Options

More Ramadan stupidity

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I'd love to know in what way she was 'forced' to use the self-serve scanner.

Was it a pistol or a shotgun that was held to her head?
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    I'd love to know in what way she was 'forced' to use the self-serve scanner.

Was it a pistol or a shotgun that was held to her head?

You will never get it then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well considering the manager supported the employee in refusing to serve her, Tesco should have sacked both of them.

Of possibly the manager listened to the staff member's side of the story which was not the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    You will never get it then.

I was being sarcastic. She wasn't 'forced' at all.
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical that people take the religious idiots side, they should not work there if they feel that strongly about the products that are sold, should of dashed the ham at her head (ok maybe not but would of been tempting)
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,596
    Forum Member
    BZR wrote: »
    Typical that people take the religious idiots side, they should not work there if they feel that strongly about the products that are sold, should of dashed the ham at her head (ok maybe not but would of been tempting)

As others have said, we've only heard one side of the story.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of possibly the manager listened to the staff member's side of the story which was not the same.

It's a managers job to satisfy and help a customer. If there is a dispute between a customer and server they aren't supposed to listen to their side until afterwards. They are supposed to apologise to the customer and sort out their problem - in this case serve her themselves not continue to discriminate against them.

There is no possibly acceptable excuse for what happened. Both the cashier and manager should be disciplined.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Apology accepted. But I still don't support or condone the manner in which you post about Islam on this forum.

Islam and Muslims are open to criticism like anything in life. The desire of some to dictate to Muslims about how they are "supposed" to behave smacks of the insincerity that the bad parts of humanity has to offer.

If the Muslim caused this then he has responsibilities. If the customer caused this then she has responsibilities. I can see both sides of this story. You do not appear to be able to. Why you only see these stories one sided and with bias is beyond me, but such is your wont. In the meantime, posters like myself will continue to point out the fallacies of posts such as you make and what the reality and truth is, that you don't ever seem to tell.

How could the customer cause it? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I think you succinctly summed up what the OP wanted to actually say.

I am of no opinion either way but just wanted to make sure that I pointed that out.

I did laugh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    How could the customer cause it? :confused:

Apparently by eating ham and liking the odd tipple - very provocative - practically asking for it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    As others have said, we've only heard one side of the story.

What version can possibly make it OK?
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,596
    Forum Member
    What version can possibly make it OK?

One where the employee was not obliged to handle pork or wine as part of his job, but was put in that position by mistake. It's a possibility!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Meh, I beg to differ.

There are certainly ulterior, divisive motives here. It smacks of Islamaphobia on the Daily Mails part - which to me is no different to being prejudiced toward somebody because of something like the colour of their skin.

The colour of a persons skin is not an opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I have a genuine question and no I'm not trolling.

I work in a restaurant and I was bringing out someones food the other week (it was after ramadan had begun anyway) and they said something along the lines of "Have they made it without any pork, because I'm Muslim, so I can't eat pork at all,"

I'm curious. Is there some sections of Islam who do not do fasting. Also she wasn't in Muslim dress (i.e. no hijab or burka).
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

I work in a restaurant and I was bringing out someones food the other week (it was after ramadan had begun anyway) and they said something along the lines of "Have they made it without any pork, because I'm Muslim, so I can't eat pork at all,"

I'm curious. Is there some sections of Islam who do not do fasting. Also she wasn't in Muslim dress (i.e. no hijab or burka).

There are all kinds of Muslims, so there are bound to be some who won't fast but won't eat pork either. Or she might be pregnant, or having a period or something else that would mean she doesn't have to fast, or fast during the actual Ramadan month.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless this customer was verbally abusive and jumping to conclusions BEFORE the employee refused to serve her, I really don't see how it could possibly be her fault.

I'm not saying that this is a desperately serious situation (obviously it isn't) but the number of people jumping over fences in their haste to blame the customer and not the employee is positively laughable.
  • Options
    Fappy_McFapperFappy_McFapper Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a genuine question and no I'm not trolling

Stopped reading there.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    Unless this customer was verbally abusive and jumping to conclusions BEFORE the employee refused to serve her, I really don't see how it could possibly be her fault.

I'm not saying that this is a desperately serious situation (obviously it isn't) but the number of people jumping over fences in their haste to blame the customer and not the employee is positively laughable.
    I'm not sure where wanting to hear both sides of the story is jumping over fences to blame anyone. I don't blame the customer but it may not be the employee's fault but their management's for putting them in an unsuitable situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »

I'm not jumping over any fences; I am pointing out the absolutely genuine fact that the story is hard to make sense of as it stands. Unless she was his first customer, ever, what happened to all the others he refused to serve? How did he even know, without going through everyone's trolley before he started serving them, who would have a packet of ham in there? Do people really believe that he kept stopping customers half way through the process, shovelling everything back into their trolley, having glimpsed a pack of ham, and ordered them to a different till? Unless it was his first hour in the job, he must have processed hundreds of customers with ham or alcohol or some other prohibited foodstuff.
    Stopped reading there.

It was a fair question. I don't know the answer though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Stopped reading there.

Then why did you feel the need to comment and let me know? :confused: Should i be begging you to read my post? Should I be offended that you didn't? I'm curious as to what reaction you're trying to get out of me.
    batgirl wrote: »
    There are all kinds of Muslims, so there are bound to be some who won't fast but won't eat pork either. Or she might be pregnant, or having a period or something else that would mean she doesn't have to fast, or fast during the actual Ramadan month.

Ah okay thanks :), I knew there was the Sunni and Shia (?) but wasn't sure if it was that or something else.

Obviously I wasn't going to ask the woman herself but when i saw the topic here, I remembered it and was curious :).
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member

Not all Muslims strictly follow their religion, in the same way not all Christians do. I know of some Turkish people who identify themselves as being Muslim because that was the religion they were brought up in, but they still drink, go out clubbing, dress like Westerners and don't bother fasting for Ramadan.

The one thing they do all seem to observe is the not eating of pork.

The same goes for some Jewish people I know. Some of these even profess to being atheists and they're only Jewish based on their culture and family background. None of them eat pork either though.

I guess if you grow up with the idea that a particular food is taboo you're not going to want to eat it even if you don't observe all the other rules of your religion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    One where the employee was not obliged to handle pork or wine as part of his job, but was put in that position by mistake. It's a possibility!

That wouldn't make it OK. It would make the manager doubly culpable and even more in need if disciplining because as well as being poor at dealing with customer complaints they would also be poor at managing staff. The cashier should also have spoken up if it were an issue.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulster guy mustn't be too fond of the auld muslims judging by his threads
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The colour of a persons skin is not an opinion.

I.. know?

What?

What did you mean here?

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ulster guy mustn't be too fond of the auld muslims judging by his threads

I think the thread title is a clue...