Options

Coppers (Channel 4 09/01/12)

Comments

• Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I think MP's all over the country should be reviewing this footage because although yes it does show some terrible parts of our society it also shows how unprofessional our police force really is.

This show actually films police officers assualting and harassing people, police officers should speak to people in a professional and dignified manner no matter what they have done. In the USA police officers call people Marm and Sir but in this country our police officers are as bad as the dregs of society and make bad situations worse.

Haha our coppers are angels compared with American cops.
    You think they go about calling people sir and ma'am because you have watched a few episodes of Cops from USA where they say it.I suggest you go look at lots of videos out there of these polite American officers beating the crap out of people and shouting "Stop resisting" to cover themselves.
    Give me our coppers any day.
  • Options
    GuardianistaGuardianista Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised and appalled at the abuse that the police are getting on this thread; they are doing their job- trying to protect the country under a lot of stress and with less people than before.

They are doing a grand job, and have to put up with a whole lot of danger, abuse and violence- no other job has to do this. When the riots kicked off would you have wanted to be a police officer?

They perhaps over reacted with that man with the cheese sandwich, I grant you, but we don't know the full story; how long had they been at the situation, was he a known problem person, was he abusive etc etc.

I am thoroughly enjoying this show, and think the police are doing the best they can.

Why are people so keen to defend the criminals
    ?

Left-wingers? Certainly NOT Daily Mail readers.

Good post by the way.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    tvd wrote: »
    You're obviously watching a different programme to me! I saw police officers being remarkably restrained, when having to deal with the most sub-human elements of society.
    Their was that Police programme in the Summer, where 4 Police officers from around the world followed the Fortunes of our Bobbie's over here, the Aussie one, couldn't believe how tolerant, our's are towards swearing, he would have locked them all up, if he was back home.
    Meilie wrote: »
    He was facing the wrong way.
    It's the Belgrano, all over again.;)
    Anyone watching episode two?
    Oh Yes!
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is one of the better Police reality shows
    dealing with the scumbags on a daily basis cannot be easy... and can you imagine the amount of retstraint shown having some of these drunken tramps spitting in your face
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to compare our Coppers with their Cops.

What was most noticeable was how much less in control of street situations the Nottinghamshire officers were, even though they were armed, when compared with their American counterparts.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earsnot wrote: »
    I can't believe the way that officer was pushing that man who was eating a cheese sandwich, pushing him harder and harder until he eventually fell over backwards

that guy (not the police) looks like he should be committed permanently for all our sake
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised and appalled at the abuse that the police are getting on this thread; they are doing their job- trying to protect the country under a lot of stress and with less people than before.

They are doing a grand job, and have to put up with a whole lot of danger, abuse and violence- no other job has to do this. When the riots kicked off would you have wanted to be a police officer?

They perhaps over reacted with that man with the cheese sandwich, I grant you, but we don't know the full story; how long had they been at the situation, was he a known problem person, was he abusive etc etc.

I am thoroughly enjoying this show, and think the police are doing the best they can.

Why are people so keen to defend the criminals?

The police have to do there job but they are not above the law themselves, the man which was shoved in the show that was assault and the police office in question should be saked.

Police officers should remain professional at all times and the bottom line is in the channel four show they are not professional in 60% of the scenes in my opinion. The police should set an example on how to behave when they talk down to people and acting like neanderthals how is that for the benefit of the public? Force should only be used as last and must resorse, a police officer should never swear or use derogatory language at any time when they are on duty.

No other public service professionals such as Teachers, Doctors, Nurses MP's etc etc can use such language or aggression and they deal with some terrible people within their work but they have to remain professional at all times.

If someone was shouting and swearing at David Cameron or the Queen would you expect to see either of them shove and push a man to the extent that the cheese sandwich man was? No you wouldn't and if you did see them act in that manner there'd be hell on, so why is ok for a police officer to?
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The police have to do there job but they are not above the law themselves, the man which was shoved in the show that was assault and the police office in question should be saked.

Police officers should remain professional at all times and the bottom line is in the channel four show they are not professional in 60% of the scenes in my opinion. The police should set an example on how to behave when they talk down to people and acting like neanderthals how is that for the benefit of the public? Force should only be used as last and must resorse, a police officer should never swear or use derogatory language at any time when they are on duty.

No other public service professionals such as Teachers, Doctors, Nurses MP's etc etc can use such language or aggression and they deal with some terrible people within their work but they have to remain professional at all times.

If someone was shouting and swearing at David Cameron or the Queen would you expect to see either of them shove and push a man to the extent that the cheese sandwich man was? No you wouldn't and if you did see them act in that manner there'd be hell on, so why is ok for a police officer to?

