It is for guitarists !!

Guitarists have their own sharp symbol? :confused:

Sharp: ♯
    Hash: #
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah it never actually occurred to me that kids these days might think twitter invented the # symbol!!!!

Obviously its been used in computers for other reasons for decades, not to mention telephone keypads!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Woah it never actually occurred to me that kids these days might think twitter invented the # symbol!!!!

Obviously its been used in computers for other reasons for decades, not to mention telephone keypads!

And typewriters before that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »

So all these rude know it all people are ignorant, ha
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ironically, hash browns don't usually look like a hash, whereas potato waffles do. A bit.
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago, when I was being told about how to pick up a phone call in the office, I was never sure if they said "hash-zero" or "hatch-zero" (or whatever it was). Similarly, when you get those criss-cross markings in the road, I was never sure if people were calling it "hatching" or "hashing". Truth be told, I'm not sure they were always 100% sure themselves, with one just being a tiled version of the other.. Now, anyway, perhaps largely thanks to Twitter, it seems to have settled down to a much more confident hash for phones etc and hatch for roads.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did the £ originally (in fact, both symbols are bastardisations of "Lb") - it was the value of one lb of sterling silver.

Sorry but it wasn't, the old money was £.S.D. or L.S.D. which came from the old Latin monetary system of Librae, Solidi, and Denari. which existed from Roman times up to the 20th century.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was an allusion to the fact that many guitarists can't read music and just type the lyrics with the chord changes above the word.
    You probably need to have been in a band or music group to appreciate this!
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did people ever use hashtags before social media was created?

It's because when the hash symbol first came into being they knew they had to be ready for when Twitter would eventually be created many decades in the future. So they had the foresight to be prepared and created the hash symbol many decades in advance.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    wackyw wrote: »
    Although the kids have moved on to $( ) ..

So has this grown up. :D

octothorpetag bash
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because when the hash symbol first came into being they knew they had to be ready for when Twitter would eventually be created many decades in the future. So they had the foresight to be prepared and created the hash symbol many decades in advance.

Stoatie already did that in #40.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In medicine the sign is used to mean fracture
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter did not invent the hashtag as a character, but not sure about using it for keyword searching. Will have to look that up.

As a side note, the # is also used in CSS for defining colour codes, like #000000 (black).

Edit: so that may answer your question, it's on keyboards before social media for use in programming (and other things like lists probably).

Edit 2: May want to have a look at the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_symbol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    It is for guitarists !!

Well as a guitarist, I can tell you that we're not some special category of musician that gets our own version of the sharp sign. Go look it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    It was an allusion to the fact that many guitarists can't read music and just type the lyrics with the chord changes above the word.
    You probably need to have been in a band or music group to appreciate this!

Guitar is a highly unusual instrument though in that it's possible to play the same note in a number of different places on the fretboard. That's why guitar has the additional system of tablature, to specify where on the fretboard you should play the note. Piano is a similar situation in that it's possible to play more than one note at a time, but because piano only has one way of playing each note, piano players still use the treble and bass clefs because the notation is unambiguous. For guitarists, it's still not clear - hence tablature. It's not so much a case of guitarists not being able to read music as reading music not being sufficient for a guitar player. Although I read music and so do almost all of the guitarists I know so not sure how accurate your statement is in the first place.