Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    How would you guys react if this was Hernandez with the handball next weekend?

Be p"ssed off with the stupid ref or linesman who allowed it. Serious answer.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By then, Man Utd will probably be 3-0 up anyway, so it won't make much difference.

I would be surprised (albeit very pleasantly) if we were to be 3-0 up against you at any point next week. These games are never as clear cut
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A daft comment no doubt but clueless is a crass statement for a man well respected as a player and now summariser.

Humm, I notice you didn't put "manager", in the resons to respect him part (only pundit and player), now why is that? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be surprised (albeit very pleasantly) if we were to be 3-0 up against you at any point next week. These games are never as clear cut

It'll end 2-1 to Utd as it usually does in these league fixtures at ot.
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    So attempting to move on from the handball chat -

The first half showed a lot to be positive about. Shelvey and Sturridge linked up really well and his movement and speed will cause problems for other teams this season, especially when it's Gerrard, Sterling and Suarez supplying the balls (that sounds a little iffy...)

The second half showed the weaknesses we still have (though it was clearly a 2nd choice team for the most part) and we didn't seem to be able to regain control once they started to come at us.

The Utd game will be an interesting test for us. They're not great at the back and hopefully Strurridge's speed and Suarez's movement will cause them problems. We should also look to expose De Gea's weakness's on crosses. I also think we can control the midfield as they are lacking a bit there.

Up front will be the worry - RVP and probably Hernandez will start and keeping them quiet will be key. Our back 4 will need to be on top form and our midfield need to look to stem the supply to them. If we can get that right we might be able to leave with something.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Malbren wrote: »
    Be p"ssed off with the stupid ref or linesman who allowed it. Serious answer.

Correct answer. Stop slating Suarez, it was not his choice or option, it was, yet again, bad refereeing. However I note the media is awash with blaming fully Luis and not a word about the refs. Sick! :mad:
  • Options
    steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Yeah ok, that'll be it(!)

What's this your 4th post since comparing the handball to the Maradona handball?
    I actually thought you would give yourself the evening off after such an embarrassing post...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humm, I notice you didn't put "manager", in the resons to respect him part (only pundit and player), now why is that? ;)

For the same reason I wouldn't describe Alex Ferguson as a 'world class player ' when referring to him.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member

Unless Man Utd are playing Billingham Synthonia in a friendly, I think my guys will be OK :D
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the same reason I wouldn't describe Alex Ferguson as a 'world class player ' when referring to him.

Alex Ferguson??:confused:

Oh, you mean Sir Alex Ferguson, sorry I didn't recognise the name without the correct title there! ;)

Touche though touche.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0rch1deam wrote: »
    Correct answer. Stop slating Suarez, it was not his choice or option, it was, yet again, bad refereeing. However I note the media is awash with blaming fully Luis and not a word about the refs. Sick! :mad:

I agree the fault lies with the officials, unfortunately for Suarez he's become the media pantomime villain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless Man Utd are playing Billingham Synthonia in a friendly, I think my guys will be OK :D

We might be able to manage a clean sheet against them :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree the fault lies with the officials, unfortunately for Suarez he's become the media pantomime villain.

Suarez should play up to that image. At the next Liverpool press conference, he should apologise for the handball and look really sad and humbled. But when he gets up to leave, he should smile evily at the camera and wink.
    We might be able to manage a clean sheet against them :D

If Man Utd played the mighty Synners, Man Utd would be given a footballing lesson. Man Utd would not be able to handle the ONLY football club in the world named after an artificial fertiliser.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like everyone's happy.

we're happy to progress.

the moaners are happy to moan about the performance.

the haters have something to hate on.

perfect.
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    SlowRap wrote: »
    Just watching their manager on ESPN absolute class act. Suarez's reaction and the kick into the net was in frustration because he knew it hit his hand looked up and saw it was given.

Lots of comments on it in a similar vein to the above with which I agree totally.

I love Luis Suarez (you have prob noticed!!) but that was not one of his best moments and made me feel uncomfortable.

But I do not think it could be classed in the deliberate cheating category as it sort of reared up and hit his arm which was outstretched anyway. Also he did not even seem to want to celebrate as he too must have felt uneasy - but you take it don't you. The truth is that this season we have had very few mistakes in our favour by officials (and had a few go against us) so it is nice to get one for a change.

Just be glad we won and move on!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suarez should play up to that image. At the next Liverpool press conference, he should apologise for the handball and look really sad and humbled. But when he gets up to leave, he should smile evily at the camera and wink.

If he scores next Sunday , he should handle the ball after he's scored this time then pick it up then dribble basketball dribble and slam dunk it on the top of the goal.

Would almost be worth it for the yellow card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Next week, Suarez should pick up the ball, spin it on his fingers, Harlem Globetrotters style.

If the ref books him, he should look shocked and say "what did I do???"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Hand ball.
    Not deliberate.
    Goal should have been ruled out.

He'd better not try that at Bounday Park! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At Boundary Park, Suarez will avoid controversy by scoring......then humping a flag featuring the Oldham badge, like Shawn Michaels did to the Canadian flag
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At Boundary Park, Suarez will avoid controversy by scoring......then humping a flag featuring the Oldham badge, like Shawn Michaels did to the Canadian flag

He will then face the wrath of Chaddy the owl :eek:
    He ripped Cyril the swans head off once :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Suarez should be to football what Wolf was to Gladiators.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Suarez should be to football what Wolf was to Gladiators.

Retired? :confused::D
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people on this thread and in the media need to be made aware of the actual law regarding handball:

Excerpt from Law 12 of the game on what constitutes handball:

"Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    • the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    • the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement"

Hence, the linesman clearly regarded the incident as not deliberate, so the goal stood.

The bemusing thing is we all know Luis Suarez will yet again be vilified by the media & tabloids tomorrow (in particular Cantona07's comments today comparing it to Maradona's '86 Hand Of God are beyond parodying); whilst very little (has been or) will be said regarding Jamie Carragher's blatant handball to deny Mansfield a stonewall penalty and deserved replay at Anfield, which both Liverpool & Mansfield managers have agreed was a clear handball offence (probably because he is the same nationality as "Saint" John Terry, and not that of a South American Johnny Foreigner).
  • Options
    ImonfireImonfire Posts: 2,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seellee wrote: »
    Definitely pulled his hand away. Or tries to. I've seen it ten or more times now.

He definitely controls the ball with his hand by pushing it down to his feet.

Whilst not the same situation, Maradona also tried to disguise what really happened.

Either way Mansfield should feel cheated and this game should go to a replay.
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imonfire wrote: »
    He definitely controls the ball with his hand by pushing it down to his feet.

Whilst not the same situation, Maradona also tried to disguise what really happened.

Either way Mansfield should feel cheated and this game should go to a replay.

Codswallop.
This discussion has been closed.