Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crap.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Rooney is going to be the main man this season we won't even finish in the top 4
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to have a lovely day at work tomorrow taking the Michael out of Chelsea and Liverpool fans.

Crap

The only saving grace is that we didn't get beaten at home like them.
    Rooney wanted at least another 30 minutes to shoot that.

After doing such superb work to create the chance as well. His longest dry spell for United in the prem. Charlton's record is looking light years away right now......
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,536
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Too many people took the Brugges result at face value. I suspect the team did too.

Depay is weak and ineffective in the Premier League so far - Rooney too dawdling on the ball.

As expected, Fellaini on just invites long ball after long ball.

Romero with terrible kicking and goes scarily wooly once the defence parts.

Two holding midfielders is just so safe, dreary and slow.

Another excruciating watch.

Thanks for thoughtfully breaking down my feelings, which otherwise would have been summed up as "total crap"
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,543
    Forum Member
    If Moyes was in charge of that performance he would rightly be taking a hammering.

Team should be sitting on maximum points if they have an aspirations for a title challenge. Dropping points away to Swansea and at home to Newcastle shows no improvement on the last two seasons.

Zero pace or creativity on the ball for almost the entire match. And once Fellaini went in there was only ever one plan.
  • Options
    Simon1984Simon1984 Posts: 5,792
    Forum Member
    Clearly need a couple of top quality attacking players after that performance.

Romero beginning to show his true colours, you just know De Gea would've saved that second goal with his legs, Romero was hesitant.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Strong team well capable of winning this one. It could be a real test for Romero though.

Test failed.

Only consolation is that Swansea have become a bit of a bogey team... and it's early season when there are always a few 'lower' teams that come flying out of the blocks, Swansea are a prime example of that.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toastie15 wrote: »
    If Rooney is going to be the main man this season we won't even finish in the top 4

He is a problem that we seem to be stuck with for a while longer, he certainly needs to improve, but can he, that is the key thing, I am doubtful about it.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They deserved nothing out of this game. Result was fitting.

Fully agree. They have a gameplan that works for them, we don't. In terms of the style of play and the personnel we're coming up short.

If we want Rooney to play well we have to play him with another striker, but to do that we'll have to sacrifice one of the holding mfs. It's that or bring a striker who is more able to play in this system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zero pace or creativity on the ball for almost the entire match. And once Fellaini went in there was only ever one plan.

It is so pedestrian to watch, this should not be what we are about.
    Pace, trickery, and goals is what our heritage as a club is, at the moment, we have very little of either, and that is not right at all.

And we should be better than using the tactic of "kick it long to the big man" with Fellaini in the team.

So much is just not right at the moment.

I am most certainly not a happy bunny with how things are panning out.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,991
    Forum Member
    Not good enough at all, we are miles off winning or probably even challenging for the league title or the Champions League, changes need to be made and drastically. Romero isn't good enough he should of saved the second goal, Rooney was terrible again and we never looked like scoring apart from the goal which in my opinion we only got because Swansea failed to deal with Shaw's Cross, more often than not that sort of delivery would of been cleared. Today was our first real test of the season and we failed miserably, really angry right now, we have spent a stupid amount of money since Sir Alex left and we are nowhere nearer challenging for the league than when he left. We desperately need a striker but i doubt we will get one, i feel we are heading for another season of mediocrity.
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two days until the deadline but once again I ask the question, what good are new signings when the biggest issue is the tactics and mentality?

Hoof it up to Fellaini isn't really all that different to putting in 84 crosses. The players already at the club should be doing better and are capable of more.
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once again lacking big time in the final third.

Rooney is a terrible striker. He lacks pace, his hold up play is poor, his touches are too heavy more often than not and his passes are not as good as they once were. MUST get someone else in. How much time does he need to take a shot ffs?

Mata is so hit and miss, he's incredibly frustrating. Yeah he scored but I wasn't impressed by his over all performance level.

Once again too many players want to be central so we had little width until Young came on.

Herrera was mediocre in a league match again which is why he doesn't start.

Our best team according to people on here pre match, worrying indeed if that's true.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    If Moyes was in charge of that performance he would rightly be taking a hammering.

Team should be sitting on maximum points if they have an aspirations for a title challenge. Dropping points away to Swansea and at home to Newcastle shows no improvement on the last two seasons.

Last time you beat us was the opening day thrashing under Moyes :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fully agree. They have a gameplan that works for them, we don't. In terms of the style of play and the personnel we're coming up short.

If we want Rooney to play well we have to play him with another striker, but to do that we'll have to sacrifice one of the holding mfs. It's that or bring a striker who is more able to play in this system.

Yes, our gameplan just seems to be pass, pass, and pass some more without actually trying to hurt the opposition.

Rooney is not a central striker, I think that has been demonstrated fully recently, but until we sign one, (seeing as Hernandez might be off) then we are stuck with playing him in that role.

We need to be active on the market before the window closes, and sign a competent striker, because what we have currently is not good enough for either the way we play, or for our targets this season.
    If we don't, then this could be another long season.
  • Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney has always been better at number 10 not as the only striker, woeful
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    love Liverpool fans mocking us when they got hammered 3-0 at home to west ham!

Depay dosent belong in a united shirt.
    Rooney 3 good chances and failed to hit the bloody shot.
    Romero making a rookie mistake for a world cup final keeper.

Personally apart from possession LVG is no different to moyes expect he has spent huge amounts and upset players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two days until the deadline but once again I ask the question, what good are new signings when the biggest issue is the tactics and mentality?

Hoof it up to Fellaini isn't really all that different to putting in 84 crosses. The players already at the club should be doing better and are capable of more.

What good would new signings be you ask, well for starters, if any new signing is better than Rooney, then we might stand half a chance of scoring a goal more often than we currently look like doing.
    So that would be a positive thing.

Yes the tactics and philosophy are all wrong, but at least if we had a potent striker, then that would help us out.

Our best team according to people on here pre match, worrying indeed if that's true.

That is the worrying thing, that apart from De Gea, that was pretty much our best outfield team, and that goes to show how much more we still need to improve.

Perhaps Rojo in for Blind, might be the only change that could be argued about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time you beat us was the opening day thrashing under Moyes :D

Yes indeed, and that is full credit to you.

Well done on the result today, you deserved it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a golden opportunity missed that was.

This hurts more I think precisely because of the results yesterday.

The team and the manager have a lot of tough questions to answer after today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy that we're here after spending so much still needing about 4/5 players to even consider being title challengers.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Crazy that we're here after spending so much still needing about 4/5 players to even consider being title challengers.

yeah I know it means panix buys now and prices are going to be pushed up too.

GK, CB, RW and striker for me, need to be experienced or at least willing to give it everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a golden opportunity missed that was.

This hurts more I think precisely because of the results yesterday.

The team and the manager have a lot of tough questions to answer after today.

I don't think the context of this defeat matters as much as you keep saying.

We have plenty of time to make up the gap between us and City (it's August!!!) and we're above all the other top sides.

The real issue here is that we're not looking anything like a side that can make a decent title challenge.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    homer2012 wrote: »
    yeah I know it means panix buys now and prices are going to be pushed up too..

One day 23 hours 34 minutes to the deadline... and counting.

Busy two days for EW and LVG coming up... I hope!
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think new players will make a jot of difference.

The "philosophy" will be played whoever is on the pitch.

I'm yet to see what the "philosophy" is however.

I'm guessing it's safe, turgid football.
This discussion has been closed.