Options

Indicating at a roundabout

Comments

• Options
    seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Older drivers were taught to always indicate right when they are going straight ahead.

what age do you class as older driver? In my 24 years of driving I've never done this or been taught this and never seen my parents or grandparents do this.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    :) Hello U. Glad you liked the blazer. ;-)
    I probably use my indicators a little too much for my own good if I am honest. :blush: (even when nobody benefits) :o

Better to indicate by default, than not to by default.

I accept that indicating by rote is indicative (pun not intended) of lazy driving, but I'd still rather know drivers' intentions even if they are poor drivers.

I don't always indicate on roundabouts, but my mantra is that I need to have a good reason *not* to indicate, rather than the other way around, so I always indicate when either (a) someone else is nearby, or (b) I can't be sure that someone isn't.

The drivers who annoy me are the ones who indicate right to turn right, then leave the right indicator running when leaving the roundabout.

Fundamentally, the indication that conveys the most information to other drivers joining the roundabout, is the left indicator used to leave. And yet it is this one that most(!) drivers forget about.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently taking lessons and my instructer said that it is quite surprising the number of drivers who think you can't use the bus lane.

To be honest your instructor is generalising too much.

You cannot use some bus lanes at all (ie. some are in use 24/7).

But yes, some bus lanes are only restricted bus lanes during specified hours.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Why do some people indicate right when they enter a roundabout and are going straight on. Surely, their immediate act is to turn left, so how on earth can indicating right be the correct thing to do ? A lot of people do this and on many occasions I have attempted to overtake someone on the left who is going straight ahead because I have interpreted their indication of turning right as meaning they are turning right.
    People make mistakes. No big deal. Drive at a reasonable distance from the car in front and it's not a problem.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    This is true.If I'm driving along and I see someone in the distance waiting to cross.I'll indicate my intentions.They can take it or leave it.But at least I've done my bit.

You must be one of the very few people that are considerate enough to do so - we have a round about near us where it is the only place to cross and can count on one hand the number of people who indicate they are coming our way.
    Sometimes wonder why manufacturers waste money putting indicators on cars.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Near us there are a lot of roundabouts. There is a mini one in our road. There are two along the main road near us which are slightly bigger than a mini but not very big. Both of these roundabouts have only one exit. If you are going one way there is a straight on and a right turn and conversely, if you are going the other way there is a straight on and a left turn.

Gong one way people indicate a left turn if they are going straight on although you can't actually go left. Going the other way they indicate a right turn when they can't go right. I have no idea why they do this. The road is clearly marked with lines indicating a straight on.

Further down the same road is a very large roundabout. The signaling on this is varied and often quite weird. Also, despite lane markings clearly telling you which lane to get on, people get on the wrong one and then have to swerve at the last moment past lots of traffic. In the rush hour, this roundabout is sometimes at a complete standstill. I know people who will drive several miles out of their way just to avoid using this roundabout. We are not among those however.

I have never heard of the clock thing for roundabouts and it wouldn't help us much anyhow as all of us are left handed. We have a fantastic left handed clock in our kitchen and both myself and OH have left handed watches.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Older drivers were taught to always indicate right when they are going straight ahead.

Nonsense.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I don't know as I can't recall ever seeing this, or I didn't notice because it didn't cause a problem.
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Is this that common? I've never noticed it in 7 or 8 years of driving.
    It's not hugely common, but it does happen. For instance I've seen people here indicating right on the approach:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brackley&aq=&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.701807,19.248047&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brackley,+Northamptonshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.032141,-1.160361&spn=0.000957,0.00235&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.032057,-1.160336&panoid=fpdx4fsXM9VFH62l81CPgA&cbp=12,4.56,,0,-9.45

Mind you even worse I've seen people indicate right when coming down the hill toward this viewpoint. That's bloody annoying. I've stopped to give way to them on a couple of occasions :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is something I've noticed happening over the last two or three years. When I've seen it they don't start indicating right until they're actually on the roundabout. It's very confusing doing that in the left hand lane and have someone in the right hand lane suddenly thinking they're going to be hit because the numpty next door wnats to go right.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I indicate right for junctions 2, 3 and 4 - although I always worry a bit about doing so for no.2
    That one seems clear cut to me and I'd indicate right on approach for all lanes except 1. I'd indicate left on all exits.

Now this is less clear cut:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=brackley&aq=&sll=52.8382,-2.327815&sspn=7.701807,19.248047&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Brackley,+Northamptonshire,+United+Kingdom&ll=52.072398,-1.288995&spn=0.003851,0.009398&z=17

Coming from the left (A422 dual carriageway) I'd indicate left for exit 1, not indicate at all for exit 2 and right for all others. I'd also approach in lane 1 for the first two exits, and lane 2 for the second two.

But some people don't indicate for exit 3. That's understandable since it's the same road (the A422) and they might call that going straight ahead. What irritates me more is that some people approach in lane 1 when going for exit 3 and often compound it by not indicating.
    SnrDev wrote: »
    It seems to me that as the idea of having indicators is to indicate your intentions to other road users, it makes more sense to use your indicators to indicate your intentions to other road users, as opposed to using them to give some vague of idea of where you may or may not be heading.
    Agreed. The two can be related but what's important is that people behind know not to overtake or undertake and people waiting to enter need to know whether to enter or wait.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I'm currently taking lessons and my instructer said that it is quite surprising the number of drivers who think you can't use the bus lane.
    Eh??...well you'll get done in my city, bus lanes are a no no for private vehicles...at all times.
    Your instructor better watch out when he/she drives in Oxford
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm also a great believer in indicating only when it conveys information. For example, IMO indicating for a parked car is redundant (and potentially misleading). If you are not aware that the car in front of you is about to move out for a parked car then you shouldn't be on the road.

