Options

Benny Hill

Comments

• Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Which is why stated comments that could harm a dead celebrity's reputation should only be put in posts when there's evidence to back it up.

What counts as proper academic 'evidence' though?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What counts as proper academic 'evidence' though?

Statements that don't fall apart when questioned, and the celebrity's movements at the time of said incident.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes I am,

That's exactly what I was suggesting with an offhand remark about google and using it to search for news on the internet.

Google are SOLELY responsible for Benny Hill's tarnished reputation.

Or maybe I was simply trying to make the point that some stories are out there and 'finding out for sure' if something is true or not can be a minefield.

Jeez. This is hard work.

Feeling your pain, Pru. :D
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,881
    Forum Member
    Benny was a very smart guy.
    From what I can figure out he wrote a lot of the sketches for his TV shows.... though he only made about 2 shows a year ... they were special events.

From way back he was doing comedy songs.... Pepys Diary for eg.
    who can forget the Fastest Milkman in the West ?

Its great to finish your act with a song... Frank Skinner is pretty nifty on the Ukelele even deadpan Jack Dee finishes his stage act with a guitar and a song.

Not that Benny did a lot of live stagework... it was always the TV studio for Benny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Benny was a very smart guy.
    From what I can figure out he wrote a lot of the sketches for his TV shows.... though he only made about 2 shows a year ... they were special events.

From way back he was doing comedy songs.... Pepys Diary for eg.
    who can forget the Fastest Milkman in the West ?

Its great to finish your act with a song... Frank Skinner is pretty nifty on the Ukelele even deadpan Jack Dee finishes his stage act with a guitar and a song.

Not that Benny did a lot of live stagework... it was always the TV studio for Benny.

I so remember that. :D I watched his shows quite often, as did the family back then.
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *whoosh*

Damn, didn't know we needed to be mind readers on here ...

If sarcasm needs explaining it obviously didn't work :p
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (and no, I don't know if any of this is true, but how many of any showbiz rumours do we know as true) that some of the angels used to give him 'sympathy bl*w jobs'.

This is all alleged before anyone jumps down my throat.

No pun intended there :D

Senses of humour are very subjective aren't they?

I don't find him funny, nor did I find Tommy Cooper funny. They're all an earlier generation; the first things I found funny were the Young Ones. All the old stuff just leave me cold other than Kenny Everett. Morecambe and Wise are funny and the Two Ronnies were I suppose but none of the other stuff. And I don't like smug McIntyre or Gervais, cannot stick him. Reeves and Mortimer crack me up.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that a lot of people seemed to idolise Morecambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper, and like. But for me as a kid I wasn't interested in them. They left me cold. Personally for me as a child my favourite was always Benny Hill.

Every time he did one of his TV specials I was glued the TV.
    There was something visual about his comedies which always came across so effectively. If they repeated his shows more often like they do with other comedy shows from that era I would enjoy thoroughly watching them now.
    I will always have a fondness for Benny Hill.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julia_Webb wrote: »
    Damn, didn't know we needed to be mind readers on here ...

If sarcasm needs explaining it obviously didn't work :p

It worked for the intended recipient - but don't let that stop you from attempting petty point scoring. Better luck next time:D
    No pun intended there :D

Senses of humour are very subjective aren't they?

I don't find him funny, nor did I find Tommy Cooper funny. They're all an earlier generation; the first things I found funny were the Young Ones. All the old stuff just leave me cold other than Kenny Everett. Morecambe and Wise are funny and the Two Ronnies were I suppose but none of the other stuff. And I don't like smug McIntyre or Gervais, cannot stick him. Reeves and Mortimer crack me up.

Yep, I pretty much agree with all that. Gervais and McIntyre ae as funny as advanced syphilis IMHO.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    The kings head :) they have loads of photos on the wall of Benny when he was a regular in there.

That's the one. I couldn't remember if it was the Kings Head or the Kings Arms. They were very near each other.

Haven't been to Teddington for a few years now. Are they both still there?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Benny was quite big in the USA too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    That's the one. I couldn't remember if it was the Kings Head or the Kings Arms. They were very near each other.

Haven't been to Teddington for a few years now. Are they both still there?

The kings head is still there although it's gone a bit upmarket now as Raymonde Blanc has a brasserie attached to it. Must pop in and see if the memorabilia is still in the pub:)
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also saw the documentary where one of his "angels" was talking about hand jobs/blow jobs. If I recall correctly she said if you didn't do it you got the sack. And that while you were doing it he pretended it wasn't happening. And he had to be called Uncle Benny.

I can't see the comic genius and I wonder how many other people would still rate him if you put more clothes on the women.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they ve finished the Benny Hill TV biog....
    no need to stop there's plenty more....

Why not a Dick Emery TV Biog ?

I watched a repeat of The Unforgettable Dick Emery on ITV over Easter and he certainly had an interesting life. It would be good for one of these type of programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dick Emery's Ma and Pa had a stage act way back
    when , so you could say that Dick was born into show biz
    ... a bit like Peter Sellers....

(yet another guy for a TV Bio )

So many of these guys were in the war... Peter Sellers, Eric Sykes, Harry Secombe.

From mem Dick Emery was in the army but deserted and went
    back on stage in some varitey show, but he was spotted by some army guys on leave and
    nabbed back into the army .... there was a war on after all !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There were some very talented dancers among the Hills Angels
    and some of the dance routines they did are certainly on a par
    with Legs and Co or Pans People.

Benny and his mates were probably at the taping sessions and getting an eyeful of those young sexy dancers.... but can you blame them ?
    Corine Russell was a member of Hills Angels in the 80s
  • Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were some very talented dancers among the Hills Angels
    and some of the dance routines they did are certainly on a par
    with Legs and Co or Pans People.

Benny and his mates were probably at the taping sessions and getting an eyeful of those young sexy dancers.... but can you blame them ?
    Corine Russell was a member of Hills Angels in the 80s

didn't she play candy in the first Highlander
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FilliA wrote: »
    I also saw the documentary where one of his "angels" was talking about hand jobs/blow jobs. If I recall correctly she said if you didn't do it you got the sack. And that while you were doing it he pretended it wasn't happening. And he had to be called Uncle Benny.

I can't see the comic genius and I wonder how many other people would still rate him if you put more clothes on the women.

Really:o When was that:confused:
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It worked for the intended recipient - but don't let that stop you from attempting petty point scoring. Better luck next time:D

Yep, I pretty much agree with all that. Gervais and McIntyre ae as funny as advanced syphilis IMHO.

Seriously Pru, I thought you meant Google was to blame - if you know what I mean - I'm all for a bit of petty point scoring but this wasn't one of them :blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sarcasm only comes off good when you haven't slipped up with anything.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't recall any other TV personality that went out of favour so quickly
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »

Michael Barrymore.
  • Options
    Fiery PhoenixFiery Phoenix Posts: 303
    Forum Member

Frank Bough
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan, but my mum knew Jackie Wright the old man he patted on the head in the shows(and his sister both from the Ormeau Road in Belfast), I remember she used to meet him in the street and chat. I was a young teen and just stared at him:blush:

Anyway he always said Benny was very good to the people who worked with him. Good wages and gifts on their birthdays etc.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member

Jimmy Savile.