Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Carry On Cowboy is on television on Sunday 28.7.2013

Carry On Cowboy - the eleventh Carry On film - is on ITV 3 today (Sunday 28.7.2013) from 3.15 pm to 5.10 pm.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a Carry On film but another chance to see the lovely Joan Sims, in probably not one of her last acting roles, in Only Fools And Horses.
    A late notice I admit :o as I'm watching the episode now on UK GOLD, but those of you who have Sky/Virgin can view it at 1320hrs on UK GOLD +1 or look up the episode name ("The Frog's Legacy") online. :)
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carry On Up The Khyber is on television on Thursday 25.7.2013

Carry On Up The Khyber - the sixteenth Carry On film and a favourite of many Carry On fans - is on Channel 4/Channel Four HD today (Thursday 25.7.2013) from 1.25 pm to 3.10 pm (from 2.25 pm today on Channel Four +1).

Tied with 'Cleo' as my favourite of the series, but the Dinner scene at the end is just about the greatest thing 'Carry On....' ever did. It's wonderful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Terry Telly wrote: ...Carry On Up The Khyber - the sixteenth Carry On film and a favourite of many Carry On fans....
    Gulftastic wrote: Tied with 'Cleo' as my favourite of the series, but the Dinner scene at the end is just about the greatest thing 'Carry On....' ever did. It's wonderful.

Yes, it's very funny.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Cowboy is on television on Saturday 3.8.2013

Carry On Cowboy - the eleventh Carry On film - is on ITV 3 now (Saturday 3.8.2013) until 8.50 am (it has just started on ITV 3 +1 where it finishes at 9.50 am).
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Tied with 'Cleo' as my favourite of the series, but the Dinner scene at the end is just about the greatest thing 'Carry On....' ever did. It's wonderful.

Are you me?

• Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Girls is on television on Sunday 4.8.2013

Carry On Girls - the twenty-fifth Carry On film - is on ITV 3 today (Sunday 4.8.2013) from 3 pm to 4.45 pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Happy Birthday on 6th August to a great Carry On star

Happy Birthday today (6th August) to a great Carry On star: Barbara Windsor.

Barbara is to appear in an episode of Eastenders soon, three years after leaving the BBC television series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Regardless is on television on Wednesday 7.8.2013

Carry On Regardless - the fifth Carry On film - is on More 4 now (Wednesday 7.8.2013 from 11.40 am to 1.30 pm).
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry On Regardless is on television on Wednesday 7.8.2013

Carry On Regardless - the fifth Carry On film - is on More 4 now (Wednesday 7.8.2013 from 11.40 am to 1.30 pm).

IMO, the very best of the early Carry Ons, despite the continuous presence of the rather tedious Stanley Unwin.
    It includes, in a small role, the should've-been-a-Carry-On-regular-but-never-was Betty Marsden who is brilliant, as always.
  • Options
    peter_jenkins2peter_jenkins2 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    At last Studio Canal are going to start releasing their Carry On films on Bluray.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carry-Screaming-Blu-ray-Harry-Corbett/dp/B00ECVPO72/zetaminor-21

I would expect that price of £22.99 to drop by quite a bit before the actual release . Since Play.com stopped supplying Amazon have made a habit of listing pre-orders at stupidly high prices

It's a shame that ITV are not remastering theirs for HD .
  • Options
    peter_jenkins2peter_jenkins2 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    crunchie wrote: »

I was just going to post a link to Sainsburys where its £15.99 but the hut is even cheaper - good stuff. Partner company Zavvi also at £14.99
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame I missed it! Hopefully they'll repeat it again in the next few days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At last Studio Canal are going to start releasing their Carry On films on Bluray....It's a shame that ITV are not remastering theirs for HD .

Carry On Screaming (mentioned in a link in your posting number 2462 to this thread) has been shown twice in HD on ITV 1 HD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Girls is on television on Saturday 10.8.2013

Carry On Girls - the twenty-fifth Carry On film - is on ITV 3 today (Saturday 10.8.2013) from 6.50 am to 8.35 am (from 7.50 am on ITV 3 +1) .
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last Studio Canal are going to start releasing their Carry On films on Bluray.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carry-Screaming-Blu-ray-Harry-Corbett/dp/B00ECVPO72/zetaminor-21

I would expect that price of £22.99 to drop by quite a bit before the actual release . Since Play.com stopped supplying Amazon have made a habit of listing pre-orders at stupidly high prices

Great news. Hope they do a proper quality transfer and not just a dvd to blu ray rip which a lot of older films get.
  • Options
    majorgartmajorgart Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Great news. Hope they do a proper quality transfer and not just a dvd to blu ray rip which a lot of older films get.
    That's an interesting theory .
    However , as a collector of old movies on Bluray I don't believe there are any that are simply standard def masters transferred to Bluray.
    Some films could be better admittedly but this is usually because those that create the HD masters for Bluray will often use tricks to reduce grain , which also reduces detail aswell as other non essential digital tricks to try and improve the picture.

I did hear about a tv movie - possibly Airwolf that may have not been HD but cinema films or other movies shot on 35mm or 16mm will always be better quality than dvd.

Regarding Carry On Screaming - the broadcasts by ITV prove that Studio Canal have created a genuine HD master for the film ( aswell as the other colour Carry On films they own) so the Bluray should be a treat.
    Screaming is possibly the one with the most spectacle and colourful scenes that will benefit from HD although Jack would be nice too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Carry On Teacher is on television on Monday 12.8.2013

Carry On Teacher - the third Carry On film - is on FIlm 4 today (Monday 12.8.2013) from 5.05 pm to 6.50 pm.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

crunchie wrote: »

I shan't be bothering with Bluray. I've got it all on DVD and am not too fussed about picture quality, etc.

I use this website for price comparisons, and they seem to be able to undercut the originally quoted price for the C.O blurays: http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/blu-ray/Carry-On-Screaming/1123997.htm
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,593
    Forum Member
    Carry On Cabby on C4 now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Carry On Cabby on C4 now :D

Got it on now on Channel 4 + 1 (where it finishes at 4.10 pm)

The seventh Carry On film and one of the best. Hattie and Sid are just right for the roles.

:cool:
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,593
    Forum Member

Got it on now on Channel 4 + 1 (where it finishes at 4.10 pm)

The seventh Carry On film and one of the best. Hattie and Sid are just right for the roles.

I love the cars they were using for Glam Cabs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I love the cars they were using for Glam Cabs.

The BBC 'Hattie' drama (about Carry On legend Hattie Jacques) showed what the cars would have looked like in colour.

• Options
    majorgartmajorgart Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    I shan't be bothering with Bluray. I've got it all on DVD and am not too fussed about picture quality, etc.

I use this website for price comparisons, and they seem to be able to undercut the originally quoted price for the C.O blurays: http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/blu-ray/Carry-On-Screaming/1123997.htm
    Admittedly many of the Carry On films don't need a Bluray but the set design alone makes Carry On Screaming the best candidate for a great HD experience .

The historical and costume entries would look the best - fortunately they are my least favourites so unless we get a complete boxset I'll be happy with just Screaming ( shame Spying is not in colour)