I always indicate when attempting to pass a parked car, can't see it's wrong...I'm telling vehicles behind that I'm not parking.
    Thats what I was taught 35 yrs ago.
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heres a tip op - dont overtake on the left
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Heres a tip op - dont overtake on the ledt

At last! Someone said it!
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    I always indicate when attempting to pass a parked car, can't see it's wrong...I'm telling vehicles behind that I'm not parking.
    Thats what I was taught 35 yrs ago.

But they know you are not parking because you haven't got your left indicator on. Caveat I assume we are talking a single carriageway road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    But they know you are not parking because you haven't got your left indicator on. Caveat I assume we are talking a single carriageway road.

In that regard then they wouldn't know you were parking or passing a parked car then! That's why you indicate for passing so the cars behind have clarity of what your intentions are!
  • Options
    Forum Member

A lot of cars just pull up behind a parked car ( when I assume the are going to pass).. they mostly don't indicate left to park....and the driver gets out>:(

No....indicating to notify others you are attempting to pass a parked vehicle...seems common sense an is courteous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm also a great believer in indicating only when it conveys information. For example, IMO indicating for a parked car is redundant (and potentially misleading). If you are not aware that the car in front of you is about to move out for a parked car then you shouldn't be on the road.

Of overtaking the Highway Code says you signal, whether overtaking moving or stationary (sp? Never sure which one is which tbh).
    Your opinion is not worth a light.
    It also lets people ahead of you know what your intending. Unless people are mind readers then, really, what you said is nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that regard then they wouldn't know you were parking or passing a parked car then! That's why you indicate for passing so the cars behind have clarity of what your intentions are!

Hey? Try reading my post again, if you are going to park then use your left indicator then those behind know your intentions. No need to use your right indicator in those circumstances, unless you are actually turning right, as in across the carriageway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    A lot of cars just pull up behind a parked car ( when I assume the are going to pass).. they mostly don't indicate left to park....and the driver gets out>:(

No....indicating to notify others you are attempting to pass a parked vehicle...seems common sense an is courteous.

No the courteous and correct thing to do on the road is to indicate left when they are going to park, otherwise assume they are continuing in the direction they are travelling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hey? Try reading my post again, if you are going to park then use your left indicator then those behind know your intentions. No need to use your right indicator in those circumstances, unless you are actually turning right, as in across the carriageway.

When you pass parked cars in most situations you move over into theoncoming lane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of overtaking the Highway Code says you signal, whether overtaking moving or stationary (sp? Never sure which one is which tbh).
    Your opinion is not worth a light.
    It also lets people ahead of you know what your intending. Unless people are mind readers then, really, what you said is nonsense.

e for envelope - so you can remember which stationery /stationary you need to use - old school teaching.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that annoys me more than this are drivers who just will not use a bus lane when it is not in use (and drive at 20mph in the right hand lane). Trouble is this is very prevalent - I use a couple of roads with bus lanes regularly that also have speed cams and I would say that 95% at least of drivers do not use the bus lane when they can.
    People are so reluctant to use a bus lane near me - even though there are numerous signs that neatly change from 'bus lane' to 'use both lanes' during permitted hours - that they have now put a big line of lights all the way down it during permitted hours, as if it was a runway at Heathrow. It's as if people don't trust their watches until the permitted hours have been running for about 7 hours.
    U96 wrote: »
    Worst thing is when people indicate at an exit too early.
    You pull out, then realise they're heading straight for you.Dangerous indicating.>:(
    At last, something that really does make me foam at the mouth with incandescent fury. It is, if anything, worse for pedestrians. You are waiting to cross a road, the traffic is rather heavy coming off the roundabout, so you are waiting, poised for action, for a car to turn off before your junction so you can trot over. At last, a car signals that they are turning off, and you leap like a gazelle from the kerb. Only they are not turning off at all - they just have a tic in their indexing hand, it would seem. You have to leap back onto the kerb at double speed before this clearly blind and idiotic driver kills you.
    Well you can tell yourself that when a motorcyclist disappears under your car. Absolutely nothing wrong with indicating to those behind that you need to pull out.
    Heres a tip op - dont overtake on the left

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that if a driver is signalling that they are turning right and you are not. Why waste a whole lane of the road?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any of you drive in Spain beware of roundabouts - they can legally drive in any lane to exit it - very confusing.
  • Options
    Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At last, something that really does make me foam at the mouth with incandescent fury. It is, if anything, worse for pedestrians. You are waiting to cross a road, the traffic is rather heavy coming off the roundabout, so you are waiting, poised for action, for a car to turn off before your junction so you can trot over. At last, a car signals that they are turning off, and you leap like a gazelle from the kerb. Only they are not turning off at all - they just have a tic in their indexing hand, it would seem. You have to leap back onto the kerb at double speed before this clearly blind and idiotic driver kills you.

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183
    Absolutely nothing wrong with doing that if a driver is signalling that they are turning right and you are not. Why waste a whole lane of the road?
    https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169

Looks like you can OTOL. Looks like a badly written piece of the highway code though in a roundabout system. In a flow where traffic from the right merges left to exit a junction this only leads to accidents, so its safer to never overtake on the left.