Options

Top Gear

Comments

• Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    That reply is cut into too many slivers to read.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    How is hiring someone who is virtually unknown in America going to maintain Top Gear's success in America?

I’ve said it before in this thread, but I think Top Gear’s popularity in America is often unbelievably exaggerated or completely misunderstood. It has a small, niche fan base in America, but it certainly isn’t a well known programme, and it’s hosts are certainly not house hold names. It airs on BBC America, a basic cable channel with low ratings and that some cable/satellite providers don’t even carry. Top Gear USA airs on the History channel and I’m sure it get’s higher ratings than the British original, and despite being in its 5th series is far from a huge success itself.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They made a little video about their live tour, just from this little clip any fans will see what we miss :)

https://www.facebook.com/clarksonhammondandmaylive?fref=nf
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The Patagonia special is on Dave this Sunday.
  • Options
    tgabbertgabber Posts: 2,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »
    May and Hammond are missing a trick, they should agree to do the next series with a different guest presenter each week. It would raise their profiles, it could be a running joke each week as to how that week's presenter wasn't as good as Jeremy in some aspect or other (or maybe occasionally better!) and would generally give what had become a pretty stale format a breath of fresh air while still keeping a sense of continuity.

And after one series like that, if they really wanted to, they could probably bring Clarkson back.

Seems the BBC are thinking along the same lines:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-to-follow-have-i-got-news-for-you-format-with-different-host-for-each-episode-10288627.html
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will see if money talks over loyalty. If Hammond and May stay I'll be suprised..
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ahem......

03-04-2015, 08:27
    Straker wrote: »
    The show will come back hopefully with the affable, charming James May as lead-host (he's always been the better presenter of the three as proven across his other programmes), Hammond and some other amusing car-nut - Perhaps this could be a different person every series in an extension of the guest-host approach taken by HIGNFY. That way the likes of Coogan, Rowan Atkinson, Johnny Vaughan, Chris Evans etc wouldn't feel pressured to be the centre of the show and it wouldn't mean they'd have to commit more than a few months to it as opposed to doing it full-time. It'd also mean there was a greater anticipation about each new series to see how the "new guy" would perform. And if one of them was a hit and wanted to stay-on permanently then......
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been recent rumours in the press that Clarkson, Hammond, May and Wilman were going to do a program called "House of Cars" for Netflix.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what happened to the widely-reported alleged "dream team" lineup:
    BBC 'has chosen dream team' of Top Gear presenters to replace Jeremy Clarkson

The BBC has reportedly chosen a “dream team” of presenters for its new version of Top Gear that includes the former model Jodie Kidd.

Life on Mars star Philip Glenister and Channel 4 presenter Guy Martin have also been approached for the new series, according to reports.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11580679/BBC-has-chosen-dream-team-of-Top-Gear-presenters-to-replace-Jeremy-Clarkson.html
    BBC bosses are reportedly in advanced talks to sign Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin as the new Top Gear presenters.

The three names have been among the frontrunners tipped to present the show for some time.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/top-gear-jodie-kidd-philip-glenister-and-guy-martin-in-advanced-talks-to-join-show-10223806.html
  • Options
    stonostono Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    So what happened to the widely-reported alleged "dream team" lineup:]

part of me thinks stuff like this is leaked just to see how the audience might react, if the reaction is positive they do it, if not the come up with some other idea, the dream team lineup didnt exactly have people clammering for them to try it.

and the whole May/Hammond thing, of course they havent resigned, they were on contracts like Clarkson, which expired at the termination/end of the last series and whilst they may have other ongoing contracts for other BBC shows, they arent contracted to do Top Gear.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/04/top-gear-bbc-in-james-may-richard-hammond-jeremy-clarkson

Looks like a U-Turn already mayhe leaving the door open to Clarkson? May and Hammond staying maybe they don't want to change things too much?

Surprising as they seemed to want a whole new line up a few weeks ago.