You seem to be obsessed with this pushing incident. I daresay if I was told to leave a scene by a policeman I would go FIRST time he asked and NOT continually walk back towards him and the problem. "He was drunk" I hear you cry, yes he was, drunk and shouting and swearing and making a right old nuiscance of himself as he had NO DOUBT done COUNTLESS times in the past as a town drunk. If I'm walking in that High St with my 3 yr old kid I do not want to be near cretins like that or within earshot of their abusive ramblings - why are you finding that so hard to undedrstand? What exactly do you want the police to do? He gave him EVERY opportunity to leave , he didn't. Stop being such an apologist for these cretins.There are far more deserving cases.
    I'm using caps on certain words to ram the point home as you seem oblivious to reason - much like Mr Drunkard.

Ps my favourite part of last nights show was when they turned up at the wedding and the wee "gangsta" boy got pushed away - should have CS'ed the fool. WHO are these individuals who crowd around police when they are trying to deal with stuff? Rubber neckers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I already said in my original post- the cheese sandwich man was perhaps an over reaction on the police officers part, but we did not see the full incident so can't really comment on that.

The police have to use aggression and use foul language at times; if you are dealing with a rowdy bunch of drunk people who are being violent you are going to use similar language- this isn't lack of professionalism this is seeing a situation and dealing with it appropriately. Their role is very different to a nurse, teacher or MP in this regard.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I already said in my original post- the cheese sandwich man was perhaps an over reaction on the police officers part, but we did not see the full incident so can't really comment on that.

The police have to use aggression and use foul language at times; if you are dealing with a rowdy bunch of drunk people who are being violent you are going to use similar language- this isn't lack of professionalism this is seeing a situation and dealing with it appropriately. Their role is very different to a nurse, teacher or MP in this regard.
    That is the wrong thing to do, as it causes the aggressor to then become more inflamed and aggressive. Witness how the 2 officers dealt with the guy they stopped in the car, who was very irate and abusive. They didn't respond in kind and eventually he went on his way.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrio wrote: »
    That is the wrong thing to do, as it causes the aggressor to then become more inflamed and aggressive. Witness how the 2 officers dealt with the guy they stopped in the car, who was very irate and abusive. They didn't respond in kind and eventually he went on his way.

This is true but I can't help thinking they should have nicked him just for his attitude alone. The vast vast majority of people in this country would not dream of talking to a police oofficer like that, he'll just drive off now thinking he's the big man - the kids on the corner thought he was hilarious - all very sad.
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cheese sandwich man was very lucky to have been given so many opportunities to leave, because the word he kept saying to the police was one which is very offensive to disabled people - had he kept saying the 'N' word I'm sure he'd have been arrested much earlier.

The point is these sort of people are really almost sub human, and what is the point of worrying about how they are treated? They've decided to take no part in society, have no worth, value or self-respect whatsoever. People like him wouldnt be missed by anyone if they didnt exist, not even by their own families I suppose.

And like the other poster said, decent people in town with their kids dont want to have to put up with those sort of people who cant even act like normal human beings.
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Quote = The police have to do there job but they are not above the law themselves, the man which was shoved in the show that was assault and the police office in question should be saked.

Not sure what world you live in, but I would really like to see you mind all your P's & Q's, and be all prim and proper all day long whilst having to put up with all these scum bags that try to cheat their way through life. Police officers are only human, and if you expect them to have some sort of 'perfect human being' button at all time, then unfortunately you're being completely unrealistic.

When you're next confronted with a very stressful situation, try and see if you can remain completely calm and 'perfect'.

What shocks me about this show is how much some of the scum bags get away with, and you just know they're going to continue with their behaviour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I think MP's all over the country should be reviewing this footage because although yes it does show some terrible parts of our society it also shows how unprofessional our police force really is.

This show actually films police officers assualting and harassing people, police officers should speak to people in a professional and dignified manner no matter what they have done. In the USA police officers call people Marm and Sir but in this country our police officers are as bad as the dregs of society and make bad situations worse.

The sir and ma'am thing is neither friendly or polite; it's actually standoffish. Like when our police call you 'mate'. In any case, I'd imagine it's pretty hard to remain professional and dignified at all times when you are dealing with some of the social debris that we witnessed on Monday. The police aren't social workers!
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Watching this now on catch-up, very much enjoying the 'family party' one because it makes me feel great about my life! They'll be on Jeremy Kyle next. I assume it was all based in Nottingham? If so I'm very proud....to be from Derby ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Who dares admit they're from Nottingham after this show..? :o
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    This is true but I can't help thinking they should have nicked him just for his attitude alone. The vast vast majority of people in this country would not dream of talking to a police oofficer like that, he'll just drive off now thinking he's the big man - the kids on the corner thought he was hilarious - all very sad.

