Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

Comments

• Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Messed up the Sky+ last night, so tuned into Sky Sports F1's qualifying rerun at 10:15. During an ad break in the build-up, they showed a trail for tomorrow's race with Simon telling us all of the qualifying positions. Couldn't believe it! Totally ruined qualifying for me.

Blimey, that's just ridiculous of them... just... why would they do that? :o It's not like the re-run will have a small audience either, as you can't record Now TV there would probably have been plenty of viewers on that platform that also had the result spoiled.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Messed up the Sky+ last night, so tuned into Sky Sports F1's qualifying rerun at 10:15. During an ad break in the build-up, they showed a trail for tomorrow's race with Simon telling us all of the qualifying positions. Couldn't believe it! Totally ruined qualifying for me.

They're a bastard for that!
    Ive seen trailers with the quali results in other Sky Sports shows before they've even rerun the quali show from an early morning LIVE broadcast!
    Email them and play merry hell over it.
  • Options
    EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    DanManF1 wrote: »
    No, he commentated on FP3 in Australia for Sky last year, too.

Ah ok thanks, still was nice to hear him up there allowed to be a bit more relaxed and in-depth although I don't think his style would suit Free Practice all the time, and obviously it was only because there is no Ant this weekend.

Have to say though, I can't help but feel a little disappointed by Sky's coverage so far this weekend, and how it feels they've approached this season. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I'm a massive fan of their football coverage which at times is breath-takingly good, they also have very impressive coverage of Cricket and lots of other sports.
    Now, the coverage of F1 is very good, and it doesn't feel right to moan, especially when their coverage it better than the BBC's in my opinion. But it just doesn't feel as if they are totally committed to making their coverage the best it could be-they've settled for the status quo. I don't think it requires massive more money either to be honest with you, a new face-in any capacity-would have been nice to see just to offer something a little new and different. Also in general it would be nicer to have more use of the SkyPad (although I respect that this is unlikely in weekends without AD) but technical features on there with Ted etc may have been nice to start the season.
    We're entering year four with Sky, more years than we had with fully live rights with the BBC and I don't see anything that is massively different from their coverage in 2012. Damon has excelled and is now a very, very strong pundit, Johnny has suffered from overuse (constantly on every F1 show and practice sessions, he would benefit from less exposure) as well as a bit too much of the Brit-fanfare. Also Simon, is solid but not really spectacular, he's no Jake that's for sure. The coverage as a whole feels a lot less 'free and on the hoof' than the BBC's did for 2009-2011 in particular.
    However Damon, Brundle, Croft and Ted are all very, very strong and do make Sky's coverage the best out there, so why the moaning? I just feel there could be more to offer. Sky's football coverage was the best, didn't stop them signing Jamie Carragher and Thierry Henry to add even more to their coverage over the last couple of years. It feels as if Sky are just quite complacent and happy with the status quo, but it would be nice just to see them push the boundaries, or change things up a little more. Or maybe I'm just being greedy!!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say though, I can't help but feel a little disappointed by Sky's coverage so far this weekend, and how it feels they've approached this season.

I can't remember what it was - might have been the F1 show after free practice? - but it had Lazenby and Herbert on a rollercoaster with icecream and Crofty dicking around on an indoor ski slope and I just thought...why am I watching this?

I think over the previous seasons I've finally learned the lesson that there's nothing in the build up worth getting up for, at least not the full 90 minutes worth. This morning I got up just over an hour before the quali started and watched the recording of FP3 rather than paying attention to the pre-show. It's not hopelessly incompetent stuff, there's just rarely anything that's "must see", it's all pretty by-the-numbers.
  • Options
    Frank FurtFrank Furt Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoying the Formula E qualifying live stream. Lively commentary and smooth HD video. (Although the app has defaulted to Russian ??)

Edit: hate the way the clock runs on at the split before jumping back to display the sector time though. Annoying delay.
  • Options
    EastendwhovianEastendwhovian Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I can't remember what it was - might have been the F1 show after free practice? - but it had Lazenby and Herbert on a rollercoaster with icecream and Crofty dicking around on an indoor ski slope and I just thought...why am I watching this?

