Options

Cradle to the grave - Peter Kay's new comedy

Comments

• Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Fortunately he is no such thing which for me would make the programme unwatchable. Not a fan of his.

At the moment the focus is more on Fred than it is on Danny - I suspect that will change once Danny starts working in the record shop (hope that's not a spoiler!)
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    SgtRock wrote: »
    At the moment the focus is more on Fred than it is on Danny - I suspect that will change once Danny starts working in the record shop (hope that's not a spoiler!)

I was hoping we wouldn't get to that point until at least a second series He hasn't even been shot in the arse yet, so no need to see him suffering his mother's over-zealous washing for a while yet!
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,186
    Forum Member
    I thought episode 2 had a good start but then tailed off in the second half. Not sure what Fred and Bet going to the ball and then walking out achieved- it's wasn't actually particularly funny, and it wasn't in the book so it was made up. They could have at least made the ending hunourous rather than slightly tragic.

The Danny story was good, the highlight being the sex education class (great to see Tim Key in the role of Danny's science teacher, although all the way through his scenes I kept chuckling away remembering his Sidekick Simon sketches on Alan Partridge's Mid Morning Matters).

All in all, an ok episode, and probably a bit better than last week's. Still plenty of room for improvement.
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying the bit at the ball was made up or not but just because it wasn't in the book doesn't mean it definitely is. He couldn't fit everything that happened in his early life in one book. And when I was watching it the scene felt familiar, so maybe Danny has talked about it on the radio before.

We won't see him in the record shop I think as every episode is set in the same year 1974, although artistic licence has obviously moved some events from Danny's life from other years around a bit.
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought episode 2 had a good start but then tailed off in the second half. Not sure what Fred and Bet going to the ball and then walking out achieved- it's wasn't actually particularly funny, and it wasn't in the book so it was made up. They could have at least made the ending hunourous rather than slightly tragic.

I actually thought the same about this episode - really dragged a bit towards the end, but a great start with the insurance man and washing machine.
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I dont remember any of this from the book.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,118
    Forum Member
    You seem to be playing Six degrees of separation by new rules that only you know.

Didn't Michael Barrymore come from Bermondsey?

And Danny cold have been 'slapped' across the face by someone who went on to be well known.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too many moaning Minnies and petty armchair warriors on here ! I don't know anything or even care about Danny Baker. I don't have any interest in him whatsoever. I'm tuning in because I love period drama, and what I do love about this programme is the true - to - life portrayal of 70's life. Being a Northerner, the London accent doesn't really matter to me - I think Peter Kay has done a decent job of hiding his strong distinctive Bolton accent anyway ( no easy feat ). The cars, clothing fashions and the décor inside the houses are spot on, and Lucy Speed and Peter Kay work wonderfully together.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    Too many moaning Minnies and petty armchair warriors on here ! I don't know anything or even care about Danny Baker. I don't have any interest in him whatsoever. I'm tuning in because I love period drama, and what I do love about this programme is the true - to - life portrayal of 70's life. Being a Northerner, the London accent doesn't really matter to me - I think Peter Kay has done a decent job of hiding his strong distinctive Bolton accent anyway ( no easy feat ). The cars, clothing fashions and the décor inside the houses are spot on, and Lucy Speed and Peter Kay work wonderfully together.

Agree with this SeasideLady - I missed it last week, but watched last night and I thought it was pretty good. Alright, it's not 'cutting edge' and 'modern' but it's pretty accurate to the 70s as you quite rightly say - and yes, Peter Kay and Lucy Speed are great together.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another cracking episode, firmly established as a 'must-see' for me during the week.

Anyone who grew up in the 70s - even if you were a long way from London - will likely be chortling along with wry smiles, lots of lovely little period references that will be lost on younger viewers.

LIfe just seemed so much more 'real' in the pre-digital era somehow?
  • Options
    CanonMan75CanonMan75 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking the two-man band at the dinner dance was actually Chris Difford and Glen Tilbrook from Squeeze?
  • Options
    ElframoElframo Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking the two-man band at the dinner dance was actually Chris Difford and Glen Tilbrook from Squeeze?

