Christopher Eccleston "I love The Doctor"

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InNoctem wrote: »
    This sounds like a very honest account. Thanks for sharing. Hope to shut up CE's naysayers now.

Charming turn of phrase. And why would it?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    What type of jokes does he mean? We all have a different sense of humour and we can't all find the same type of pranks funny. Billie Piper said in her book that CE had a great sense of humour, so it will be churlish to say that someone had no humour. Maybe they both just had a different type of humour

I'm with Chris on this. Much as I like Captain Jack, I fear from what I've heard Barrowman's humour and general demeanour would leave me cold. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I loved Chris. Thought he was a seriously good Doctor and we probably wouldn't be watching it still if it hadn't been for him. I'm still hoping that he will be in the 50th, but he's just being a very good liar.
    DW has different "bosses" now.

So the ones that upset CE (though, interestingly none of the other cast at the time were upset by them) are all gone.

I get that some people like CE's Doctor....fine, though I don't. The fact that he didn't want to be there was evident to me. I've nothing against him personally.

But using the analogy above, if I was asked to return to a job I had left because I hated it, and I wrote a note saying how much I loved it and would certainly come back in 50 years, I think they would know how to read it, and they'd be a bit daft if they didn't spot the irony.

But of course, Saint Christopher is always right to some on here. A bit like the BBC.

Thanks for the "entitlement" word, whoever posted it - I collect instances of this meaningless and inaccurate word (among others) on this forum, for my personal amusement.

I did hear that the guy who wrote the "Dalek" episode also encountered problems with management and left for that reason.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    tszujme wrote: »
    Chris is a lovely man with a strong sense of integrity, and he always speaks warmly of DW in private (I have worked with him). As for the 50th no one knows the full story. I've only heard little bits and pieces but he didn't drop out until fairly late in the day, he didn't reject it out of hand. I don't know the reason why he dropped out but apparently they really mucked him about. Even David T was really pissed off over how DW mucked him about when it came to asking him to be in the 50th (you'd be amazed how late they contacted him about being in it) and dithering over dates and if you know how obsessive he is about DW that is saying a lot.

They were, and they have. Just because none of the other leads have stated as such to the press doesn't mean they weren't upset at Boak's behaviour and how it was handled. A number of extras and minor crew members DID speak out publicly (online) about the bullying, it just didn't get into the press. Few actors would be willing to complain to the press, especially for a TV show they were still on. Get them talking privately and it is a VERY different matter. "A TV director no one's ever heard of is a bully, claims some random extra" wouldn't exactly bring in the big money from the tabloids, and anyone selling a story like that would never work again. And the standard join form for all the big extras agencies includes a clause about not speaking to the press or posting online anything about the production. They overlook most online stuff but selling a "bullying on set" story to the press is a different matter.

The fact Boak never worked for DW again speaks volumes.

One of the directors, Keith Boak, who bullied minor crew and extras quite badly. Chris was also unhappy with how Phil Collinson handled (or didn't handle) those problems. The filming for S1 was totally FUBAR though. They were badly behind schedule almost right from the start and the scheduling was a total nightmare, there was one night shoot where he was on the call sheet but wound up not filming but sitting in his trailer all night because they didn't get to his scenes. His father was also seriously ill and he was travelling between home and set. I don't think Chris had any beef with RTD because he still praises him, though he did have a problem with some of the writing on DW. He signed up based on RTD's writing in 'The Second Coming' so he wasn't expecting farting aliens and wheelie bins eating people.

Btw Chris is on the record as saying he only does Hollywood dross for the money, to subsidise his theatre, indie film and UK TV career.