I think over the previous seasons I've finally learned the lesson that there's nothing in the build up worth getting up for, at least not the full 90 minutes worth. This morning I got up just over an hour before the quali started and watched the recording of FP3 rather than paying attention to the pre-show. It's not hopelessly incompetent stuff, there's just rarely anything that's "must see", it's all pretty by-the-numbers.

Yeah it was the F1 show and I have to say I agree to an extent, and did miss a bit of the build up this morning as I was watching my FP3 recording, same as you. I think it isn't must see because there isn't that feeling that anything can happen, or a pundit will say something controversial. Damon being a little tough on Red Bull, was the only time this happened today and it was blink and you miss it. I think either a new presenter to bring more out of the guys, or replacing or even just rotating JH with another may just move the coverage on a bit.

Also just watching the BBC stuff, what has happened to Suzi Perry? She looks so much more confident and more fluent, heard her on the 5 live preview on Thursday in which she was very good as well...Hope it continues...Well done to her! Big change from when I last saw her, but have only seen her in bits and bobs to be honest as I mainly watch sky, but there definitely seems to be an improvement.
  • Options
    Frank FurtFrank Furt Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what has happened to Suzi Perry?

A contract extension ;)

Although both Lewis and Jenson had to gently correct her questions in their post-qualy interviews. I still don't feel she has made enough effort to understand the technicalities of the sport in any depth which results in some awkward interviews.

5Live preview was good though.
  • Options
    green_gibbongreen_gibbon Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    They're a bastard for that!
    Ive seen trailers with the quali results in other Sky Sports shows before they've even rerun the quali show from an early morning LIVE broadcast!
    Email them and play merry hell over it.
    I dropped Sky an email and they apologised and said they'd passed it onto Sky Sports for investigation and will get back to me. Hope that means they'll be more considerate in the future!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,702
    Forum Member
    VDUBster wrote: »
    I agree with the colour stripe, if you don't know what team the driver is racing for, a colour isnt going to let you know.
    But it does tell you who drives for the same team which is always a useful thing to look at to compare their performance.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky spoilt the result on the 3pm re run as well!!

Apart from that I have really enjoyed my first full Sky session. Martin hasn't half aged though, looks and sounds older.

But poor show for ruining the result!

Up at 3.30am for the full moneys worth tomorrow!! I will watch the Beeb this evening, glad to see some nice comments for Suzi, she has improved massively over the last few years a bit more research she would be excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe someone could let Brundle, Crofty or Ted know, I can't imagine Sky customer services will have the ability to do anything broadcast wise, but the presenters might be able to knock a few heads together. That said if I'd paid for Now TV for the day, I'd be asking customer services for a refund on principle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say I really like what Damon Hill has to say, very measured well informed points. Doesn't fire from the hip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    Maybe someone could let Brundle, Crofty or Ted know, I can't imagine Sky customer services will have the ability to do anything broadcast wise, but the presenters might be able to knock a few heads together. That said if I'd paid for Now TV for the day, I'd be asking customer services for a refund on principle.

I have just emailed them. Very poor. I can understand the advert on Sky Sports 1, 2 or whatever but on the F1 channel it just looks totally stupid. Very embarrassing mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's, to date, the fanboost winners in Formula E AFAIK (in no particular order):

Senna Legge DiGrassi
    Senna Legge Heidfeld
    Duran Vergne Heidfeld
    Senna Vergne Heidfeld
    Senna Vergne Duran

So:

Senna x 4
    Vergne x 3
    Heidfeld x 3
    Duran x 2
    Legge x 2
    Di Grassi x 1

Anyone else thinking maybe they should just can it...giving the same few drivers the advantages all the time seems kinda pointless.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up with the Beeb's highlights programme. The new titles are *fab*, IMHO. Even better than the titles for the last couple of years. A great evolution. Also worth noting that the new-style BBC graphics have come across to the F1 coverage (now 14:9 safe and a bit more glossy than the previous set).

