Options

Howard Webb - another glaring mistake !

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Come off it,Dowd is just as bad,he was fooled into giving Man City the penalty on Sunday.

Maybe he is , but in the match I specified he was excellent .

Webby did well last night . Maybe just a glitch :)
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZicoZ wrote: »
    Mmmmm a newbie and another Man U fan .... :)

Welcome to our strange little community .

Hope you are mature enough to hold and express your own thoughts and opinions and don't just end up disagreeing with EVERY single view I have , like so many in here do , sadly .

We need some lone wolves to freshen things up , we have plenty who find it easier to run with the pack .

Don't worry mate, I'll be fine... besides I love watching Barca play football, I'm just thankful we get to watch Messi, Iniesta and Xavi all at their peak together... That said I prefer to see RM win the league as they like to get a bit more stuck in... and Busquets does my head in.

All the play acting does my head in, and everyone does it; I think what grates me the most is when it's the "hard cases" that do it like Pepe, Drogba and Busquets... Give me 11 Nemanja Vidic's
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Don't worry mate, I'll be fine... besides I love watching Barca play football, I'm just thankful we get to watch Messi, Iniesta and Xavi all at their peak together...

Frightening to think Messi probably hasn't reached his peak yet ;)
  • Options
    mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    Kierenj wrote: »
    Don't worry mate, I'll be fine... besides I love watching Barca play football, I'm just thankful we get to watch Messi, Iniesta and Xavi all at their peak together... That said I prefer to see RM win the league as they like to get a bit more stuck in... and Busquets does my head in.

All the play acting does my head in, and everyone does it; I think what grates me the most is when it's the "hard cases" that do it like Pepe, Drogba and Busquets... Give me 11 Nemanja Vidic's

Not at Barca, according to Zico ;)
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    mel1213 wrote: »
    Not at Barca, according to Zico ;)

Is that all you've got ? :)

Look I've already admitted that a couple of the Barca lads aren't angels as they've ' exaggerated ' a few things in the past , but it's just plain daft to label the whole team and club as cheats.

I'd still take Alves and Busq's occasional antics over half a team of thugs simply kicking anything that moves . It's a crying shame to see a brilliant passer like Xabi Alonso being turned into a midfield enforcer . It's a waste if talent at the very least !
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Knew when I saw he was referee in tonight's champions league semi there was going to be at least one controversial incident
    missed a blatant hand ball when score was 0\0
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention the goalie was wasting time from the first minuit & didnt get booked till the end.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Webb had a decent game, but was too lenient on Madrid systematically kicking Lewandowski.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See. Mourino have a pop at Webb in post match interview
    the referee missed several decisions but when I saw who the referee it wasn't a surprise really
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally i like howard webb, i thought his performance last night was a breath of fresh air in terms of refereeing in the CL, these soft card happy european referee's ruin matches because they cannot wait to hand out cards so they can be the centre of attention, give me a referee like webb who is extremely reluctant to hand out cards over one of those card happy foreign ref's any day. Howard webb's priority when he goes onto a football pitch is to keep the game 11 v 11, that should be the priority for every referee as red cards ruin football matches not just for the team that receives it but for the fans as well who spent good money to watch a game of football, if that means players are allowed to get away with a bit more then so be it. So lewandowski got knocked about a bit by ramos, big deal, when did football fans become so soft, it was a physical battle between a big strong striker and a tough defender...
  • Options
    Ian KaneIan Kane Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally i like howard webb, i thought his performance last night was a breath of fresh air in terms of refereeing in the CL, these soft card happy european referee's ruin matches because they cannot wait to hand out cards so they can be the centre of attention, give me a referee like webb who is extremely reluctant to hand out cards over one of those card happy foreign ref's any day. Howard webb's priority when he goes onto a football pitch is to keep the game 11 v 11, that should be the priority for every referee as red cards ruin football matches not just for the team that receives it but for the fans as well who spent good money to watch a game of football, if that means players are allowed to get away with a bit more then so be it. So lewandowski got knocked about a bit by ramos, big deal, when did football fans become so soft, it was a physical battle between a big strong striker and a tough defender...

That's a joke right ? The referee's only mind set is to make sure the laws of the game are upheld. If a player gets sent of its the players fault, not the referee.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Kane wrote: »
    That's a joke right ? The referee's only mind set is to make sure the laws of the game are upheld. If a player gets sent of its the players fault, not the referee.