If I was that pair I would jump ship to ITV see how the BBC get on with the loss of revenue if Top Gear flops.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/04/top-gear-bbc-in-james-may-richard-hammond-jeremy-clarkson

Looks like a U-Turn already mayhe leaving the door open to Clarkson? May and Hammond staying maybe they don't want to change things too much?

Surprising as they seemed to want a whole new line up a few weeks ago.

If I was that pair I would jump ship to ITV see how the BBC get on with the loss of revenue if Top Gear flops.

If this happens, I'll lose all respect for Hammond and May. It's clear betrayal; they should stick loyal to their friendship with Clarkson. The only way I'd be happy about it is if they're doing it because Clarkson has been promised a return on the 2017 series.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this happens, I'll lose all respect for Hammond and May. It's clear betrayal; they should stick loyal to their friendship with Clarkson. The only way I'd be happy about it is if they're doing it because Clarkson has been promised a return on the 2017 series.

Yes as you say at the end... the only scenario I can see this happening is if this if the BBC trying to engineer an "acceptable scenario" in which JC returns. The very suggestion of guest presenters means it's a temporary 1 series solution. And why would they need a temporary solution? Because they'd be aiming to have JC back the following series. I mean there is no other reason to do it really.

The longer both sides go without announcing their future plans.. the more likely they're going to come back together imho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes as you say at the end... the only scenario I can see this happening is if this if the BBC trying to engineer an "acceptable scenario" in which JC returns. The very suggestion of guest presenters means it's a temporary 1 series solution. And why would they need a temporary solution? Because they'd be aiming to have JC back the following series. I mean there is no other reason to do it really.

The longer both sides go without announcing their future plans.. the more likely they're going to come back together imho.

The ideal scenario would be the trio back on Top Gear but how long would the BBC be prepared to wait before reinstating Clarkson as presenter?

I wouldn't want to see two series of alternating presenters or a permanent presenter who isn't Clarkson introduced the following year.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,700
    Forum Member
    The very suggestion of guest presenters means it's a temporary 1 series solution. And why would they need a temporary solution? Because they'd be aiming to have JC back the following series. I mean there is no other reason to do it really
    When is Angus Deayton due back? :p
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    When is Angus Deayton due back? :p

Thats what I was going to say lol. How many years has it been with "guest" presenters?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats what I was going to say lol. How many years has it been with "guest" presenters?

Too many...
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Clarkson will be in TP incognito. Look out for a taller, tubbier Stig....
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    Maybe Clarkson will be in TP incognito. Look out for a taller, tubbier Stig....
    And on that bombshell......
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh I wouldn't like TG with different guest presenters, don't know why but would prefer a permanent presenter. I also don't mind if the current line-up (any of them) never return ... as long as the replacements float my boat. appreciate I'm in a minority on that one :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure they'll be heartbroken....
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    They could really take the piss if they had the two old presenters and a guest presenter: they could have Clarkson as a Star In A Reasonably Priced Car. That wouldn't be renewing his contract as a presenter of Top Gear, it would just be the usual one off appearance contract.

The amount of stupidity could be enormous: Just get the 3 of them back and sort the mess out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh I wouldn't like TG with different guest presenters, don't know why but would prefer a permanent presenter. I also don't mind if the current line-up (any of them) never return ... as long as the replacements float my boat. appreciate I'm in a minority on that one :)

:o

You can't have Top Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May. It would be like fish without the chips.
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that the BBC can't get anyone willing to be the scapegoat for Top Gear being a failure.
    Whoever it is will be compared the past 3 presenters. People will just laugh and switch off.

I have a feeling that they wanted a year or 2 off of Top Gear but Clarkson took it into his own hands as usual & ballsed it up.

I'm waiting for the day that we see a video of Clarkson shaking hands with the guy he smacked about. Says sorry, we all live happily ever after, welcome back to Top Gear.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no mention of them staying on TG. They've been offered a contract which I'm sure they'll turn down. The BBC have proved once again that they haven't got a clue. After all this time they still don't get it. The guest presenter idea just won't work.
This discussion has been closed.