Options

Andre's "suffering"

Comments

• Options
    SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arent the personal stories what really get into peoples heads and get them to act though. ie. Jade Goody and Smear Test numbers going up?

Probably Cyril and perhaps they will make more use of his experience later, who knows. But Andrew isn't very well known outside the viewers of the reality show and Pete's receiving a lot of criticism for featuring him on that. I'd just prefer to give them a chance to get properly up and running before rushing to judgement.

Edited: Sorry Badcat didn't see your post :)
  • Options
    Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    yes, but Jade Goody was very well known wasn't she and it was all over the press.

Peter Andre's brother was not.

To petes entire fanbase he is. And thats surely who they are targetting for this.

But yes they may well use him more, it'll be interesting to see. Good luck to him anyway if he's genuinely doing this for the right reasons and helping people.

IMO, his management needs to see problems before they arise. They seem to always be on the backfoot.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    Lexi, if 99% were aware and taking action there would be no need for the campaign :). I've already said that Cancer Research are the experts and that Pete's role is to raise money to support their Roadshow. The Foundation has only just been launched so from what I can see the current webpage's purpose is simply to announce that, give the essential details and an initial means of donating.

We'll have to see whether they choose to focus on Andrew when fundraising but I agree with previous posters that Pete's name has a greater recognition factor. My interpretation is that the family want to do something positive to honour his memory by helping to spread awareness of the early signs of cancer rather than raise awareness of Andrew's personal story.

Disagee. Most people DO realise how important early detection is, they watch tv, they use the internet, it's the key point on all the cancer charities and advice sites (NHS etc), to go see a doc if you're worried about something. PA is not saying anything new here, just reiterating CR's mantra about the importance of early action.

You have completely missed the point re Andrew. :confused:

It's nothing to do with who has the bigger name, it's nothing whatsoever to do with raising awareness of Andrew's personal story, it's about Andrew having a solid presence on the Foundation 'site' set up in his memory! A totally separate thing from the fundraising. I don't give a shiny one what the Foundation itself is called, that's never been an issue for me, it's about how Andrew and every other member of that family has become invisible so Pete can - whether you want to accept it or not, this is how it looks - yet again take centre stage.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To petes entire fanbase he is. And thats surely who they are targetting for this.

But yes they may well use him more, it'll be interesting to see. Good luck to him anyway if he's genuinely doing this for the right reasons and helping people.

IMO, his management needs to see problems before they arise. They seem to always be on the backfoot.
    He has over 1m twitter followers, over 700k viewers, several thousand readers of his magazine who all know who Andrew is. That's an awful lot of people who could support the campaign. Beyond those fans, Peter Andre is Jordan's ex who loves his children and is a bit of a cheezy joke.

PA's not helping that image by making the foundation all about him, rather than Andrew.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cancer Research website suggests otherwise Lexi.

"Diagnosing cancer in its earlier stages often makes it easier to treat, meaning the chances of recovering are much better.

For example, when bowel cancer is diagnosed at the earliest stage, more than nine out of 10 people survive for at least five years. But fewer than one in 10 people with bowel cancer are diagnosed at the earliest stage."

I'm not suggesting Pete is saying anything new, nor is he claiming to be. Perhaps he went to Cancer Research and said 'what's the best way I can help' and they suggested funding this campaign.

Where exactly is this 'Foundation site set up in Andrew's memory'? I can only see a page on Pete's website announcing the launch of the Foundation.

'Invisible brothers'?

" Losing Andrew has been devastating for me and my family and through my Foundation and your support we can change the odds for people diagnosed with cancer in the future...... I'm so excited about the launch of this Foundation. It means so much to me and my brothers and we'll be doing all that we can to help people understand how important it is to know their body and go straight to the doctor about anything unusual."

And if you care to visit the Just Giving page you'll find pictures of Andrew. Pete is going to be the one invited by the media to publicise the Foundation so naturally he will take centre stage but it's barely a few weeks old so why not wait to see what develops before condemning him?
  • Options
    Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But why on earth would they only be targeting his fanbase?
    Surely the whole point of raising awareness is to spread the message to as many people as possible.
    Having Andrew as the face (and the name) of the campaign would surely give it a far more personal,relateable front than a cheesy orange has-been ever could.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    di60 wrote: »
    I notice you've edited your post ;) perhaps you realise that I DID make it "clear"...

