Options

Radio 1 official!! MATT IS NUMBER ONE!!

Comments

• Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a travesty. If you X Factor numpties liked the song...why not buy and support the original?
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    ^ I'm guessing because people wanted to support Matt/Liked the song/Liked Matt's version more etc.
  • Options
    Magic8BallMagic8Ball Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ I'm guessing because people wanted to support Matt/Liked the song/Liked Matt's version more etc.

Yeah, especially those 90,000 that pre-ordered it before they even knew who had won the X-Factor!

It just goes to show what I have been saying for years, you could spray paint a dog turd gold and sprinkle it with glitter and some people would still buy it!
  • Options
    EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Magic8Ball wrote: »
    Yeah, especially those 90,000 that pre-ordered it before they even knew who had won the X-Factor!

It just goes to show what I have been saying for years, you could spray paint a dog turd gold and sprinkle it with glitter and some people would still buy it!

90k people pre-ordered before the show was over? Wow that's a bit worrying.

Where'd you find that statistic?
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would of happened no matter who won the show, so it's hardly an achievement. Those sales are nothing at all to do with Matt - he actually sold less than Joe did last year.
  • Options
    TarlonTarlon Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    miles19740 wrote: »
    What a travesty. If you X Factor numpties liked the song...why not buy and support the original?

I love Biffy and also like Matts take on 'many of horror'.....nice to see Biffys version in the top 10 today, went under the radar when it was released but Matt covering it has given it the exposure I wish it had had the first time around, surely up there with 'that golden rule' and 'bubbles' off the album.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zane Lowe said on his show "why do people need a villian before they get behind their band ?. why not just go out and support biffy anyway ?". I think he's right for the most part - people who don't like cowell will suddenly claim to be biffy clyro fans when they probably couldn't name one other song they've had out ..
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    How depressing:( A win for formulaic, non-original and non - creative tut!

Those who bought this rubbish...feel ashamed. :mad:

Oooh look at me I'm so cool, my taste in music is the best and all yours is cack. Get over yourself.

All you music snobs need to wind your necks in. We all have different tastes in music. Find something more important to moan about!:mad:
  • Options
    Born FreeBorn Free Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even Mr Blobby was Christmas no.1 at one stage.
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How depressing:( A win for formulaic, non-original and non - creative tut!

Those who bought this rubbish...feel ashamed. :mad:

I hope you can come out of your depression before Christmas comes. :( After all "Tis the Season to be Jolly"! ;) Santa might just leave some original and creative tut in your stocking this year. ;)

BTW I don't feel ashamed or guilty about my musical preferences. ;) Neither should you feel depressed about it. ;)
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member

And who are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't buy - what they should or shouldn't like?

Is Southampton, in your location, a code for North Korea?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I bought the single because I wanted to.
    No, I don't feel ashamed.

By the time you get to my age you don't give a flying fig that other people you don't know and never will know think about your choices of music, art, literature, cinema, food etc. You do things to please yourself.

Sometimes you choose things that are unusual and not what most people would go for and people criticise you for that, sometimes you choose mainstream stuff that lots of people like and people criticise you for that.

Once you realise it is of absolutely no relevance to your life what strangers might happen to judge you on, things become much less stressful and quite empowering really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member

Because I like Matt's version more :D
    I love it, and I don't think that he original is that great.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    Isn't calling fellow posters numpties, a breach of DS rules?
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a daft question and he calls US numpties???

We want Matt's version so what would be the point of buying the origonal?:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,950
    Forum Member

I have copies of both... am I still on the numpty list? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »
    What a daft question and he calls US numpties???

We want Matt's version so what would be the point of buying the origonal?:confused:

Because if you have good musical taste you do not buy covers, and particularly X factor music.

If you do like it, your opinion is invalid, and you are either middle-aged, female, housewife or teen, possibly all of it at once, the scum of music lovers.
    Even worse, you may only buy it because Simon Cowell tells you to, in you enthusiasm for making him richer.

Of course, if you buy the original because it is an original, you are showing how level headed and able of independent thoughts you are. And you DO like it, because you have excellent taste.

