Options

3pm Premier League blackout starts abroad

Comments

• Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    In Ice Hockey, i think you can view ALL games online. However, you cannot watch a team play at home, if you are in that area.

Example: If you lived in Leicester and wanted to watch their home game, you cant. But if they were away, you could.

It would be excellent if clubs could do this. I for one would easily pay £15 to watch Oxford play away if i couldn't attend the game but knew the money was going to the club.

Gabriele Marcotti has advocated a regional system like this and I think in theory its a really good idea.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acmold wrote: »
    Live TV football is starting to kill off Grassroots football. Year on year attendances go down and clubs are going bust as very few people are turning up to watch. We are talking leagues way below the football league. Clubs who used to get 200 or 300 now struggle to get 10 or 20 paying fans. Many parks leagues have folded in the past 10 years. The problem is starting rise up through the football pyramid with many semi pro clubs now having problems major problems, soon it will reach (if it has not already done so) the lower levels of the football league. One only has to look at the attendances at the midweek F.A.Cup ties this week to see the problem they are less than half what they would have been five years ago. You also have to remember small clubs without lights kick-off at 1.30pm or 2pm in the winter months and at that time the lunchtime game is still being shown, some games have even had to be postponed as even players fail to show up because they are in the pub watching a Premiership game. Many will say it does not matter but killing the roots of anything tends to have consequences nearer the top at a later date.

If most Premier League games were moved to Sunday, wouldn't that help with that issue?
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote: »
    In Ice Hockey, i think you can view ALL games online. However, you cannot watch a team play at home, if you are in that area.

Example: If you lived in Leicester and wanted to watch their home game, you cant. But if they were away, you could.

It would be excellent if clubs could do this. I for one would easily pay £15 to watch Oxford play away if i couldn't attend the game but knew the money was going to the club.

Yeah I was going to suggest something similar to the NFL Blackout Rules...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies

Basically, a home game can't be shown in a teams 'market' if the stadiums non-premium seats (i.e. not corporate boxes) aren't sold out 72 hours before the game. They did change the rules slightly in 2012 where teams can now (if they wish) set their own threshold of between 85 and 100% sell out before the game is broadcast. Any seats sold beyond a teams set threshold would be subject to heavier revenue sharing with the league. It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure how it would work in the UK, given our smaller geographical spread. Definitely something worth looking at, though.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Yeah I was going to suggest something similar to the NFL Blackout Rules...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies

Basically, a home game can't be shown in a teams 'market' if the stadiums non-premium seats (i.e. not corporate boxes) aren't sold out 72 hours before the game. They did change the rules slightly in 2012 where teams can now (if they wish) set their own threshold of between 85 and 100% sell out before the game is broadcast. Any seats sold beyond a teams set threshold would be subject to heavier revenue sharing with the league. It's an interesting concept but I'm not sure how it would work in the UK, given our smaller geographical spread. Definitely something worth looking at, though.

The NFL's rules are solving a different problem to the one football is facing, though. It's not really Premier League attendances the 3pm Blackout is meant to support - its the turnout for lower league clubs playing their games at 3pm on a Saturday.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    The NFL's rules are solving a different problem to the one football is facing, though. It's not really Premier League attendances the 3pm Blackout is meant to support - its the turnout for lower league clubs playing their games at 3pm on a Saturday.
    Is there really an issue though, or is this a solution to a perceived problem that may never have existed? We know from midweek games being on at the same time as live PL or Carling Cup games with "big" teams are on TV, that attendances at lower league games are affected minimally, if they're affected at all.

Why the FA don't allow a trial of TV games at 3pm for say, half a season, to see how it goes, I don't know. I doubt it'd have much if any affect on live attendances - as has been covered plenty of times here and elsewhere, most go to live games for the experience, and you can't get that same experience from watching TV.

If there's such a worry, the PL should agree to compensate clubs for the duration of the trial if their attendances go down by a certain, agreed amount (which I doubt) - the PL make enough money, so this would be doable, and I think arguably preferable for them, as if the trial proves a success, then they can recoup the money, and probably more, selling the 3pm rights here.
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting move by the Premier League. If the 3pm blackout is enforced in more and more international markets, foreign rights for the Bundesliga will become slightly more attractive. :)
  • Options
    acmoldacmold Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    If most Premier League games were moved to Sunday, wouldn't that help with that issue?

Yes and also trying to keep one night in the week free from live TV football would also help. I know that is hard with European games but it could be achieved with domestic games.

Tuesday night attendances at most levels are now at an all time low.
  • Options
    andrewpandrewp Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It might, but it would kill attendances in the Premier League.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gabriele Marcotti has advocated a regional system like this and I think in theory its a really good idea.

I just don't think the UK is big enough for it to work. In particular there are clubs located geographically close to each other, so how do you define "regional"

If you're a West Ham fan, living in the London Borough of Newham, and you can see all the away games on TV would it stop you doing to an away game at Tottenham? Or Arsenal, Or Chelsea? Or even Norwich?

It probably would.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andrewp wrote: »
    It might, but it would kill attendances in the Premier League.

I seriously doubt that, every game at Anfield for the rest of the season has been sold out, bar a few General sale tickets which go on sale 21 days before the match & some tickets for disabled viewers are still available. But those are the only hope of getting to see the game live & I assume that most clubs within the Premier League, would be the same with tickets sold out for members & only a few are allocated for the general sale.

Also out of the remaining fixtures of the current season, I very much doubt that the majority of them will have televised rights within the UK. I cannot speak for all clubs, but seat allocation for matches at home for Liverpool have been more or less filled. I don't know how it works for other clubs in the PL. but for Liverpool the sale of tickets for membership holders are sold in two halves.