This is a great post, thanks for it (and if you want to drop in any more titbits then by all means feel free :D )

Needs to be quoted for a new page, so that's that done :D

Did you ever get an impression from Chris how long he was intending to stay with Who before the whole bullying issue developed?
    Was it always to be a short term gig to get it off the ground or would he have indeed have stayed on longer had he been in a more comfortable environment? :confused:
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Did you ever get an impression from Chris how long he was intending to stay with Who before the whole bullying issue developed?
    Was it always to be a short term gig to get it off the ground or would he have indeed have stayed on longer had he been in a more comfortable environment? :confused:

Well, I think it's public knowledge that his contract was only for a year anyway, because no-one knew what was going to happen to the show. I suppose he could have been talked into another series, but I doubt if he would have carried on much past that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris is a lovely man with a strong sense of integrity, and he always speaks warmly of DW in private (I have worked with him). As for the 50th no one knows the full story. I've only heard little bits and pieces but he didn't drop out until fairly late in the day, he didn't reject it out of hand. I don't know the reason why he dropped out but apparently they really mucked him about. Even David T was really pissed off over how DW mucked him about when it came to asking him to be in the 50th (you'd be amazed how late they contacted him about being in it) and dithering over dates and if you know how obsessive he is about DW that is saying a lot.

Also, I believe, through a SFX article years ago, Eccleston, the press and Boak are all bound by an embargo on the matter. Regarding the 50th - finally someone begins to reveal some of the truth here. When the reasons for Eccleston's non-participation come to light, there will be a lot of forehead-slapping from fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member

They were, and they have. Just because none of the other leads have stated as such to the press doesn't mean they weren't upset at Boak's behaviour and how it was handled. A number of extras and minor crew members DID speak out publicly (online) about the bullying, it just didn't get into the press. Few actors would be willing to complain to the press, especially for a TV show they were still on. Get them talking privately and it is a VERY different matter. "A TV director no one's ever heard of is a bully, claims some random extra" wouldn't exactly bring in the big money from the tabloids, and anyone selling a story like that would never work again. And the standard join form for all the big extras agencies includes a clause about not speaking to the press or posting online anything about the production. They overlook most online stuff but selling a "bullying on set" story to the press is a different matter.

The fact Boak never worked for DW again speaks volumes.

One of the directors, Keith Boak, who bullied minor crew and extras quite badly. Chris was also unhappy with how Phil Collinson handled (or didn't handle) those problems. The filming for S1 was totally FUBAR though. They were badly behind schedule almost right from the start and the scheduling was a total nightmare, there was one night shoot where he was on the call sheet but wound up not filming but sitting in his trailer all night because they didn't get to his scenes. His father was also seriously ill and he was travelling between home and set. I don't think Chris had any beef with RTD because he still praises him, though he did have a problem with some of the writing on DW. He signed up based on RTD's writing in 'The Second Coming' so he wasn't expecting farting aliens and wheelie bins eating people.

Btw Chris is on the record as saying he only does Hollywood dross for the money, to subsidise his theatre, indie film and UK TV career.

If there was a 'favourites' button on DS forum, I would have pressed it for this. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is this Boak you speak of?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Who is this Boak you speak of?

Its quite clear in the post who he is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its quite clear in the post who he is.

Are you a vegetarian?
  • Options
    tecstartecstar Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I think it's public knowledge that his contract was only for a year anyway, because no-one knew what was going to happen to the show. I suppose he could have been talked into another series, but I doubt if he would have carried on much past that.

I am sure I have read that he would have been quite happy to continue with the role for a bit longer but the working conditions made it untenable. I have always wondered at what point did Chris decide to leave, and therefore his regeneration had to be written and filmed? Has this ever been established?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tecstar wrote: »
    I am sure I have read that he would have been quite happy to continue with the role for a bit longer but the working conditions made it untenable. I have always wondered at what point did Chris decide to leave, and therefore his regeneration had to be written and filmed? Has this ever been established?

He's said that he had always intended to do one series (although I suppose he could just be saying it to avoid questions), so the regeneration would have been written along with the rest of Series 1.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Having trailed through the nine pages of this so far, my stance on Eccleston still remains - top bloke.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    What JB is known for :o
    Basically JB kept them tucked away when CE was around
    Yeah, showing your willy to everyone is really funny....not
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's said that he had always intended to do one series (although I suppose he could just be saying it to avoid questions), so the regeneration would have been written along with the rest of Series 1.

I remember they were saying in the papers that Chris had to return to set to film the regeneration scene several weeks after filming ended on series 1 because he'd quit after and so the ending was rewritten.

Probably journalist rubbish.