Options

Do you shop at Iceland?

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aspicjelly wrote: »
    I like there cadburys chocolate roll and there milk, they used to do nice chicken wings spicy things . I dont mind the shop the till people seem to know there job and are not slovenly like big supermarkets.

The staff in my local Iceland are brilliant, very helpful. If the car parks were better I would go more often.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of food snobs on here !
    I bet a lot of them do actually shop here, but god forbid they admit it to their equally snooty friends ! :D

Yes, because liking fresh meat and not eating ready meals makes you a food snob. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not much anymore, but their plain frozen veg - peas, sprouts, corn cobs etc - were always good value.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I have never bought a prawn ring, i like my food to sound sensible.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Yes, because liking fresh meat and not eating ready meals makes you a food snob. :rolleyes:

They sell fresh meat :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    They sell fresh meat :rolleyes:

I specifically mentioned that I wouldn't buy frozen meat in my original post though which is what I was referring to.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of food snobs on here !

“That word. I do not think it means what you think it means”
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to go and buy the Uncle Bens microwave rice as it was only £1 but the Heron's Shop next door are selling Patak Pilau 2 for £1 and it is better. Some of the ready meals in Iceland look a bit naff although there are never a shortage of folk in there buying them.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The staff in my local Iceland are brilliant, very helpful. If the car parks were better I would go more often.

Really good in ours as well, think yourself lucky that you have a carpark at yours. I do like the delivery service, I have not used it for a while mind you, but it is a good idea.

This is something supermarkets could do, I would find it more useful than online shopping which I have never used and I doubt I ever will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    I used to go and buy the Uncle Bens microwave rice as it was only £1 but the Heron's Shop next door are selling Patak Pilau 2 for £1 and it is better. Some of the ready meals in Iceland look a bit naff although there are never a shortage of folk in there buying them.

That is because people got less money, but then they don't realise that cooking from scratch with fresh ingredients cost less.

Saying that I tend not to cook a lot from scratch lately, due to time more than anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried it once the Greggs stuff was good, the steak slices were great (never tried them before even from Greggs) but their ready meals were disgusting, only fit for the bin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if so what do you make of their food? I think 90% of their own brand food is complete crap especially their ready meals for £1 :<

I only really shop there now for their "Greggs" frozen range.

Actually if you do a very selective shop you can grap a bargain or two -
    For instance they sell jinn west tuna for a pound a tin - tesco charge £2 for the exact same tin!
    John west pack of 4 tuna £3.50
    Tesco charge £5 - £6 for exactly the same item!
    4 vegetable burgers £1 in Iceland
    Tesco's are £1.99!

Yes I agree they do sell junk high fat foods, but if you delve a little deeper you can buy healthy food and save money. :-)
  • Options
    anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regular buys,
    1.Fresh chicken(breasts,drumsticks,thighs and wings)
    2.Frozen fish fillets(Salmon,cod and whitefish)
    3.Tomatoes

Sometimes,I buy
    1.Fresh diced beef
    2.Cheddar cheese
    3.Potatoes
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aspicjelly wrote: »
    I have never bought a prawn ring, i like my food to sound sensible.

Not a fan of Spotted Dick then?
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a fan of Spotted Dick then?

:D He He!.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I dont shop at Iceland ..... because i have no idea where there is one around here. I haven't seen one.

I used to shop there occasionally when i lived in Wickford as they had a shop in the high street. Their cornettos were delish. I loved the chocolate and nut ones. I never bought very much, but some of their stuff was excellent and cheap. I would definately shop there occasionally if there was a local store.

I think that is a very good reason why you don't shop there anymore.:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I got the jam rolly polly once, Aunt Bessies make and it was dry and horrid :(
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shop from there regularly. Their pizzas are really good (the thin ones) and half the price of supermarket ones. I also really like their range of chicken goujons etc that only use pieces of chicken breast instead of the mush some of the other brands use (even Birds Eye).

Their fresh chicken thighs are always the best value around, as as their free range eggs (£1 for 6). I buy a lot of their frozen party range all year round because it provides something different and quick and easy for days I don't feel like cooking. Things like chicken spears, hoisin duck skewers, lemon and herb chicken chunks etc.
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even better now they do online shopping. I don't understand if Iceland can pack and deliver your shopping for free then why cant sainsburys,tescos asda etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even better now they do online shopping. I don't understand if Iceland can pack and deliver your shopping for free then why cant sainsburys,tescos asda etc

Since when? i remember a few years back Iceland did online shopping, this was when Tesco started doing it but none of the others did, then they done away with it and went to delivery only.

I am pretty sure Iceland don't do online shopping, they just deliver.

Ok, I just had a look at their website and they are starting a trial in some places, I hope they don't stop their home delivery service as I much prefer that to online shopping, which is something i would never use.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Area88 wrote: »
    I quite like the Iceland Quarter pounders, they said 100% British now and I know they are cheap at £1 but I've bought them twice now and really like them. Yes they are the same range that got caught up in the horsemeat scandal but I was curious.

Did they taste a bit "off" at all or did the packet say "Best before the 3.30 at Newmarket"? :D
  • Options
    Bald1Bald1 Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    My opinion of Iceland is low to be honest as I worked for them in the early/ mid 90's. So the idea of shopping there was always a no no and still is. Not sure what they are like now though but they were well known for the unpaid overtime. I used to get 10% discount (wow!) and to be honest I gave the vouchers away.
  • Options
    Jakone-BeeJakone-Bee Posts: 1,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's for people on the bread line.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been once before, but ended up spending more than I would normally and found the selection of, and quality of food to be pretty poor.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the past few comment surprise me, i split my shopping between iceland and asda and save a lot with iceland they sell kingsmill/warburtons bread, doritos, walkers crisps, cold meats inc bernard matthews, choc bics, pepsi max, irn bru and robinsons juice all cheaper than asda and thats not including the prices on branded frozen food, and i am not on the breadline