in it! And I was quite looking forward to seeing the new outfit :)

For me, he didn't make much of an impact. There was the potentially interesting indication that Clara will take a while to adjust to his Doctor; it was a little bit Colin Bakerish- but he didn't really get the chance to make the character his own. In all the other regenerations I watched (8th Doctor onwards) it felt like the Doctor really had transformed into another character.

As for whether the kiddies will like it, I think they will as he appears to be playing the character like a sort of grizzly bear- a bit cantankerous but actually quite cuddly. I am also assuming that Capaldi's Doctor won't be sexing it up so there won't be any of that 'stuff that goes over the children's heads'.

Please let's get away from the Doctor dating earthlings - I grew up with this character who was above that and a mystery - now he's kissing every bipedal organism in sight.
    Romance for the companions is okay but let the Doc fly the TARDIS in peace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma_marie wrote: »
    I'm a Tennant and Smith fan girl, but I think Capaldi is going to be brilliant. A lot darker and serious doctor I think.

Has he not set your pulse racing yet then?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please let's get away from the Doctor dating earthlings

It's almost enough to make a Doctor leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mousy wrote: »
    Ah, actually I have seen fires of pompeii!!! Thanks:D

(never seen Torchwood though). Didnt really like Capaldi as the Pompeii Dad now I know who he is, that makes it worse!!!!!! Quite worried now.:cry:
    All will be fine, I'm sure *repeats mantra*

By the way, I am not a young fan girl, been watching Who since the Pertwee days (Im 48). I disappeared somwehere at the end of the McCoy/Baker reign and came back with New Who, as many did.

As for old and young, I always got a hint of romance with Pertwee and Jo, didnt you all?

Oh a 'girl' who likes WHO? We used to tease girls who said they watched Dr Who back in the T.Baker days haha.
    No Pertwee was just a fatherly gent to Jo IMO - I always thought of him as her father figure.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone else has already pointed out in this thread, your view that an older actor won't succeed with kids is totally blown out of the water by the fact that Elisabeth Sladen, a woman in her 60's, was the lead character for a Children's programme, which was hugely successful for the BBC.

Not only that, if you look at Verity Lambert's description of the First Doctor, she said that despite his age he was as against the establishment as the children were, that he was a rebel of sorts. That's why he was so popular with the kids.

For me, that strand of childish rebelliousness and going against authority has carried right through every Doctor to a greater or lesser degree. It's what makes the character so appealing and I can't see that changing with Capaldi. As the 4th Doctor aid, 'You can't be grown up without being childish sometimes.' That is for me what will make the character appeal to the younger generation in my view no matter how old he is.

Not only that, Doctor Who isn't just for young kids, I know people well into old age who still watch the show and it maybe they will 'identify' with an older Doctor better anyway. It is a family show after all.

:)

Couldn't have said it better, but I wonder if we should keep feeding a troll!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    This is so hilarious it has to be a wind-up ...

Who exactly are DW's 'main fans' and what do they do/say that qualifies them as 'important'?

Why is Capaldi 'Baker/McCoy all over again'?

DW certainly faces a challenge when he starts: it'll most likely be up against a Simon Cowell-refuelled X Factor, and Moffat needs reining in so he can return to form, or he should hand over to Toby Whithouse (the only man qualified for the job) ... but Capaldi himself is technically brilliant - so I hardly think he can be held entirely responsible for the show's fate.

I think he means 'teh fanz' who have Bill Hartnell alarm clocks ~{analogue of course} - Troughton recorders - Pertwee's Bessie motor car models - T.Baker's jellybaby recipe - Davison's signed cricket ball - C.Baker's cat badge - Mcoy's ? well never really watched him so no idea - you get the picture.
    Or he could mean moaning OCD geekdom who palpitate over the silliest of notions.
    As for Capaldi - haha - he only spoke what two lines?
    I will judge him after 3-4 episodes to let him get into his stride!
  • Options
    SouthernerSoutherner Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the Doctor being older than Clara so older guy with young lady equals creepy, remember the Ninth Doctor with Rose? The Ninth was like a protective "dad" to her, Rose didn't show any romantic interest until he turned into the 10th!

Some people seem to forget the Doctor had incarniations appearing older than 40 - First, Second, Third, Fourth, Seventh, Ninth now Twelfth.

Malcolm Tucker as the Doctor, looking forward to this! Hope the Twelfth will have a moodier side like the actor portrayed as Tucker without the cursing. My guess he'll be similar in personality to the Ninth with the dry wit and cynicism.

For the trolls out there, as Malcolm Tucker would say: F*ckity-Bye!