Options

"the bible is wrong"

Comments

• Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Doesn't really change anything that most people already know. Even in Catholic High School, 30 years ago, we were taught that Creationism is scientifically unsound and the Bible is largely metaphor.

Nobody had even heard of Creationism when I was forced to go to Sunday school and Darwin never got a mention. Him and jesus used to live happily side by side :)

.....it's just another sh*te fundamentalist American import that we should just ignore and not give any credence to.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmm, I've never seen that site before. It's kinda interesting perhaps to some but also seems rather far fetched IMO.

But some say there was a more advanced civilisation on Earth about 100 thousand years ago but the advancement was lost through selfishness. It's such a long time ago I read about it that I don't remember all the details. ;-)
  • Options
    VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've never been aware of the anti-creationist argument "dinosaurs" before?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    The bible is fiction.

The Bible is a library of all kinds of books. It includes, for example, law books, genealogical tables, poetry, philosophy, collections of wise sayings etc. None of these lend themselves very well to the description 'fiction'.

Re. Genesis Ch 1 and the creation myth, it seems a bit shallow to say it is 'wrong'. Writings are not divided into 'science' and 'wrong'. It is actually a glorious piece of writing, and surprisingly good at getting the general pattern of the development of life on earth into a rational order. Personally I think the Bible goes sharply downhill after Genesis 1, for quite a time, as other writers with a less magnificent style butt in with their less impressive stories.

Nearly all cultures have a creatiion myth. There is something moving about the ancient stories that have been handed down from generation to generation since long before the written word. The Jewish one that we have inherited is nice and simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's one of the sillier things that the Bible propounds. A bit like this "created man in his own image" shtick.

F'rinstance..... If God is perfect and created man in his own image, then he must have all the same bodily features as any human being and being perfect, humankind must be the ultimate design for a living entity.

But when man wanted to create a means of travelling long distances quickly and with minimum effort, he invented the wheel, which looks nothing like a leg.

This is the sort of thing that makes the Bible absurd and non-believable.

What if humanity as a whole is God and therefore, God did make the Earth as it's all down to us? That would also account for "In God's own image" :)
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't think human nature has changed much since biblical times. in that respect, it is still relevant.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    The bible is fiction.
    ..... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Exactly. :cool:
  • Options
    Black CloudBlack Cloud Posts: 7,057
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    10,000 years ago? I thought people who believe/strictly believe the Bible believe that Earth is only 6,000 years old?

This is where it come from and it requires quite a few assumptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ussher_chronology
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's Carl Sagan to explain: https://youtu.be/DI9ImScQGAo
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    The Bible is a library of all kinds of books. It includes, for example, law books, genealogical tables, poetry, philosophy, collections of wise sayings etc. None of these lend themselves very well to the description 'fiction'.

Re. Genesis Ch 1 and the creation myth, it seems a bit shallow to say it is 'wrong'. Writings are not divided into 'science' and 'wrong'. It is actually a glorious piece of writing, and surprisingly good at getting the general pattern of the development of life on earth into a rational order. Personally I think the Bible goes sharply downhill after Genesis 1, for quite a time, as other writers with a less magnificent style butt in with their less impressive stories.

Nearly all cultures have a creatiion myth. There is something moving about the ancient stories that have been handed down from generation to generation since long before the written word. The Jewish one that we have inherited is nice and simple.

I think I would describe some of Genesis as glorious writing. As a creation myth it basically scales down the real awesomeness of the origins of the Universe to proportions that uneducated humans could cope with.

If parts of it are 'glorious' they are no where near as glorious as the reality.
  • Options
    j0annej0anne Posts: 2,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not into the bible / church thing on any level under any guise of whatever name people want to label themselves as, however i am spiritual and belive in there being more and the goodness of humanity is within us all and how you behave treat people is what counts just the effort to try and do the right if decent thing is what counts.

So for me the bible is interesting but not the be all and end all come to that any other religious spouting so which are equally as contradictory

Dyslexic i struggle to get it down here sorry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j0anne wrote: »
    Not into the bible / church thing on any level under any guise of whatever name people want to label themselves as, however i am spiritual and belive in there being more and the goodness of humanity is within us all and how you behave treat people is what counts just the effort to try and do the right if decent thing is what counts.

So for me the bible is interesting but not the be all and end all come to that any other religious spouting so which are equally as contradictory

Dyslexic i struggle to get it down here sorry

I agree. No book is the be all and end all of everything or anything. :)
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But when man wanted to create a means of travelling long distances quickly and with minimum effort, he invented the wheel, which looks nothing like a leg.

Wheels are useless without nice flat roads. They are also tricky on inclines as they tend to run away downhill unless you also invent disk-brakes at the same time.

Legs are far more versatile. (And eliminate those tricky bio-engineering problems you'd have with freely rotating wheels.) BTW when we want to travel long distances quickly, we fly...
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Which explains about 0.01% of it (more like 0.0001% IMO). Sure, once you already have a species, with everthing necessary for life and the means of propagating that species already in place, then evolution can come into play. But the hard work has already been done!

You might want to read up on the basic formation of life, judging by that reply.

I do not have a problem that under certain conditions molecules/atoms can combine into proteins and amino acids that make the basis of simple life. And so it goes on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's Carl Sagan to explain: https://youtu.be/DI9ImScQGAo

its about time Carl Sagan explained why he disrespected Immanual Velikovsky.

The truth is out there. Sagan will become an irrelevant luddite footnote in due course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    its about time Carl Sagan explained why he disrespected Immanual Velikovsky.

The truth is out there. Sagan will become an irrelevant luddite footnote in due course.

There could be a slight problem there.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Wheels are useless without nice flat roads. They are also tricky on inclines as they tend to run away downhill unless you also invent disk-brakes at the same time.

Legs are far more versatile. (And eliminate those tricky bio-engineering problems you'd have with freely rotating wheels.) BTW when we want to travel long distances quickly, we fly...

Am I really reading this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_tire
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

Why not it was a coherent and well reasoned post that demonstrated an understanding of biological evolution.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    I think I would describe some of Genesis as glorious writing. As a creation myth it basically scales down the real awesomeness of the origins of the Universe to proportions that uneducated humans could cope with.

If parts of it are 'glorious' they are no where near as glorious as the reality.

I singled out Genesis Ch 1, not the whole book. Chapter 1 is a kind of mystical poem and very beautiful. After that we get some pretty prosaic stuff, including what you might call adult themes of a rather yukky nature. But I agree, on the whole. The universe is bigger and stranger than people could possibly have imagined back then.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Atlantis came a-cropper because Yog-Sothoth escaped from his pyramid and sank the joint?
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I thought Atlantis came a-cropper because Yog-Sothoth escaped from his pyramid and sank the joint?
    Atlantis came a cropper when the BBC cancelled series 3 & stopped showing series 2 halfway through.
  • Options
    lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I singled out Genesis Ch 1, not the whole book. Chapter 1 is a kind of mystical poem and very beautiful. After that we get some pretty prosaic stuff, including what you might call adult themes of a rather yukky nature. But I agree, on the whole. The universe is bigger and stranger than people could possibly have imagined back then.

Yukky? Is there a bit of arse action in there?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    10,000 years ago? I thought people who believe/strictly believe the Bible believe that Earth is only 6,000 years old?
    6,019 years now. :)
    The bible is fiction.
    See below
    Correct but I would have to say that the genealogical tables are a bit suspect.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where has the OP been for the last 150 years if all this is new to him.
    Wake up at the back!!!!!
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    The Bible is a work of fiction, along with the koran , Humpty Dumpty and the Mr men.