Options

The Bridge 2 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the thing that Saga rubs on her gums sometimes?
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as an additional note if anyone has a specific question about a location etc if they ask here I can ask my (Danish) husband. He comes from Copenhagen.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    As for the location aspect - I also have no clue most of the time when they're in Denmark and when they're in Sweden (or which characters are Danish / Swedish). I still enjoy it though. In fact it sometimes adds (unintentionally) to the mystery! :D

Yeah - its all just SwediDenmark to me - with occasional trips over this big bridge they've got in the middle.
    I wonder what effect the bridge has had on language evolution? Is Malmo becoming more Danish than the rest of Sweden? Perhaps it may want to merge with Copenhagen one day?
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the thing that Saga rubs on her gums sometimes?

google "snus"
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    google "snus"
    Interesting. I have never heard of it before.
  • Options
    Mel O'DramaMel O'Drama Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Random theory alert!

Saga is pregnant but doesn't realise yet. Reason? That conversation with the nanny and the way she loosened her trousers after everyone else had left the office...

K

I did wonder about the trousers [my trousers getting tight was first sign I had] ... well put together with the Nanny conversation. I had not got that far! :)
  • Options
    wollygobblewollygobble Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I wonder what effect the bridge has had on language evolution? Is Malmo becoming more Danish than the rest of Sweden? Perhaps it may want to merge with Copenhagen one day?
    That's an interesting point, because if the picture we are being presented with is an accurate one, then the questions about language raised by Miriam_R are equally applicable to real life. If Swedes and Danes are mixing in the workplace (and elsewhere in the evening?), and not using English, then Danish slang will infiltrate into the Malmo dialect, and pronunciation adjustments may be made for better understanding. This could eventually result in a new dialect - Svedansk!
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    google "snus"

Interesting - had no idea that's what it was.
    I recall back in the '80s there was an attempt to introduce us Brits to the delights of mouth tobacco - principly the brand "Skoal Bandit".
    Concerns over the delights of mouth/throat cancer skuppered that and it was banned.
    I think you end up spitting a lot like with chewing tobacco.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I also love how the Swedes pronounce Laura. when the teacher was calling her

"Lowra! LOWRA!!!"

I couldn't stop laughing

That's how Italians pronounce the name actually. She actually pronounced it more like 'Low-wa'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Some general points I noticed:

1. The talk of sex got annoying quickly. It was a little bit of overkill.
    2. Is that REALLY how Danes/Swedes sing happy birthday?
    3. I recognise the actress who played Bodil. Was she Wiggy in Series 1? Or was she in The Killing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

3. I recognise the actress who played Bodil. Was she Wiggy in Series 1? Or was she in The Killing?

Bodil is played by Lotte Andersen. She played Brix's boss/lover in The Killing.

Bodil's sister, Caroline, is played by Lotte Munk. She played the female soldier who had THE canoe in S2 of The Killing;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caroline is looking at photos of Viktoria(the new speaker) with her PA Dharma. She asks ''were they taken before the....?'' Dharma says no they are all new. That begs the question of what is the ''before''.

I'm thinking, like others, that Viktoria is Motherof3. I wonder if some tragedy befell her and that's why she is on a killing spree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's how Danes sing it. It goes on for ever. Not sure about the Swedes. There is much table banging with the singing too. And flag waving :D
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for the location aspect - I also have no clue most of the time when they're in Denmark and when they're in Sweden (or which characters are Danish / Swedish). I still enjoy it though. In fact it sometimes adds (unintentionally) to the mystery! :D

Someone at this week's Guardian episode blog did a long post explaining how you can tell which country you're in. She said things like 'establishing shot of the Malmo police station - drab building' but 'establishing shot of Copenhagen police station - building with neoclassical kind of colonnade' etc. She also said that the police work has always been done at Malmo so far aside from when Saga went to go and see Martin and Martin consulting Lillian.

Also if Saga goes first on a raid they're in Sweden; if Martin goes first they're in Denmark.

I'm lucky in that I can always tell which character is Danish or Swedish. I can just tell the languages apart (after watching so many Scandi dramas!) although I don't speak them. Danish is guttural - sounds like nearly all vowel sounds too. Swedish is spoken more from the front of the mouth and they actually sound as if they have consonants - it is also much more 'sing songy'. However the same Guardian poster has also written a helpful list detailing which character is which nationality.

Oh I have found them now. This is the one about the locations:
    http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/30736322

And this is the one detailing the characters:

http://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/30736949 - Only correction is that Rasmus is actually Swedish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Turning Torso is featured in the opening credits once again. We never saw it in any of the actual scenes in season 1 though. Hoping they use the building this time round. I find it a fascinating structure.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Danes sang that song we heard in The Killing too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Danes sang that song we heard in The Killing too.

I've sat through it many times :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumper time!! Or rather knitwear time:D:D

Was Katarina sporting a nifty Lund jumper(great pair of legs by the way)

What's with Hans' ''The Naked Truth'' faded cardigan thingy? Is that his idea of style.
  • Options
    KleistKleist Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    If that gigolo had been a gentleman he would have declined payment as it was only a quick Jimmy Savile grope
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,688
    Forum Member
    If that gigolo had been a real gentleman he would not have had his services declined largely through his ham-fisted approach.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    If that gigolo had been a real gentleman he would not have had his services declined largely through his ham-fisted approach.

Yes, he didn't even go near the washing machine.
  • Options
    digijunkiedigijunkie Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    I have been misunderstood in my earlier post... I did not mean shooting locations, as in production, but that Laura was involved in the shooting, with guns, that we saw at the end of the last episode :D

I think they do film the bits where they are meant to be.

I am not either Swedish or Danish, but a Finn, but worked in Malmo for some years and learned that everyone just uses their own language. Swedes very rarely attempt to speak Danish, but there are a few words that can be changed to make it easier.

I think this interview illustrates how wrong it can go... it is Jenny Berggren of Ace of Base fame in the Danish Eurovision national final, trying to talk Swedish with a Danish accent. They still subtitled her :D

http://youtu.be/3VxdH5GtMT4?t=57s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It costs about £33 for a trip across the bridge so if they're constantly nipping back and forth it's going to cost them a packet.

Where did you get that price from? It was about SEK 105 for a single ticket last May which works out at about £10. There are also all sorts discount passes and monthly travelcards etc for commuters.

Not sure how much it costs to drive across though, but would assume that there are passes for that too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    It's how Danes sing it. It goes on for ever. Not sure about the Swedes. There is much table banging with the singing too. And flag waving :D

This is the Swedish one. Loads of 'hurrah's at the end of that too usually.

http://youtu.be/mL7Zy520Cxo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digijunkie wrote: »
    Where did you get that price from? It was about SEK 105 for a single ticket last May which works out at about £10. There are also all sorts discount passes and monthly travelcards etc for commuters.

Not sure how much it costs to drive across though, but would assume that there are passes for that too?

Did Low-wa have a BroBizz pass/device on her windscreen?
    http://uk.oresundsbron.com/page/946

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1155/4727749954_dc594d1f6e_z.jpg