I think the laughter at the end was more down to the Coppers parting shot 'goodbye sweetheart' or something like that, blokey looked rather daft.
    Giving out all over the place, because he kept been stopped.
    It appeared the motor insurance database wasn't updated with his details, hence the repeated stops.
    He was quite lucky that they didn't just decide to go over his car with a fine tooth comb just to annoy him further.
    Maybe they copped-on quite quickly that it was only a database problem and found him getting the hump amusing.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are people so keen to defend the criminals?

Oh yes there are. Other professions have to put up with abuse, violence etc. for eg. esp. those working in A&E departments in some hospitals - nurses, hospital workers, ambulance staff, they have to deal with this on a daily basis, it's not just the police. The police know what they have to deal with and expect before they become police officers - if they can't hack then perhaps this kind of profession is not for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    The police know what they have to deal with and expect before they become police officers - if they can't hack then perhaps this kind of profession is not for them.

CRAP! Just because you choose a job it does not give anyone the right to be verbally of physically abusive towards you! I'm sure you would not accept it in your working day so why should someone else.
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the criminals, I probably despise burglars the most

Personally I'm not too keen on rapists and psychopaths.

Oh and millionaire bosses of phone hackers tend to nark me off a bit as well.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Jocolah wrote: »
    Oh yes there are. Other professions have to put up with abuse, violence etc. for eg. esp. those working in A&E departments in some hospitals - nurses, hospital workers, ambulance staff, they have to deal with this on a daily basis, it's not just the police. The police know what they have to deal with and expect before they become police officers - if they can't hack then perhaps this kind of profession is not for them.

Not that anyone has said 'they can't hack it'
    Would you tell Nurses, Paramedics or Traffic Wardens, 'If you can't hack it...'

Anyway, who do Nurses, Paramedics, etc call in when the abuse is 'too much', who's supposed to act as the law and put a stop to it.
    Logically you can give out to Nurse's etc, because there's not a lot they can do about it, the Police can remove your liberty at least temporarily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One thing which occurred to me is - I did not particularly like the wedding crowd and there may have been a good reason why the police attended and a small riot resulted....but...when I heard that CS gas had been sprayed in some bloke's eyes, I thought, was this really necessary? I would have liked to find out a bit more about what happened at the wedding and what erupted to make a peeler think that CS gas was necessary here. I am not saying it was unjustified, but CS seems a bit extreme for a wedding party which has got a bit out of control.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He'd been given plenty of chances to walk away, much like the woman who'd been told to wait by the lamp post... people like that will keep pushing their luck, if they push too far then they only have themselves to blame for getting nicked.

Yeah but to actually knock him over? The alcoholic was drunk and puny so no threat to the burly and well protected protector of law and order. Also being an alcoholic, I could not twig what age he was but he was presumably not in the best of health - could he have had a heart attack by being knocked over....wasnt there a disciplinary case which became a criminal case a couple of years ago in London when a newspaper seller who liked a drink or two was knocked over, had a heart attack and subsequently died during a street protest. Werent lessons supposed to have been learnt over this incident. Doesnt look like the news reached Nottingham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was facing the wrong way.

Yeah but walking backwards. Belgrano anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brillopad wrote: »
    They have to put up with it now as the use of Section 5 Public Order is not to be used to protect Officers from offensive language - a Judge has said so therefore it is right.

Section 5 is (was) a useful catch all whereby someone who needs to be off the streets can be arrested when a specific offence has not been committed (apart from being an obnoxious git).

I venture to say that all the liberal types posting here that the Pigs are brutes might sing a different tune if that drunk family were carrying on outside their bedroom window.

It's not OK if it's not in my back yard.

But the peeler did not put up with it, he knocked the bloke over. Fair enough, I would have done the same as I am just an ordinary citizen and would normnally get away with it = but a uniformed police officer on a Channel 4 telly documentary watched by a potential couple of million Channel 4 types - is the policeman a bit stupid or has the law on hitting people changed over the past year?

I lived in South London for two years and people next door to me started to have regular parties. They had one too many. I rang on their doorbell, promised them that I would not call the police but that I would get my close family of Irish gypsy labourers to come over and show them how loud parties should be done. Never had any more loud parties from them again. Does this make me a liberal type? You're the judge.

Overall I though the police people were professional but there were one or two episodes on this (er) episode where I though that if I was the officer who had just sprayed CS gas or had just pushed that old wino over, I would be bit worried that a disciplinary case may be hanging over me. Having seen this episode, I am thinking that if there is not a disciplinary enquiry hanging over those two particular officers about why they took the actions they did, then I would like to know the reason why.