Not for the reasons you think.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Cancer Research website suggests otherwise Lexi.

"Diagnosing cancer in its earlier stages often makes it easier to treat, meaning the chances of recovering are much better.

For example, when bowel cancer is diagnosed at the earliest stage, more than nine out of 10 people survive for at least five years. But fewer than one in 10 people with bowel cancer are diagnosed at the earliest stage."

I'm not suggesting Pete is saying anything new, nor is he claiming to be. Perhaps he went to Cancer Research and said 'what's the best way I can help' and they suggested funding this campaign.

Where exactly is this 'Foundation site set up in Andrew's memory'? I can only see a page on Pete's website announcing the launch of the Foundation.

'Invisible brothers'?

" Losing Andrew has been devastating for me and my family and through my Foundation and your support we can change the odds for people diagnosed with cancer in the future...... I'm so excited about the launch of this Foundation. It means so much to me and my brothers and we'll be doing all that we can to help people understand how important it is to know their body and go straight to the doctor about anything unusual."

And if you care to visit the Just Giving page you'll find pictures of Andrew. Pete is going to be the one invited by the media to publicise the Foundation so naturally he will take centre stage but it's barely a few weeks old so why not wait to see what develops before condemning him?

No offence, Sensei, but there's no point in responding to most of that since it's just going over (and over) old ground. We won't agree so let's just cut our losses, eh. :)

One thing though, there's a big difference between knowing that early detection is paramount and actually acting on that knowledge. I believe most people, in 2013, know this, so my point stands. Fear is what stops people going to their docs, not lack of knowledge (possibly even an overload of knowledge?) in many cases. Taking the fear away is just as big a challenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    No offence, Sensei, but there's no point in responding to most of that since it's just going over (and over) old ground. We won't agree so let's just cut our losses, eh. :)

One thing though, there's a big difference between knowing that early detection is paramount and actually acting on that knowledge. I believe most people, in 2013, know this, so my point stands. Fear is what stops people going to their docs, not lack of knowledge (possibly even an overload of knowledge?) in many cases. Taking the fear away is just as big a challenge.

None taken Lexi (though you are describing most of these threads ;)) :) As for the fear factor - that's the whole point of the mobile units because they make acting easier and are designed to be less daunting than making an appointment to see your GP. But let's leave it there ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will when I see him do something that isn't about HIM ... Anyone can set up a foundation.. Ronan Keating did a walk through Ireland to a...Raise awareness
    b...raise money

Disclaimer : this is not just about PA

But I am no fan of any celeb who just puts their name to a charity or foundation and then does nothing themselves to raise money.. Or awareness for the charity they are the face of
    He's done quite a lot for charity, as I've already stated and linked to.
    Precisely.
    I just can't understand how anyone can even attempt to justify why the foundation wasn't named after Andrew.
    As a previous poster pointed out, the charity Ronan Keating set up is named after his mother.
    I am assuming that she wasn't famous or well known - as far as I'm aware she hadn't been featured in a "Ronan Keating My Tawdry Life"-type programme.
    People who were already aware of Andrew Andre may well have been MORE inclined to donate to the charity set up in his honour and his name.
    It would have been just as easy for PA to publicise the charity if it was called after Andrew.
    Many people would actually have preferred to donate to Andrew's charity than one named after PA - by all accounts Andrew was a very likeable guy and HIS story should have been at the forefront.
    But no, it just had to be named after the "internationally renowned megastar" PA.:rolleyes:
    He's NOT publicising the charity.
    He's publicising himself.
    Yet still, most people won't have a clue who Ronan Keatings mother it. I can't remember her name now!

