"Ban Car Boot Tuck Shop!"

2»

Comments

• Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what about fruit juices and smoothies?,

They very often contain more sugar than any fizzy drinks do.

Exactly. Fresh squeezed apple juice contains approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar per glass whereas a can of Sprite or 7up contains approximately 3. But lets not let facts get in the way of someone wanting to ban them just because they can't control their child's diet and exercise regime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Exactly. Fresh squeezed apple juice contains approximately 10 teaspoons of sugar per glass whereas a can of Sprite or 7up contains approximately 3. But lets not let facts get in the way of someone wanting to ban them just because they can't control their child's diet and exercise regime.

I'm 38, 6'2" and a size 12, I eat what I want and have never had any weight issues at all. And before you spout about facts, educate yourself on the major difference between refined sugar in pop and natural sugars in fruits.
  • Options
    TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    More importantly, as soon as you start making cash transactions from a vehicle, there's suddenly a whole host of legislation that you need to adhere to. Yes, your vehicle needs to be correctly insured (no longer just SDP). Then you need to have public liability insurance as a business. Plus you need to have a mobile food trading licence from the council, and you need to be subject to food hygiene certification. Plus he needs to be VAT registered.
    You can't just take your van, buy a load of stock from Makro and set up a burger van or tuck shop.

Of course you can. Just don't let the bureaucrats catch you doing it. ;-)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this and thought how wonderfully enterprising it is.

Just FYI what he was doing can be done perfectly legally.

The vehicle would of course need business insurance - easily done.

He would need to be registered with the council as a food business and get street traders consent - easily done.

He would also need to be registered as self employed and pay income tax - again, no major challenges there.

Lastly, Public Liability Insurance at like £50 a year for a business like that, hardly expensive.

Some people are so bloody negative and I think just want these things to fail because they didn't think of them themselves.

He wouldn't have to register for VAT or get a Food Hygiene Certificate (not that either of those things are particularly challenging either).

ETA: Just to clarify as well, he wouldn't need a food licence, as that's for selling hot food after 11pm. He would need to be registered as a food business and have street traders consent, but that is quite different, and somewhat easier.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »

Is there anything remotely nutritious about fizzy pop at all? It makes you fat, raises your blood sugar level and rots your teeth. If parents don't know this, it's sheer uneducated ignorance. If they don't care, it's wilful neglect regarding their child's health.
    orangebird wrote: »
    I'm 38, 6'2" and a size 12, I eat what I want and have never had any weight issues at all. And before you spout about facts, educate yourself on the major difference between refined sugar in pop and natural sugars in fruits.

What are the facts? The only thing fruit juice has going for it are the vitamins, but the free sugar from juice, minus the fiber from the rest of the fruit will raise your blood sugar just as fast as sugar from pop. And the acid and sugar in juice are not friends the enamel on your teeth. Ask any dentist.

Other than being hydrating, no there isn't anything nutritious about pop, but that's not really the point. But in moderation it's no more dangerous than orange juice.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/files/2012/10/how-sweet-is-it-color.pdf

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/apple-juice-as-sugary-as-cocacola-experts-warn-20130824-2sier.html

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/are-squash-and-pure-fruit-juice-better-for-children-than-fizzy-drinks.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=163
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't he Secretary General of the UN?