For games in August through to January tickets are sold in June July time & for fixtures from January to May, tickets are sold to members only in November & that is if you are lucky to get a ticket, due to the amount of members there are trying to get seats.

General sale tickets for all matches at Anfield, go on sale Between 18-21 days before the match is due to take place. I cannot speak for other teams policy for selling tickets, to members & general sale, but I can only assume that it is the same or similar for all clubs in the league.

Basically seats have already been paid for and filled for all of the current season regardless of what games are going to be televised or not. I know that Anfield gets packed solid regardless of what games are being televised to such an extent that members will only get tickets to certain games, if they have attended x amount of Away fixtures from the previous season. I can only assume that every club in the Premier league has a massive fan base, that will go & support their team regardless if the game is televised or not.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samburrows wrote: »
    Just to point out, we still don't know where this decision was taken and who by.

You mightn't know - I got the news yesterday on Sky Italia's facebook page. Maybe I should've clarified but I assumed everybody was aware at the time I posted.
    FOX SPORTS comunica ai suoi spettatori la decisione della Barclays Premier League di non rendere temporaneamente possibile in Italia la trasmissione integrale delle partite in calendario il sabato alle 16.00. Gli incontri non saranno visibili sul canale già a partire da sabato 23 novembre.

It was also posted earlier in this very thread ( a direct link and quote).

Sky Italia also offered the following in response to a question (translated):
    The decision was made ONLY from the Premier League and Sky is that Mediaset could not interfere. Obviously we will work for the withdrawal of this bad news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a look and the majority of Bundesliga games start at 2.30pm on Saturday.

Top league football in Italy really isn't in a healthy state, why would we want to copy them?

The current system broadly works, football in this country has a tradition of being played at 3pm on a Saturday and you would have to have a really good reason to justify stopping all 3pm Saturday games.

Not all 3pms, just Premier League and the justification would be the financial reward!
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Doesn't effect the Bundesliga 1 or 2 good stuff, and my team isn't in the Premier League.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BC2JyCPCYAEH2O9.jpg:large - this is the attendance from a Bundesliga 2 game last season when Hertha Berlin were there against local rivals Union Berlin, this is a regular thing.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JackFoley wrote: »
    Regarding Al Jazeera: there are rumors, reported here on this thread as well, that they're now gonna broadcast JUST one 3 pm game.

The website would appear to bear this out - games on .tv and only one 3pm k.o.

http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Schedule

Good news for rugby fans as it means the Saturday afternoon games are back on the main channels!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A compromise for me would be the clubs themselves can stream 3pm games but only to people who are season ticket holders/members of that particular club.

A decent idea, that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A compromise for me would be the clubs themselves can stream 3pm games but only to people who are season ticket holders/members of that particular club.

Can't help but think that's a slippery slope to teams selling their own television rights a la La Liga. Can't be a good idea as it just widens the gap between the richer clubs and everyone else.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All clubs streaming games but not affect home attendances?

You buy a "season ticket pass" for obne club to the TV company concerned who, when you log in to the webstream, will block the club's home games but allow the away games.

So, in the third division, to watch all your team's home games you would require 23 (24?) TV season tickets. Probably only the richest fans could afford that!

Drawback is as every game is screened throughout the leagues, piracy would grab many of them and they would then be available to all regardless of holding a TV season ticket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    All clubs streaming games but not affect home attendances?

You buy a "season ticket pass" for obne club to the TV company concerned who, when you log in to the webstream, will block the club's home games but allow the away games.

So, in the third division, to watch all your team's home games you would require 23 (24?) TV season tickets. Probably only the richest fans could afford that!

Drawback is as every game is screened throughout the leagues, piracy would grab many of them and they would then be available to all regardless of holding a TV season ticket.

And the massive clubs will make millions and millions of pounds, the smaller ones will make not so much. Thus further widening the gap between big and small.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    The website would appear to bear this out - games on .tv and only one 3pm k.o.

http://www.en.aljazeerasport.tv/Schedule

Good news for rugby fans as it means the Saturday afternoon games are back on the main channels!

That website indicates 5 live games at 3pm UK time, (6pm local time)

With 1 game at 12 noon UK time, (3pm local time) presumably on air early for the 12.45 ko.
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    That website indicates 5 live games at 3pm UK time, (6pm local time)
    But only one of them seems to be on satellite (HD6), the others are online-only.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the least, I don't see why we can't have full delayed coverage of every Premier League game (that Sky have the rights for) later in the evening.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the massive clubs will make millions and millions of pounds, the smaller ones will make not so much. Thus further widening the gap between big and small.

So what's new???
  • Options
    Brian_BourdonBrian_Bourdon Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    NBC Sports Channel still follow the party line and broadcast the 'Game of the Week' from the Premier League, like the rest of the world.

Sports Extra does broadcast the rest of the games but you need a cable or satellite login to access them and half the time the service doesn't work (freezes, etc)
  • Options
    WoborbyWoborby Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    At the least, I don't see why we can't have full delayed coverage of every Premier League game (that Sky have the rights for) later in the evening.

Looks like they do - if you look at the "+10" schedule - in the early hours..

Hull vs Crystal Palace (R) English Premier League 03:00
    Newcastle vs Norwich (R) English Premier League 04:45
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woborby wrote: »
    Looks like they do - if you look at the "+10" schedule - in the early hours..

Hull vs Crystal Palace (R) English Premier League 03:00
    Newcastle vs Norwich (R) English Premier League 04:45

Not really helpful in this part of the world as nobody has a PVR to record it!