Forum Member
    ✭✭

You couldn't do that round my way. They're all halal!!^_^
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Because you still have to play a game of 20 Questions over what bread you want, what salad, what toppings and loads of other options. If I'm out and about it's much easier to pop into Boots or M&S to get a sandwich from them.

It's not that hard. You choose your bread, say your filling, whether you want cheese and it toasted, pick your salad, pick your sauce. If you don't want any salad or sauce, you simply say no.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Again the stars are irrelevant, they pass and then are not checked out again for another year or so...so yes irrelevant in my mind. A lot of the checklist relates to silly little things rather than actual hygiene standards, and even then the inspectors don't all sing of the same hymn sheet, one might pass you, another might fail you.

So yes hygiene matters, but the stars aren't all that.

The stars may be irrelevant to you, but other than by word of mouth, that's all one has to go on. I appreciate that some inspectors have different criteria for what makes a pass or a fail, but one would hope with a standard check list, most would reach the same conclusion.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Because you still have to play a game of 20 Questions over what bread you want, what salad, what toppings and loads of other options. If I'm out and about it's much easier to pop into Boots or M&S to get a sandwich from them.

And there you have a large choice of different sandwiches to choose from, so which one do you choose, or do you eat the same sandwich every time, which let's face it, is a bit boring and unadventurous. What you're saying is a pretty non argument really, as all takeaways offer a large range of different options, so why single out Subway.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you order a sandwich and a relay race kicks off,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Subway is fantastic. I had a few in Bangkok last week. They charge 160Baht which equates to £2.97 for a footlong!

Not fair! It's about £5.20 here!
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    The revolting smell of the place puts me off. You can tell when you're coming up to one without even seeing the name of the shop.:(

When I was in Australia, they had the same stink.

Normally when you go past a proper bakery you have a smell of nice bread wafting out.

That's what many of us have said. There is no way that artificial smell is baking bread at all!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again the stars are irrelevant, they pass and then are not checked out again for another year or so...so yes irrelevant in my mind. A lot of the checklist relates to silly little things rather than actual hygiene standards, and even then the inspectors don't all sing of the same hymn sheet, one might pass you, another might fail you.

So yes hygiene matters, but the stars aren't all that.

That doesn't make them 'irrelevant' at all.

ANY test can only test at that specific time, but food hygiene inspectors should make a conceded effort to ensure that the business is being run well all of the time from a safety point of view.

And I'm not sure what you consider to be 'silly little things', but access to hand-washing facilities and checking stock/product date-coding etc. don't sound silly to me.

It's not hard to see if a business has cleaned up just for an inspection, and this can be noted which can lead to more regular inspections.
  • Options
    ChopanChopan Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should I be ashamed to be putting an apprenticeship placement at Subway on my CV, after all the controversy of the basic wage?
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chopan wrote: »
    Should I be ashamed to be putting an apprenticeship placement at Subway on my CV, after all the controversy of the basic wage?

No I don't think you should feel ashamed. You were prepared to work for an absolute pittance which shows you are willing to work.

It's Subway who ought to feel ashamed if anyone should
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer a bridge to a creepy subway. I wouldn't be seen dead in Chester subway. Or maybe I would! :o

No seriously, can't stand spicy food (apart from garlic bread :blush:). Would never set foot in a Subway of my own volition.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Subway is fantastic. I had a few in Bangkok last week. They charge 160Baht which equates to £2.97 for a footlong!

Not fair! It's about £5.20 here!

Yes, but the minimum wage in Thailand is 300 BHT per day. That makes a Subway much more expensive for a local than it is here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    I prefer a bridge to a creepy subway. I wouldn't be seen dead in Chester subway. Or maybe I would! :o

No seriously, can't stand spicy food (apart from garlic bread :blush:). Would never set foot in a Subway of my own volition.

I don't think you understand what 'spicy' means..
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    That doesn't make them 'irrelevant' at all.

ANY test can only test at that specific time, but food hygiene inspectors should make a conceded effort to ensure that the business is being run well all of the time from a safety point of view.

And I'm not sure what you consider to be 'silly little things', but access to hand-washing facilities and checking stock/product date-coding etc. don't sound silly to me.

It's not hard to see if a business has cleaned up just for an inspection, and this can be noted which can lead to more regular inspections.

Well to me they are irrelevant. Subway could have all the stars in the world, the food is still expensive crap though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well to me they are irrelevant. Subway could have all the stars in the world, the food is still expensive crap though.

If they are that irrelevant to you, then you aren't very clever.

I never said it was indicative of taste or quality, but it is a damn good indicator of hygiene and food safety.

Feel free to eat in 1 and 2 star venues, but expect food poisoning.

ETA: As it's not even that 'hard' to get a 5 star rating, anywhere with 1/2 stars is really, really, really, really dirty...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you understand what 'spicy' means..

I do thanks, sweetheart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do thanks, sweetheart.

You clearly don't.

You proved that by declaring that garlic bread was spicy and that you'd avoid Subway because that's spicy.

Subway may sell a few spicy sandwiches, but most of what they sell isn't.

For example, a ham sub, or a chicken sub, or a tuna sub.. etc..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You clearly don't.

You proved that by declaring that garlic bread was spicy and that you'd avoid Subway because that's spicy.

Subway may sell a few spicy sandwiches, but most of what they sell isn't.

For example, a ham sub, or a chicken sub, or a tuna sub.. etc..

Garlic bread IS a little spicy. But otherwise you've dispelled a myth for me today, I assumed everything Subway sold was spicy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they are that irrelevant to you, then you aren't very clever.

I never said it was indicative of taste or quality, but it is a damn good indicator of hygiene and food safety.

Feel free to eat in 1 and 2 star venues, but expect food poisoning.

ETA: As it's not even that 'hard' to get a 5 star rating, anywhere with 1/2 stars is really, really, really, really dirty...

I don't both looking, just go on word of mouth or if a place is busy it means the food must be good. Never yet in this Country had food poisoning must be doing something right all these years, without food hygiene certificates to guide me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that people don't seem to care too much about their exploitative employment practises? Does nobody actually give a damn? :confused:
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plymgary wrote: »
    I can't believe that people don't seem to care too much about their exploitative employment practises? Does nobody actually give a damn? :confused:

Tell us what they are then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garlic bread IS a little spicy. But otherwise you've dispelled a myth for me today, I assumed everything Subway sold was spicy.

You haven't missed much though, by avoiding them...if I was you I would just keep on avoiding them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just to confirm, I'd imagine that their Chicken Teyriaki* is spicy by your definition, but you can just have plain chicken, in a plain white roll, with neutral sauces (ie Mayo) and whatever salad you choose.

*Don't know how you spell this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to confirm, I'd imagine that their Chicken Teyriaki* is spicy by your definition, but you can just have plain chicken, in a plain white roll, with neutral sauces (ie Mayo) and whatever salad you choose.

*Don't know how you spell this.

Neither would I tbh! :D Hmm, I'll have to pop in there some time, then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You haven't missed much though, by avoiding them...if I was you I would just keep on avoiding them.

Ah! :D