In turn, this will allow you to tell other people what music they must like, perhaps tell some that they have cr*p taste, and start working on them to make sure they improve.
    You could also be as condescending and insulting as you like, because you have good taste.

Are these not good enough reasons to buy the original? :p
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    Because if you have good musical taste you do not buy covers, and particularly X factor music.

If you do like it, your opinion is invalid, and you are either middle-aged, female, housewife or teen, possibly all of it at once, the scum of music lovers.
    Even worse, you may only buy it because Simon Cowell tells you to, in you enthusiasm for making him richer.

Of course, if you buy the original because it is an original, you are showing how level headed and able of independent thoughts you are. And you DO like it, because you have excellent taste.

In turn, this will allow you to tell other people what music they must like, perhaps tell some that they have cr*p taste, and start working on them to make sure they improve.
    You could also be as condescending and insulting as you like, because you have good taste.

Are these not good enough reasons to buy the original? :p

LOL yes I can see that this is how some people think - pathetic :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the top post-pub games we play in our house is "covers that are better than the original" on spotify. There are actually loads - some controversial choices and some everyone agrees with (Mr Tambourine Man by the Byrds is loads better than Bob Dylan's for instance).

I've bought Matt's single. It isn't better than Biffy Clyro's version but I do like it and I like him. Frankly neither are going to be gracing any Top 100 songs of all time lists. Bit of a storm in a tea cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If buying X Factor music is something done by the stereotypical middle aged bored housewife then thinking your taste in music is superior to others is something done by the stereotypical late teen/early 20s male with a greatly inflated sense of their own intelligence.

As always with stereotypes, neither of those are totally correct although both have a tiny grain of truth within them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some evil so-and-so has written this on the Sky News website:-

"A strong rumour is circulating the net stating Simon Cowell orchestrated the number one spot by engaging the services of a third party to purchase enough copies to guarrantee the number one spot. Evidently he was prepared to stand the cost himself as to lose to a single of 4 minutes silence would have had major commercial and persomal damage to both himself and x factor. Yet again it would apprear Cowell is manipulating the outcome of public opinion."
    (Spelling errors included!)

When you think how many people voted for Matt, and not everyone votes, his sales were not that exceptional in the scale of things. As for Cowell using a 3rd party - like he would be THAT stupid???? :eek: Just the fact that this person has posted this is probably enough to set the match to the fire - what is wrong with some folks???? :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ anyone can write anything :confused:

Any Matt hater will be tempted to write something like that, and some will.

It's just another piece of nothingness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that begins with "A strong rumour is circulating the net ..." should be changed to "A strong rumour is circulating my brain".
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I don't like the song, so I obviously didn't buy it, but I'm sort of happy for Matt, as it's a slap in the face for all those "Look at me! Look how edgy I am! I like obscure rock music which nobody else knows about! You're so stupid, you don't really like the music you listen to, you're brainwashed by a man on the TV to buy songs!" people, although, in a way, it is sort of proving their point, as the song isn't very good, although it is better than the original.

I guess it's all down to opinion, but I think those anti-chart music people should learn to respect other people's opinions.

So that's why you think they bought it.To oppose the opposers.Absolutely fantastic reason to buy it :o.I've always thought that why alot of people buy X-factor stuff as well.
    BTW Not all anti-X-factor people are anti-chart music.The majority of people in the UK are pretty much anti-chart I would think though apart from the odd single.Don't think the stuff that comes out of X-factor is what you find mostly in the charts even.X-factor stuff is usually more compatible with radio 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's why you think they bought it.To oppose the opposers.Absolutely fantastic reason to buy it :o.I've always thought that why alot of people buy X-factor stuff as well.
    BTW Not all anti-X-factor people are anti-chart music.The majority of people in the UK are pretty much anti-chart I would think though apart from the odd single.Don't think the stuff that comes out of X-factor is what you find mostly in the charts even.X-factor stuff is usually more compatible with radio 2.

I think that is absolutely true. I wonder why people build it up into the single handed destroyer of popular music as we know it?