Man U V Real? Nani was the refs fault
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

referee's make mistakes on a regular basis when they send a player off unfairly, it ruins the match for the team on the wrong end and for the supporters who paid good money to watch the game, referee's are far too willing to send a player off these days, a red card should be seen as a last resort for referee's when the tackle is so bad there is no alternative, not one of those ridiculous red's where a player honestly tries to win the ball, red cards ruin matches, failing to give a red card does not...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Man U V Real? Nani was the refs fault
    referee's make mistakes on a regular basis when they send a player off unfairly, it ruins the match for the team on the wrong end and for the supporters who paid good money to watch the game, referee's are far too willing to send a player off these days, a red card should be seen as a last resort for referee's when the tackle is so bad there is no alternative, not one of those ridiculous red's where a player honestly tries to win the ball, red cards ruin matches, failing to give a red card does not...

I'm not saying they don't make mistakes. We see regularly that they do. What I am saying is, referees should not be judging a decision on whether it'll ruin the game for the spectator or not. It should purely be based on the the rules.

I can't stand people who whinge when someone gets sent off (correctly) and then moan about the ref ruining the game. What happens when the person who should have been sent off pops up and scores the winner because the ref was feeling lenient that day ? The ref gets demoted for a shoddy display and the other team are robbed of points. You carry on but I want to see the ref do his job properly (this is not about mistakes), even if it penalises my team because it was the player who let the team down not the ref.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,958
    Forum Member
    Players know in the PL that almost anything goes in the first quarter, but it is dangerous, and leaves the referee having to get to grips with a game that often gets out of hand. Treat the offence appropriately, whenever it occurs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying they don't make mistakes. We see regularly that they do. What I am saying is, referees should not be judging a decision on whether it'll ruin the game for the spectator or not. It should purely be based on the the rules.

I can't stand people who whinge when someone gets sent off (correctly) and then moan about the ref ruining the game. What happens when the person who should have been sent off pops up and scores the winner because the ref was feeling lenient that day ? The ref gets demoted for a shoddy display and the other team are robbed of points. You carry on but I want to see the ref do his job properly (this is not about mistakes), even if it penalises my team because it was the player who let the team down not the ref.

A football team are not robbed of points because a referee fails to send someone off, that is a ridiculous thing to say. 11 players versus 11 whichever team loses usually does so because the other team played better over 90 minutes, a team that blames losing on the referee for not sending someone off is just making excuses. Let me ask you this question, which refereeing mistake is more detrimental to a fair game of football, failing to give a red card for a bad tackle, or wrongly giving a red card to a player which puts his team at a major disadvantage for the rest of the game? Clearly the second of the two refereeing mistakes is the worse of the two, the red card to nani singlehandedly eliminated manchester united from the champions league, that is how costly a bad red card is to a team, referee's should only give a red card as a last resort for a genuinely terrible tackle in my opinion...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A football team are not robbed of points because a referee fails to send someoes usually does so because the other team played better over 90 minutes, a team that blames losing on the referee for not sending someone off is just making excuses. Let me ask you this question, which refereeing mistake is more detrimental to a fair game of football, failing to give a red card for a bad tackle, or wrongly giving a red card to a player which puts his team at a major disadvantage for the rest of the game? Clearly the second of the two refereeing mistakes is the worse of the two, the red card to nani singlehandedly eliminated manchester united from the champions league, that is how costly a bad red card is to a team, referee's should only give a red card as a last resort for a genuinely terrible tackle in my opinion...

You read my post, right ? If a referee is feeling lenient and, in your terms not wanting to ruin a game, gives a yellow instead of a red then yes, the other team have been robbed if said player scores the winner. First of all he shouldn't be on the pitch and secondly isn't subsequently banned for his actions because the referee doesn't want to ruin a game.

As for the second part I admitted they do make mistakes. Unless you're questioning the referees integrity you have to believe that they in their own mind have got the decision right.

I've heard the commentator several times utter the words 'the referee has ruined the game with that red card when just a yellow would have done' even though in replays the red card was shown to be justified. Rules are there to be upheld and again, unless you think they're on the take, they make the call on what they see in that split second. They should be held more accountable but I'm sure they do the best under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Webb misses crucial decision at old Trafford lol