Yes it was...
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Another cracking episode, firmly established as a 'must-see' for me during the week.

Anyone who grew up in the 70s - even if you were a long way from London - will likely be chortling along with wry smiles, lots of lovely little period references that will be lost on younger viewers.

LIfe just seemed so much more 'real' in the pre-digital era somehow?

Agree. It's settling down nicely as a nice mix of broad comedy, social observation and an authentic slice of life in the unjustly much-maligned 1970s. Loving the relationship between Spud and Bet, especially.
  • Options
    opal88opal88 Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the review of this in The Times. Peter Kaye's Cockney accent was described as 'unsatisfactory.' I do love understatement.
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger1 wrote: »
    It is a fantastic reflection of growing up in that era. loved that bottle of wine that someone brought back with them I think everyone had one of them...I was born mid 70s but remember the first time we had spaghetti bolognaise and thinking how cosmopolitan we all were and the first family holiday abroad to majorca in 85 it was a different era back then.

I spend the whole show thinking "I remember that...." The chopper bike, the flares, the long dresses at the dinner & dance, having no problem getting a drink in a pub when clearly under age, the blue eyeshadow, the wine bottles with candles in the top. Love it.
    To have a freezer was the height of sophistication - I remember when we got ours, the neighbours all came to look at it.
  • Options
    simfransimfran Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I was unsure about the first episode because it seemed to be little more than a one-dimensional series of dramatised anecdotes. Enjoyed last night's much more though; they're creating some depth to the characters and a story arc is emerging. And, as others have said, the look and feel is spot on.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people get so hung up on accents. It's a flaming comedy.

And Kay is the best thing in what is turning into a fabulous series.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »
    I'm not saying the bit at the ball was made up or not but just because it wasn't in the book doesn't mean it definitely is. He couldn't fit everything that happened in his early life in one book. And when I was watching it the scene felt familiar, so maybe Danny has talked about it on the radio before.

We won't see him in the record shop I think as every episode is set in the same year 1974, although artistic licence has obviously moved some events from Danny's life from other years around a bit.

A lot of the book was fictional, apparently.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to watch CTTG tonight as daughter recorded it for me and I was shattered last night after coming home from work. I've listened to Danny for years and its great seeing his stories come to life. There's just so many funny ones.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    JBO wrote: »

The ballroom scene did really happen but not to Danny's parents. It was an anecdote sent in by a listener during Danny's infamous podcast days. It's no great surprise, I have always thought that Danny embellishes his anecdotes or even "borrows" them from others but so what.

I'm a big Danny Baker fan and I like Peter Kay too so I wasn't predisposed to dislike the series but still I wasn't sure how it would work. I think it's pretty good. Danny is a year younger than me and I'm from East London rather than "south of the water" but it's bringing back memories that I had completely forgotten e.g. the importance of having turquoise and gold tonics rather than "West Ham colours", and it's good to see Danny's anecdotes brought to life.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    In 40 years time I expect there will be a TV show about life growing up in the 2010s.
    Will there be TV shows in 40 years time ;)
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching it as a standalone program. I'm not interested in Danny Baker.
    I think its funny.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,683
    Forum Member
    Brown sauce, red sauce or no sauce? :p
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Brown sauce, red sauce or no sauce? :p

Brown sauce every single time.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger1 wrote: »
    It is a fantastic reflection of growing up in that era. loved that bottle of wine that someone brought back with them I think everyone had one of them...I was born mid 70s but remember the first time we had spaghetti bolognaise and thinking how cosmopolitan we all were and the first family holiday abroad to majorca in 85 it was a different era back then.

Even in 1985 I hardly knew anyone who went abroad on holiday. There was a girl in my class who went to Majorca every year (her parents were "posh") and we thought it was like going to the moon - the rest of us went to Blackpool, Skegness or Scarborough.