As for the new FOM graphics, they will take some getting used to. I suppose we had 5 years of the previous design - these new ones certainly hark back to the 2004-9 graphics set and are definitely in the ubiquitous 'flat' idiom. I'm sure they'll grow on me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All right I admit, apart from the fanboost, I'm becoming a bit of a convert for Formula E.

It could do with a slightly more stable driver roster and a bit more focus on what's happening at the critical pitstop segment, but actually I've enjoyed the last three races.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    That was a good race. Track was a bit nuts but I guess that covers how slow they are going.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Forumla E could have its own thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else thinking maybe they should just can it...giving the same few drivers the advantages all the time seems kinda pointless.

Definitely, it's not within the spirit of any sporting competition and is pointless.
    Just catching up with the Beeb's highlights programme. The new titles are *fab*, IMHO. Even better than the titles for the last couple of years. A great evolution. Also worth noting that the new-style BBC graphics have come across to the F1 coverage (now 14:9 safe and a bit more glossy than the previous set).

As for the new FOM graphics, they will take some getting used to. I suppose we had 5 years of the previous design - these new ones certainly hark back to the 2004-9 graphics set and are definitely in the ubiquitous 'flat' idiom. I'm sure they'll grow on me.

I do like the new "metro style" graphics from FOM - they're clean, and a lot easier to read. Never was much of a fan of the oblique version they had.

The new BBC titles were good, but I was a massive fan of the previous version they had, so these will have to grow on me.
    All right I admit, apart from the fanboost, I'm becoming a bit of a convert for Formula E.

It could do with a slightly more stable driver roster and a bit more focus on what's happening at the critical pitstop segment, but actually I've enjoyed the last three races.

The trouble for me (apart from Fanboost) is their director seems to have taken lessons from the WTCC in terms of inserting spectacularly badly-timed pit/crowd reaction shots, when they should be showing the race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjr wrote: »
    The trouble for me (apart from Fanboost) is their director seems to have taken lessons from the WTCC in terms of inserting spectacularly badly-timed pit/crowd reaction shots, when they should be showing the race.

You're right, this is fair comment.

I mean it's definitely a far from perfect series overall for many minor reasons, but certainly the racing has been fairly frenetic in the last few, which has made a big difference to my opinion of it.
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thst was a pretty damn exciting few last laps.

The direction was once again lacking though, after the F1-esque over use of etart replay they didnt shoe many at all really, especially in regards to Bird jumping from 11th to 8th at the end.

Shame for Bird there though. FE's pit stop quite often shakes things up though.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Does BBC have 5.1 audio for this season of is that still only on Sky?
    I dropped Sky an email and they apologised and said they'd passed it onto Sky Sports for investigation and will get back to me. Hope that means they'll be more considerate in the future!

Glad they've replied and said sorry.
    Still bloody amateurish from Sky though. Surely common sense prevails when creating the playlist to not have a promo with a spoiler in it.
    Let us know what they say in the next reply regarding the investigation.
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    racefreak wrote: »
    So pissed that it is still impossible to sync the timing app with the tv pictures. I pauze it a few seconds, then it is in sync for 10 seconds but it loses about a second every 10 seconds so after a few minutes the timing is about a minute behind the tv pictures.

In the 2013 app this worked perfectly, but since last year I can't use the app anymore. It spoils the results on TV because sport1 is 10 seconds behind the app (around 6 seconds on bbc)

Does the team radio work if you delay it by a few seconds to sync with the t.v If i remember correctly it didnt last year.
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member

I Also had the quali result ruined - will have to disable push notifications in future on the Sky Sports App - Was unable to watch this morning due to working.

Edit - Turned them off now - As I know i'll get another notification tomorrow spoiling the result :p
  • Options
    hobnob_monsterhobnob_monster Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has either Tanja from Sky Deutschland or the lady reporter from Sky Italia been on SSF1 at all this weekend? Wonder why they bothered introducing them on the F1 Show...
This discussion has been closed.