Sensei, there's 'brief' and then there's practically invisible!
    Well I've seen it.
    From a fundraising perspective, it lacks the personal component. We should know, at absolute minimum, from visiting that page, who Andrew was, how old he was, when he died and the type of cancer he had. It's a crucial part of engaging people, to see the person behind the Foundation. As I said earlier, it would have been so easy to provide that snapshot of Andrew as the intro, followed by details of what PA's focusing on, followed by the links, without it taking up any more space.
    Pete doesn't need to get key points across, no one is dependant upon PA to tell them what 99% of the population already knows about cancer's lack of discrimination and how early detection is paramount - that's what Cancer Research is for. Pete just needs to focus on what he's doing and why he's doing it - Andrew - and leave the educating to those who can.

It's just very poorly thought through imo. Which is a shame because it would take so little to make it right.
    Since he's doing it all wrong in your opinion, what do you think he should be doing?
    Disagee. Most people DO realise how important early detection is, they watch tv, they use the internet, it's the key point on all the cancer charities and advice sites (NHS etc), to go see a doc if you're worried about something. PA is not saying anything new here, just reiterating CR's mantra about the importance of early action.

You have completely missed the point re Andrew. :confused:

It's nothing to do with who has the bigger name, it's nothing whatsoever to do with raising awareness of Andrew's personal story, it's about Andrew having a solid presence on the Foundation 'site' set up in his memory! A totally separate thing from the fundraising. I don't give a shiny one what the Foundation itself is called, that's never been an issue for me, it's about how Andrew and every other member of that family has become invisible so Pete can - whether you want to accept it or not, this is how it looks - yet again take centre stage.
    Andrew was featured in his reality show. It's all still there to see. And he has been named as being the inspiration. I think if he'd gone any further he would have been lynched for that. Just look at the comments on here about how selfish he is, when he's doing, and has done in the past a lot for different charities, and most people didn't know that.
    ANY charity effort should be commended, not slated.
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig
    So has his former wife but that cuts no ice with some.. She gets slated no matter what she does for charity

Disclaimer : I am aware this is a PA thread.. Before I get told off :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None taken Lexi (though you are describing most of these threads ;)) :) As for the fear factor - that's the whole point of the mobile units because they make acting easier and are designed to be less daunting than making an appointment to see your GP. But let's leave it there ...

^^ 'Tis true! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marie Keating foundation ..Ronans mum
  • Options
    Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »

Yet still, most people won't have a clue who Ronan Keatings mother it. I can't remember her name now!

Well I've seen it.

Since he's doing it all wrong in your opinion, what do you think he should be doing?

Andrew was featured in his reality show. It's all still there to see. And he has been named as being the inspiration. I think if he'd gone any further he would have been lynched for that. Just look at the comments on here about how selfish he is, when he's doing, and has done in the past a lot for different charities, and most people didn't know that.
    ANY charity effort should be commended, not slated.

How convenient.:rolleyes:
    Although I'd hazard a guess that's more down to you than any failing on the part of her excellent charity.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

*snip*

QUOTE]

just to jog your memory, her name was Marie Keating, I don't know much about Ronan but I do remember the name of the foundation he set up in his mothers name with the rest of his family. I remember him on TV giving information on the foundation and what it did and how people could get involved at the time.

http://www.mariekeating.ie/our-history-.asp#page

EDIT: I messed up with the quotes:):o oops just seen its already been replied to whilst I was messing about trying to get the quotes right
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    He has over 1m twitter followers, over 700k viewers, several thousand readers of his magazine who all know who Andrew is. That's an awful lot of people who could support the campaign. Beyond those fans, Peter Andre is Jordan's ex who loves his children and is a bit of a cheezy joke.

PA's not helping that image by making the foundation all about him, rather than Andrew.

Yes agreed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig
    So has his former wife but that cuts no ice with some.. She gets slated no matter what she does for charity
    Disclaimer : I am aware this is a PA thread.. Before I get told off :rolleyes:

I know she does charity work relating to Harvey's conditions, does she help any other charities?
    How convenient.:rolleyes:
    Although I'd hazard a guess that's more down to you than any failing on the part of her excellent charity.
    Why are you rolling your eyes and being rude?
    Since you didn't write her name in your entire post where you mentioned her as 'she' about 3 times, I'll assume it slipped your memory too.:p I don't know about convenient or whether it's an excellent charity. I would hazard a guess that most people don't know who she it. So it must be all our fault.

