✭✭
    kelly82 wrote: »
    :D Mr Studly Dudley is as far from macho as cats get :D

Poor Kitty :D he's the only cat I like!!:eek::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    At any other time my cat ignores my calling her to come in at night.

Over the past week or so she stays out for no more than ten minutes and is waiting to bolt past me into the house as soon as I open the back door.

She is currently upside down on the sofa looking like she's been darted by tranquiliser gun.

MY Cat has been the same this week!
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    My cat never stays out all night, even in the warmer weather, if she wants to go out before I go to bed and doesn't want to come back in (no cat flap!) then I've always got my bedroom window open with a pitched roof outside, so it's no problem for her to come back in that way. Only a slight problem with that though is that she has occasionally brought a little friend in with her, who I have to shoo out.

Not a problem lately though, there's no way she's going out in that garden until she's desperate and then she's back in like a guided missile.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you just get a cat flap your problems are solved!

The cat can come and go whenever she/he pleases...that way you're happy and the cat is happy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I will let my cats decide for themselves, I have a cat flap.
  • Options
    AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of bloody rubbish, why do you people talk as if cats are little human babies?

I have a cat and he goes out whenever he wants, and comes back when he has had too much. When he has gotten too cold he has come back inside.

Jeez some of you need to relax and stop being so over-protective of your animals.

However much you talk like they are, they are not little humans, and they are more than capable of coming back inside if they are too cold.

If I didnt hate the 'rolleyes' symbol so much I would probably use it right now.

Seriously...cats are not your children. They are animals, they can decide themselves.
  • Options
    famemonsterfamemonster Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    My cat was out all last night and he is back in doors this morning no problems. If he asks to go out I let him out simple. In fact he is out again now.

I dont force him out he asks.
  • Options
    babspankybabspanky Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah mine don't want to go out either and usually I can't get them in.
    Good call OP!

I think that Cat's Protection say don't put them out at night anyway.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of bloody rubbish, why do you people talk as if cats are little human babies?

I have a cat and he goes out whenever he wants, and comes back when he has had too much. When he has gotten too cold he has come back inside.

Jeez some of you need to relax and stop being so over-protective of your animals.

However much you talk like they are, they are not little humans, and they are more than capable of coming back inside if they are too cold.

If I didn't hate the 'rolleyes' symbol so much I would probably use it right now.

Seriously...cats are not your children. They are animals, they can decide themselves.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that cats are children, if they were they would soon shout about being locked out in the cold :eek:

The issue is not with cats being allowed out..I doubt anybody has a problem with a cat choosing to be out, and coming back in when it choses...All that is being suggested is that in this exceptionally freezing weather we all should make an effort to ensure our cats are provided with access to some sort of warm shelter during the night.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I didnt hate the 'rolleyes' symbol so much I would probably use it right now.

It's ok if there is a cat flap, but some people put them out as a matter of routine until the morning. In this weather it may be too late as small animals can literally freeze to death.

Don't forget too, cat's weren't originally from this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People just want to make sure their cats are safe and warm! They know they're not children so dont treat us like we're idiots.

We love our pets and want them to be comfortable and safe.

Cats provide a lot of love and affection for many people in many different ways....from the lonely to the elderly and therefore they love their cats like family.

Please dont diss people who express their concern over their pets...they treat them like family and just want them to be happy.
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cat flap so they decide what they want to do. (Usually they spend the night sleeping near a radiator :D )
    I couldn't bear the thought of them being outside in this weather.

A neighbour of mine kept throwing hers out at night last year when we had a cold snap (and it wasn't anywhere near as cold and prolongued as this one).

I reported her to the RSPCA because the cat was very old and frail and she only started throwing it out at night after she got a dog.

They took the cat away. :D
  • Options
    TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine kept throwing hers out at night last year when we had a cold snap (and it wasn't anywhere near as cold and prolongued as this one).

I reported her to the RSPCA because the cat was very old and frail and she only started throwing it out at night after she got a dog.

Congratulations? :confused:
  • Options
    joopyjoopy Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharona68 wrote: »

Pets forum is weird.

Weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any responsible cat owner would have a cat flap fitted so if their cat wanted to go out they can and then when they want to come in they can.

I cannot bear the thought of throwing my cat out at night when I go to bed, knowing that it cannot come in again until I wake up the next day. Especially in this cold weather.

I nearly had a heart attack tonight when Toots (my lovely little 15 month old) tried to get back in via the cat flap and the flap wouldn't open for her! Luckly I was in the kitchen when it happened and all it was was the batteries needed changing on the cat flap (its one of the ones that connects with the tag round her collar) but imagine if that happened during the early hours of the morning and she couldnt get back in! Unbearable to think about.
  • Options
    Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes: She didn't want the cat anymore. The cat didn't deserve to be thrown out at night, during the cold. It was old and frail and had lived inside until the arrival of the dog.

What's wrong with you people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joopy wrote: »
    Pets forum is weird.

Weird.

Explain
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to be able to keep our one in we leave the kitchen window open so she can come and go as she pleases and she always goes out whatever the weather
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't put the cat out?

Christ we can't keep the b***er in - 5 hours the other night!

We started to get worried that he wasn't going to re-appear, then we heard some meowing outside so rushed to let him in. He had the typical innocent look oh his face - ate some food then went straight back outside again!
  • Options
    famemonsterfamemonster Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Mine has been out all day and not returned. I used to get worried but I know the old lady a few doors down takes him in and feeds him. I saw him at her window one day driving past.

The cheeky scamp.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to persuade mine to stay in - but come around 9:00 she wants out and that's the last I see of her till morning. She has a covered cat basket with it's own catflap lined with towels in the greenhouse. That's where she spends the night. She's glad to come in in the morning but only because she is hungry I think.
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joopy wrote: »
    Pets forum is weird.

Weird.
    Too true! If, as some here seem to think, animals have human emotions, my dog would be bloody embarrassed and fall out with me for weeks if I mentioned him on here!
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Explain
    The whole section is self-explanatory