Cats in USA

13»

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Perhaps treating cats like wild animals is where we have gone wrong in this country. Before enough people realise how much harm is being done and decide to cull them like other species.

Some feral colonies have been culled. This has happened for years. If the colony is lucky, the land owner will call a cat rescue place but those willing to deal with ferals are few and far between.

However, feral colonies tend to self manage - if their isn't enough food some die, fail to reproduce, move on.

If we decide to treat cats the same as dogs there would likely be MORE culling not less as no-one will want to take on the legal responsibility for the care of the feral colonies and so will have them destroyed.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had two ferals from a rescue along side our other 3 rescues, if everyone who had a cat did that there would be no need to cull, but sadly few do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had two ferals from a rescue along side our other 3 rescues, if everyone who had a cat did that there would be no need to cull, but sadly few do.

I had a feral kitten when I was younger - lovely little thing but unless you get them young enough, they are near impossible to domesticate. So well done for managing that! Most ferals would be seriously stressed in a domestic situation and the average owner would not be able to transition them from wild animal to domestic pet.

Sadly very few ferals do well in a home situation - especially an indoor situation - some rescues will PTS if they have FIV or if they don't have a new outdoor site for the cats. A livery near me took on four feral cats and they are totally happy living around the stables, they are fed & if they were to fall ill the rescue would lend a trap to get them medical attention. They are neutered so the 'colony' will not grow. But suitable homes like this are few and far between.:( If a site needs clearing, the cats have no where to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very true ours were young enough to almost domesticate, after a lot of work and a few months they were loving and friendly to us and our family but were fighting spitting machines should anyone they didn't know well.
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a feral adult - but had two siblings from a feral mother and also one at six months. All of them turned out to be loving and home loving cats - although sadly the older one after two years - walked out one day and never came back.

What I do feel so strongly about is owners who don't bother to get their cats neutered. Years ago - our next door neighbours (rented property) moved and left their mother and kittens in a cardboard box in the garden. It was days of phoning the letting agency and RSPCA before they came back for them. I often wonder if they just took them somewhere else and abandoned them.

I know it will never happen - but in my perfect world - all cat and dog owners would be licensed before they were allowed to own a pet - and held accountable for their welfare. I know - in my dreams. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    This may have been asked before,
    I watch Jackson Galaxy, who fixes problem cats in USA on Sky,
    Why do most keep their cats indoors, it seems so cruel.

yes of course its cruel,anyone who has empathy with their cat knows this.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I'm currently sitting outside, listening to the coyotes howl and yip. That's why I don't let my cats outside.

Plus there's rattlesnakes and poisonous plants and all other sorts of nasty shit around here. The desert isn't a very nice place for domesticated animals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I'm currently sitting outside, listening to the coyotes howl and yip. That's why I don't let my cats outside.

Plus there's rattlesnakes and poisonous plants and all other sorts of nasty shit around here. The desert isn't a very nice place for domesticated animals.

Can't argue with that:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed I think I would become an indoor person in that situation ! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

living there your cat doesn't have a choice but to stay in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    living there your cat doesn't have a choice but to stay in.

Pets never have much choice owners make the choices for them.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    In that case they'll soon keep their kids indoors all the time.

Just like we do, eh?

Some cats live indoors, some don't. Both are happy, they just have different lifestyles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pets never have much choice owners make the choices for them.

if you paid a visit to my house you would see who is in charge and it ain't me.
    I don't agree with keeping a cat that is kept prisoner inside,and as for declawing well that is sick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you paid a visit to my house you would see who is in charge and it ain't me.

I guess it takes itself to the pet shop for food and to the vet for treatment then eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCDchick wrote: »
    I guess it takes itself to the pet shop for food and to the vet for treatment then eh?

these particular cats have a servant,me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    these particular cats have a servant,me.

Don't say that I got jumped on the other day for joking about cats having servants ! Very sensitive some people on this forum....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCDchick wrote: »

And decide what treatments to have I guess :D
  • Options
    Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope they were all neutered.

A friend of my mother is known as a "mad cat woman" on my Mum's road because she feeds a few feral cats. But at least she has paid to have them all neutered.

I don't understand why people think that cats should be allowed to roam unhindered, they are the only pets who are still allowed to do so.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had a feral adult - but had two siblings from a feral mother and also one at six months. All of them turned out to be loving and home loving cats - although sadly the older one after two years - walked out one day and never came back.

What I do feel so strongly about is owners who don't bother to get their cats neutered. Years ago - our next door neighbours (rented property) moved and left their mother and kittens in a cardboard box in the garden. It was days of phoning the letting agency and RSPCA before they came back for them. I often wonder if they just took them somewhere else and abandoned them.

I know it will never happen - but in my perfect world - all cat and dog owners would be licensed before they were allowed to own a pet - and held accountable for their welfare. I know - in my dreams. :rolleyes:

I agree with the reintroduction of dog licensing in the UK , at least it can trace an owner. My worry if we had a blanket licensing of all pets is if it would be done correctly and sypmathetically or would they put some idiot in charge (because sdadly these days any new scheme tends to be implemented badly ) who had certain ideas of where pet can live and would implement them, and would that then end up preventing say an eldery person in a one bed flat from having a cat they would nurtture and love because they did not meet the new requirments of some jobsworth who thinks a three bed house and huge garden is the minimum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't say that I got jumped on the other day for joking about cats having servants ! Very sensitive some people on this forum....

thanks for the warning I'll increase security. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caro07 wrote: »
    I hope they were all neutered.

A friend of my mother is known as a "mad cat woman" on my Mum's road because she feeds a few feral cats. But at least she has paid to have them all neutered.

I don't understand why people think that cats should be allowed to roam unhindered, they are the only pets who are still allowed to do so.

Absolutely all my animals were and are neutered at the appropriate time except one our late Rosie chi who sadly died from a female cancer we could have avoided if we had her neutered. So yes we wouldn't dream of not neutering.