cazzz wrote: »

just to jog your memory, her name was Marie Keating, I don't know much about Ronan but I do remember the name of the foundation he set up in his mothers name with the rest of his family. I remember him on TV giving information on the foundation and what it did and how people could get involved at the time.

http://www.mariekeating.ie/our-history-.asp#page

EDIT: I messed up with the quotes:):o oops just seen its already been replied to whilst I was messing about trying to get the quotes right

And I don't remember him being on TV giving information about it, because I didn't see it, and I won't be in the minority there. And I know nothing of Ronan Keating, but I assume he has some fans who will know. Also, if I heard of the 'Marie Keating Foundation' I wouldn't have linked it to Ronan.
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as i can't stand Ronan Keating, he and his family and supporters have done colossal work over the last few years for the Marie Keating Foundation. It has helped a lot of Irish people and is one of the most well known charities here due to the hard work of people involved with it.

It takes more than a Justgiving.com page and some shameless (shameful?) self promotion to keep a pledge to raise half a million a year. From the looks of his page, it's not even a proper "Foundation". There's no charity reg number, registered address, in fact anything that makes it look legit. The Justgiving page can be set up by anyone to associate with a proper charity - I had one myself, but I wasn't so self absorbed that i called it the Nota Typo Foundation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why on earth would they only be targeting his fanbase?
    Surely the whole point of raising awareness is to spread the message to as many people as possible.
    Having Andrew as the face (and the name) of the campaign would surely give it a far more personal,relateable front than a cheesy orange has-been ever could.

It would indeed.

But obviously the main focus of working with Andre publicity wise will be to reach his fans, since they are the ones first and foremost who will know who Andrew is, support any PA efforts (however crass) and anyone else who they can reach out to is a bonus.

It all goes back to this image they have created with pete - caring family guy, kids, bit hopeless, soldiers on, not bad looking. You can imagine the middle aged housewife or the single (or boring relationship) mum caring enough to get involved. But it does need to be about him telling Andrews story and getting Andrews story out there.

Its a very lucrative image - its got him Makeover now, and i'm suprised hes not doing the Daz adverts or um Kleenex
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig
    She supports quite a few but her main one is vision .. Which she and her family raise money all year round ..with sponsored runs and events the charity holds

Also re Ronan Keating mothers foundation MARIE KEATING FOUNDATION ... I have seen Ronan on a few things over the years raising awareness and I remember Ronan doing a sponsored walk across Ireland to raise money and awareness
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizgig
    She supports quite a few but her main one is vision .. Which she and her family raise money all year round ..with sponsored runs and events the charity holds

Also re Ronan Keating mothers foundation MARIE KEATING FOUNDATION ... I have seen Ronan on a few things over the years raising awareness and I remember Ronan doing a sponsored walk across Ireland to raise money and awareness

If PA mainly did one that was to do with his own child, he would be slated for being selfish on here, if nowhere else. I remember someone saying he'd only do something if it was his own back yard. He's getting slated now & he's done loads inc the Zanzibar one.
    In fact, when he came 3rd in 'I'm a Celebrity' he donated his substantial winnings of £215,000 to the NSPCC. How many people knew that?

I've seen Ronan on nothing, which may be why I didn't know of the charity.
    I don't see why it matters what it's called as long as he's doing something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and when Mysterious Girl was re-released, part of the royalties were donated to the NSPCC.
    Me me me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry Fizgig but I think supporting a charity that actually means something to you is very important ...
    We don't need to make it into a contest.. I don't care how many they both support..I still don't think his foundation should of been named after himself ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry Fizgig but I think supporting a charity that actually means something to you is very important ...
    We don't need to make it into a contest.. I don't care how many they both support..I still don't think his foundation should of been named after himself ..

Supporting any charity is important. Yet people are desperate to put a negative spin on it when it's PA.
    I think it will do better with his own name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supporting any charity is important. Yet people are desperate to put a negative spin on it when it's PA.
    I think it will do better with his own name.

I think we will have to agree to disagree otherwise we will just go round n round in circles...I don't fancy getting dizzy do you ;)
This discussion has been closed.